Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Guyovich posted:

yeah....before you posted in it

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

:twisted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
free tpaine

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Typo posted:

so to be clear you are basically saying the red army wasn't any worse than the US army in occupation of germany

idk about that dude, even the germans knew to surrender to the americans

the red army wasn’t any worse in its occupation of Germany than the Wehrmacht were in their occupation of the Soviet Union. Massive retaliation against German citizens was inevitable after the war crimes committed on civilians by nazis.

I for one am shocked that troops that had literally just weeks before liberated Treblinka and Auschwitz and experienced a war of extermination in their homeland with millions of murders and sexual assaults weren’t inclined to humanize and empathize with the population that supported these atrocities :jerkbag:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

free tpaine
Can we somehow do the opposite of this

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

A Typical Goon posted:

the red army wasn’t any worse in its occupation of Germany than the Wehrmacht were in their occupation of the Soviet Union. Massive retaliation against German citizens was inevitable after the war crimes committed on civilians by nazis.

I for one am shocked that troops that had literally just weeks before liberated Treblinka and Auschwitz and experienced a war of extermination in their homeland with millions of murders and sexual assaults weren’t inclined to humanize and empathize with the population that supported these atrocities :jerkbag:

collateral damage, i mean all germans are nazis anyway

like how when the tutsis took control of rwanda they totally genocided all the hutus instead of setting up the gacaca courts, or how mandela totally killed all the whites instead of setting up a truth and reconciliation committee

9/11 being backlash for years of american imperialism doesn't justify 9/11. just because events are the result of preceding circumstances don't make them justified

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh so punching and killing nazis is okay with you people but not the logical conclusion

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Oh so punching and killing nazis is okay with you people but not the logical conclusion

are you surprised that a forum of weak people will laugh and clap for minor poo poo but balk when someone actually espouses a way forward? punch nazis for the lulz and ftws but never for real

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Can we somehow do the opposite of this
what was your username? i'm guessing something like Colonel McFuckpants...when did i damage you, Col.?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

you can call a war atrocity bad without putting culpability on the whole nation. the red army officer corps knew about the abuses and did what it could to stop them. that wasn't enough, obviously.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
trolling tankies is funny but it's not worth concern-trolling using mass rape as a bludgeon to make the Red Army look bad in the exact same way Nazis and their apologists have been doing for nearly a century

what broke your brain Typo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Stalin was good folks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

GalacticAcid posted:

Stalin was good folks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShheQiAUHX4&t=9s

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

GalacticAcid posted:

Stalin was good folks

false. actually stalin was very good

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

reignonyourparade posted:

Rape is probably inevitable in war, but that doesn't mean that the sheer absurd scale of rape on the eastern front was.

It wasn't that absurd given the logistics of the Eastern Front. Seriously, I don't think there was any way to cut down on the atrocities besides moving the front forward as quickly as possible.

You can't reason with an army of 6 million peasants, we can hardly manage it with modern warfare, you can only conclude the war as quickly as possible.

People don't like to admit that warcrimes are largely a logistical problem within warfare. It's the biggest reason why war is a bad thing that should only be used as a last resort.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Autism Sneaks posted:

trolling tankies is funny but it's not worth concern-trolling using mass rape as a bludgeon to make the Red Army look bad in the exact same way Nazis and their apologists have been doing for nearly a century

Funny thing is most tankies would consider me an infantile leftcom.

Doesn't not make the Eastern Front a necessary evil to defeat a belligerent genocidal power

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Autism Sneaks posted:

literal Nazi historiography lmao

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

holy poo poo, is LF back? I just noticed the forum title.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
lol wonder how long that's been there, it's still the Goblin's nest on the Android app

LF is dead, C-SPAM-as-LF is revisionism :colbert:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the real lf was the friends we made along the way

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

shouldnt be surprised by neolibs claiming the victories of their leftist forebearers

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

you can call a war atrocity bad without putting culpability on the whole nation. the red army officer corps knew about the abuses and did what it could to stop them. that wasn't enough, obviously.

it eventually got to a point where they handed down executions as punishment and that stopped things pretty quickly. of course that never stopped some wwii scholars from wringing their hands about the barbarity of the red army while simultaneously singing praise for the honorable and not-at-all-as-bad-as-the-ss wehrmacht

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Dreddout posted:

You can't reason with an army of 6 million peasants, we can hardly manage it with modern warfare, you can only conclude the war as quickly as possible.

the rapes continued even after the nazi surrender

the red army had nkvd/smersh detachment which literally shot soldiers if they retreated w/o orders even if the alternative was to die in place

stalin said in the red army: it took more courage to retreat than to advance

but yeah sure, there was no methods to discipline the red army to stop them from raping

Typo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 11, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

A Typical Goon posted:

if your point is that the red army and the wehrmacht are roughly in the same ballpark in terms of atrocities then sure

quote:

lol wow

Typo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 11, 2017

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
itt: collective punishment was inevitable: right down to raping 14 year old girls because what their dads did

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

if your point is that the red army and the wehrmacht are roughly in the same ballpark in terms of atrocities then sure

They aren't, you broke brained idiot.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They aren't, you broke brained idiot.

pener: this is nazi historiography

*defends ethnic cleansing by the Chinese government in the other thread*

that being said i do agree that the red army wasn't as bad as the whermact cuz stalin died before the soviets can have their own holocaust

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Typo posted:

the rapes continued even after the nazi surrender

the red army had nkvd/smersh detachment which literally shot soldiers if they retreated w/o orders even if the alternative was to die in place

stalin said in the red army: it took more courage to retreat than to advance

but yeah sure, there was no methods to discipline the red army to stop them from raping

very rarely did barrier units gun down retreating soldiers. the goal of them was to ensure these soldiers could be reorginized and redeployed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

paul_soccer10 posted:

This thread was good once

It was, but now I've posted twice.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

So it was german war crimes that you tried to minimize yesterday. Got it.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

So did it take you 12 hours to come up with that rebuttal? Or cool down from your prior ragequit?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dreddout posted:

So did it take you 12 hours to come up with that rebuttal? Or cool down from your prior ragequit?

no, i was out doing stuff with ppl, while I'd love to listen to more rape apologia from you I do have other commitments in life

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

So it was german war crimes that you tried to minimize yesterday. Got it.

Cerebral Bore is literally the tankie equivalent of the trump supporter at the office today whom when I started talking about roy moore instantly swiches talking about how bill clinton raped paula jones how come we aren't seeing justice for that

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Typo posted:

no, i was out doing stuff with ppl, while I'd love to listen to more rape apologia from you I do have other commitments in life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Joke: saying the Soviets were bad for (grossly exaggerated) mass rapes
Woke: saying the Soviets were bad for killing the Romanovs

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

Cerebral Bore is literally the tankie equivalent of the trump supporter at the office today whom when I started talking about roy moore instantly swiches talking about how bill clinton raped paula jones how come we aren't seeing justice for that

Naw, I just think it's p hosed up to imply that the germans only committed a few hundred rapes during the war. Don't really see why you'd sink to that level of rape and nazi apologia.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Joke: saying the Soviets were bad for (grossly exaggerated) mass rapes
Woke: saying the Soviets were bad for killing the Romanovs

if this was the 1930s comrade pener would be one of those party members who is shot by the nkvd but dies with stalin's name on his lips

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cerebral Bore posted:

Naw, I just think it's p hosed up to imply that the germans only committed a few hundred rapes during the war. Don't really see why you'd sink to that level of rape and nazi apologia.

i wasn't implying that at all and even Dreddout realized that

but hey do keep telling yourself pointing out mass rape (exaggerated!) by the red army makes someone a nazi

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Pointing out" mass rape by the Red Army is an intentional effort to try and delegitimize the Soviet Union's conduct in World War 2, despite the official Soviet policy against rape and its punishment by death, which was actually enforced. The implication here being that because some Soviet soldiers committed atrocities in Germany, that somehow means that communism is illegitimate and that the Soviet state was just as bad as the Nazis.

Nobody "just says" these things, especially not when they uncritically recycle exaggerated reports of atrocities intentionally cultivated by Nazis and people sympathetic to Nazis - which is literal Nazi historiography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Pointing out mass rape by the Red Army is an intentional effort to try and delegitimize the Soviet Union's conduct in World War 2, despite the official Soviet policy against rape and its punishment by death, which was actually enforced. The implication here being that because some Soviet soldiers committed atrocities in Germany, that somehow means that communism is illegitimate and that the Soviet state was just as bad as the Nazis.

hahahaha holy poo poo