Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you ever wanna play Super Turbo @ me on fightcade I swear I won't pick claw too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

I agree except for the major dramatic example of Super Turbo existing because Capcom USA kept increasing the speed of the game while Capcom Japan kept slowing it down, a fight that continues to this day. the switch version of SFII reverts the speed to the slow Japanese arcade levels lol, it's insane how they won't let it go
if you want to argue that super turbo is the best western fg of all time, I will accept it with skepticism, but that's only because super turbo is the best fg of all time from anywhere and among the best games also

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

In Training posted:

Well in the case of injustice it's literally how the games work because they kinda suck rear end. I don't like the nether realm feel of just punching in buttons to do unique strings, it requires way more knowledge than most games. Coupled with their roster emphasis on bonkers zoning characters they make some of the most instructsble and ugly FGs but also sell them to the biggest market somehow

I feel like the Netherealm games have this weird cadence to them with the way the characters animate and your inputs. Like there's a slight delay between the two, I feel? Maybe it's just me.

"just punching in buttons to do unique strings"

Do they still call this dial-a-combo?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

How many hours long is a full playthrough of the new Nier? I'm curious if I should wait until after Xenoblade 2 comes out to pick it up or if I can squeeze it in before

A full 100% took me 53 hours. It will not take you that long. You will not want to 100% it legit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah and I really don't like it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsfhADiaP5E

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like it would help a lot if there was a way to interrupt combos without 2 levels of meter. I'm in king of the hill and I guess Jason has an infinite juggle combo which yeah those are super fun :suicide:

And I definitely think it takes way more skill to effectively zone than to do 50% uninterrupted combos

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saint Freak posted:

A good thematic thing to try is to buy some scotch and a tumbler like an old-timey detective, and then get so drunk that it makes the game seem better.

is la noire bad then i thought people liked it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible posted:

reactions always seemed pretty mixed

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The new releases are apparently fixing the big issue people had where the dialog choice names didn't really match the tone of the responses.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah for some reason mid-development they reworded the dialog choices and the result is just cole seemingly constantly switching personality for no reason

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The soundtrack to that game was the biggest disappointment for me. Yeah, maybe they couldn't give EVERYONE their own theme like MvC but COME ON!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Colonel posted:

yeah for some reason mid-development they reworded the dialog choices and the result is just cole seemingly constantly switching personality for no reason

What was the wording supposed to be? I remember it was TRUTH, DOUBT, LIE when I played

Which I assumed meant "Cole thinks they're telling the truth / Cole thinks there's something awry with the story / Cole thinks they're flat out lying" but I recall it not quite being like that in practice

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ciaphas posted:

What was the wording supposed to be? I remember it was TRUTH, DOUBT, LIE when I played

Which I assumed meant "Cole thinks they're telling the truth / Cole thinks there's something awry with the story / Cole thinks they're flat out lying" but I recall it not quite being like that in practice

i forgot what "lie" was but apparently the old wording for the first two was "good cop, bad cop" and that's what they're going back to with the rerelease

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lie is actually >PRESENT EVIDENCE like bringing up the present menu in phoenix wright and pressing X or shouting TAKE THAT but while you can figure this out after a while, the game really goes out of its way to never ever ever indicate that "lie" requires evidence to show that someone is lying. if you don't have evidence but choose this option, you can actually back off to no penalty after finding out exactly what you're about to accuse them of so you know whether you have evidence to present or not. so if you really wanna get everything 100% right, choose lie every time just in case you have evidence but don't know it yet because you can't predict exactly how a conversation will pan out by the time it finishes :downs:

doubt is actually "this person is deliberately trying to avoid telling me the entire story, but i don't necessarily have evidence to prove that they're being untruthful" which... i mean doubt kinda means this, but it's really forceful. there are better ways to describe the way you handle the situation, but it requires way more than one frickin word. the main problem with choosing this option is that if you do have evidence and you should've tested lie first, you completely miss your chance to present it forever.

truth is actually "this person isn't trying to deceive me, but they may or may not be excluding details. if they are, it's entirely by accident and this will give them suggestions on how they might tell a more accurate story."

l.a. noire... victim of trying to condense fairly complex expressions into a single word.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 11, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

l.a. noire... victim of trying to condense fairly complex expressions into a single word.

makes me wonder if the german translation fared any better critically :v:

your explanation sure sheds a lot of light on my memories of the game, though!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I believe 'doubt' was originally intended to be called 'force' and the rest were the same, if I'm remembering right.

edit: I'm half-right:

https://gamerant.com/la-noire-different-interrogation-options-tao-115919/

quote:

In fact, when the game was first being developed, Team Bondi wanted to have Cole Phelps “work” to get an answer out of his witness, and therefore the choices were originally coax, force, and lie. It makes much more sense to think that instead of doubting the witnesses, Phelps is coaxing the witness by hitting them with a fervent intensity.

Speaking during an Animation Festival, Brendan McNamara (former member of Team Bondi) shares more:

quote:

“A lot of people say that Aaron [Staton, who played Phelps] goes a little bit psycho with some of the questions you ask in the game. When we originally wrote it, the questions you asked were Coax, Force and Lie. So Force was a more aggressive answer, and that’s where we actually recorded it…But when the game came out, it was Truth, Doubt and Lie, so everyone says that Aaron on the second question goes psycho, but that’s just the way we wrote it from before.”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What the gently caress, you can control your arrows mid-flight in Assassin's Creed Origins?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What the gently caress, you can control your arrows mid-flight in Assassin's Creed Origins?!

Only with one kind of bow, and only if you buy the skill

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I finally started Horizon. It seems pretty and good so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I need to give Horizon another shot at some point, I kind of left it to the side after like two hours

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the only thing my wife can cook is grilled cheese sandwiches but goddamn she cooks the hell out of them. just went to see her at work real quick and she had me a bacon, munster, red onion and mustard one that is the best thing ever

(not that women should cook necessarily, in fact since i've been a chef i'm happy to do all the "real" cooking)

also lmao D'Vorah has only been used 16 million times online, whereas most characters have like 50 million wins

netherrealms: "what is balance?"

whats the game where you can always break combos but it requires skill instead of a resource? soul calibur?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just got passed the whole opening bit which most people seem to hate but I usually like a nice slow start and this was a pretty good slow start. I can already tell fighting humans is gonna suck so much worse than fighting machines though.

Quick question: is there a general consensus on what difficulty you should play on?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I played on the default and felt like that was fine. I could blow through the main story but the side challenges that were supposed to be difficult were still thrilling.

A bunch of people in the PS4 thread were like "I only feel alive on the hardest difficulty otherwise it's babytown frolics"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would like to be good able to at least somewhat reliably win in scrub tier at fighting games, but that ship sailed a long time ago for me. Like I struggle against people more or less just jumping and randomly pushing buttons, or even in some cases doing the same thing repeatedly because I can't figure out or can't execute the way to stop it, which is especially frustrating because it makes it obvious that I'm a dumbo.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

I would like to be good able to at least somewhat reliably win in scrub tier at fighting games, but that ship sailed a long time ago for me.

Fighting games are a journey, a process of becoming, and it is never too late for that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just got passed the whole opening bit which most people seem to hate but I usually like a nice slow start and this was a pretty good slow start. I can already tell fighting humans is gonna suck so much worse than fighting machines though.

Quick question: is there a general consensus on what difficulty you should play on?

humans are actually complete jokes and barely even make a dent once you get past the "second intro". like seriously they're so dumb and made of paper

al-azad
May 28, 2009

From the director of L.A. Noire

quote:

“A lot of people say that Aaron [Staton, who played Phelps] goes a little bit psycho with some of the questions you ask in the game. When we originally wrote it, the questions you asked were Coax, Force and Lie. So Force was a more aggressive answer, and that’s where we actually recorded it…But when the game came out, it was Truth, Doubt and Lie, so everyone says that Aaron on the second question goes psycho, but that’s just the way we wrote it from before.”

There was a lot of drama after L.A. Noire and the founder of Team Bondi was basically ousted for working people half to death, people not being credited, and people not getting paid. It sounds like Rockstar rescued it from the verge of death and even then the game is like three disparate parts pasted together.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
LA Noire is great and i loved driving around old timey LA. it would be cool if ubi bought that map and used it for a modern day asscreed game, or maybe Watch_Dogs: Origins

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing I know about L.A. Noire is that apparently one of the levels features a 3D recreation of a set from D.W. Griffith's Intolerance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
switched over to playing Fortnight and withing 5 seconds of landing one of my own teammates killed me for "taking his chest"

apparently not aware you can give each other items or what the gently caress ever lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Raxivace posted:

The only thing I know about L.A. Noire is that apparently one of the levels features a 3D recreation of a set from D.W. Griffith's Intolerance.

yeah and that level sucks a lot :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

corn in the bible posted:

I think it has great stories and absolutely fantastic dialogues. The best facial expressions to this day are great as well, the atmosphere is top-notch. That being said driving around town and actually interacting with the world is pretty unrewarding so if somebody wasn't into the stories they probably hated it. I really enjoyed it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I too will say I liked it a lot and it doesn’t feel like anything else has even tried the formula. I like the idea of solving crimes as gameplay and I genuinely wish crime noir was a bigger thing in games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
not that realism is inherently good but LA Noire also has extreeeeeeemly realistic people and dialogue. it really feels like a living world, right down to the fact that the city has nothing interesting to pick up or collect because who does that in real life

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i remember in the completely bullshit law and order game (not the telltale one, the first one, made by a company that did medical simulators) you could pick up anything in the street including trash, and then briscoe would yell at you for wasting police time and you'd end up not being able to solve the case in time

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
L. A. Noire is a very good L. A. Noire, but a pretty bad video game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StoryTime posted:

L. A. Noire is a very good L. A. Noire, but a pretty bad video game.

so far it seems loving awesome???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s good but it has very serious story problems that might only become obvious in hindsight.

• Locked thread