Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You haven't paid them anything yet have you?

nah, just a downpayment. The siding guy just called his supplier and they're willing to swap it out with no restocking fee as long as we dont get another custom colour, so that's good at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

there is egg on my face

And what is on her face :smuggo:

(sorry TT I couldn't resist the setup)

I think that is a nice color blue, but it depends on whether you're using it as a primary color or secondary color (aka the house is mostly brick with some parts siding)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the customerwoman is always right

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
More like the non-colorblind person should pick the color. :wtf:

Edit: does anyone have a first gen SHO? I have an actual K&N intake kit I got from the junkyard and I can't find a single mention of it other than some grainy tuner webstore pictures.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Am I going crazy or did we have another 'my wife ordered <x> thing and when it arrived it was <x> thing and is now mad about it because it's exactly what she ordered' post thing not too long ago?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

And what is on her face :smuggo:

(sorry TT I couldn't resist the setup)

I think that is a nice color blue, but it depends on whether you're using it as a primary color or secondary color (aka the house is mostly brick with some parts siding)

Yeah the house is half orange/red brick and half siding so idk, happy wife happy life happy wife happy life

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DJ Commie posted:

This was my thought. TT, does she KNOW that you're colorblind? If so, how could she let you pick the color?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

This was my thought. TT, does she KNOW that you're colorblind? If so, how could she let you pick the color?

Nah she picked the colour, I thought it was a different colour than it was, and when it arrived it was more like how I expected it to be cuz I’m a gosh dang dummy

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah uh... that poo poo looks like Nantucket Pewter with a hint of blue mixed in to me.

I like the color personally, but it wouldn't look right on a red brick house.

Goddamnit. Went to bed early last night to try and get my sleep schedule fixed up a bit. Woke up at 3am. Been trying off and on to go back to sleep, which has been a big fail. I don't normally wake up until ~2pm.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 10, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Looks way closer to that nantucket pewter to me as well, as in, drat near exactly it on my monitor at least. Try not to go dark on vinyl siding if you can, as it heats and contracts, you can be at high risk to develop ripples in it even if installed properly. I had a fairly dark grey on our last house and within 5 years you could see it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

A couple years ago my mom went to go visit her family and my dad (who is colourblind) decided to paint their bathroom as a surprise, so he enlisted the kids to come help. He swore up and down that the paint chip he found in the bathroom was the one that she had picked out.

For about a year they had a blood-red and I mean blood-red bathroom.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

Looks way closer to that nantucket pewter to me as well, as in, drat near exactly it on my monitor at least. Try not to go dark on vinyl siding if you can, as it heats and contracts, you can be at high risk to develop ripples in it even if installed properly. I had a fairly dark grey on our last house and within 5 years you could see it.

Wow that's really good to know, we may have accidentally dodged a bullet that way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Just met Hans Rey. Excellent.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

InitialDave posted:

Just met Hans Rey. Excellent.

No Way!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You're all colorblind, that's clearly Olde Town Wedgewood with the two pictures taken under two different lighting sources (with the bottom color/actual material being taken in clearly brighter/more natural looking lighting)

Top color is from the swatch, Olde Town Wedgewood, bottom color is the box of siding.

Top color is from the swatch, Nantucket Pewter, bottom color is the box of siding.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Aaaand just had a chat with Steve Peat. Having a good evening!

Edit: Yeah, Hans came on stage for his talk to Jump Around, and finished it by backhopping a GT Zaskar off the stage. I definitely got what I came for. Cool guy.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 11, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You know what sucks? Dealing with the aftermath of an ANSUL system discharging.

What's even better? When the fire tech tell you: "In 20 years I've never seen a system like this before! I don't know how or who set it up like this!"

Oh well, not my problem anymore :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god. Yeah that'll shut a kitchen down for a good minute.

Who set it off, and was it actually set off for a fire, or just someone being a dick? (.. or a failure of some kind)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Apperently it's being chalked up to a system failure.

The way they system was set up, it Apperently worked by having a tube filled with pressurized air strung across each of the hoods, and it would melt of it got hot enough.

Said tube apperently got old and cracked. Causing the whole thing to go off. Causing the restaurant to shut down. And apparently it'll be down for a while too, since everything needs to be replaced now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wait. the fusible links were above the equipment, or inside the vent hoods? (the discharge nozzles are usually above the equipment, with the fusible links inside the hood) But yeah, that's how ANSUL systems usually work. One fusible link goes, or the tube cracks, or some jackass yanks the handle after they get fired, and you get one hell of a mess. They're supposed to be tied into the vent hood electrical too, to shut down all fans (makeup and exhaust), but when the contactors fail some people just bypass them.

You can usually clean the equipment (except fryers, they're a pain to clean after that), but if the equipment is old, it probably makes more sense to just milk that insurance money and replace everything.

One pizza place I worked in... the AHJ required that there be discharge nozzles INSIDE THE PIZZA OVEN (typical conveyor style oven used by most pizza chains), and inside the vent hood (instead of exposed). That was ... different. And would have absolutely destroyed the oven had the system gone off.

e: wait I just re-read this. they used just a tube instead of fusible links? :psypop:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 11, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Wait. the fusible links were above the equipment, or inside the vent hoods? (the discharge nozzles are usually above the equipment, with the fusible links inside the hood) But yeah, that's how ANSUL systems usually work. One fusible link goes, or the tube cracks, or some jackass yanks the handle after they get fired, and you get one hell of a mess. They're supposed to be tied into the vent hood electrical too, to shut down all fans (makeup and exhaust), but when the contactors fail some people just bypass them.

You can usually clean the equipment (except fryers, they're a pain to clean after that), but if the equipment is old, it probably makes more sense to just milk that insurance money and replace everything.

One pizza place I worked in... the AHJ required that there be discharge nozzles INSIDE THE PIZZA OVEN (typical conveyor style oven used by most pizza chains), and inside the vent hood (instead of exposed). That was ... different. And would have absolutely destroyed the oven had the system gone off.

e: wait I just re-read this. they used just a tube instead of fusible links? :psypop:

Is having the nozzles inside the oven not something that's standard? Now granted, I don't work on ANSUL systems, but most of the places we service that have conveyor ovens like that usually have 2 or more nozzles that point inside the oven. A few places even had the salamanders rigged with nozzles as well.

And yeah, that's what the guy from the fire company said, it was pneumatic. The tube was pressurized, and on a loss of pressure, it would discharge. Don't ask me how that was supposed to work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's something I've only seen once. These weren't nozzles pointed into the oven - these were nozzles actually inside the oven. The oven had holes drilled (well, cut via holesaw) in the back of it for the nozzles/pipes to pass through. Weirdest poo poo I've seen. I'm used to seeing nozzles pointing toward the openings, but not having them inside the cooking chamber. It made it a real pain in the rear end to pull the oven out for cleaning/maintenance (they're on wheels for a reason), and those are forced air ovens... so that would make one hell of a mess from blowing the liquid everywhere. Even if a contactor was in-line to shut down the oven (I didn't get that far, I was just a driver there and had to clean the drat thing occasionally), the fans take a good minute to spin down.

Pneumatic is a new one on me, I think they usually have a cable attached to the fusible links. Fusible link pops, cable loses tension, and several people have a very bad day (but not as bad as it would be if the place burned down). But I'm just a casual observer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great... switched carriers. New carrier says the port-in is complete. Calling my number just gives about 8 rings before it goes to my Google Voice (I had it setup to forward to GV after 4 rings with Cricket). Cricket's already closed the account. Making calls from my phone shows a 201 area code (but at least I can actually receive calls on that number).

I hope my number didn't get lost. Cricket is a loving dumpster fire on good days. :sigh:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Last night, my kids were being very naughty and never cleaned their rooms all evening like they were supposed to. I told my youngest, no watching the tablet in the morning. It probably wasn't a serious threat, because she likes to get up about 7am and like hell am I really gonna get up and make her do chores.

...I hear the door open at 715, she comes in and informed me that she's already cleaned her room, "sooo can I watch the tablet and have some chocolate milk?"

:stonklol: my little 4yo morning person

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

Aaaand just had a chat with Steve Peat. Having a good evening!

Edit: Yeah, Hans came on stage for his talk to Jump Around, and finished it by backhopping a GT Zaskar off the stage. I definitely got what I came for. Cool guy.

Fuckn' rad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Last night, my kids were being very naughty and never cleaned their rooms all evening like they were supposed to. I told my youngest, no watching the tablet in the morning. It probably wasn't a serious threat, because she likes to get up about 7am and like hell am I really gonna get up and make her do chores.

...I hear the door open at 715, she comes in and informed me that she's already cleaned her room, "sooo can I watch the tablet and have some chocolate milk?"

That's what my son used to do, now it's "can I go play?" and then we don't see him for the rest of the day :smith:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

angryrobots posted:

Good 4 y.o.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question time:

So my neighbor is a pretty nice guy. Maybe early/mid 30s, hockey coach and he's a pretty well known guy in that field as teams he's coached have won championships. Definitely aggressive with his career and his goal is to be an NHL coach, of which he very well might become one. He and his wife just bought their house shortly after ours. We're not super close, but we get along well, chatted quite a bit and helped each other out around our yards as we were landscaping. We're not incredibly tight by any means, but I would say we are friends. Only a few months after they moved in he got a coaching job out of town. So he is renting a house in that town about 5 hours away, and the wife goes back and forth between there and here. I think it must be pretty tough on the wife because they've got 2 little ones and dad is never home (he seriously hasn't been home here since July) .... although she does go up north to visit quite often. She's quite attractive... I did a bit of a double take when I first saw her, strong Lucy Liu vibe. I've also helped her out a couple times when he's been gone with yard work and stuff. They are thoughtful to me and have repaid me with beer and gourmet chocolates as a thank-you gift for helping them out.

Fast forward to last night, heard a strange vehicle pull up in front of my house, look outside it's a late 90s dodge pick up with lovely exhaust (why I heard it), pulling into neighbors driveway. Dude got out went into their house. Didn't think much of it.... except this AM the truck was still there. Guy actually just left as I am typing this. Same age group and not likely her family (she's asian, dude wasn't). That's sort of, um, odd. I've never seen anyone with a strange vehicle spend the night there before. Actually, I've never noticed anyone spend the night there before.

Question: Mind my own business or next time I talk to neighbor dude some how slide it into conversation? I'm definitely leaning towards minding my own business as I certainly don't know for a fact anything is going on.

Alternatively, I guess I could talk to her next time I see her and somehow mention the truck in the driveway... and see if she has a look of horror come over her face or not, but once again, none of my loving business.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The nice thing about suburbs is, chances are if you keep your mouth shut someone else will say it for you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

Question time:

So my neighbor is a pretty nice guy. Maybe early/mid 30s, hockey coach and he's a pretty well known guy in that field as teams he's coached have won championships. Definitely aggressive with his career and his goal is to be an NHL coach, of which he very well might become one. He and his wife just bought their house shortly after ours. We're not super close, but we get along well, chatted quite a bit and helped each other out around our yards as we were landscaping. We're not incredibly tight by any means, but I would say we are friends. Only a few months after they moved in he got a coaching job out of town. So he is renting a house in that town about 5 hours away, and the wife goes back and forth between there and here. I think it must be pretty tough on the wife because they've got 2 little ones and dad is never home (he seriously hasn't been home here since July) .... although she does go up north to visit quite often. She's quite attractive... I did a bit of a double take when I first saw her, strong Lucy Liu vibe. I've also helped her out a couple times when he's been gone with yard work and stuff. They are thoughtful to me and have repaid me with beer and gourmet chocolates as a thank-you gift for helping them out.

Fast forward to last night, heard a strange vehicle pull up in front of my house, look outside it's a late 90s dodge pick up with lovely exhaust (why I heard it), pulling into neighbors driveway. Dude got out went into their house. Didn't think much of it.... except this AM the truck was still there. Guy actually just left as I am typing this. Same age group and not likely her family (she's asian, dude wasn't). That's sort of, um, odd. I've never seen anyone with a strange vehicle spend the night there before. Actually, I've never noticed anyone spend the night there before.

Question: Mind my own business or next time I talk to neighbor dude some how slide it into conversation? I'm definitely leaning towards minding my own business as I certainly don't know for a fact anything is going on.

Alternatively, I guess I could talk to her next time I see her and somehow mention the truck in the driveway... and see if she has a look of horror come over her face or not, but once again, none of my loving business.

What benefit do you hope to derive from getting yourself involved? I mean, if she's DTF I guess you could see if you could have a go with her, but that's really about the only thing you could hope to get out of it. I suppose if you think the husband would kick her rear end or kill her or something and you'd find that amusing you could drop the dime too.

Stay out of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless the neighbor is your best friend keep you nose out of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Midjack posted:

What benefit do you hope to derive from getting yourself involved? I mean, if she's DTF I guess you could see if you could have a go with her, but that's really about the only thing you could hope to get out of it. I suppose if you think the husband would kick her rear end or kill her or something and you'd find that amusing you could drop the dime too.

Stay out of it.
Probably best to stay out of it, yes, but you're being a twat.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If I was coach guy I would wanna know.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

slidebite posted:

Question time:

How do you know she's not a hotwife/him a cuckold, or some variation thereof and whatever is completely on the up and up? That's definitely a mind your loving business situation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yep, I'd stay out of that for sure.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Cat is home and fine and being cat like and its the bestest thing :)

slidebite posted:

Question time:

Don't touch that situation with a bargepole. He sounds like a good friendly aquaintance but it doesn't sound like it's something worth the potential drama. As someone else noted, other neighbors are probably gossiping anyway and it will get out that way. Be there to support afterwards if needed.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Unless the neighbor is your best friend keep you nose out of it.

when rhyno is saying this u should deffo listen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

when rhyno is saying this u should deffo listen

I mean, my best friend's wife did cheat on him and I knew it was going on before anyone else did. I regret not telling him but by staying out of it I saved our friendship.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I mean, my best friend's wife did cheat on him and I knew it was going on before anyone else did. I regret not telling him but by staying out of it I saved our friendship.

im just teasing u no worries :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im just teasing u no worries :)

LoL I figured but this is a thing I had experience with. The time I did flap my jaws it ended the friendship for good.

• Locked thread