Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TBS has suspended production on Louis CK's animated series The Cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Lycus posted:

Is he actively involved in those other shows, or is it just contractually obligated producer credit?
He's been writing or cowriting this entire season of Better Things, and it has been a really good, critically acclaimed season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On the opposite end I believe he doesn't do anything hands on for One Mississippi.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah Tig has made that very clear.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

muscles like this! posted:

On the opposite end I believe he doesn't do anything hands on for One Mississippi.

The antagonist based on him in season 2 is very hands on.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I always wonder if there's any kind of behind the scenes 'hey you guys do what you have to do to save face and maybe we'll work together in the future when this dies down' talk when something like this happens. He's getting the full Kevin Spacey treatment, but his behavior, while awful, really doesn't seem to be on the same level to me, and some of this response seems more driven by timing than the specifics of the case (especially since it seems like this was kind of an open secret in the comedy world, and that the behavior doesn't seem to have been ongoing). It just seems to me like there are still going to be people who want to be in the Louis CK business a few years from now, after his apology tour.

When it comes to Tig specifically, who does seem to be going out of the way to burn bridges, it seems very hard to believe she had no idea at all about the rumors until recently. I don't think she's a bad person for hustling to make a buck and then developing a conscience once she made it, but I don't think it's super brave either.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 11, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo the finale of Nathan For You is high art. And the latest Mr. Robot is as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sinteres posted:

He's getting the full Kevin Spacey treatment, but his behavior, while awful, really doesn't seem to be on the same level to me

It's not about levels. Exerting your position of power to satisfy your own wrongs by making someone else feel uncomfortable and traumatised is wrong no matter what act you do.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's not about levels. Exerting your position of power to satisfy your own wrongs by making someone else feel uncomfortable and traumatised is wrong no matter what act you do.

Nobody's disputing that it was wrong. Saying there are no levels of wrongness or punishment in society is obviously untrue though, and shows how he's getting swept along in an overdue current (admittedly because his admission and apology is also overdue).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people are going to waffle and make some quasi-excuses about Louis CK not only because they like him and he's self deprecating but mainly because the rumors were already very public and a whole lot of people on some level or another had chosen to look beyond them. So there's probably some guilty feelings to spread around on this one. Kevin Spacey was a surprise. Louis isn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, Spacey clearly wasn't a surprise to many considering how prevalent the jokes about him were.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spacey's behavior involved multiple underage people and seems to have continued on the job basically until the allegations came out, whereas Louis seems to have learned his lesson long before the rumors came out about him. I don't think he's above reproach just because the acts were some time ago, but I do think the burn everything down approach taken by long time collaborators seems a bit much. I don't blame anyone who disagrees though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

precision posted:

Well, Spacey clearly wasn't a surprise to many considering how prevalent the jokes about him were.

In the industry sure, but I thought most of the public was surprised. On the other hand the rumors of Louis CK's behavior were pretty commonly known to fans of his and a common topic of conversation. That ends up making it a little murkier about how you feel about however you personally dealt with the rumors from the time you heard of them to the time they were confirmed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TigNotaro/status/929140139338686464

precision posted:

Holy poo poo the finale of Nathan For You is high art. And the latest Mr. Robot is as well.
No lie: I spent several minutes talking about how both of these affected me in my therapy session today.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sinteres posted:

Nobody's disputing that it was wrong. Saying there are no levels of wrongness or punishment in society is obviously untrue though, and shows how he's getting swept along in an overdue current (admittedly because his admission and apology is also overdue).

Saying this minimises the experience of victims and devalues the extent of the emotional damage. It tells victims that they shouldn't feel bad about it because 'at least it wasn't X'. We can always think of a situation worse than the one we went through and this causes long-term problems because it prevents victims from processing their experiences and leaves them with pent-up trauma. The only way we're going to confront the endemic issue of sexual harrassment in society is by accepting that the extent of the act itself does not correlate with the negative impact it has on the victim because all acts are based on this same underlying power exchange.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

Saying this minimises the experience of victims and devalues the extent of the emotional damage. It tells victims that they shouldn't feel bad about it because 'at least it wasn't X'. We can always think of a situation worse than the one we went through and this causes long-term problems because it prevents victims from processing their experiences and leaves them with pent-up trauma. The only way we're going to confront the endemic issue of sexual harrassment in society is by accepting that the extent of the act itself does not correlate with the negative impact it has on the victim because all acts are based on this same underlying power exchange.

I mean physical harm is traumatic too, and you wouldn't say all physical assaults are equivalent because saying a minor scuffle isn't the same as assault with a deadly weapon minimizes the experience of victims. Some actions or crimes are worse and more likely to cause trauma than others.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

STAC Goat posted:

Kevin Spacey was a surprise

.....no it loving wasn't, jokes about him being into kids or straight guys in a very forceful way have been around for decades in public media. It is the farthest thing from inside Hollywood gossip. CK is done for years at best, potentially for good. You only get out of the doghouse if a lot of powerful people fight for you. It remains to be seen if anyone will do that for Louie.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm guessing the (unsuccessful) right-wing comedians he casts will still hang out with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mulva posted:

.....no it loving wasn't, jokes about him being into kids or straight guys in a very forceful way have been around for decades in public media. It is the farthest thing from inside Hollywood gossip. CK is done for years at best, potentially for good. You only get out of the doghouse if a lot of powerful people fight for you. It remains to be seen if anyone will do that for Louie.

Fair enough. I personally never encountered them and I thought the immediate response to Spacey was surprise and the discovery of all those jokes only came after. But I accept that I'm just wrong and that Spacey's improper sexual behavior was commonly known amongst people and I just missed it.

I was just trying to make the point about how CK kind of represents a much "closer" example of the culture of excusing such behavior. The big part of this overall story is how many people knew about these predators and just allowed it to continue without speaking up or doing something. Given CK's popularity amongst the "goon" demo and how public his accusations were it ends up looking a bit like a microcosm of the bigger issue. Spacey and Weinstein had people in Hollywood looking the other way. CK of course had the same, but from our perspective he also had people much closer to home looking the other way. Which I think is why people around these parts are wringing hands over him a little more than the rest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think people are going to waffle and make some quasi-excuses about Louis CK not only because they like him and he's self deprecating but mainly because the rumors were already very public and a whole lot of people on some level or another had chosen to look beyond them. So there's probably some guilty feelings to spread around on this one. Kevin Spacey was a surprise. Louis isn't.

I think what bugs me the most about this whole Louis CK thing is a) He sounds less like a predator and more like a creepy harmless weirdo who'd always ask and then cry and whine and beg them to stay and b) All of these people and organizations rushing to cut all ties with him have been proudly supporting Roman Polanksi for decades.

Wheres the NYT article about Roman Polanksi getting a 13 year old girl drunk and then anally raping her, pleading guilty to the crime, then using his power and influence to flee the country and continue to have Hollywood fawn over his work since then?

If we're going to start outing and black-listing the gently caress out of all Hollywood predators and pedophiles can't we start with the OG of them all?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
So, what's the verditct on the The Leftovers finale now? It took me a few days to fully digest what happened after it aired, but since then I have grown to appreciate it more with every passing day. I think by now it might be my favorite TV finale of all time. That episode was just perfect in every way.

I just watched the scene at the wedding on YouTube and I actually started to tear up. This show is truly special, and if you haven't watched it you really should. Power through season 1 and go for the wild loving ride that seasons 2&3 offer.

Also: Am I crazy for putting Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux in the top 10 for the best ever TV performances? Because gently caress they were amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, yeah. Clearly Roman Polanski should be condemned and black balled just as much if not more and Hollywood's decades of coddling of him certainly fit will into the big picture story of how they condoned these abuses.

But as CK himself admits, its not about how he felt about his actions or whether he was self loathing or pathetic. Its about the power and influence he had over those women and the way he was using it to prey on them. Whether he actively saw it as predatory at the time or not, it was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In a lighter vein, this week's Gotham opens up with Solomon Grundy pulling a man's arm off and beating him to death with it while a crowd chants "stop hitting yourself."

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Popelmon posted:

So, what's the verditct on the The Leftovers finale now? It took me a few days to fully digest what happened after it aired, but since then I have grown to appreciate it more with every passing day. I think by now it might be my favorite TV finale of all time. That episode was just perfect in every way.

I just watched the scene at the wedding on YouTube and I actually started to tear up. This show is truly special, and if you haven't watched it you really should. Power through season 1 and go for the wild loving ride that seasons 2&3 offer.

Also: Am I crazy for putting Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux in the top 10 for the best ever TV performances? Because gently caress they were amazing.

It really is extremely good, and Coon and Theroux were particularly impressive in that episode. The fact that neither of them will ever win an Emmy for that show goes right on the list of most egregious awards show snubs.

I don't know where I'd rank it among TV finales overall, but it's definitely toward the top. Would probably have been better for the sheer WTF factor if they hadn't done the Old Nora flashforward in the premiere though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IRQ posted:

FX has fired Louis CK.

It's nice these days that this poo poo has at least become so unacceptable that it will ruin your career (for now) real fast.

Unless you're a republican.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Remember when people were asking what accusation would hurt them the most? I think I have a new answer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-accused-sexually-assaulting-model-1981-1056698

Oh my.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Guy Mann posted:

Remember when people were asking what accusation would hurt them the most? I think I have a new answer.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-accused-sexually-assaulting-model-1981-1056698

Oh my.
:smith:

Jesse Lacey from Brand New (one of my favorite bands for years and years) was also accused.

I think it's safer to assume someone with power is guilty rather than innocent at this point and that's really loving sad.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Popelmon posted:

It's one of my favorite series finales ever for all the reasons you've listed and no you're not crazy, they both knocked it out of the park really all series but that episode in particular. I loved that it let you come to your own conclusions about what happened without making it seem like they just couldn't think of an ending.

Obviously different genres but a couple of my other series finale favorites: 30 Rock, The Shield, Breaking Bad and Parks & Rec.
Six Feet Under is still #1 and I don't see anything knocking it off any time soon, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Louis CK played such a lovable dope on Parks and Rec. drat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Louis CK played such a lovable dope on Parks and Rec. drat.

Michael Schur actually admitted on Twitter, unprompted, that he had heard some of the rumors before casting him and apologized for doing so.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

Oh my.

gently caress.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:smith:

Jesse Lacey from Brand New (one of my favorite bands for years and years) was also accused.

I think it's safer to assume someone with power is guilty rather than innocent at this point and that's really loving sad.

gently caress.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Just replace every pending Louis CK role with Matt Walsh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guy Mann posted:

Just replace every pending Louis CK role with Matt Walsh.

Can't see any flaw in tha--

Oh no!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/929180847042949120

e: posted already but goddamnit George :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arist posted:

Can't see any flaw in tha--

Oh no!

It's going to be a maze!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Oh my.

At least people will stop sharing the poo poo his assistants post for him on facebook all the time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The first episode of Love You More is directed by Bobcat Goldthwaite. That style of comedy is not what I generally expect from him.
He directed a Maria Bamford standup special as well, I think he just does a lot of directing in comedy now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't you ever hear about Greg Graffin (Bad Religion) and his penchant for hanging out on webcam chat sites in '98-'99 to cyber with underage fans? Like, that just got swept under the rug even though people had literal screenshots.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/status/929193365853257729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

He directed a Maria Bamford standup special as well, I think he just does a lot of directing in comedy now.

I loved World's Greatest Dad but God Bless America was just such a huge misstep. Like, how do you make a parody of William Hung be the focal point of your movie in 2011?

• Locked thread