Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Build it and they will come

Maaaan I wish 4e had an open license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I'm getting ready to run a 4e game for some friends of mine but I haven't played in a long time, what's the best option for character building nowadays? Still the online character builder (which apparently still exists after all)?

If you can make sure everyone has access to it, the best option is the offline character builder modded to currency (with all the Zelda races added in.)

Also, does the module exist for the Dragon Magazine wookie race?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

The Crotch posted:

Sometimes, the best option is in your PMs.

Rip me :(

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

The Crotch posted:

Sometimes, the best option is in your PMs.

Indeed!

Lurdiak posted:

Maaaan I wish 4e had an open license.

Yeah, although given their previous experience I'm not surprised they wanted to avoid someone creating path4inder as a 5e competitor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Yeah, although given their previous experience I'm not surprised they wanted to avoid someone creating path4inder as a 5e competitor.

Yeah I totally get it, but then Mike Mearls pushed 4e off a cliff so it'd be nice if someone was able to pick it up.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

For the price of one months DDI sub you can get PMs.
Then you can enjoy offline charbuilders and offline compendiums. Or you can just hang out in my discord

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Give broke-rear end Lowtax some money, geez.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Moriatti posted:

(with all the Zelda races added in.)
What is this now?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
What were the recommended math adjustments for player characters? I just started running a 4e campaign again, and while I remembered to only use mm3 and later, I know there were a couple more recommended tweaks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheCog posted:

What were the recommended math adjustments for player characters? I just started running a 4e campaign again, and while I remembered to only use mm3 and later, I know there were a couple more recommended tweaks.
The "math fix feats", Versatile Expertise and Improved Defenses, should be given to players at around level 3. Or just give them as bonus feats and start at level 3.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
In descending order of importance:

Inherent bonuses, check the box in the builder and forget forever.

Free expertise feats (usually either as many instances of versatile expertise as they want or one free essentials expertise... I usually do the former) by level 3.

Free improved defenses sometime before paragon.

Free melee training for non-str primary classes (extremely optional... I usually skip this one).

e: And yeah, other than Inherent Bonuses, I've started fitting in the others when story appropriate for a boon or something so as not to overwhelm new players with houserules right away.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 13, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah, always check Inherent Bonuses in the Manage/Details tab. It's below all the Name/Gender/etc tabs, in the "Optional Details" checkboxes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taught my padawan from work how to build characters today.

"Hey, this says I can actually move an ally around."
"Yeah, those are forced movement effects. They're really common and super useful. Like, if you're the fighter, and you have the badly armored wizard between you and a monster, you can just grab them and go 'get behind me, buddy.'"
"Or push them towards the monster. 'Sink or swim, mate.' Uh, not that I'd do such a terrible thing."

This is gonna be one of those get-it-out-of-your-system games, isn't it. :v:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

ElegantFugue posted:

What is this now?

I'll have to see if I can locate the document, but somebody made these for the offline builder and they're pretty ok!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moriatti posted:

I'll have to see if I can locate the document, but somebody made these for the offline builder and they're pretty ok!

If you find it, I'd be interested too. I had some trouble a while back making custom races for the offline builder, so a set of working examples might help me out.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Spiteski posted:

For the price of one months DDI sub you can get PMs.
Then you can enjoy offline charbuilders and offline compendiums. Or you can just hang out in my discord

I'm someone who has PMs and has just been roped into DMing 4e. I would be interested in these offline compendiums.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ojetor posted:

I'm someone who has PMs and has just been roped into DMing 4e. I would be interested in these offline compendiums.

Same.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Anyone have the exact wording for the Tempest Fighter class feature? Built a Ranger/Fighter Hybrid that uses it as its Hybrid talent, but I wanted to see if the attack bonus was applied to ranged heavy thrown weapon attacks, particularly the Ranged Basic Attack. My character builder doesn't add the attack bonus to the Ranged Basic Attack, but not only applies the attack bonus to the ranged version of Twin Strike, but also the damage bonus. The 4e Wiki and my version of the character builder say this:

quote:

Tempest Technique
A fighter who selects the Tempest Technique class feature instead of Fighter Weapon Talent gains Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, regardless of prerequisites. While wielding two melee weapons, the fighter gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls with off-hand property weapons. While wearing light armor or chainmail and wielding two weapons, the fighter gains a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee or close weapon attacks, or a +2 bonus to damage rolls if using an off-hand property weapon.

So, the way I read it, the attack bonus WOULD be applied to ranged attacks, like an RBA, but not the damage rolls because the damage specifically bonus only applies to melee or close weapon attacks.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Exact text from Martial Power:

quote:

Tempest Technique
When you wield two melee weapons, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with weapons that have the off-hand property.

You gain Two-Weapon Defense as a bonus feat, even if you don’t meet the prerequisites.

When wearing light armor or chainmail, you gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with melee and close weapon attacks when you are wielding two weapons. This bonus increases to +2 with weapons that have the off-hand property.

So yes, you should get the attack bonus to ranged attacks but not the damage bonus.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 21, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Cool, thanks. So the attack bonus always applies to weapon attacks with off-handed weapons (this means melee or ranged), but the damage bonus only applies to melee and close weapon attacks. That's what I thought, it's just the character builder is just wonky and not applying certain bonuses right. I'll have to keep that in mind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've always felt like attack bonuses are significantly more important than damage bonuses unless you know you're never going to a higher level. A +5% chance to hit is essentially a +5% increase to damage, which always edges out +1 damge whenever you expect to do 20 or more damage at once. Plus, hitting has other effects you otherwise wouldn't get, especially on your at-wills. Higher damage bonuses obviously get more worth it, +1d6 (3.5) stays quite worthwhile until paragon, when it jumps again to +2d6 (7), etc. etc.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this theorycrafting except, maybe "don't stress the lost damage bonus if the attack bonus is still worth it"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does the DR curve look like 1-20?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ojetor posted:

I would also be interested in these.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Not quite what you meant, but I threw together a quick spreadsheet about how much an attack bonus is effectively worth in damage, based on your average damage.

If my math is right, a +1 bonus to damage starts a good bit stronger than a +1 bonus to attack, but as your average damage goes up, it gets less and less attractive. The greater the attack bonus, though, the larger the damage bonus has to be to keep up. But again, that's not counting the myriad of On-Hit effects that 4e is built around. And once you're doing 20 or more damage, +N to attack rolls is always at least as good as +N to damage.

Edit Looking at some of my characters with some more napkin math, with a d8 weapon and a primary stat of +5, that's not quite average with a 3[W] daily without some other bonus in play, but it's drat close. So I guess the main conclusion to draw here is that attack bonuses scale better than damage bonuses, once you've hit a threshold of 20 damage.

dont even fink about it posted:

+1 damage is literally never nearly as good as +1 to hit by the way. Even at level 1.
Well, obviously, but I'm talking about from a pure-math perspective, ignoring most of the game and pretending it's just two people making MBAs at each other simultaneously until one of them drops.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 22, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Damage reduction?

Roughly 5/10/15 per tier for single-type effects (fire, acid), with outliers above 15.

Something like 1/2/5 if you want to reduce everything.

+1 damage is literally never nearly as good as +1 to hit by the way. Even at level 1.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's one power in one of the PHBs that lets you choose between +1 to hit, +2 to a defense, or +3 to damage, so I've seen that as a good sloppy estimate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not just about the numbers. In a system where the majority of attacks does damage and a useful effect, a bonus to attacks is always going to be better than one to damage.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's one power in one of the PHBs that lets you choose between +1 to hit, +2 to a defense, or +3 to damage, so I've seen that as a good sloppy estimate.
This makes sense to me in heroic. But I would imagine the damage side would differ per tier, since the overall damage of a hit also goes up.

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

I know there's a method to reduce the importance of magic items (inherent bonuses). Is there something similar for feats? One thing I appreciated from 5e was the much reduced emphasis on feats.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I have a major problem of thinking of an amazing campaign idea, then not doing it because it'd be more fun to play :c

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

bookkeeper posted:

I know there's a method to reduce the importance of magic items (inherent bonuses). Is there something similar for feats? One thing I appreciated from 5e was the much reduced emphasis on feats.
Not really. Most of them are too weird to abstract away.

If you wanted to attempt it, you could always look to Gamma World's number progression, basically adding +level to all d20 rolls and damage. That theoretically should at least make the math work. You'd also want to excise all stat increases and such too though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nalesh posted:

I have a major problem of thinking of an amazing campaign idea, then not doing it because it'd be more fun to play :c

Yeah I have a problem with that myself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bookkeeper posted:

Nothing official. The usual way is to just let people have their "feat taxes"--Expertise, Improved Defenses, Melee Training--for free at 1st level. Get those out of the way and your players will have more wiggle room for stuff that's less effective but more interesting. I like to also give out some extra feat slots, just for feats that won't significantly affect combat.

Taking away feats just makes the game lamer.

Nalesh posted:

D&D's greatest failure as a game is giving 90% of the work to one player.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I'm the only person in the world who thinks everyone should get the free weapon/implement focus feat as well. Mmm, scaling damage in a game where combat can drag, yes, good.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's not just about the numbers. In a system where the majority of attacks does damage and a useful effect, a bonus to attacks is always going to be better than one to damage.

no? it entirely depends on how big the two bonuses are (even if you assume they're both +n, it still matters what the denominator is)

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm the only person in the world who thinks everyone should get the free weapon/implement focus feat as well. Mmm, scaling damage in a game where combat can drag, yes, good.

I do that, too. Combat still takes a while, but I need to start using minions or something anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Do the two stack? I thought they were both feat bonuses.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Weapon focus only applies to Weapon-tagged attacks. Implement focus only applies to Implement-tagged attacks. They don't stack, but they also don't need to because there are no only a handful of attack powers tagged both Weapon and Implement*.

* Hexblade powers are tagged both, but feats interact strangely with their implement/pact blade setup.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 26, 2017

fog boar
Sep 14, 2017

I updated 4e Remix. A first pass on the Paladin and Beastmaster Ranger are finished. PM me for the pastebin if you're interested and don't have it yet. Text files are encoded in UTF-8 and have Windows line endings so they should open properly in Notepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
I'm planning to help get a 4E game up and running mostly off the physical copies of the 4 essentials books, but its been a while and I'd really rather only stick to stuff we have in front of us instead of trying to flip through pdfs at the table. Did the offline character builder ever get updated with Essentials classes or is it best to just do it by hand?

Also rather than fiddle with actual maps and tokens I was considering using some virtual table top platform with everyone there in person run off a laptop and chrome cast up onto a TV in the room (or viewable by the players on some mobile app, if that's possible). Do people have any strong preferences between roll20 and fantasy grounds or something else I'm not aware of?