Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

I will admit it was lengthy.

Having to train to make your super powers work better is not some kind of fundamental quality of good writing vs. bad writing. And anyway, Luke has to train to learn how to move stuff with his mind, yes... but in order to actually succeed he basically rejects everything he's taught and relies on Darth Vader being strong enough to save him. When he makes a seemingly suicidal jump away from Vader in ESB, is he not saved by a random act of Force luck?

I'm not saying we need a training montage like Rocky IV. There just should have been something in the script... hell... anything to make us believe Anakin is actually capable of being the chosen one that Qui-gon believes he is. That's the main problem with midichlorians in my view. A loving blood test told you he's the chosen one? Why couldn't it be that we're actually shown that he is capable of being that important? The whole thing is just empty. It was a cool pod race, but being lucky shouldn't be sufficient enough to be some kind of one of a kind prophet or whatever. We need to be shown why Qui-gon is so obsessed with training this kid he makes Obiwan promise to do so at his death.

And come to think of it, doesn't he essentially fix the gamble to put Anakin in his custody before the race even takes place? So it wasn't even the goddamn pod race that convinced him to do all of this? That film is so all over the place it's astounding once you realize it.

Schwarzwald posted:

You wrote a post describing the basic plot of the films but with a lot of question marks.

This guy clearly doesn't realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Not to drag this on further because this is the fun porg thread, but isn't a human child driving a rocket chariot and beating alien races enough to demonstrate the kids got skills? I think there's dialogue too about how often he races and how he saved one racing pod from being junked because he crashed it in a specific way or something. poo poo dude the alien with five eyes probably has an advantage and he got dunked on by a child.

Like yeah, the kid does some spinning because he thinks it's a cool trick, but he's a kid. Skywalkers are just good as gently caress pilots

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I wonder how a Porg would do in a podracer

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Well we saw one piloting the falcon in the last Jedi trailer so expect a Nintendo 64 Episode 1: Pod Racer romhack that replaces Sebulba with a porg.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Star Wars VIII Spoiler Thread: Now THIS Is Porg Racing!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The only good stars war is the one I like.

Also what's a porg, it looks weird and I hate it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Turn your monitor on

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I'm not saying we need a training montage like Rocky IV. There just should have been something in the script... hell... anything to make us believe Anakin is actually capable of being the chosen one that Qui-gon believes he is. That's the main problem with midichlorians in my view. A loving blood test told you he's the chosen one? Why couldn't it be that we're actually shown that he is capable of being that important? The whole thing is just empty. It was a cool pod race, but being lucky shouldn't be sufficient enough to be some kind of one of a kind prophet or whatever. We need to be shown why Qui-gon is so obsessed with training this kid he makes Obiwan promise to do so at his death.

And come to think of it, doesn't he essentially fix the gamble to put Anakin in his custody before the race even takes place? So it wasn't even the goddamn pod race that convinced him to do all of this?

You are correct that Qui-gon comes to the conclusion that Anakin is the chosen one before he has witnessed Anakin perform any miracles. Qui-gon instead acts on his faith.

Anakin does not have to train or work hard to win the big race because Anakin's personal strength is insignificant compared to that of the force.

This isn't a film about a plucky young kid overcoming adversity, it's a film about putting your trust in God.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Schwarzwald posted:

You are correct that Qui-gon comes to the conclusion that Anakin is the chosen one before he has witnessed Anakin perform any miracles. Qui-gon instead acts on his faith.

Anakin does not have to train or work hard to win the big race because Anakin's personal strength is insignificant compared to that of the force.

This isn't a film about a plucky young kid overcoming adversity, it's a film about putting your trust in God.

Ah yes, that must be why Qui-Gon had to administer a blood test first.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Pretty sure he could also sense that Anakin was strong with the force because... Of the force. Blood analysis is just boring Jedi procedure.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Penpal posted:

Blood analysis is just boring Jedi procedure.

Just take a moment to think about how dumb this is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

Just take a moment to think about how dumb this is.

Totally out of character for the guardians of peace and justice who first become a state police force when they fear losing control, then attempt a violent coup when they realize they picked the wrong side.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheMaestroso posted:

Ah yes, that must be why Qui-Gon had to administer a blood test first.

Trust in God but tie your camel.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 10, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Schwarzwald posted:

ahahahahahah this is so loving weak it's hilarious

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

"The race is itself exciting, but instead of showing how Anakin is the child prodigy that he's made out to be with him doing hard work and figuring out how to succeed against all odds, winning the race just comes natural to him with near-zero effort. It was portrayed as a fluke. No time in a simulator. No test runs. He's an auto-mechanic that wings it."

"We're not shown that Anakin is special, we're only told that. What we see happen during the race doesn't actually support that claim."

""I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" *stumbles rear end backwards into blowing up a mothership like one of the three stooges.*"

"Because he sure doesn't seem like anything other than a lucky pilot. The whole "overcoming an impossible" challenge didn't happen. He's just some lucky kid who Qui-gon might have eventually gone to jail over."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNNav2eYwk

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Schwarzwald posted:

"The race is itself exciting, but instead of showing how Anakin is the child prodigy that he's made out to be with him doing hard work and figuring out how to succeed against all odds, winning the race just comes natural to him with near-zero effort. It was portrayed as a fluke. No time in a simulator. No test runs. He's an auto-mechanic that wings it."

"We're not shown that Anakin is special, we're only told that. What we see happen during the race doesn't actually support that claim."

""I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!" *stumbles rear end backwards into blowing up a mothership like one of the three stooges.*"

"Because he sure doesn't seem like anything other than a lucky pilot. The whole "overcoming an impossible" challenge didn't happen. He's just some lucky kid who Qui-gon might have eventually gone to jail over."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSNNav2eYwk

You would have a point if TPM had taken any effort to establish Anakin tapping into his power. Like TFA did with Rey or ANH did with Luke. Anakin just sits in the cockpit just bobbing around and cheering. He does none of the things that have been associated with using the Force. It's a minor point, but it makes the scenes with Anakin flying seem more like dumb luck than a hidden power manifesting.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm always confused as gently caress at ANY of the theories/ideas that there was any more to the prequels than "Make more movies before the first three"

I haven't seen this much fan wanking since Katy Perry made the rear end gif.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

504 posted:

I'm always confused as gently caress at ANY of the theories/ideas that there was any more to the prequels than "Make more movies before the first three"

it's easy if you actually watch them

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

it's easy if you actually watch them

"These movies aren't actually lovely, I just need to figure out why."

*does lots of cocaine and starts reading weird poo poo on the internet*

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sweet geek swag posted:

You would have a point if TPM had taken any effort to establish Anakin tapping into his power. Like TFA did with Rey or ANH did with Luke. Anakin just sits in the cockpit just bobbing around and cheering. He does none of the things that have been associated with using the Force. It's a minor point, but it makes the scenes with Anakin flying seem more like dumb luck than a hidden power manifesting.

Do you think it’s a mistake that the one for whom use of the force comes effortlessly, indeed, almost accidentally, also lacks any self control and basically dives head first into a god complex?

Anakin and Luke aren’t the same, they are foils, contrasts. Luke is not as strong in the force but that ultimately doesn’t matter because it’s not through the force that he wins.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

"These movies aren't actually lovely, I just need to figure out why."

*does lots of cocaine and starts reading weird poo poo on the internet*

man it's not even about lovely or not lovely, it's incredibly obvious that there are themes and ideas trying to be explored in the prequels

whether or not they were explored well is a totally different conversation but it's really obtuse to look at the choices and decisions george lucas made with the prequels and think he wasn't attempting anything creative beyond 'well let's make some more star wars'

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NOT THIS AGAIN

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I really, REALLY like Rian Johnson. Brick is literally one of my favorite films and Looper was pretty good.

I was excited when it was announced that he'd be helming episode 8 - I'm even more pumped now.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

man it's not even about lovely or not lovely, it's incredibly obvious that there are themes and ideas trying to be explored in the prequels

whether or not they were explored well is a totally different conversation but it's really obtuse to look at the choices and decisions george lucas made with the prequels and think he wasn't attempting anything creative beyond 'well let's make some more star wars'

So we're suppose to give him an A for effort?

Nah gently caress that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

So we're suppose to give him an A for effort?

Nah gently caress that.

why are you even replying to my posts when you're really clearly not reading them

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

why are you even replying to my posts when you're really clearly not reading them

Because the prequels suck and George Lucas is an idiot something something windows xp wallpaper bad acting bad writing jar jar practical effects *vomiting*

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

perhaps you could explain what was so great about the prequels, instead of putting the onus on me. What worked? What spoke to you exactly?

Was it that Anakin was a whiny little brat and it got even worse when things didn't go his way? Was it the fact that he was a huge crybaby and was terrible with women? I'm just not really seeing how any of the prequels worked on any level. There were some interesting ideas as I've already mentioned, but I'm struggling to think of anything that worked in that whole awful trilogy. Opening shot of the third one, but then the rest of the film that followed was just painful.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

here i bolded the important parts because apparently reading and understanding two low-effort paragraphs is too much work for you

e: i didn't even say anything positive about the prequels with these posts and you're still reacting as if i did and i really don't understand why

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

perhaps you could explain what was so great about the prequels, instead of putting the onus on me. What worked? What spoke to you exactly?

Was it that Anakin was a whiny little brat and it got even worse when things didn't go his way? Was it the fact that he was a huge crybaby and was terrible with women? I'm just not really seeing how any of the prequels worked on any level. There were some interesting ideas as I've already mentioned, but I'm struggling to think of anything that worked in that whole awful trilogy. Opening shot of the third one, but then the rest of the film that followed was just painful.
I hate to interrupt the ritual hating, but did you see my earlier question? I asked if you were particularly fond of Harrison Ford's work in general - I'm curious since there do seem to be a set of Star Wars fans who are more accurately Harrison Ford fans, and they might really enjoy all his other roles, even if they're not in the genre they usually watch!

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

here i bolded the important parts because apparently reading and understanding two low-effort paragraphs is too much work for you

e: i didn't even say anything positive about the prequels with these posts and you're still reacting as if i did and i really don't understand why

you're literally doing exactly what you're accusing me of and it's goddamn hilarious.

And then admitting that you're not taking a stance one way or the other? What the hell did you want then? To be contrarian just 'cause?

If that's the case then I'll extend the opportunity to Schwarzwald and all the other posters. If you're going to defend the prequels, what did you identify with? Why do you think the writing is good or feel like the characters are well fleshed out?

I gave an example earlier of how Palpatine's plan in Episode I made zero sense and was contradictory to achieving his goals. Do you just ignore it when watching TPM? I'm interested in a good discussion about this.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Nessus posted:

I hate to interrupt the ritual hating, but did you see my earlier question? I asked if you were particularly fond of Harrison Ford's work in general - I'm curious since there do seem to be a set of Star Wars fans who are more accurately Harrison Ford fans, and they might really enjoy all his other roles, even if they're not in the genre they usually watch!

In general, yes. I think he plays a certain type of character for sure. He's no Daniel Day Lewis, but he's good at being a tough guy and an overall hero. There are some painful movies he's wasted in, though. I wasn't a fan of Witness or some of the shittier movies he's been in like Hollywood Homicide.

Do I like Star Wars simply because of Harrison Ford and the character of Han Solo? No.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I gave an example earlier of how Palpatine's plan in Episode I made zero sense and was contradictory to achieving his goals. Do you just ignore it when watching TPM? I'm interested in a good discussion about this.

He's an expert at 12th Dimensional Holo-Chess, thats why he's the Emperor!

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Cinnamon Bear posted:

He's an expert at 12th Dimensional Holo-Chess, thats why he's the Emperor!

ah yes but the question that matters: is he good at spinning?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

ah yes but the question that matters: is he good at spinning?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

I'll take Porgchat over your very interesting opinion that the prequels are bad, an opinion I can find without variation, additional insight, or evidence of independent thought literally anywhere Star Wars is discussed; or anywhere there is a parrot which has overheard Star Wars being discussed on a frequent basis.

e: to clarify, the porg thing went on far far longer than it should have and I was really sick of it.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 11, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I'll take Porgchat over your very interesting opinion that the prequels are bad, an opinion I can find without variation, additional insight, or evidence of independent thought literally anywhere Star Wars is discussed; or anywhere there is a parrot which has overheard Star Wars being discussed on a frequent basis.

e: to clarify, the porg thing went on far far longer than it should have and I was really sick of it.

Look, how can Anakin fly a podracer? Did he train? Why was there no training? He just wings it and it works. I mean, wtf, right? He's just bobbing his head! At least show me him closing his eyes and focusing on the force or something! It's more like dumb luck than a hidden power manifesting!

Almost as if it wasn't some "hidden power" he was flexing.

Almost as if... it was the will of the force.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

But I mean, how fuxxing dumb is it that Qui-Gon needs to take a blood sample to confirm that Anakin is strong in the force, when he already senses it!? ROFLMAO!

Learn2write Jorj.

It's not like this is anything other than an extraneous piece of explicit text written by a blubbering, turkey-necked fool! That the camera actually spends several minutes showing us, no less!

It's not like it could possibly be telling us something about the Jedi Order as it existed in the prequel trilogy.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

These are all things that worked. Anakin being a huge crybaby that's terrible with women is the best thing about AOTC. It's hilarious and clearly intentional. It's the same as Kylo Ren being pathetic and throwing tantrums in TFA. That really spoke to me as it reminded me of the time when I was a pathetic teenager that was terrible with women.

And then Anaking wins over Padme by telling her about murdering the tusken raiders. I feel sorry for anybody who can't appreciate that.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Captain Jesus posted:

These are all things that worked. Anakin being a huge crybaby that's terrible with women is the best thing about AOTC. It's hilarious and clearly intentional. It's the same as Kylo Ren being pathetic and throwing tantrums in TFA. That really spoke to me as it reminded me of the time when I was a pathetic teenager that was terrible with women.

And then Anaking wins over Padme by telling her about murdering the tusken raiders. I feel sorry for anybody who can't appreciate that.

actually he's a hot and charismatic, if a bit awkward man of action who blows potential love interest for padme (like politicians ??? sounds boring) out of the water. He likes fascism and kills sand people, she's sold instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anakin is specifically terrible around one woman, a woman he's had up on a pedestal since he was a child and he's never really had an opportunity to get her out of his head because the jedi doctrine on attachments makes it difficult for him to meet any other potential romantic outlets

• Locked thread