Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TetsuoTW posted:

What a load of condescending wank.

He's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

He's not wrong.

He hardly said much of anything

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Super Fan posted:

He hardly said much of anything

Agreed. I just said aficionados of anything generally have different tastes and appreciation points.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^ howdy.

They said that people's first impressions of a film are largely determined by how well it meets their expectations, and that's why TDK, the film in which Bale's Batman largely acts out the power fantasy of Batman straight, was more well-received than TDKR, a film which repeatedly subverts our expectations of a Batman film (Bale is aging, he's physically worn, his opponents aren't criminals but popular revolutionaries).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Darko posted:

Ask people who like TDK the most how they thought things like score (weakest of the 3, with dog chases cars being the large standout and great, but not quite as rich throughout), cinematography (weakest of the 3; not as beautiful as Rises, not as varied as Begins), or other technical aspects were better than the other two, and many will just cross eyes - which is kind of the difference between this forum and other opinions.

Without dissemination of each aspect of a film while watching, opinions are often mostly formed by expectation and realization of, and TDK is the Batman film that matched expectations the most, while TDKR is the one that subverted them the most.

Nobody cares about movie scores. Most people wouldn't care that one movie has better cinematography than another, not to mention that sounds subjective as gently caress. What people do care about is a plot that makes at least a little bit of sense. TDKR did subvert my expectations because I went in expecting a movie at least as good or better than TDK and instead I got... that. I spent the whole movie wondering if I was crazy for thinking it was dumb until I got to the very end with the Robin reveal, then I realized that no, this actually does suck.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

People don't actually care if the plot makes sense, c.f Luke jumping down the shaft in Empire Strikes Back, the car flying off at the end of Grease, Pikachu coming back to life at the end of the Pokemon movie. All hugely successful.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody cares about movie scores. Most people wouldn't care that one movie has better cinematography than another, not to mention that sounds subjective as gently caress. What people do care about is a plot that makes at least a little bit of sense. TDKR did subvert my expectations because I went in expecting a movie at least as good or better than TDK and instead I got... that. I spent the whole movie wondering if I was crazy for thinking it was dumb until I got to the very end with the Robin reveal, then I realized that no, this actually does suck.

That's not actually explaining anything though. That's just an adjective. WHY did it suck? Wht did the plot make no sense? If you don't give an actual thoughtful perspective in discussion, how can one gain appreciation in any manner? (Even with thoughtful negatives of how things are done wrong - it raises appreciation for when other films do things right.)

For example, I'll explain why I appreciated the Robin reveal.

Im a movie that purposely included a wide range of many aspects and tales of Batman, from standard continuity, to his most famous Elseworlds, to Adam West, etc., and answered the question of how this general character can succeed, creating a character that combined aspects of Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, and Jason Todd and simply naming him Robin, to encapsulate all (and it works as a reveal, as people realize after the fact that hes been carrying on the Robin role the entire film), is a good companion to that. I liked that, personally.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

josh04 posted:

People don't actually care if the plot makes sense, c.f Luke jumping down the shaft in Empire Strikes Back, the car flying off at the end of Grease, Pikachu coming back to life at the end of the Pokemon movie. All hugely successful.

ash was the one who came back to life, you fool

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Also a score in a film is part of the plot when done well; and its a major part of the film dialogue and plot (along with the cinematography) in the Nolan Batfilms. There's an important reason why the same cue as young Bruce in the well comes into play and turns into the new "Rise" theme when Bruce is reborn and rises out of the (Lazarus) pit. That kind of auditory storytelling is important for show, don't tell filmaking, that, yes, many people don't (actively) recognize.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Brother Entropy posted:

ash was the one who came back to life, you fool

Whoops. Pikachu's the one with the magic tears, then, right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pikachu dies in one of the Pokemon X/Y movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

Also a score in a film is part of the plot when done well; and its a major part of the film dialogue and plot (along with the cinematography) in the Nolan Batfilms. There's an important reason why the same cue as young Bruce in the well comes into play and turns into the new "Rise" theme when Bruce is reborn and rises out of the (Lazarus) pit. That kind of auditory storytelling is important for show, don't tell filmaking, that, yes, many people don't (actively) recognize.

Rises is also fun to watch if you approach it in the mindset that Bruce actually dies in the pit, and all the insane poo poo that happens afterward with him "saving the world" is just his power fantasy playing out as he slowly dies.

The Nolan series is great about how it gradually proves the point that a guy dressing up as a bat and beating up criminals is actually a really bad idea and could lead to really bad things. There wouldn't have been a roided-out strongman and an insane scion running around with a nuclear bomb in Gotham if Bruce hadn't gone to "find himself" in the Himalayas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

Rises is also fun to watch if you approach it in the mindset that Bruce actually dies in the pit, and all the insane poo poo that happens afterward with him "saving the world" is just his power fantasy playing out as he slowly dies.

The Nolan series is great about how it gradually proves the point that a guy dressing up as a bat and beating up criminals is actually a really bad idea and could lead to really bad things. There wouldn't have been a roided-out strongman and an insane scion running around with a nuclear bomb in Gotham if Bruce hadn't gone to "find himself" in the Himalayas.

Ra's was always going to bring down Gotham.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kinda goes with the theme of escalation. Batman is the fault of the League of Shadows for multiple reasons; spreading poverty through Gotham that turns people to crime and lets gangs thrive, leading to the death of the Waynes, and then training Bruce while making unwise assumptions about his own personal ideas of justice. And their cockamamie scheme to destroy Gotham with a chemical weapon just ends up proving the crazy billionaire right about the need for a bat-themed vigilante to deal with crazy people in costumes.

In effect, their economic warfare, unilateral acts of terror, and willingness to train anyone who they think might be useful in various dangerous arts ends up both radicalising a young man and giving him the means and opportunity to cause massive damage to him as retaliation for the depredations on his home. Yes, in this analogy the League of Shadows is the US deep state and Batman is a terrorist.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Timby posted:

Or just the whole trilogy if you replace Bane pit with funeral childhood batcave pit.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
what if like bruce wayne is the mask and batman is the dude underneath?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SleepCousinDeath posted:

what if like bruce wayne is the mask and batman is the dude underneath?

thats jim carrey

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

dublish posted:

The God of War assuming the form of a mundane British imperialist is actually pretty Good.

Considering what the British Empire ruled, yeah it is a fit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiaRYQlsjy4&t=115s

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents..."

"...to the uninitiated."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ&t=92s

I love Bane's voice. Tom Hardy is excellent at comedy and I'm glad Nolan brought humor into it. poo poo, I think after Begins they decided the concept of Batman is so retarded Bale was also doing his voice as comedy and they knew.

EDIT: Bane sounds like a cranky old high society man wanting to put youngin's in their place. "Oh, sonny, you think you know stuff? I was born in STUFF, MOLDED BY IT, UPHILL BOTH WAYS, whippersnapper!"

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 11, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Darko posted:

That's not actually explaining anything though. That's just an adjective. WHY did it suck? Wht did the plot make no sense? If you don't give an actual thoughtful perspective in discussion, how can one gain appreciation in any manner? (Even with thoughtful negatives of how things are done wrong - it raises appreciation for when other films do things right.)
For me, it was too pretentious. A lot of its attempts at being "deep" fell flat. One reviewer I read said that "there is no subtext here, it's just text".

There's the theme of haves vs have-nots that doesn't really go anywhere. Selena complains about rich people but she's no revolutionary, she's just a self-interested thief. Bane talks about giving Gotham back to its people, but his curfew hurts rich and poor alike and his ultimate plan is to nuke the whole city.

There's this prison escape that is supposed to be a metaphor for rebirth, I suppose. Everything about that part is too weird. Bruce is cured of a spinal injury with a slap to the back? He has to escape by free-climbing his way up a pit. Where are the prison guards who should have stopped him? Why don't the prisoners collaborate to build a ladder or something? Why wasn't Bruce's escape reported to Bane?

The League of Shadows has about as much depth as Cobra from GI Joe. They have no stated ideology and their objectives are murky. They're just there to shoot people and blow up poo poo.

Gordon needs to keep Harvey Dent's heel turn secret for some bizarre reason. It goes back to TDK. Batman takes the fall for Harvey's murders because it didn't occur to him that they could just blame the Joker who's been killing people left and right. He does it because if Harvey's reputation is ruined, society will give up the fight against crime for some reason. Bane reads Gordon's diary aloud, exposing the cover-up, and it's made to look like a big deal but absolutely nothing comes out of it. Gordon is not fired, Batman gets a loving statue, and Gotham goes on being low-crime.

Bruce keeps trusting Selena even though she screws him over on three occasions.

The worst part for me was not the Robin reveal but the reveal that Bruce is alive and in Italy. It's terrible because it completely invalidates Alfred's farewell to Bruce. That was a beautiful scene, a nice performance by Michael Caine.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kurzon posted:

The worst part for me was not the Robin reveal but the reveal that Bruce is alive and in Italy. It's terrible because it completely invalidates Alfred's farewell to Bruce. That was a beautiful scene, a nice performance by Michael Caine.

This for real, they couldn't at least have made that like a post credits scene or something?

The best part for me is when Catwoman tells Batman that he doesn't owe these people anything anymore and it cuts to his reaction and like the suit IRL is really hard to breathe in and constricting and causes this total fourth wall break. The helmet is a little off-center from his face it's not even on straight, he can't breathe through his nose and Nolan holds the shot for an extra two seconds more than you'd expect and it just completely breaks it and you see a tired not able to breathe Christian Bale feeling unhappy he's been in this suit for six hours today instead of Batman. :3:

The other best part is when Bane kills the Roland Daggett character (they changed his first name or something IIRC?) and the sound/editing of the scene makes it seem Bane killed him by gently caressing his hair....TO DEATH!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

This for real, they couldn't at least have made that like a post credits scene or something?

The best part for me is when Catwoman tells Batman that he doesn't owe these people anything anymore and it cuts to his reaction and like the suit IRL is really hard to breathe in and constricting and causes this total fourth wall break. The helmet is a little off-center from his face it's not even on straight, he can't breathe through his nose and Nolan holds the shot for an extra two seconds more than you'd expect and it just completely breaks it and you see a tired not able to breathe Christian Bale feeling unhappy he's been in this suit for six hours today instead of Batman. :3:

The other best part is when Bane kills the Roland Daggett character (they changed his first name or something IIRC?) and the sound/editing of the scene makes it seem Bane killed him by gently caressing his hair....TO DEATH!

It's still a better Batman costume than the one that makes Affleck look fat

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's not bad, it's one of the few Batman suits where the actors can turn their head at all. I think the new fighting style they invented for the Nolan movies that consisted of elbowing and punching people was built around the suit also. I forget if he could actually kick in it. IIRC Michael Keaton got some kind of leg injury from the one time you see him kick someone in Batman '89 because of the suit.

Speaking of costumes making actors look fat, I kind of hate the Marvel "house style" for helmets. Like Michael Cox and Chis Evans are not particularly pudgy people at all, but look at what their respective helmets do in DD season 2 and Avengers 1.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

why would that have made a difference?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

josh04 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiaRYQlsjy4&t=115s

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents..."

"...to the uninitiated."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ&t=92s

How sad is it that there are no sophisticated or awe-inspiring scenes like either of these in the DCEU films.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Begins looks so good.

Brother Entropy posted:

why would that have made a difference?

It'd be a fun extra thing instead of an "actually nothing matters" right after he gets a statue.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It'd be a fun extra thing instead of an "actually nothing matters" right after he gets a statue.

i don't really understand why coming after the credits changes that, though

before or after it's still an epilogue showing that bruce survived and is attempting to live his own life apart from gotham and batman

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i don't really understand why coming after the credits changes that, though

Okay.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's a statue for Batman. Batman is dead. Not Bruce Wayne who for all we know is living under a different identity. JGL is hopefully more like a Nightwing, his own hero with Wayne's resources.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Interview with JL cinematographer Fabian Wagner.

quote:

He is a huge fan of the original comic books and the characters and has a fantastic knowledge of that world. We chatted for an hour or so about his general ideas for the production, moving the look forwards. Zack wanted to get away from the stylized, desaturated, super-high contrast looks of other films in the franchise. I am someone who likes to light very naturally, so that fitted my work ethic. It had already been decided that Justice League would shoot on 35mm film, and although I had not shot celluloid for several years, I was excited by the prospect.
The beauty of working with the 500T is that, in combination with the lenses and the lab [i-Dailies, now Kodak Film Lab London at Pinewood], I could push the stock several stops and quickly adapt to his request, while retaining the image quality. For example, to obtain the correct exposure for shooting at 120fs, I would open the lens by one or two stops, to around T2.8, and then push process at the lab by a further stop or two as required – all without having to radically change or put more lighting into the scene. It takes ten seconds to do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

viral spiral posted:

How sad is it that there are no sophisticated or awe-inspiring scenes like either of these in the DCEU films.

:lol: Shut the gently caress up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEfoNXQDWBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixaEnZHtH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlINHSnUx9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iFiv7_33TM

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoim_wTR1fU
:colbert:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: Shut the gently caress up.

You forgot the "Martha!" scene you tool. :lol:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

viral spiral posted:

You forgot the "Martha!" scene you tool. :lol:

You're a moron.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A shame the color grading looks like it got changed, from the trailers we've seen. I hope it's not the case in the final film because that would stink if it were. I appreciated the contrasts and it made a lot of scenes look really striking.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jimbot posted:

A shame the color grading looks like it got changed, from the trailers we've seen. I hope it's not the case in the final film because that would stink if it were. I appreciated the contrasts and it made a lot of scenes look really striking.

Another early critic response says that there is much that the trailers did not reveal. I'm hoping the final movie do look good because I saw some flashes of cool-looking images in one of the 30 second TV spots.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

...I'm most interested in seeing Cyborg's part in the film tbh. I know what I'm getting with all of the other actors and their roles. With like no competition and the early buzz as positive as you can ask for for a DC release, this movie is gonna cruuush it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Neo Rasa posted:

That’s 2 movies now where Ben Mendelsohn gets dunked on by a tall scary guy in a mask.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gonz posted:

That’s 2 movies now where Ben Mendelsohn gets dunked on by a tall scary guy in a mask.

Tom Hardy isn't tall, and I can't tell if I love or hate how obvious the tricks to hide his height are in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The MSJ posted:

Zack wanted to get away from the stylized, desaturated, super-high contrast looks of other films in the franchise.

pre:
Warner Brothers movie pitch lab, int:

ZACK SNYDER
What if Justice League... but in colour?

EXECUTIVES APPLAUD

• Locked thread