Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

They (or any other platform other than Facebook) need to retool and start advertising. I imagine some other company with a big enough push could steal off users easily from Twitter at this point.

Yeah, I'm surprised some company hasn't made a concerted effort to pick off dissatisfied Twitter users yet. I know I'd sign up for a platform that's similar to Twitter, but without the Nazis/harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tumblr probably has even worse nazis on it than twitter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chilichimp posted:

Same. Until an official Luther Strange write-in campaign launches, not a single republican opinion matters until it becomes "Vote for the democrat".

I'll take "I will stay home and not vote if the only options are Roy Moore and a Democrat".

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

This is from a few pages back but isn't any kind of sexual relations with a minor considered rape? As in statutory rape?

Remembering from the WaPi article, the crime Moore committed when he asked the girl to touch his penis was called something like "sexual contact with a minor" and carried a maximum sentence of 10 years jail time, though statute of limitations is up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised some company hasn't made a concerted effort to pick off dissatisfied Twitter users yet. I know I'd sign up for a platform that's similar to Twitter, but without the Nazis/harassment.

The problem is twitter's value is the userbase not the software. Twitter is interesting because of who else is on it. A nazi-free twitter alternative is worthless if you don't have the userbase that drives twitter. So the barrier to entry on twitter alternatives is very high.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do people think the tech dudebros and assholes who run Twitter aren't Trump supporters? Even the few who claim to be against him are far more against kicking off people who bring traffic to their tech bubble company.

Silicon valley donates huge sums to the DNC and was heavily behind Hillary.

They'll take money from anywhere because they are a business.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

DaveWoo posted:

There's a guy named Adrian Jackson who's currently developing something like that. It's something that I think a lot of people want.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

IUG posted:

Why haven't people moved to Tumblr or something else? It's not like it's that hard to adjust to another platform. Is Tumblr also run by shitheads?

Tumblr is great if you want to follow a bunch of photoblogs that appeal to your own aesthetic or personal interests, but it's loving horrible for anything else.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Charliegrs posted:

This is from a few pages back but isn't any kind of sexual relations with a minor considered rape? As in statutory rape?

statutory just means that the charge applies even if the victim was willing

based on what i've read, if moore committed the same offence under current alabama law he could be charged with sexual abuse in the first degree, a misdemeanor which upgrades to a felony if there is another sexual offence commited within a year. he could also be charged with enticing a minor into a vehicle for sexual purposes, which is a felony. both of these charges are statutory

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Dejawesp posted:

Yes but that's because he aspires to be president and the republicans are the ones most likely to pick him as candidate. He's going to run on the ticket that Arnold couldn't due to being foreign born.

I would wager the rock is republican because the people around him most of his life have been republican.

when you hear the same fox news talking points from people you love and respect your world view aligns.

he even performed a country music song with guitar bashing hillary in the wwe ring prior to elections.

he is full blown republican. i lov his movies though

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

IUG posted:

Why haven't people moved to Tumblr or something else? It's not like it's that hard to adjust to another platform. Is Tumblr also run by shitheads?

Have you been living under an internet rock? How do you not know about Tumblr 's crazyness?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem is twitter's value is the userbase not the software. Twitter is interesting because of who else is on it. A nazi-free twitter alternative is worthless if you don't have the userbase that drives twitter. So the barrier to entry on twitter alternatives is very high.

This is true but I kind of feel like Twitter is so lovely right now that it's kind of ripe for a mass migration and establishment of a viable competitor. Not Myspace to Facebook level of ripe, but that general idea. I'm probably wrong as hell unfortunately.

Speaking of, why does Twitter not have buttons where you can directly link/post a tweet onto Facebook? Simply because Facebook is a competing social medium, and one that is far more successful?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Tumblr is great if you want to follow a bunch of photoblogs that appeal to your own aesthetic or personal interests, but it's loving horrible for anything else.

Yeah, tumblr individually listing each 'like' in the same space as comments is a really odd choice.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/928987526404214784

Am I reading this right, did SA just straight up kidnap the Lebanese PM?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's now over $50,000
https://www.gofundme.com/thank-you-juli-briskman

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mutata posted:

I thought the whole point of the age of consent law was that people below that age CAN'T consent?

They did not accuse him of engaging in sex acts with them, to be specific. Just of inappropriate touching in clearly creepy circumstances. Like the Kevin Spacey/ young Anthony Rapp thing it's criminal sexual contact but not rape.

Which again is indefensible on its face so its best not to give anyone an out with an inaccurate charge.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arglebargle III posted:

They did not accuse him of engaging in sex acts with them, to be specific. Just of inappropriate touching in clearly creepy circumstances. Like the Kevin Spacey/ young Anthony Rapp thing it's criminal sexual contact but not rape.

Which again is indefensible on its face so its best not to give anyone an out with an inaccurate charge.

I dunno, I think most reasonable people would consider "stripped her down to her underwear and made her touch his dick through his briefs" to be a sex act.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah legally thats a sex act

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Arglebargle III posted:

You need to stop.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zwabu posted:

This is true but I kind of feel like Twitter is so lovely right now that it's kind of ripe for a mass migration and establishment of a viable competitor. Not Myspace to Facebook level of ripe, but that general idea. I'm probably wrong as hell unfortunately.

Speaking of, why does Twitter not have buttons where you can directly link/post a tweet onto Facebook? Simply because Facebook is a competing social medium, and one that is far more successful?

Honestly we should just nationalize both of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

So apparently the far-right media folks are doxxing Moore's accusers and posting the info on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/929038138093330434

i got a 24 hour shadowban for tweeting "you're trash" at a woman who said the victim was getting paid to make her accusation.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/13A-6-69.htm

quote:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person with lascivious intent to entice, allure, persuade, or invite, or attempt to entice, allure, persuade, or invite, any child under 16 years of age to enter any vehicle, room, house, office, or other place for the purpose of proposing to such child the performance of an act of sexual intercourse or an act which constitutes the offense of sodomy or for the purpose of proposing the fondling or feeling of the sexual or genital parts of such child or the breast of such child, or for the purpose of committing an aggravated assault on such child, or for the purpose of proposing that such child fondle or feel the sexual or genital parts of such person.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/codeofalabama/1975/15-3-5.htm

quote:

Offenses having no limitation.

(a) There is no limitation of time within which a prosecution must be commenced for:

(4) Any sex offense involving a victim under 16 years of age, regardless of whether it involves force or serious physical injury or death;

Pretty sure that clears up the legal definition of what he is being accused of.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You're forgetting that the statute of limitation that applies is the one when the crime was committed not the current one.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/politicoalex/status/929050128677294080

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do people think the tech dudebros and assholes who run Twitter aren't Trump supporters? Even the few who claim to be against him are far more against kicking off people who bring traffic to their tech bubble company.

not banning trump specifically and the nazis in general hosed them out of at least one sale.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

ithappening.gif

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is this going to seriously hurt his campaign?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Instead of winning 76-22 he might win 56 to 40 so yeah.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
https://twitter.com/sethabramson/status/929021618961215488

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/929047811215253504

Posobiec went into the safe space.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dietrich posted:

Instead of winning 76-22 he might win 56 to 40 so yeah.

he was up somewhere around 6-11 points before this.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Wow, the long con to get daddy Putin's approval.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

That's stupid and petty enough to be totally believable.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've often thought something that replicated the functionality of either twitter or FB, but had the $10 charge like SA and had actual real moderation could be great.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/929050554873065472

:thunk:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

You're forgetting that the statute of limitation that applies is the one when the crime was committed not the current one.

So, this allegedly happened in 1979. Typically statutes of limitations for offenses against a minor don't start until the minor turns 18, so 1983. Statute of limitations for a felony is 5 years going through 1988.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/alison/CodeOfAlabama/1975/Coatoc.htm

quote:

Section 15-3-1

Felonies generally.

Except as otherwise provided by law, the prosecution of all felonies, except those specified in Section 15-3-3, Section 15-3-5, or any other felony that has a specified limitations period, shall be commenced within five years after the commission of the offense.

Section 15-3-5

Offenses having no limitation.

(a) There is no limitation of time within which a prosecution must be commenced for:
(2) To all crimes committed before January 7, 1985, for which no statute of limitations provided under pre-existing law has run as of January 7, 1985.

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 10, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Good thread

https://twitter.com/kebrightbill/status/928815110679859200

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Please stop posting Seth Abramson tweets

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dejawesp posted:

Yes but that's because he aspires to be president and the republicans are the ones most likely to pick him as candidate. He's going to run on the ticket that Arnold couldn't due to being foreign born.

Remember when people feared the possibility of Arnold Schwarzenegger becoming president?

And now, being more like Arnold Schwarzenegger would legitimately be the absolute best outcome for the Republican party

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

namaste faggots posted:

Please stop posting Seth Abramson tweets

Change your username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you know what i never got how arnold kept his affair under wraps for so long. the kid looks just like him.

• Locked thread