Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

only jim hoft can be so stupid as to think it was legal to gently caress a 12 year old in alabama in 1979

Vladimir Putin posted:

I guess southerners hate Atlanta even though it’s in the south.

yeah, it's full of white democrats and black people. those of us in atlanta speak with equal disdain of everything that isn't atlanta (or new orleans)

the republican running for atlanta mayor had to run as an independent to have a ghost of a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vladimir Putin posted:

Because Atlanta quickly adopted carpet baggers and accepted the defeat of the Civil War to advance and rebuild.

The mirror opposite is Macon who refused to let the Civil War go.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Lemming posted:

I dunno if I even totally agree with that. It's like - what does it take to make someone be the kind of person who thinks "it's fine to be a pedophile as long as you're a Republican"? Like about anything. It's not that they think it's fake or made up or whatever, it's that they literally do not have any principles or shred of morality. They literally do not have a problem with diddling kids. The only sin is being a Democrat.

How do you become that person? Is it just who you are?

Well, in that case it's just team politics. If they're on my side they're great no matter what, if they're on the other side they're worthless bums.

The only thing we're seeing now is how far people are willing to pull my side uber alles.

It shouldn't really be that surprising, look how much they cheer murder, like with Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, etc. Is it really a big stretch from supporting murder to supporting rape?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vladimir Putin posted:

Oh yeah totally. Atlanta's the biggest liberal bastion in The South.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Serfer posted:

Well, in that case it's just team politics. If they're on my side they're great no matter what, if they're on the other side they're worthless bums.

The only thing we're seeing now is how far people are willing to pull my side uber alles.

It shouldn't really be that surprising, look how much they cheer murder, like with Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, etc. Is it really a big stretch from supporting murder to supporting rape?

It's possible to hedge and equivocate and rationalize almost anything, I'm just saying that I feel like I wouldn't have been certain that there was no line at pedophilia and now obviously lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just talked to Keith Ellison for about half an hour when he came into my bar, mostly about Lebanon and a little bit about Donna Brazile’s book.

Keith Ellison is cool and good.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Serfer posted:

Right the real question is how team politics has overridden obvious things like don’t support a person who committed statutory rape. I mean there are people out there publically defending him in effect associating their name with more or less a sex offender.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

Right the real question is how team politics has overridden obvious things like don’t support a person who committed statutory rape. I mean there are people out there publically defending him in effect associating their name with more or less a sex offender.

You fell for the same trap I did, you overestimated their moral fiber.

I mean "thinks pedophiles are bad" is a really low standard but obviously that bar was still too high lmfao

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

OK just to clarify, he's suggesting that if people write in Strange, and Jones wins, Strange should literally flee the state?

He is openly threatening anyone who'd run as a spoiler, yes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lemming posted:

I have a hard time taking seriously the opinion of people who unironically don't think pedophilia is bad

They don't think at all. Anything that is a Republican they must defend, normalize and champion. Nothing to a Republican matters so long as their side wins.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So they really left this fella there to die, huh?
I imagine if this gets out...
Well, still no one will care because the right people have R next to their name rather than D.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/markmazzettinyt/status/929169566059638784

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Lemming posted:

I dunno if I even totally agree with that. It's like - what does it take to make someone be the kind of person who thinks "it's fine to be a pedophile as long as you're a Republican"? Like about anything. It's not that they think it's fake or made up or whatever, it's that they literally do not have any principles or shred of morality. They literally do not have a problem with diddling kids. The only sin is being a Democrat.

How do you become that person? Is it just who you are?

Believing that your world is ending. I hate to labor this point yet again, but what we're seeing is a certain (large) cohort of white people, the proverbial in-group, resisting the reckoning with dogma they've adhered to for the last several decades...say since the end of World War 2. It is falling apart and there are absolutely no prescriptive remedies that don't invoke known heretical concepts according to that dogma. Everything they believe...That success comes through hard work (rather than a healthy dash of luck)...that the poor are poor because they choose to be poor...that the laws and institutions of this land are inherently equitable...is falling apart. This is why the middle income white suburban cohort broke for Trump even though everything that he displayed is essentially taboo to their aspersions.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There is no one I would like to see in jail more than Stephen miller. I wonder what prison gang he'll have to join

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

How a person is saved is one of the biggest dogmatic differences between the various flavors of Christianity. The view you learned is a particularly calvinist one.

Yeah, I️ know, I️ was just being bitchy. I️ wonder what ol' Roy subscribes to.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

The motto when you crossed the river on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge was always hilarious though: "Prince George County: A Livable Community".

Oh man did people get touchy if they heard you call it PG county.

When you cross into Cheverly on US 50, the graffiti says PLEAD GUILTY COUNTY. It stuck in my head.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Were any major Democrats supportive of Anthony Weiner after his underage sexting scandal? I can't think of any but I could be wrong. I mean I know it's totally the same situation, but I feel like Weiner was rightly condemned by his party while Republicans are trying to use every twisted logic possible to defend Moore.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They're still sore Atlanta blew another lead against invaders from the north last February.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol gently caress roy moore and gently caress the gop completely and thoroughly

just lol forever. what a collection of absolutely horrible people devoid of any actual moral substance or societal value

also going to toxx for $50 to RAINN if doug jones wins

and $100 if roy moore wins because gently caress they're gonna need it

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What really gets me about this is that it's not like this is some stand up member of the community who is accused of this pedophilia poo poo. It's loving roy moore. He's always been a scumbag, and obviously so. It blows my mind that you can still run for office after being removed twice for ethics violations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

Why do some of these characters look hosed up? Awful.app?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

What really gets me about this is that it's not like this is some stand up member of the community who is accused of this pedophilia poo poo. It's loving roy moore. He's always been a scumbag, and obviously so. It blows my mind that you can still run for office after being removed twice for ethics violations.

Reminder that he pulled a gun out at a campaign rally to a cheering crowd.

Magic R forever.

Civil Lies
Sep 3, 2008

mdemone posted:

I've had the privilege of associating with some of the Moore clan and the only higher power Roy Moore believes in is himself. He's a scummy con-man that figured out an easy way to dupe some rubes and is huffing his own farts now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/929096679923634176

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Still topped (for me) by whoever in here said-

"Watch Bush start a war."

:q:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

namaste faggots posted:

There is no one I would like to see in jail more than Stephen miller. I wonder what prison gang he'll have to join

Wasn’t there some twitter drama right after the election with him and a coworker after a night at a strip club?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's a cynical choice but they're in a really lovely position of sticking with Moore or ceding a safe seat.

The most palatable option (and what I think you would see if something similar happened to a Democrat in a blue state) would be to reach a deal where Moore agrees that he won't be seated and a vote for him is a vote for the Republican governor appointing his successor. But that would require the candidate to take the fall. Roy Moore isn't that guy.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's a cynical choice but they're in a really lovely position of sticking with Moore or ceding a safe seat.

The most palatable option (and what I think you would see if something similar happened to a Democrat in a blue state) would be to reach a deal where Moore agrees that he won't be seated and a vote for him is a vote for the Republican governor appointing his successor. But that would require the candidate to take the fall. Roy Moore isn't that guy.

Yeah but the guy is a child molesting pedophile, a normal human with any shred of decency or morality wouldn't stand for it and the point is that the Republicans aren't. Not that their strategy doesn't make sense if you're an evil hosed up monster.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dems may face a similar debacle in NJ (though I still expect he gets off).

If you hear any loud popping noises after that verdict, it'll be the heads exploding when McConnell insists that Christie be allowed to name the replacement since he's governor at the time, rather than the winner of the election.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

But that would trigger another special election, and Moore would win by even more the next time.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

mdemone posted:

mdemone posted:

And/or new iOS

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

How dare you slander God-fearing Roy when a woman who's been divorced 3 times and has a criminal record accuses him 40 years later?

mdemone posted:

Update iOS

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Charliegrs posted:

Were any major Democrats supportive of Anthony Weiner after his underage sexting scandal? I can't think of any but I could be wrong. I mean I know it's totally the same situation, but I feel like Weiner was rightly condemned by his party while Republicans are trying to use every twisted logic possible to defend Moore.

Jon Stewart initially stated on his show that he had a difficult time believing that the original set of dick pics were sent by Anthony. He expressed this on his show before the scandal was truly confirmed and he admitted guilt. Once that happened, Stewart immediately and repeatedly condemned his actions.

The Right has and will equate that to permanently defending Roy Moore for seeking sex with multiple underage girls.

Everything is a bullshit false comparison to them.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Dems may face a similar debacle in NJ (though I still expect he gets off).

If you hear any loud popping noises after that verdict, it'll be the heads exploding when McConnell insists that Christie be allowed to name the replacement since he's governor at the time, rather than the winner of the election.

Don't Senate Democrats have to cooperate in substantial numbers to remove Menendez should this happen? What's to stop them saying

1. - we have to wait for appeal process to play out (and inauguration of Murphy), OR, if appeals process fails/denied:
2. - Voters have chosen a new governor, we have to let the voice of the voters speak in this matter so we won't vote to remove Menendez until Murphy is inaugurated! (a familiar, cough, argument)

aside from having no balls etc.?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I missed that Trump and Putin apparently didn't meet as planned.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I guess Hannity went round 2 because now he is doing a tv interview with Roy

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"Let's try that again."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Lmfao no way, gotta be a rerun right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How is it possible that Donald Trump has not tweeted about Roy Moore yet? Did they swap his SIM for a US-only one and not give him the wifi password?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Don't Senate Democrats have to cooperate in substantial numbers to remove Menendez should this happen? What's to stop them saying

1. - we have to wait for appeal process to play out (and inauguration of Murphy), OR, if appeals process fails/denied:
2. - Voters have chosen a new governor, we have to let the voice of the voters speak in this matter so we won't vote to remove Menendez until Murphy is inaugurated! (a familiar, cough, argument)

aside from having no balls etc.?

Yeah, Senate Democrats can just drag their heels until January when Murphy takes office. The Menendez trial may not be over before then, anyway. The jury has had to restart deliberations due to a juror needing to leave on a vacation. (it was preplanned and the judge had agreed he could leave if the trial dragged on too long at the start of it, so it's not anything weird)

• Locked thread