Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lemming posted:

Violence
It's a blatant throwback to earlier days.

Also fun reading for anyone who wondered how the Bible Belt arose out of the ashes of the Lost Cause.

e:tax!

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
These stories about reporters interviewing people and discovering that they'll still support Roy Moore are interesting but not really the point. There is still a month left for this scandal to unravel Moore's enthusiasm and that will translate into reduced turnout. Some portion of Joe/Jill Alabamas are going to wake up on December 12th and think "Oh yeah, I gotta vote. I'll do it later." And then when it's later and they've been working all day they'll just say gently caress it, or not even think about it again because they're already fatigued from a month of hearing about Roy Moore diddlin' teenagers. That reduced turnout is probably still not enough for a Democrat to win in Alabama but it will be interesting to see the result.

anyway just my hot take based on nothing

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/929124238912638982

Mason Dixon line? Atlanta?

I'm at a loss for what he could be suggesting here.

OK just to clarify, he's suggesting that if people write in Strange, and Jones wins, Strange should literally flee the state?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

OK just to clarify, he's suggesting that if people write in Strange, and Jones wins, Strange should literally flee the state?

Flee from the whole Confederacy even

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Azhais posted:

Or at least to the unredeemed portions, where those people still hold power.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Paracaidas posted:

Someone who, like most people, thinks that everywhere below the Mason-Dixon line is GOP territory and forgets about blue Maryland.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sharkbomb posted:

These stories about reporters interviewing people and discovering that they'll still support Roy Moore are interesting but not really the point. There is still a month left for this scandal to unravel Moore's enthusiasm and that will translate into reduced turnout. Some portion of Joe/Jill Alabamas are going to wake up on December 12th and think "Oh yeah, I gotta vote. I'll do it later." And then when it's later and they've been working all day they'll just say gently caress it, or not even think about it again because they're already fatigued from a month of hearing about Roy Moore diddlin' teenagers. That reduced turnout is probably still not enough for a Democrat to win in Alabama but it will be interesting to see the result.

anyway just my hot take based on nothing

That's always what it's been about. People have been confused (me included obviously) that it's been about convincing people of other viewpoints, but it's always been about depressing turnout for your enemies and promoting turnout for your base. This will definitely depress turnout for Moore, but it won't change the mind of a single Republican.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paracaidas posted:

https://twitter.com/VaughnHillyard/status/929124238912638982

They’ll kill whoever instigated the write in campaign.

Smilin Joe Fission
Jan 24, 2007
The arguably traitorous "compromise of 1877" set back the cause of civil rights and basic human freedom by about about 80 years or so in the US after the Civil War. If Reconstruction had not ended in 1877 and all of the Redeemers not rolled back the early gains of the FIRST civil rights era in the US, we probably could have had the civil rights movement in the 1880's on a massive scale instead of the 1960's. Especially imagine if Lincoln had survived for another several years in office and remained an influential civil rights advocate for years afterward... Things could have been a lot different for sure!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In case you didn't think the smear campaign was coming, we've already had an alt-right rear end in a top hat doxx this woman on Twitter, and now Fox is desperately trying to tie her to the Clintons

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/929117261499166721

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Phoix posted:

They're pulling out.

That's not effective birthcontrol.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/AP/status/929142126759350272

So yeah, the TPP still happened without us

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Azhais posted:

These... these people know the Civil War ended and they lost badly right? Referencing Atlanta and the mason Dixon line is just :psyduck:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Paracaidas posted:

It's a blatant throwback to earlier days.

Also fun reading for anyone who wondered how the Bible Belt arose out of the ashes of the Lost Cause.

e:tax!

This dog is currently magnetically aligned with the north.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

TulliusCicero posted:

These... these people know the Civil War ended and they lost badly right? Referencing Atlanta and the mason Dixon line is just :psyduck:

No, they don't

They still think they were justified by Slavery Things that totally weren't slavery, and that it was the North's fault for not compromising on Slavery stuff and things, but totes not Slavery. In fact, the North forced us to use slaves.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

National Republicans are going to whip these stupid fuckers into line

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

National Republicans are going to whip these stupid fuckers into line

Hey, how is 2004? You should totally invest in Google, right now btw

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Seems as if this would be a blow for all of those who argued it was American economic imperialism and also couldn't be arsed to learn about the drat thing.

Though that would require selfreflection and that's almost as difficult as learning.

Given Trump's travel schedule, the timing of this is a hilarious fuckoff to the administration and a competent State department would have prevented or at least delayed this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TulliusCicero posted:

Sherman didn't go far enough.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Meh. The unions were against it, I'm not going to reflexively support just because Trump was also against it.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Sorus posted:

Someone who, like most people, thinks that everywhere below the Mason-Dixon line is GOP territory and forgets about blue Maryland.

I grew up in the “red” part of Maryland and let me tell you. The republicans in Maryland foam at the mouth to tell you how Maryland would be super conservative if it wasn’t for those “urban” people in Baltimore constantly voting to take their money away to give handouts to all the people who refuse to work in the city. Outside of the Baltimore and parts of Annapolis, Maryland may as well be the south. Hell, I can’t even count how many times in high school I heard the confederate flag waving bros explain that Maryland would have been confederate if LINCOLN HADN’T ILLEGALLY OCCUPIED THE STATE! :argh:

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It'll come down to Democratic enthusiasm and whether Republicans actually try to mount a Luther Strange write-in campaign, which would almost certainly split the ticket. The thing to note here is that all of these reporters are interviewing Roy Moore supporters, and noting that they continue to support him, but that's only 55% of Alabama's Republican primary voters. Roy Moore won the primary, but Luther Strange got enough of the vote that even if only 1 in 5 of his voters were too disgusted to go to the polls and pull the lever -- not even vote for a Democrat, but just fail to vote -- that would most likely sink Moore's election chances. If they could be convinced to try a write in campaign, that could sink Moore entirely.

the dnc should spend their money encouraging people to write in strange

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

Solidly Republican, yes. Full blown, no. The Rock isn't screaming for LGBT to be persecuted and I can't think of if/when he's ever played up religion.

Why are you fighting so hard to defend a pedophile?

Stripping and making a 14 yr old strip, then trying to get her to give you a handjob, is a sex act. Vaginal and anal sex are not the only things that count as 'sex acts' you rear end in a top hat.

Unironically linking to Seth Abramson without also providing a valid source for his tweets should be a probable offense. Same with Louise Mensch.

Oh hey it's that exact thing I've been saying. Twitter is run by garbage dudebro Nazi supporters. It's not some misunderstanding that causes Nazis to get supported while their detractors are banned quickly, it's Twitter working exactly as the people running it intend it to.

The dollar sign is after the amount too. You know, the way that USD isn't actually displayed by any American.

Alan Colmes was a willing heel, IIRC.

I read Alan Colmes book once and thought it was pretty good honestly. I emailed him about something on the show and he answered me right back in a really nice way.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

dbukalski posted:

I would wager the rock is republican because the people around him most of his life have been republican.

when you hear the same fox news talking points from people you love and respect your world view aligns.

he even performed a country music song with guitar bashing hillary in the wwe ring prior to elections.

he is full blown republican. i lov his movies though
This is many pages back, but Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is currently registered as independent per a Washington Post article from earlier this year.

Also the "country music song" you're talking about was from 2013 where he did a song making GBS threads all over Vickie Guerrero, who was an evil wrestling manager at the time, though if you google "the rock hillary clinton" an edit will show up, with the top comment being that it is an edit from the 2013 Vickie Guerrero song.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

SaturdayKnight posted:

I grew up in the “red” part of Maryland and let me tell you. The republicans in Maryland foam at the mouth to tell you how Maryland would be super conservative if it wasn’t for those “urban” people in Baltimore constantly voting to take their money away to give handouts to all the people who refuse to work in the city. Outside of the Baltimore and parts of Annapolis, Maryland may as well be the south. Hell, I can’t even count how many times in high school I heard the confederate flag waving bros explain that Maryland would have been confederate if LINCOLN HADN’T ILLEGALLY OCCUPIED THE STATE! :argh:

You forgot DC suburbs; also v. Blue.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SaturdayKnight posted:

This is pretty much every southern state, and it even applies to other states from other regions. The whole urban/rural divide is more important in the 21st century than geography.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

In case you didn't think the smear campaign was coming, we've already had an alt-right rear end in a top hat doxx this woman on Twitter, and now Fox is desperately trying to tie her to the Clintons

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/929117261499166721

But why did she wait so long to speak out indeed.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

This forum's opposition to TPP was pretty lame at best

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

You forgot DC suburbs; also v. Blue.

That was dumb, I miss visiting DC. It was such a nice place. I heard plenty of complaints about the “criminals” in DC taking trains into Maryland and destroying those poor innocent white neighborhoods. I’m glad I’m not around those people anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hillary and Bernie were both also against tpp you know.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

SaturdayKnight posted:

That was dumb, I miss visiting DC. It was such a nice place. I heard plenty of complaints about the “criminals” in DC taking trains into Maryland and destroying those poor innocent white neighborhoods. I’m glad I’m not around those people anymore.

Prince George's county is notable for being the richest minority-majority county in the nation, too! Really nice area, Maryland was kinda great.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hillary and Bernie were both also against tpp you know.

While it can be tough to tell from these forums generally, complex policy questions are generally not best viewed through the lens of the neverending slapfight. Also Hillary's stance changed late enough so as to not count, according to the official arbiters of such things.

Have we heard how this is going to impact the international anime markets yet? Anxious posters would like to know!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

SaturdayKnight posted:

Anne Arundel is where Annapolis is and it is less blue than Montgomery County, PG County, Howard County, and Charles County (counties you didn't mention beyond Baltimore). Like, it's not even close.

The number of people that voted Democratic in Montgomery County alone exceeds those that voted Republican in Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Carroll, Cecil, Worcester, Frederick, Kent and Talbot counties COMBINED.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

dbukalski posted:

the dnc should spend their money encouraging people to write in strange

Has there ever been an example of an opposing party stirring up a write-in campaign against the primary winner? I feel like I've heard of this happening but can't recall...

It would be an interesting way to hurt Roy Moore without getting any overtly Democratic fingers on it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I read Alan Colmes book once and thought it was pretty good honestly. I emailed him about something on the show and he answered me right back in a really nice way.

He always seemed like an okay guy yeah. it was always clear he was far smarter than Hannity and loathed being there though.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Like just to emphasize how weird this conversation is, the vote was 357,000 Clinton to 92,000 Trump in Montgomery County. The vote was 344,000 Clinton to 32,000 in PG County.

Meanwhile in Annapolis and Anne Arundel the vote was even.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The naval academy is in Annapolis, might have something to do with it

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Anne Arundel is where Annapolis is and it is less blue than Montgomery County, PG County, Howard County, and Charles County (counties you didn't mention beyond Baltimore). Like, it's not even close.

The number of people that voted Democratic in Montgomery County alone exceeds those that voted Republican in Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Carroll, Cecil, Worcester, Frederick, Kent and Talbot counties COMBINED.

You can try and tell Maryland republicans that. But it’s not about the fact that they are outnumbered, they will only believe there is a conspiracy to steal their money to give it to the people in the Baltimore. It was just racism, and I was too young to understand it back then. I know what Maryland is, I’m just giving you the alternate reality version of Maryland the republicans live in.

I mean, just a few days ago my mother texted me to complain about the city getting more funding for something or other when their town wasn’t. Their town doesn’t need anything, it’s perfectly fine. Hell it even had a decent rail station for a small town. I never understood how racist my family really was, until I went away to college and actually saw the world.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

boner confessor posted:

this is what is going to happen, same as ceelo green. he can still have a job outside of the spotlight but his days on the public stage are over

Wait what the gently caress did Ceelo do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Prince George's county is notable for being the richest minority-majority county in the nation, too! Really nice area, Maryland was kinda great.

The motto when you crossed the river on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge was always hilarious though: "Prince George County: A Livable Community".

Oh man did people get touchy if they heard you call it PG county.

• Locked thread