Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Also again, this is Snyder's fifth? Sixth? Comic book movie he personally directed in eleven years.

That is insane.

Oh yeah true as well

So yeah honestly it's going to be hard for literally any director of comic book movies to catch up to horrible failure Zack Snyder lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I just watched Wonder woman, what a load of poo poo that was. Gal gadot can't act.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They should bring Snyder on board to direct the Metal Gear Solid movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serf posted:

drat both those movies rule tho

I don't like Superman 4 very much but Batman and Robin is silly fun.

Anyway I never said that they were bad, my point was that Batman/Superman are not some kind of box office immunity, JL can fail. It probably won't though but who knows? We're in the Zone now.

Gorn Myson posted:

They should bring Snyder on board to direct the Metal Gear Solid movie.

Snyder loves to betray the audience so this isn't a bad idea. He should get to direct one of the short films like they did with Blade Runner 2049.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Superman 4. Batman and Robin (a bit of a stretch to call it a "bomb" but it underperformed so badly that it iced the franchise for 9 years (pun intended))

How dare you, Superman 4 easily reclaimed its incredibly meagre budget.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think I like Batman and Robin more than The Dark Knight. I know objectively TDK is infinity a better film.

But I love watching B&R. I love the set design, I love the costumes, I love the performances, I love the gags.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I don't like Superman 4 very much but Batman and Robin is silly fun.

Anyway I never said that they were bad, my point was that Batman/Superman are not some kind of box office immunity, JL can fail. It probably won't though but who knows? We're in the Zone now.

i seriously doubt it at this point, but its possible. marvel seems to be able to make the passable movies constantly that churn out money and even with their lesser quality the dccu movies have done good business too. i just don't see how they can fail when they have access to the most recognizable superheroes in the world. slap those names on a movie and the audiences have gotta turn up

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Burkion posted:

Mickey Mouse first.

This is actually set to happen around 2024, but there's a legal mess surrounding it, and by 2024 Disney will be one of the four corporations running the country, so probably they'll extended it, almost certainly they'll get their own pair of Senators and members of house to respect their corpo-human rights.

http://copyright.nova.edu/mickey-public-domain/

Serf
May 5, 2011

more like copro-human rights

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

His daughter died and it hosed him up. He even said "it hosed me up and I don't care about this movie anymore."

Superman 4. Batman and Robin (a bit of a stretch to call it a "bomb" but it underperformed so badly that it iced the franchise for 9 years (pun intended))

At first I read that as Superman 4: Batman and Robin and laughed but then again Batman v Superman was basically Man of Steel 2: Here's Batman.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

i seriously doubt it at this point, but its possible. marvel seems to be able to make the passable movies constantly that churn out money and even with their lesser quality the dccu movies

DC movies are superior by dint of them actually looking like movies. The MCU is amateur hour horseshit.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DLC Inc posted:

sounds just as whatever as Avengers "yeah it's good and the future looks better" well ok

you have to remember how people reacted to Avengers when it came out and still feel about it now though. Like, I know most of the people here see Avengers as dumb fun popcorn film at best and ugly shitpile at worst, but most critics still consider it one of the highlights of the whole Marvel Studios collection and back when it came out everyone treated it like a loving revelation.

Justice League getting a mild by comparison reception is probably not a very good sign.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Super Fan posted:

DC movies are superior by dint of them actually looking like movies. The MCU is amateur hour horseshit.

Come on now, there's some perfectly acceptable looking Marvel movies and occasionally they even put out a decent shot or sequence.

Somebody get me that sick Captain America as Machete shot from First Avenger.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Super Fan posted:

i'll agree to the second sentence, but the dccu movies look like hammered poo poo, op

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

DC Murderverse posted:

you have to remember how people reacted to Avengers when it came out and still feel about it now though. Like, I know most of the people here see Avengers as dumb fun popcorn film at best and ugly shitpile at worst, but most critics still consider it one of the highlights of the whole Marvel Studios collection and back when it came out everyone treated it like a loving revelation.

Justice League getting a mild by comparison reception is probably not a very good sign.

It is baffling to me when I see The Avengers ranked so high on Best of MCU lists. Like, I know it's the "payoff" film, but there are some really good MCU films, you shouldn't have to pad out your top 5.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is actually set to happen around 2024, but there's a legal mess surrounding it, and by 2024 Disney will be one of the four corporations running the country, so probably they'll extended it, almost certainly they'll get their own pair of Senators and members of house to respect their corpo-human rights.

http://copyright.nova.edu/mickey-public-domain/

This is like Universal Paperclips only the prime directive is to maintain Mickey Mouse's copyright. Release the hypno-drones!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bring back old gbs posted:

Sure, counted over 4+ months with foreign box office taken in to account.

It won't touch $350m domestically

The Avengers movie got +600 million domestic mostly because of Iron Man alone, considering it's more than the worldwide gross of both Thor and Captain America. Wonder Woman might play the same role here.

More critic tweets.

https://twitter.com/RogueCheddar/status/929030921809838080

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/929030901417299968

https://twitter.com/JennaBusch/status/929030921835053056

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

It is baffling to me when I see The Avengers ranked so high on Best of MCU lists. Like, I know it's the "payoff" film, but there are some really good MCU films, you shouldn't have to pad out your top 5.

Why do you think they keep hyping up Thanos and the infinity stones for the last thousand films? Avengers was an idea since Iron Man, so there was a lot of build-up and anticipation. So when it came out and it was mildly entertaining and sealed the deal on this shared cinematic universe poo poo that alone was worthy of praise. You can only be the first do do something, after that it's old news.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Serf posted:

i'll agree to the second sentence, but the dccu movies look like hammered poo poo, op

MoS and BvS are vastly better looking films than anything in the the MCU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think I like Batman and Robin more than The Dark Knight. I know objectively TDK is infinity a better film.

But I love watching B&R. I love the set design, I love the costumes, I love the performances, I love the gags.

Dark Knight is the worst of the Nolan trilogy and the race isn't remotely close.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Dark Knight is the worst of the Nolan trilogy and the race isn't remotely close.

Begins is the worst and the race ain’t even close

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Super Fan posted:

The gently caress is this

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Serf posted:

You blind bruh.

Super Fan posted:

You crazy mang.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Begins is the best.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Very surprised to learn that actual human beings enjoyed watching Batman and Robin. And Dark Knight is the worst of the Nolan trilogy? What bizarro world have I entered? Rises is completely incomprehensible. The plot straight up never makes any sense, at any point of the movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Super Fan posted:

MoS and BvS are vastly better looking films than anything in the the MCU

i disagree. i was being a little hyperbolic for fun, and mos actually had some cool stuff on krypton, but the rest of the movies are really ugly looking

actually, aren't they making a krypton movie or something? that could be cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Very surprised to learn that actual human beings enjoyed watching Batman and Robin. And Dark Knight is the worst of the Nolan trilogy? What bizarro world have I entered? Rises is completely incomprehensible. The plot straight up never makes any sense, at any point of the movie.

Welcome to cined

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn’t call Begins a bad movie but it’s certainly the most boring of the trilogy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

those burton-schumacher movies rule so hard. weird and then campy. my favorite flavor of batman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Begins is the best.

Easily. For all the weirdness in Rises, it gets so, so silly that I can't help but love it.

Dark Knight is a ponderous slog anytime Caine, Ledger or Oldman aren't on screen. I guess Eckhart is decent enough but Dent is such a horrible "tell, but refuse to show" character.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't mind Rises, I like it, but it's my least favorite. Bane makes that movie but I think it's just too long.

Dark Knight had a similar issue but it wraps up nicely so it's alright. The boat scene is really boring after the first time you watch it. The extras are so so bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Serf posted:

those burton-schumacher movies rule so hard. weird and then campy. my favorite flavor of batman.

Batman Forever is legit good. I'm not a fan of how Two-Face was portrayed, but I give it a pass because Tommy Lee Jones is a joy to watch.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wayne training with Neeson is by far the worst part of the entire trilogy. It’s just a struggle to get through. Neeson and Murphy are also fairly lame villains in retrospect.

Not a great entry to the series but I liked it at the time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman Forever is legit good. I'm not a fan of how Two-Face was portrayed, but I give it a pass because Tommy Lee Jones is a joy to watch.

Tommy Lee Jones is the worst thing in the film. Sorry but man, he's just acting like a goober the whole time, when that's exactly why Carrey was hired. They just look like they're trying to one up each other in being super annoying. (Which may not be far from the truth. Considering how Jones loving HATES Carrey)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Tommy Lee Jones is the worst thing in the film. Sorry but man, he's just acting like a goober the whole time, when that's exactly why Carrey was hired. They just look like they're trying to one up each other in being super annoying. (Which may not be far from the truth. Considering how Jones loving HATES Carrey)

That is, in fact, precisely how it was written up in the trades: Jones felt that Carrey was trying to upstage him, and so he amped up his performance volume. Carrey responded accordingly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Batman Forever is poo poo from a butt and between it and Batman & Robin, Forever is by far the worst. Val Kilmer was terrible and Chris O'Donnell just sucks as a rule. 90's Jim Carrey is totally insufferable as it is.

Batman & Robin is not altogether great, it's about thirty minutes too long and beyond the sets only really works because Arnold Schwarzenegger constantly owns in it. It's a fantastic costume, everything he says is incredible, the works.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I can't defend Jones, I can only say that it didn't personally bother me

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

my one "basic" film opinion is that Dark Knight owns and Heath Ledger owns. That movie feels like it moves a million miles an hour (except, yeah, the boat scenes but whatever) and it's gripping the entire time.

but I also think Batman & Robin is very entertaining so

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Welcome to cined

I mean that's literally the first time I've seen anyone anywhere say that about DK which I always assumed was the best regarded one by a margin. The CD opinion on DKR is considerably better than elsewhere tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I really like TDK mostly thanks to Joker... but if best means I want to watch it again the most, 60s Batman! will win forever.

• Locked thread