Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't even know how to see a unit's stats outside of battle atm though, and I'm not prepared to tab out and google every time I get a new one I don't think. If the game shows that stuff in some other place as well I'd love to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't even know how to see a unit's stats outside of battle atm though, and I'm not prepared to tab out and google every time I get a new one I don't think. If the game shows that stuff in some other place as well I'd love to know.

The in-battle hotkey is I (i) and on the campaign map you should be able to see stats when hovering over unit cards (the stats appear in the bottom-left). You can pin the stats by clicking the little pin icon on the unit card, and then hover the mouse over the stats and attributes and abilities to see what they are, and get breakdowns of damage stats etc.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Insurrectionist posted:

Outside of battles units have a little pin icon on the their unit card. It will allow you to mouseover the expanded unit card on the left hand side of your screen, above the portrait. This unit card is way more useful than the encylopedia.

e: oh beaten

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So the unit cards show everything relevant? That's convenient at least.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

So I got the first game on sale recently and started playing it, not really gotten to grips with it yet in part because of a problem loading information. Basically all unit information panes are just black screens, like this, forever.

Similar thing happens with for example the tutorial videos section, the youtube interface shows up fine but if I hit play not only does nothing happen, but the whole pane stops responding to interactions (rest of the game works perfectly) and I just have to close it. And the opening cinematic to the game did some weird thing where it played audio on a black screen for 20 seconds until I started clicking poo poo and then it suddenly decided to show me the actual video as well.

Only found two results googling this and neither had any kind of help or suggestion except that it might be internet connection thing, so I made sure to double check my firewall was letting the game do its thing. No further idea of what to do. Everything else seems to work fine, the game plays great, I can browse other UI elements like Mannfred's own skills and stats or the tech/diplomacy/etc. But unit info won't show up. Any ideas on cause(s) here?

Right clicking on a unit for information is pretty useless. You're better off looking at the stats when you hover over them (and you can hover over their buffs there for even more info). There's a small button to let you do this in battles as well, on the bottom left.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's a couple of missing stats like attack speed and accuracy but in general it's good

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

The in-battle hotkey is I (i) and on the campaign map you should be able to see stats when hovering over unit cards (the stats appear in the bottom-left). You can pin the stats by clicking the little pin icon on the unit card, and then hover the mouse over the stats and attributes and abilities to see what they are, and get breakdowns of damage stats etc.

This remains the most convoluted way of viewing unit stats ever invented.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah, as great as the total war warhammer games are the bullshit in-game 'redirect to a lovely browser' help screen has always been a terrible idea that is terribly implemented.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Insurrectionist posted:

So the unit cards show everything relevant? That's convenient at least.

You can also select a unit in the army pane and then scroll over the recruitment menu and it will compare their stats.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, as great as the total war warhammer games are the bullshit in-game 'redirect to a lovely browser' help screen has always been a terrible idea that is terribly implemented.

The update that's coming to Rome 2 got rid of the web-based encyclopedia, so there's hope it'll be gone in Warhammer 3 at least.

I get the appeal of the online encyclopedia as a developer. You can update information in it without having to push a patch every time you add an apostrophe or fix a typo or whatever. It could have even been used as a vehicle to tease upcoming content and stuff like that, but man they couldn't have implemented it any worse.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 11, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The problem with the encyclopaedia is it has the abilities of poo poo like a Corpse Cart but doesn't explain what the hell it actually does.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hyperlinking is hard okay.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

20 loving turns to complete the last ritual

WH2 has some really loving terrible pacing, I decided to mop up my first campaign and I am snoring here after sacrificing the skaven mega army of death got stopped by 3 full garrisons

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I hate how easy it is for the Norseman AI to recover. I crush 3 stacks and send their entire army to hell and 4-5 turns later they're running around with 3 stacks again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

new phone who dis posted:

I hate how easy it is for the Norseman AI to recover. I crush 3 stacks and send their entire army to hell and 4-5 turns later they're running around with 3 stacks again.

Old Norsca has MASSIVE background income to compensate for their army/building selection being poor and their lands being frozen hellholes with poo poo income. You can't really ever suppress them without annihilating them because even if you force them back into one settlement this background income remains ludicrous.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

If you really want to take out your hatred of norsemen then play a bretonnia campaign, get the norsca/chaos techs, and send a doomstack north to scour the poorly-defended settlements

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kanos posted:

Old Norsca has MASSIVE background income to compensate for their army/building selection being poor and their lands being frozen hellholes with poo poo income. You can't really ever suppress them without annihilating them because even if you force them back into one settlement this background income remains ludicrous.

It makes the Dark Elves super not fun to play. I've tried campaigns with them 4 or 5 times and it's just a slog of whack-a-mole and I hate it. I should be invading Ulthuan or plundering Lizard temples, instead I'm playing against the lovely Norscan AI with unlimited resources from over a year ago.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

It makes the Dark Elves super not fun to play. I've tried campaigns with them 4 or 5 times and it's just a slog of whack-a-mole and I hate it. I should be invading Ulthuan or plundering Lizard temples, instead I'm playing against the lovely Norscan AI with unlimited resources from over a year ago.

There's a mod on the workshop that cripples their background income to prevent them from doing this as a holdover until Foundation hits, at least.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kanos posted:

There's a mod on the workshop that cripples their background income to prevent them from doing this as a holdover until Foundation hits, at least.

That's the other thing that's killing me - No regiments of renown. It's funny because behind walls I can beat like 2 stacks with just a garrison but out in the open field with a decent army I just get swarmed by these assholes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

What's the best way to see the relationship between two AI factions? Before you'd just open diplomacy with one and then hover over the map face icon of the other, but now those icons follow lords around rather than being in a set place, which may be off in the fog or whatever.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vargs posted:

What's the best way to see the relationship between two AI factions? Before you'd just open diplomacy with one and then hover over the map face icon of the other, but now those icons follow lords around rather than being in a set place, which may be off in the fog or whatever.

if you click on a settlement for a faction, then go to the other faction's settlements, where you'd check your own relations (the green/yellow/red face) now tells you the relationship between the two.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If you really want to take out your hatred of norsemen then play a bretonnia campaign, get the norsca/chaos techs, and send a doomstack north to scour the poorly-defended settlements

Or Durthu/Orion. Turn the north green.

AI Malekith tends to hellmarch Norsca, too, when Chaos shows up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark Elfs is fun because you start out bashing the absolute poo poo out of norscans who field hordes and hordes of dudes that are 100% worse than your dudes in pretty much every way (excluding trolls). So you have an army of 800 dark elfs who beat armies of 3000 norscans, enslave them, and eat them to create a battleship.

Course, by the time you beat all the idiot norscans, you might as well be unassailable because nobody is gonna attack you in any meaningful way that a single stack+garrison can't stop.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
On the other hand, every Norscan village by turn 40 or so is worth 10000+ gold when sacked. Their typical army is terrible at auto-resolve as well. My main army was able to take on three of theirs with 90% odd in my favor

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fair but sometimes it's really great to cast the blade vortex and kill 6 million unwashed viking bois before you start dealing with high elf bullshit.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One thing I'm a little disappointed about is that they simply copied a lot of mods that had heroes as part of a garrison. In theory this is fine since a hero is like a mini-lord in a lot of respects, but the problem is that the garrison heroes get treated like regular units that build up veterancy chevrons, not heroes with actual skills they can build up.

They should have made it so that heroes could 'embed' into a garrison much like they could embed in a Lord's army, and impart any bonuses they'd normally apply to a Lord's army instead to the garrison (in particular, replenishment).

Wizards, for example, would be an amazing force multiplier if embedded in a garrison. You can sometimes get them as part of an existing garrison, but they only get their starting ability. Being able to embed a hero in a city that was in imminent danger of attack would be really useful for combat support/caster heroes in particular.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think I hosed up. I'm around turn 130, and the Wood Elves control like half the drat world. They go after The Empire, who I'm allied with, and I have 5-6 full stack armies, so I figure it's a good time to beat them back a bit.

I win the first few fights against small armies and take a good bit of territory from them...but then Durthu and a Glade rider show up and just start wrecking me. How do you counter wood elves as VC? Their archers run faster than my cavalry. The only thing I can catch them with is bats, but they rip my bats to shreds on the approach because it even takes bats a long time to catch them.

Meanwhile, Forest Dragons and Treemen are beating my infantry to paste.

They crushed all three of my southern armies, and now that side of my empire is kind of screwed. I'm trying to pull Dwarves and Lizardmen into the fight to take some pressure off...but drat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Anyone had the game be kind of crashy since the hotfix? I've had two desktop crashes today when I've had zero since TWW2 came out.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kanos posted:

Anyone had the game be kind of crashy since the hotfix? I've had two desktop crashes today when I've had zero since TWW2 came out.

Yes, I had four crashes yesterday, and two times where it started to crash but then recovered.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Gonkish posted:

Or Durthu/Orion. Turn the north green.

AI Malekith tends to hellmarch Norsca, too, when Chaos shows up.

Durthu's Ski Trip is the most efficient way to scour the north. He takes zero attrition from the word go, so he can just walk out into the sea and start avenging all the trees murdered to make viking longships. You can reforest the north so quickly that Kislev will survive until the actual Chaos Invasion.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kislev always dominate in my games. I don't know own how, those big cash chaos bonuses for some fortunate resolutions.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
On the official forums, a dev said they are looking into the issue of AI armies forming very narrow and deep formations. It make my HElf vortex campaign pretty trivial so I'm glad they are looking into fixing that.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

JBP posted:

Kislev always dominate in my games. I don't know own how, those big cash chaos bonuses for some fortunate resolutions.

I must have got a busted copy of this game because Kislev is ruined almost immediately, as is every AI faction bordering the Norsca. They just can't seem to ever keep an army anywhere.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
In my Karl Franz ME game, Louen Leoncoeur immediately set sail to the north for his personal crusade. He's been crushing the Norse for more than 30 turns but can't seem to hold onto any territory. Meanwhile, his homeland is being contested by two Bret factions, the undead, the mountain dorfs and the woodies. While I'm cleaning up the vampires to the east I get to watch my mini Bret soap opera in between turns.

Guess he really is Richard the Lionheart

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

torsoboy posted:

In my Karl Franz ME game, Louen Leoncoeur immediately set sail to the north for his personal crusade. He's been crushing the Norse for more than 30 turns but can't seem to hold onto any territory. Meanwhile, his homeland is being contested by two Bret factions, the undead, the mountain dorfs and the woodies. While I'm cleaning up the vampires to the east I get to watch my mini Bret soap opera in between turns.

Same thing is happening here; glad I ganked Marienburg under him just in the nick of time. I'd rather him go crusade against the demon vikings instead of expanding further in the Empire too, because I already have to contend with a bunch of dwarfs taking Empire regions and that will not do.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The funniest games are the ones where Marienburg doesn't crack and builds a massive garrison and three stacks that never leave the city.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Insurrectionist posted:

Black info screen stuff

That might be windows firewall related. Alt tab to Windows and see if there are any notifications about wh being blocked.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

JBP posted:

The funniest games are the ones where Marienburg doesn't crack and builds a massive garrison and three stacks that never leave the city.

Every single game?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

JBP posted:

Just like Karak Eight Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

torsoboy posted:

This seems to be a ME staple, not that I'm complaining