Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

HMS Beagle posted:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the final DLC characters in Injustice 2.

Oh gently caress they totally are.

https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/929212966452346880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

So what you're saying is, I should play Elex Injustice 2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HMS Beagle posted:

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are the final DLC characters in Injustice 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rXE2RjinkU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why is spamming combos seen as "more skillful" than literally any other way of playing in games like MKX? i like to play all the kharacters and don't have time to learn a million button combos, i go online and just can't do anything because aggressive kombo players just wail on you until you're dead.

otoh it feels good when i do beat them. like i actually have a decent w/l record but against the people who just do one combo over and over and over i stand almost no chance. is Injustice 2 better about that or should i just give up online fighting games unless i want to turn it into a full time job learning i-frames and all that bullshit?

man i miss MK2

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I now know less than I did 20 minutes ago

I guess it's a brawler of sorts kind of? With an absurd number of minigames? Anyway it seems interesting, though it's gotta compete with odyssey and botw for mental headspace
yeah its half brawler/half japanese crime drama/half tone piece about walking around kabukicho and playing minigames

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember TMNT Tournament Fighters?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

why is spamming combos seen as "more skillful" than literally any other way of playing in games like MKX? i like to play all the kharacters and don't have time to learn a million button combos, i go online and just can't do anything because aggressive kombo players just wail on you until you're dead.

otoh it feels good when i do beat them. like i actually have a decent w/l record but against the people who just do one combo over and over and over i stand almost no chance. is Injustice 2 better about that or should i just give up online fighting games unless i want to turn it into a full time job learning i-frames and all that bullshit?

man i miss MK2
I feel like your question is kinda all over the place, but yeah someone that knows one move and can execute it consistently is usually going to beat someone that doesn't know poo poo especially how to counter that one move the guy knows, and someone with an actual understanding of the game is gonna kick both of their asses, that's just how fgs work

the real answer though is that those games aren't good enough to take seriously so just have fun with it, and if you want to get good at a fg play something else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7Y1X8KlBg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Injustice 2 is good, actually

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember TMNT Tournament Fighters?

THat game had a fighter who got bullied so hard her skin turned to armor

E: I think? Wait no it was a different 90s SNES fighting game

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

I feel like your question is kinda all over the place, but yeah someone that knows one move and can execute it consistently is usually going to beat someone that doesn't know poo poo especially how to counter that one move the guy knows, and someone with an actual understanding of the game is gonna kick both of their asses, that's just how fgs work

the real answer though is that those games aren't good enough to take seriously so just have fun with it, and if you want to get good at a fg play something else

i guess it just feels like there isn't really any attempt to make a fighting game where you don't have to remember a whole lot of poo poo to be good; older games relied more on tempo and playing smart rather than being able to rush in and knock off huge chunks of health bar by just pressing buttons in a certain order. like yeah, older games had that to a much more limited extent (scorpion in MK2) but at the same time it was a LOT easier to counter people who tried it. it feels like they're catering to a crowd that goes for complexity over everything. ideally it would be very possible to be a good player without ever using long 40% health combo strings, in fact ideally those would not exist or would actually be super hard to do.

i guess i'm just old.

like even soul calibur was more about positional awareness and smart attacking, it feels like. MK9/10 feel like they're all about getting your one good combo to go off

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive never played la noire so im going to do that

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
OTOH older fighting games included killer instinct which was one of the most combo stringy games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zerilan posted:

OTOH older fighting games included killer instinct which was one of the most combo stringy games

that's definitely true, and same with MK3, but at the same time it was possible to be good without using those, or that is to say, it was a lot easier to counter those. it doesn't feel like good design for me to have to look up how to counter certain things online, in those games it was natural/self-evident how to counter them.

i mean like i used to be able to play MK2 and kick anybody's rear end with Reptile, who objectively sucked really hard, just by using basic moves.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

Elex looks interesting from what little I've seen but I have absolutely no idea what it's about or what kind of game it is. Is there a thread on it?

Here's the thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838160

I'd like to play it someday but I'm gonna wait on a sale because backlog.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
and to be fair MK9/10 actually do seem like they tried to go back to "a well placed uppercut or jump kick is all you need" but didn't really commit to it

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

ive never played la noire so im going to do that

A good thematic thing to try is to buy some scotch and a tumbler like an old-timey detective, and then get so drunk that it makes the game seem better.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

i guess it just feels like there isn't really any attempt to make a fighting game where you don't have to remember a whole lot of poo poo to be good; older games relied more on tempo and playing smart rather than being able to rush in and knock off huge chunks of health bar by just pressing buttons in a certain order. like yeah, older games had that to a much more limited extent (scorpion in MK2) but at the same time it was a LOT easier to counter people who tried it. it feels like they're catering to a crowd that goes for complexity over everything. ideally it would be very possible to be a good player without ever using long 40% health combo strings, in fact ideally those would not exist or would actually be super hard to do.

i guess i'm just old.

like even soul calibur was more about positional awareness and smart attacking, it feels like. MK9/10 feel like they're all about getting your one good combo to go off

To get that combo is about tempo and playing smart, usually in order to do that much damage the opponent usually needs to significantly mess up by whiffing an unsafe attack or something. Usually if your opponent is just trying the same thing over and over it should be easy to counter or punish, like I don't know how that differs from the "smart attacking" you praise older games for. The dynamics haven't changed that much

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Cursed by Finger Puzzles

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To get that combo is about tempo and playing smart, usually in order to do that much damage the opponent usually needs to significantly mess up by whiffing an unsafe attack or something

it sure doesn't feel that way. i'm not getting punished by whiffs, i'm just getting wailed on and desperately trying to block or do anything at all and being denied the chance to actually do a single drat thing sometimes. like yeah i'm aware i could look up the combo they're doing and how specifically to counter it, or when to counter it, but that's kind of the point of my complaint - it feels lame to "have" to do that. it doesn't feel like it's possible to just be good at the game anymore, you have to take into account so much esoteric knowledge, which i totally understand is the point of more serious fighting games, but like... games like MK are supposed to have a lower barrier of entry than that. i thought.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a pretty common trap to fall into, thinking "I'd be good at these games if it wasn't for the dang finger puzzles". the reality is that the mechanics of a fighting game form a language and combos are an expression of that language, like the reason combos are combos is because the individual moves have properties that mean they can be safely chained together, games aren't looking out for a 20 input long secret code to say "oh he hit the buttons do The Good Move" (there have been some games that do do that and they're objectively garbage).

If you can't see the forest for the trees and think there's just too much nerd poo poo for you to learn then you've already lost and you should just be satisfied with what you've got, but if you want to get good you start small and start practicing. Even if you don't know or don't have the dexterity yet to do a hugeass combo, you'll probably still beat that guy because they never actually learned the language of the game they just memorized some sequence of buttons they saw on the internet. Then your next challenge will be someone that both understands the game and can execute

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

that's definitely true, and same with MK3, but at the same time it was possible to be good without using those, or that is to say, it was a lot easier to counter those. it doesn't feel like good design for me to have to look up how to counter certain things online, in those games it was natural/self-evident how to counter them.

i mean like i used to be able to play MK2 and kick anybody's rear end with Reptile, who objectively sucked really hard, just by using basic moves.

The people you played at your arcade probably sucked and the general availability on how to actually play smart in FGs has risen the skill floor. You can probably still ruin people's strategies because they're probably not doing safe blockstrings 100% of the time but learning when they're not is a huge part of playing FGs

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Speaking of fighting games, I just got pokken and blaziken is fun but so far the "campaign" is piss easy whereas going online I immediately get my rear end kicked to the point that I have like a 20 percent winrate :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like the metaphor of fighting games as a language because I've always been poo poo at learning new languages and I'm really bad at/confused by fighting games :v:

Getting high and bullshitting my way through Tekken with my brother and friends is always fun though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

its a pretty common trap to fall into, thinking "I'd be good at these games if it wasn't for the dang finger puzzles". the reality is that the mechanics of a fighting game form a language and combos are an expression of that language, like the reason combos are combos is because the individual moves have properties that mean they can be safely chained together, games aren't looking out for a 20 input long secret code to say "oh he hit the buttons do The Good Move" (there have been some games that do do that and they're objectively garbage).

If you can't see the forest for the trees and think there's just too much nerd poo poo for you to learn then you've already lost and you should just be satisfied with what you've got, but if you want to get good you start small and start practicing. Even if you don't know or don't have the dexterity yet to do a hugeass combo, you'll probably still beat that guy because they never actually learned the language of the game they just memorized some sequence of buttons they saw on the internet. Then your next challenge will be someone that both understands the game and can execute

Well in the case of injustice it's literally how the games work because they kinda suck rear end. I don't like the nether realm feel of just punching in buttons to do unique strings, it requires way more knowledge than most games. Coupled with their roster emphasis on bonkers zoning characters they make some of the most instructsble and ugly FGs but also sell them to the biggest market somehow

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Also I rebound the controls and I can't shake the feeling that maybe I've made a grave and terrible mistake. But on the other hand I do like the new controls more, if I can get used to it after a few hours of the default controls.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Well in the case of injustice it's literally how the games work because they kinda suck rear end. I don't like the nether realm feel of just punching in buttons to do unique strings, it requires way more knowledge than most games. Coupled with their roster emphasis on bonkers zoning characters they make some of the most instructsble and ugly FGs but also sell them to the biggest market somehow
not racist but I don't think westerners can make fighting games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would like a fighting game where it's less about stringing combos and more about setting up a few good, hard, pivotal hits and maybe some small chains. Like, you don't have very much health at all and so you have to be careful, but playing defensively means the other guy can take advantage because a few good hits is all you need. But he doesn't have much health either so it works the same the other way around. A slower pace less about the reaction time and more about the calculated moves that make comp fighting games fun. I'm sure they're out there, but I don't play many fighting games so I don't know any examples.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I would like a fighting game where it's less about stringing combos and more about setting up a few good, hard, pivotal hits and maybe some small chains. Like, you don't have very much health at all and so you have to be careful, but playing defensively means the other guy can take advantage because a few good hits is all you need. But he doesn't have much health either so it works the same the other way around. A slower pace less about the reaction time and more about the calculated moves that make comp fighting games fun. I'm sure they're out there, but I don't play many fighting games so I don't know any examples.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo is the game you're looking for. Or Tekken 7 for the 3D version

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

This is totally Tekken

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was thinking of saying "yeah that sounds like Tekken" but as previously said I'm no fighter aficionado

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

not racist but I don't think westerners can make fighting games

I agree except for the major dramatic example of Super Turbo existing because Capcom USA kept increasing the speed of the game while Capcom Japan kept slowing it down, a fight that continues to this day. the switch version of SFII reverts the speed to the slow Japanese arcade levels lol, it's insane how they won't let it go

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bushido Blade would be the extreme case of that. One good blow to the head or chest? You're dead.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Just play against any little kids you have in your family, you can sit back and throw fireballs and uppercut them all day and they can't do poo poo about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

some of the most well regarded fgs in history max out at A Couple hit long combos, generally super long combos is a gimmick that looks cool but makes games worse for their presence (see killer instinct). a lot of recent fgs have done cool things around combo management, though so that's not always true

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive been playing a lot of samurai shodown V Special recently and it's design is anti-combo, nothing really links into anything and most characters have a move that will just do 50% damage no questions asked off a whiff punish. But I also wouldn't recommend it as a newbie game bc there's a lot of funky mechanics and 3 meters and ways to do instant kills or reversals or disarms or alpha counters etc. it's a strange game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Those all sound like good suggestions so I will go look at them, thanks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Complaining on the Internet works again, I just won 5 ranked matches in a row :v:

I think all it is is that the fast pace makes me stress out.

Basically what CJacobs said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

For all the poo poo MvC:I rightfully gets, I got stupid excited when I watched somebody fight the last boss of story mode.

• Locked thread