Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bholder posted:

Also can you still assimilate pops as a devouring swarm or you can only eat them?
Devouring Swarms (and Driven Exterminators iirc) do not get the ability to assimilate others into your empire; everyone has to go. I don't think the tech for assimilating xeno pops even shows up if you have picked that trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Devouring Swarms (and Driven Exterminators iirc) do not get the ability to assimilate others into your empire; everyone has to go. I don't think the tech for assimilating xeno pops even shows up if you have picked that trait.

Exterminators can assimilate synth pops of conquered planets, but you have to change it manually in the species menu for each empire's synth population. It was pretty cool to free my synthetic brethren from their inferior meatbag overlords as I terraformed the galaxy to machine worlds with all the extra energy from purging organics.

The Contingency was also the crisis for that game but didn't show up until I controlled around 2/3 the galaxy; their awakening sparked a galactic war between two genocidal AIs over who got to slaughter the fragmented remains of a once-dominant federation clinging to life on the edge of the galaxy. This game has come a long way since release, and I'm optimistic about the changes in Cherryh even though I rarely play hyperlanes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is there like a Stellaris Steam group or do you all just have friends that play?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Captain Monkey posted:

Is there like a Stellaris Steam group or do you all just have friends that play?

Pretty sure 95%+ of us just play single-player exclusively.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I can't imagine playing this game multiplayer with like more than two people in a game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's a Goon discord for map games, including Stellaris.

https://discord.gg/2Jn747

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty sure 95%+ of us just play single-player exclusively.

I'm the bizarro weirdo. I play almost exclusively multiplayer with a weekly session among friends.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Admiral Ray posted:

They were preserving species from the past and you ate them. I bet you're the sort of coworker that eats labeled food in the break room fridge.

I think you mean they set up a tapas bar.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

What does multi player even look like in this game? I pause all the time in single player.

I think I’d hate it equally if any player could pause my game or if I could not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ConfusedUs posted:

What does multi player even look like in this game? I pause all the time in single player.

I think I’d hate it equally if any player could pause my game or if I could not.

From what I've heard it's a hell of running the game on a slow/medium speed and just doing other stuff like making tea while waiting for things to happen but always being there for that flurry of activity when something does happen and you can't pause.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Venerable Stellaris devs, is something going to be changed about how armies are handled?

I don't know about you, but having to manually upgrade all my units one by one because there is no ship designer analog for armies is hella poo poo.

Everything else is good, you're good Dev people. But this one particular thing is poo poo UI work and poor mechanic maintenance of what I assume was at one point going to be expanded but was forgotten about?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

McGiggins posted:

Venerable Stellaris devs, is something going to be changed about how armies are handled?

I don't know about you, but having to manually upgrade all my units one by one because there is no ship designer analog for armies is hella poo poo.

Everything else is good, you're good Dev people. But this one particular thing is poo poo UI work and poor mechanic maintenance of what I assume was at one point going to be expanded but was forgotten about?

Do people actually upgrade their armies? Of all of the tedious micromanagement in Stellaris that is the easiest to avoid since there's no reason not to just pile on the stock armies when you invade. I usually just queue up 20 or so clone armies (since they train the fastest) and call it a day.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but I want my enslaved fallen/awakened empire species soldiers riding xenomorphs into battle.

And I can have that, if I participate in the least well thought out UI process in the game. So my point is, either make a better way of doing it, or remove it because no one uses it because it sucks.

Maybe make the upgrades into empire bonuses to armies instead. I don't know.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

McGiggins posted:

Yeah, but I want my enslaved fallen/awakened empire species soldiers riding xenomorphs into battle.

And I can have that, if I participate in the least well thought out UI process in the game. So my point is, either make a better way of doing it, or remove it because no one uses it because it sucks.

Maybe make the upgrades into empire bonuses to armies instead. I don't know.

Wiz has repeatedly said he wants to change how armies work. I think he even says it in the latest dev diary.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Hey I'm late but: you can DEFINITELY UPLIFT PRE-SENTIENTS WITHOUT A COLONY

So frustrating to see everyone get that wrong.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

gowb posted:

Hey I'm late but: you can DEFINITELY UPLIFT PRE-SENTIENTS WITHOUT A COLONY

So frustrating to see everyone get that wrong.

Related to that I found out I was missing the Epigenetics technology, that's why I couldn't Uplift the ones I found.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Related to that I found out I was missing the Epigenetics technology, that's why I couldn't Uplift the ones I found.

Now remember to establish a colony on their world

:D

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

You actually get a free colony there when the uplift finishes!!!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GamingHyena posted:

Do people actually upgrade their armies? Of all of the tedious micromanagement in Stellaris that is the easiest to avoid since there's no reason not to just pile on the stock armies when you invade. I usually just queue up 20 or so clone armies (since they train the fastest) and call it a day.

In the end the user attention time cost of assigning some of the powerful upgrades to a group of five of the most powerful armies more than balances out the amount of management you would have to do for a large force of trash units down the line.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You're just front loading the bullshit there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I restarted and found a system with 37 minerals! Dropped an outpost there and built it out completely. About two turns later I get an alert that some sort of hive monsters have erupted from the asteroid belt so I send my fleet of 15 corvettes in and find about seven of the monsters, and each has 2.5k combat strength.

I need a mod that puts a big RESTART button down in the corner of the screen.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'd rather pause the game and click ten buttons than deal with dozens of transport ships being built and random planets and having to coordinate all of them, then replenish their losses if any occur.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

I restarted and found a system with 37 minerals! Dropped an outpost there and built it out completely. About two turns later I get an alert that some sort of hive monsters have erupted from the asteroid belt so I send my fleet of 15 corvettes in and find about seven of the monsters, and each has 2.5k combat strength.

You're taking every minor setback waaaaaaay too seriously.

Just nope the gently caress out of there and come back in 20 years.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I find they usually don't destroy everything in the system, so you get some of the minerals until you're strong enough to take them on. Wait for cruisers, and then go mop them up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

You're taking every minor setback waaaaaaay too seriously.

Just nope the gently caress out of there and come back in 20 years.

I didn't realize that they won't leave the system. I was thinking they were going to be marauders, and they're just two jumps from my home world. I thought this was a major setback but I understand now. Thank you!

EDIT: I got my construction ship out of there right away and so far the monsters are just chilling. Glad I didn't restart.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 11, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't realize that they won't leave the system. I was thinking they were going to be marauders, and they're just two jumps from my home world. I thought this was a major setback but I understand now. Thank you!

Yeah there are very few mobile NPC enemies outside of other empires. Off-hand I can only think of

The event that spawns a (very weak) pirate faction in your territory.
Tiyanki space whales, which are neutral by default.
Space Amoebas, which are usually around 1k strength and roam randomly. Sometimes these are a huge PITA in the early game, but you can typically avoid them.
The Wraith leviathan, which roams the entire galaxy after it spawns.
Some of the other leviathans may start roaming if you try to kill them and fail.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
On that note, as just a wild speculation, it might be kind of cool to have a single rampaging leviathan as a potential endgame crisis.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

DrSunshine posted:

On that note, as just a wild speculation, it might be kind of cool to have a single rampaging leviathan as a potential endgame crisis.

It'd have to be a fuckoff huge leviathan to be a real threat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just ended up getting dragged into a massive federation war where I was the buffer state. Got smashed hard, and it turns out that I was INSANELY behind in technology. What the hell? I was materialist, constantly running edicts for science, using science ships to assist, building observatories, and loading up on science labs. But I ended up being the only person in the galaxy without battleships, and everyone having weapons like 2 tiers higher than me. Checked research agreements and the tech deficit is nuts.

What am I doing wrong?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't that sort of what the end of cycle is?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just ended up getting dragged into a massive federation war where I was the buffer state. Got smashed hard, and it turns out that I was INSANELY behind in technology. What the hell?

Happens to me if I've been expanding a lot, but thankfully in Stellaris quantity has a quality all its own.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm playing a Devouring Swarm and I've found something weird: You can still research uplifts even though I'm pretty sure you can't perform one. And even if you did, all you'd be doing is increasing the brain size of your future snacks. Which, yeah, if eating brains is your deal, that's great.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm playing a Devouring Swarm and I've found something weird: You can still research uplifts even though I'm pretty sure you can't perform one. And even if you did, all you'd be doing is increasing the brain size of your future snacks. Which, yeah, if eating brains is your deal, that's great.

This is a feature, not a bug.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
The extra braininess tastes great!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Just don't play multiplayer until you've done two things:

#1: Worked ahead of time with the other players on a pause and time policy.
#2: Practice for an hour or two without pausing in a single-player Stellaris match.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Would uplifting give you the world without having to spend unity/colony ships beyond relocating a pop?

That would be really hosed up to have aliens show up, make a species sentient, and then start eating them though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

crazypeltast52 posted:

Would uplifting give you the world without having to spend unity/colony ships beyond relocating a pop?

That would be really hosed up to have aliens show up, make a species sentient, and then start eating them though.
The genetic engineer ascension perk includes a trait that makes pops more delicious.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Stellaris - Ah well, at least the millions were tasty.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StealthArcher posted:

Stellaris - Ah well, at least the millions were tasty.
My only problem with these titles is that "millions" seems a little low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
We never get to know how much a pop is but I like to believe it's a billion for advanced species and a million for idiot dog poo poo snacks.

• Locked thread