Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna get the models, paint them all up in my 40k army colors to use as cultists, and fall into playing necromunda with them anyway :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ijyt posted:

Sounds like near replay of our first game.

Pretty much, but with more Nuffle Says No.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I worry about the addition of cards, that always makes me nervous.

And other companies sell books when custom dice are necessary, you either package them together or sell them both separately. But clearly they want to push the box. Maybe they think if enough people invest in the box, it will increase the longevity of the game.

Inches as the measuring mechanic on a board raises an eyebrow, but it also means that it won't be as hard to get people to go from 2D to 3D and they won't have to write mechanics more than once. So as far as streamlining design goes, that's probably the right call since I think most people are going to want to do 3D anyway.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hopefully it will be like Bloodbowl where the cards are completely optional.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

MrFlibble posted:

Hopefully it will be like Bloodbowl where the cards are completely optional.
It's been forever since I played physical BloodBowl - how does it work in the new edition if you don't have the cards?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

It's been forever since I played physical BloodBowl - how does it work in the new edition if you don't have the cards?
You don't play with them. :shrug:

The cards are a completely optional add-on and aren't required in any way. The old edition had them too, but they were buried in the rulebook and you had to make them yourself.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

And other companies sell books when custom dice are necessary, you either package them together or sell them both separately. But clearly they want to push the box. Maybe they think if enough people invest in the box, it will increase the longevity of the game.

Inches as the measuring mechanic on a board raises an eyebrow, but it also means that it won't be as hard to get people to go from 2D to 3D and they won't have to write mechanics more than once. So as far as streamlining design goes, that's probably the right call since I think most people are going to want to do 3D anyway.

They'll have to eventually sell the rulebook separately but it sucks that they're going to make us wait for that... I'm not a huge fan of either Goliaths or Eschers and so I'm probably gonna end up with at least one gang I can't sell off after my group gets into this.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would expect a standalone consolidated and updated rulebook after a year. At a guess.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's going to be online within a week. Just grab it then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well they certainly haven't gone that way with Blood Bowl, but then again you kind of have to have the board and tokens to play. It's really just guys like me that have an old board and wanted the updated rules. Probably not enough of us to matter.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I know it’s been forever but how long was it before Necromunda had a stand-alone book back in the day? I only knew people that had the box set from the get go.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
One in the 90s and one in the early 00s plus the PDF they made available at the end.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's going to be online within a week. Just grab it then.

They're releasing the rules for the game online for free? That's news to me....

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

They're releasing the rules for the game online for free? That's news to me....

I didn't say GW was doing it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Safety Factor posted:

You don't play with them. :shrug:

The cards are a completely optional add-on and aren't required in any way. The old edition had them too, but they were buried in the rulebook and you had to make them yourself.
Yeah, I remember printing them off on red, blue, and green paper back in the day. TBQFH, if I rooted around in all my old poo poo, I've probably still got them. :sigh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yaktribe still had the LRB as of a few months ago, it's probably all you need for retromunda.

Cults are going to be dope. GSC appeared in an issue of Citadel Journal and it was broken garbage, it'll be nice to see what they do with them today.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

moths posted:

Cults are going to be dope. GSC appeared in an issue of Citadel Journal and it was broken garbage, it'll be nice to see what they do with them today.

Hmm, GW rules... small, 7 man development staff... my bet is on broken garbage.

Maybe not as broken as GSC were on TT launch.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

ijyt posted:

Epic gooniness

At these point and model levels it plays better as a worker placement and area control game
:goonsay:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat those look cool, out of all the old goofy knights the slaaneshi ones kind of worked. Those rhinos are adorable. :kimchi:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So if I wanted to play Battle Companies without resorting to files, I'd need to get the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey rulebook, the Fallen Realms book for... abilities (unexpected journey has stats for all the units, but not full profiles) and the Battle Companies book.

Oh, and some Uruks, evil men, etc.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ijyt posted:

drat those look cool, out of all the old goofy knights the slaaneshi ones kind of worked. Those rhinos are adorable. :kimchi:

I bought nearly a chapter's worth of Epic Marines from a friend last year. I'm swimming in Rhinos.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

So if I wanted to play Battle Companies without resorting to files, I'd need to get the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey rulebook, the Fallen Realms book for... abilities (unexpected journey has stats for all the units, but not full profiles) and the Battle Companies book.

Oh, and some Uruks, evil men, etc.

Just see if you can get the previous edition for cheap on eBay or something. The new game is basically identical from what I understand, and the LotR game was really good if you didn't get into silly model counts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JcDent posted:

Hmm, GW rules... small, 7 man development staff... my bet is on broken garbage.

Oh, it's worse than that. Citadel Journal was basically fan submissions. So the GSC rules referenced a Patriarch (that didn't have rules) and the chance of 1D6 Inquisitors just showing up. (Who also didn't have rules.) It was someone's homebrew that made it into print.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just see if you can get the previous edition for cheap on eBay or something. The new game is basically identical from what I understand, and the LotR game was really good if you didn't get into silly model counts.

Unless GW does a GW and the premade starter warbands - which I guess are mandatory - really make it impossible, I'm looking forward to spending 20eu per army. All those sexy Easterlings, Khandish, Uruks, ooooh boy.

My friend has bought Arnor because he thinks they're pretty, so he's going to have the most heroic Arnorians to have ever lived.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

Oh, it's worse than that. Citadel Journal was basically fan submissions. So the GSC rules referenced a Patriarch (that didn't have rules) and the chance of 1D6 Inquisitors just showing up. (Who also didn't have rules.) It was someone's homebrew that made it into print.

moths posted:

Reminds me of these vehicle rules.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just picked up the Shadespire Orcs last night, and they look really fantastic. I am intrigued enough with the cards that I am going to have to pick up the base game soon. How have peoples experiences been so far? I

One of the guys at the game store said someone played like 7 games in under two hours. Hell yeah, sign me up.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Xlorp posted:

At these point and model levels it plays better as a worker placement and area control game
:goonsay:

6mm? lead? loving gross, get out of here with your ancient ugly models for a 30 year old dead game that no one cares about

:buddy:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just picked up the Shadespire Orcs last night, and they look really fantastic. I am intrigued enough with the cards that I am going to have to pick up the base game soon. How have peoples experiences been so far? I

One of the guys at the game store said someone played like 7 games in under two hours. Hell yeah, sign me up.

The game can get quite fast once you have the rules down and are familiar with your deck. It's great.

I'm loving the game, played a 4-player game with all the warbands yesterday and we had a blast.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The game plays real good! It's short and you can do a best of 3 in under an hour if you're fast. My only experience with the orcs is a four-way fight at games club, and they were on the other side of the board so I didn't interact with them much. They appear to not die ever but their combat effectiveness isn't great until inspired, and there isn't anything that can one-shot them without upgrades right now so they WILL get inspired.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Lets get some more Blood Bowl in here with what I think is the highest death rate game so far of our little league. B3AR FORC3 ONE vs THE BONEY BUNCH
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/200182944
I saved the first guy because I just need to keep bodies in my line. If I only knew what nuffle had in store for me...

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Hencoe posted:

Lets get some more Blood Bowl in here with what I think is the highest death rate game so far of our little league. B3AR FORC3 ONE vs THE BONEY BUNCH
https://go.twitch.tv/videos/200182944
I saved the first guy because I just need to keep bodies in my line. If I only knew what nuffle had in store for me...

DJDizzy is a war criminal. I'm going to make sure he is tried for his crimes when he comes to visit next summer.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Well I pre-ordered the Necromunda box. Gang War has the campaign rules so I got that too. And since I was there I figured I might as well pick up the dice sets for Goliath and Escher. But that was it.

I also bought the card sets

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Gangwars posted:

- House lists for Escher and Goliath gangs, containing all the information needed to assemble a complete gang of either House. This replaces the ‘Founding a Gang’ section from the Necromunda: Underhive rulebook entirely;

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

MrFlibble posted:

Well I pre-ordered the Necromunda box. Gang War has the campaign rules so I got that too. And since I was there I figured I might as well pick up the dice sets for Goliath and Escher. But that was it.

I also bought the card sets

I'm confused, doesn't the big box come with the cards and dice for the 2 gangs? I assumed the box plus gang war got you everything that will exist at release time.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

bonds0097 posted:

I'm confused, doesn't the big box come with the cards and dice for the 2 gangs? I assumed the box plus gang war got you everything that will exist at release time.

The cards in the box are a pre-set gang (plus the various gang abilities), the separate box of cards has blanks for your custom gang. Also there's fancy gang-themed dice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

What's your point? We already knew this.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

The main box has a handful of cards, 4 for each gang plus 20 generics. The individual sets have 8 specific to the gang plus 12 generics (and spare stat cards with gang crests for custom gangers). I don't know how much overlap there is between the base box cards and the specific sets.

And yeah the main box has dice, but the Gang dice are in alternative colours with House symbols on the D6s

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Zark the Damned posted:

The main box has a handful of cards, 4 for each gang plus 20 generics. The individual sets have 8 specific to the gang plus 12 generics (and spare stat cards with gang crests for custom gangers). I don't know how much overlap there is between the base box cards and the specific sets.

And yeah the main box has dice, but the Gang dice are in alternative colours with House symbols on the D6s

Gotcha. Guess I have to get it all then. :p

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Zark the Damned posted:

I don't know how much overlap there is between the base box cards and the specific sets.

None according to a facebook response (except for the blank cards which are functionally the same but have a house emblem on them). I would assume that the universal cards are also different between Goliath and Escher because this is how they're wringing more money out of Necromunda and having them all unique means a true grognard will buy all 6 house packs rather than 1.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
WTF is up with the lack of presales in the US? I can't find anyone other than GW and the Warstore that have posted a preorder for the game. Even Ebay only has like one seller so far... :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

WTF is up with the lack of presales in the US? I can't find anyone other than GW and the Warstore that have posted a preorder for the game. Even Ebay only has like one seller so far... :argh:

The preorder for this one is weird since it doesn't come out a week later but 2 weeks later.

That said, Frontline and Dicehead also have it. Given that you're gonna get the same price everywhere that isn't GW, Frontline and Warstore have you covered for West Coast and East Coast. What else do you want?