Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I loving love that their technological workflow even allowed them to record blooper reels, somthing that would have to be animated by a team in another game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQKQjosJek

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

corn in the bible posted:

so far it seems loving awesome???

Whenever it tries to be challenging, it just manages to be obnoxious. The parts where its a slightly interactive detective story are best in industry.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still love that they modeled the whole city and there is gently caress all to do in it :eng99:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just got passed the whole opening bit which most people seem to hate but I usually like a nice slow start and this was a pretty good slow start. I can already tell fighting humans is gonna suck so much worse than fighting machines though.

Quick question: is there a general consensus on what difficulty you should play on?

Normal probably gets a little too easy around the time you have access to any purple-tier weapon, hard or v-hard provide a more balanced challenge, but do whatever you like. I really enjoy Horizon on the hardest difficulties because it leads to some truly epic-feeling machine showdowns, but there is a bit of a learning curve once you're out of Nora territory and the robodinos become much more threatening. Like TW3 the game rewards you for planning ahead with resistance potions and setting traps. Hanging on for dear life against a psychotic bird machine while there's a snowstorm raging on top of some frostbitten mountain is like peak videogames to me.

A lot of people say the area before the Proving is really slow, but I've played through the game a few times now and it's actually one of the areas I most look forward to revisiting. The environments are beautiful and everything is relatively chill before it quickly escalates into a world-spanning adventure. Also when you play it on NG+ you get to take all your acquired gear back and roast all those poor defenseless level 1 watchers with your caveman grenade launcher.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My problems with LA Noire are almost entirely about the direction the story takes towards the end, although the forced open world where there's nothing to do but follow the plot anyway is eh.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of LA Noire's biggest problems is that it tries to be a shooter when it should have been a pure adventure game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Fighting game chat: if I could pick one game I wish I had time to git gud at it would be guilty gear xrd. That game owns even though I’m real bad.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'm stuck in a loop of "I'll just buy the next iteration" with Xrd. Doesn't help all my friends have it on PC instead of PS4 too and I can't run it well enough.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LA Noire had little direction. The homicide cases halt the entire progression and feel like a proof-of-concept that they created first then built the rest of the game around. The Vice cases are the best but end abruptly with a really terrible sequence that breaks the point of view you have with the protagonist. It's not as dumb as Heavy Rain where the killer walks off screen to murder someone while the camera lingers on an irrelevant character, but it's still a jarring turn in the story. And there's this framing story about WWII that feels like someone wrote it at the last minute to tie everything together.

I'm glad I played it but it is the sum of its parts. Individually the gameplay is average at best.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The worst part of LA Noire is that its best mysteries are in the first quarter of the game and then it's all way way downhill from there. I was really disappointed by it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Palpek posted:

I loving love that their technological workflow even allowed them to record blooper reels, somthing that would have to be animated by a team in another game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQKQjosJek

:allears:

It was a double-edged sword. Actors had to be brought on set, groomed, and photo captured. This meant re-writes were difficult which complicated an already difficult production.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

L.A. Noire made me hungry for a remake of The Last Express, which had a similar design process where real actors in clown makeup acted out every scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVXjUWSNGw&t=455s

The clothing is all neon suits with black lines painted on them and their hair has painted highlights. The live actors look like they stepped out of a comic book.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

elex owns dude dont be hatin on the weird gothic stalker combination that is basically everything i ever wanted in a game

didnt you refund because it was too buggy

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The best thing to do in La Noire was to get all the wrong dialogue choices and start yelling for answers at a girl who just lost her mother "STOP LYING THE SHOE WAS SIZE 8"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Finally got a SNES classic this morning..... but my wife won't let me open it until Christmas. It's a little silly how excited I am to boot this thing up and play like a dozen of my old favorite games. I'm sure my memories of some of them are clouded with nostalgia (I doubt I will enjoy Mario Kart and F-Zero as much as I did as a kid), but then again I've played a few of them recently enough to know they are still drat good games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i'm sorry to hear that la noire turns out to be bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Looking at the ea/respawn deal more closely, it seems pretty clear that ea has a huge incentive to close the studio by 2022 unless it somehow becomes a huge earner.

Like 2/3rds of the 450 million payout in the deal could be avoided if the company is dissolved within 4 years.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Real hurthling! posted:

Looking at the ea/respawn deal more closely, it seems pretty clear that ea has a huge incentive to close the studio by 2022 unless it somehow becomes a huge earner.

Like 2/3rds of the 450 million payout in the deal could be avoided if the company is dissolved within 4 years.

Ignoring the "EA likes to close studios" narrative for a minute, that's not really an incentive. No company wants to spend $300 million for a studio just to close it within 4 years, that's just a complete waste of money. They would rather pay the full 450 and get a studio that makes a bunch of great (in regards to revenue brought in) games that make that price more than worth it. The 2022 thing is just a failsafe to recoup SOME costs if things go balls up and all the talent leaves.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

Ignoring the "EA likes to close studios" narrative for a minute, that's not really an incentive. No company wants to spend $300 million for a studio just to close it within 4 years, that's just a complete waste of money. They would rather pay the full 450 and get a studio that makes a bunch of great (in regards to revenue brought in) games that make that price more than worth it. The 2022 thing is just a failsafe to recoup SOME costs if things go balls up and all the talent leaves.

They only paid 150 million

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also it's EA, I can totally see the C-Suite doing this primarily to keep Nexon from gaining an advantage and thinking that is good enough and shuttering it later for when they need more liquidity for some other petty bullshit.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/928752593354059776

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Real hurthling! posted:

They only paid 150 million

I misread the 2/3 as being upfront, 1/3 later. Even so.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

My problems with LA Noire are almost entirely about the direction the story takes towards the end, although the forced open world where there's nothing to do but follow the plot anyway is eh.

Even before the ending I remember some problems with the story. It's been years since I played, but weren't there just like big weird time-skips?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You hop in BT2 and he displays ads for loot boxes, and tells you what a great deal the highest titanbux purchase is, and that maybe the evil corporation is actually good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palpek posted:

The best thing to do in La Noire was to get all the wrong dialogue choices and start yelling for answers at a girl who just lost her mother "STOP LYING THE SHOE WAS SIZE 8"
It's hilarious when people just completely shut Cole down when he completely flips out like a total lunatic when he's wrong and then he just meekly apologizes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I was afraid I would hate Dead Rising 2 but I just put 6 hours into it nonstop. Send help.

It's easier than I remember the first game being but I think the bosses are worse. All of these fucks move faster than you, attack in wide arcs, and you can't really stagger them. Like gently caress that fat chainsaw guy, he should be running marathons.

Saint Freak posted:

Even before the ending I remember some problems with the story. It's been years since I played, but weren't there just like big weird time-skips?

There are. The game also breaks point of view to have the protagonist do things off camera that are completely out of character.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

I was afraid I would hate Dead Rising 2 but I just put 6 hours into it nonstop. Send help.

It's easier than I remember the first game being but I think the bosses are worse. All of these fucks move faster than you, attack in wide arcs, and you can't really stagger them. Like gently caress that fat chainsaw guy, he should be running marathons.
The chainsaw furry is easy, just keep jumping back and forth between the barriers where the pews end, he'll run around them the whole way to get it at you, giving you ample time to hit him. Also painkillers and knife gloves are the boss killers.

Chef Antoine is the real fucker, and you're probably going to have a hell of a time in your first playthrough unless you lucked out and got the dodge roll early.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

The chainsaw furry is easy, just keep jumping back and forth between the barriers where the pews end , he'll run around them the whole way to get it at you, giving you ample time to hit him. Also painkillers and knife gloves are the boss killers.

Chef Antoine is the real fucker, and you're going to have a hell of a time in your first playthrough unless you lucked out and got the dodge roll early.

I lucked out with Antoine and he continued eating way longer than he should have so I could knock off 1/3 of his health each time he ate. With chainsaw furry I tried hopping around the pews but the chainsaw clips through them. I still beat the guy on the second try but I found a shotgun and kited him around the church and he'll randomly fall down if you shoot him in the dick.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Saint Freak posted:

Yes, and as a personal pet peeve of mine it really bugged the hell out of me that they touted historical accuracy and all the research they put into it, then have you solve the actual Black Dahlia murder case and blame it being unsolved in real life on a fictional political cover-up. It’s like they went back to every historical source they had and said “as thanks for your input, here is a kick in the dick”.

I was super hype about LA Noire when it was coming out, put up with its weird quirks through the start of the game, then hit that and just shut the drat thing off. I’ll maybe go through it again if it’s a PS+ freebie at some point but years later I’m still salty enough about it that I refuse to pay money for the experience.

The face capture tech is still really nifty though. :v: It’s basically an FMV game at heart, they just realized they could stream texture data onto faces instead of taking up the whole picture with video.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did they use the same tech on Until Dawn because it also has the creepy faces

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the loot crate poo poo in Battlefront 2 looks insanely loving bad. it's bizarre to see how much Ubisoft improved over 2017 while EA has completely ruined like 3 great franchises

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DLC Inc posted:

the loot crate poo poo in Battlefront 2 looks insanely loving bad. it's bizarre to see how much Ubisoft improved over 2017 while EA has completely ruined like 3 great franchises
For all their flaws Ubi actually learns from their mistakes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ubisoft also released some greedy boring games this year iirc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Ubisoft also released some greedy boring games this year iirc

Pretty sure those boring games were really popular

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Ometeotl posted:

I misread the 2/3 as being upfront, 1/3 later. Even so.

Anything to keep any IP out of other publishers hands.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cod is the biggest most boring game in the world, boring does not disqualify high sales

Wildlands being the sales king for 10 months in a row is a great shame on our culture

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Cod is the biggest most boring game in the world, boring does not disqualify high sales

I don't think releasing games you don't personally like is the same as ruining potentially great games with loot crate garbage

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have absolutely no idea what people saw in Wildlands. Like, with the Call of Shooty games like COD and Battlefield etc, I can at least point at them and say "I can see why people find this fun". Wildlands just looked so unapologetically boring and ugly and tasteless that I could not understand why people liked it for what may be the first time for me in like a decade.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wildlands selling so much just seems so baffling to me, like I know it's multiplatform which is half the battle, but at least CoD gets to coast on mainstream name recognition, how did Ghost Recon reach those same heights

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Wildlands being the sales king for 10 months in a row is a great shame on our culture

I agree Wildlands is like a reallllly lovely dimestore MGSV game and I loving hate The Division/all tom clancy poo poo, but For Honor was a legit interesting new IP with a great fighting system, I loved the XCOM Kingdom Battle game, AC Origins is a huge leap forward, and Far Cry 5 looks hype as gently caress. And hey, Michel Ancel might actually finish a game! It was a really strong comeback year for the company, and if they have to sell an extremely blandlands 3rd person game to finance good poo poo, so be it.

It's like how Bethesda's Elder Scrolls and Fallouts aren't the best games in the Zenimax log, but that insane money they roll in is very likely how a company like Arkane can keep pumping out low-selling masterpieces. Papa Todd probably keeps everyone afloat so we can get Wolfensteins, Dishonoreds, and Evil Withins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

I don't think releasing games you don't personally like is the same as ruining potentially great games with loot crate garbage

I cant tell if youre confusing me or im confusing you.

• Locked thread