Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Its just too much value for the time spent.
If you don't need to work to convince someone to hire you, you're shooting for jobs that are beneath you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're putting these switches in the middle of some sort of cluster then maybe it's worth getting something that does RoCE/iWarp/FCoE

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, like I said still new to 10GB.

Yes...? As far as I can tell those are the smallest 10GB switches you can buy from Arista. Do you have any other suggestions or are you just being smart?

They have a 24 port SFP+ switch I don't remember the model # but it's on their thing I'm sure.

How many ports do you actually need and do you need FCoE? If you are a smaller guy you shouldn't buy that many more ports than you can use since they are rather expensive per port for a small business.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes...? As far as I can tell those are the smallest 10GB switches you can buy from Arista. Do you have any other suggestions or are you just being smart?
You can get 10- or 12-port 10GBASE-T switches from like D-Link or Netgear or TP-Link (or Cisco, but you already said you don't like Cisco), and I thought you were going to look at something like that, or maybe a switch with 2/4 10GBASE-T ports. Maybe I'm wrong, but a "relatively small" 10G network doesn't read to me as 72 10G ports.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

anthonypants posted:

You can get 10- or 12-port 10GBASE-T switches from like D-Link or Netgear or TP-Link (or Cisco, but you already said you don't like Cisco), and I thought you were going to look at something like that, or maybe a switch with 2/4 10GBASE-T ports. Maybe I'm wrong, but a "relatively small" 10G network doesn't read to me as 72 10G ports.

I assume it's 32 redundant links hence the 2nd switch. You really should do SFP+ though not copper in general unless it's all very short distances. No concerns with things like EMI, you can run cheap twinax for small distances and for longer ones you can string a patch cable and buy some 10gig optics (which are cheap these days. I buy these things in bulk).

You should probably just buy enough 10 or 40gig to cover whatever your core needs + uplinks from distribution/access switches with a little room for growth and not splurge on ports you don't need or use.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 11, 2017

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

anthonypants posted:

Jesus Christ, don't put consumer switches anywhere that matters.

Juniper if you are willing to spend to near-Cisco levels; Dell or Mellanox or Arista are all fine.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

Jesus Christ, don't put consumer switches anywhere that matters.

Juniper if you are willing to spend to near-Cisco levels; Dell or Mellanox or Arista are all fine.

All of the companies that anthony listed make small business equipment that is distinctly different from their consumer equipment.

I wouldn’t put it in an enterprise environment, but wouldn’t think twice if I saw it in smaller places.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
In talking to some MSP engineers at the job I used to work at - "I'm trying to get more in line with modern devops practices"

"What's devops?"

They then proceeded to tell me about the SBS 2011 servers they're still supporting. God I'm so glad I left that hellhole

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because the CEO doesn't understand technology. He sees no value in it and says that people will just waste all their time on it talking about sports. No matter how many articles I send my boss that says how much of an improvement it is for communication over email.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

:yotj:

Came at me from no where. Only 1 call with the cto and a stupid assessment test and boom 55k jump and I’m still a remote.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How close to 200 does that put you, and what’s a quick bullet point list of your skill set look like?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mayne posted:

Does anyone here have any tips on how we could protect sensitive data when users email it to external users? I was thinking of something like Azure RMS for the RMS but would need to encrypt the mail somehow as well.

How about PGP? I used that once upon a time many years ago. How does it hold up these days?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

How close to 200 does that put you, and what’s a quick bullet point list of your skill set look like?

Very with bonus I’ll hit it.

Rhca. K8s. Devops. Being not a chud and having the ability to talk to people. I’ll be implementing openshift and ugh openstack for large companies. It’s a redhat consulting firm.

50% travel but I’m cool with that. The rest of the time I’m home. I like to fly and see the world.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Fool posted:

All of the companies that anthony listed make small business equipment that is distinctly different from their consumer equipment.

I wouldn’t put it in an enterprise environment, but wouldn’t think twice if I saw it in smaller places.

I'm aware. They're still bad, for many reasons. In a lab? Sure. As I said, anywhere that matters? No.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Agrikk posted:

How about PGP? I used that once upon a time many years ago. How does it hold up these days?

Cryptographically PGP is still fundamentally solid. Not sure usability-wise as I haven't used PGP since the late 90s but I was using gnupg yesterday at work and ... yeah, it's still a thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Agrikk posted:

It's pretty good!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

jaegerx posted:

Very with bonus I’ll hit it.

Rhca. K8s. Devops. Being not a chud and having the ability to talk to people. I’ll be implementing openshift and ugh openstack for large companies. It’s a redhat consulting firm.

50% travel but I’m cool with that. The rest of the time I’m home. I like to fly and see the world.

Come to Vancouver I'll gently caress you up

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Come to Vancouver I'll gently caress you up

Is that a threat or promise? Canadian beer is basically moonshine

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

jaegerx posted:

:yotj:

Came at me from no where. Only 1 call with the cto and a stupid assessment test and boom 55k jump and I’m still a remote.

Congrats. That’s quite the raise.

Makes me think about venturing further into the RH certs.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
So I work in healthcare IT in Canada. I don't post here usually but tonight I really needed to scream into the void. It pays absurdly well for what it is, but literally everyone in our IT department is aware our desk shouldn't exist. As in, we don't do anything for our organization that can't be done by our contracted IT support or the vendor that supplies 90% of our problem software.

Through a combination of rumour mill, over-hearing things I ought not to have heard and reading-between-the-lines, I've gotten the impression that my desk is probably not long for this world. By virtue of being a provincial entity, and also a behemoth organization where institutional inertia is king, it'll be a while before actual changes happen, but I have the distinct impression that I will not have a job by this time next year. I'm not exactly broken up about it, because my job is pretty awful and most of it could be done by a robot that resets Citrix sessions. I've got a couple other job opportunities on the horizon but like I said: screaming into the void.

For a fun story: there was a planned major update last weekend for our critical software. No one had checked if some new build outs at our major tech integration site had been set up correctly, so I got panicked calls at T-5 hours to downtime saying their downtime systems didn't even list their units. It turns out, no one had tested the downtime computers in those two units. For TWO months. Our on-call tech was not impressed but I apologized enough that she was not mad at me.

The day after the update, we couldn't admit people who had never been to our health authority before because we could no longer contact the province's servers. Not a big deal, because most people being admited had visited one of our sites at some point. Buuuuuuuut people we could admit had their birth dates wrong because daylight savings and time zones are hard. Also, as it turns out, it wasn't just the TWO critical care units that didn't have their downtime computers set up: a few other sites had NO downtime computer set up and only bothered to let us know after the fact. At our tech integration site. And all of these units were some variety of emergency or rapid response.

I work at a dumpster fire. AMA

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Gollom posted:

I apologized enough that she was not mad at me.

:canada:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Welcome brother

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

anthonypants posted:

A "relatively small network" is two 32-port switches?

If it's all they have for access, it's about standard for a small office with room to grow.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gollom posted:

So I work in healthcare IT in Canada.

I work at a dumpster fire. AMA

You work in healthcare, this is implied.

20 applications, several of which duplicate functionality. All of which interact with others. Many programs haven’t been updated in 10 years. 24/7 support. Every broken mouse is an emergency affecting patient care.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OhDearGodNo posted:

If it's all they have for access, it's about standard for a small office with room to grow.

Since we're still talking about it, "small" means different things to different people. We don't have a ton of users, but its the smallest place I've ever worked for that wasn't an MSP. But downtime costs us a lot, enough to more than justify enterprise setups. For example we have a Cisco Catalyst 4507R-E fully kitted out for our access switch. Purchase from before my time, not what I would have gone with, but here we are. When I started we had a $50k SAN, brand new, just sitting on a workbench in my office. Not a replacement or anything, just hanging out.

I appreciate the responses from everyone. Sounds like I have a bit more research to do but the switches I budgeted for should cover the costs if we decide to go with something else at the last minute.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 11, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

You work in healthcare, this is implied.

Every broken mouse is an emergency affecting patient care.

We used to have people enter P2 tickets that page out the on call person for broken mice, on weekends, when there are literally dozens of other computers they could use. We had to have our IT director sit down with the nursing director to tell them it is not worth sending a tech to the hospital at $75/hr(our after hours/on call pay rate, we are hourly techs, yay real overtime in IT!) to fix a broken mouse and if they continued to do it he’d start charging the department that money.

They stopped doing that shortly after lol.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mattfl posted:

We used to have people enter P2 tickets that page out the on call person for broken mice, on weekends, when there are literally dozens of other computers they could use. We had to have our IT director sit down with the nursing director to tell them it is not worth sending a tech to the hospital at $75/hr(our after hours/on call pay rate, we are hourly techs, yay real overtime in IT!) to fix a broken mouse and if they continued to do it he’d start charging the department that money.

On the other hand, how would they know is the mouse that's the problem and not WW3 started? Better be safe than sorry.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

mattfl posted:

Buh buh buh patient care :qq:

But seriously though that's awesome. The rate they pay me (who knows what the actual billable is) is like 31. I wish my manager would cover for us like that, she pretty much just rubber stamps and signal boosts all the bullshit that comes our way with no real value add or blunting.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 12, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just found this posted on Linkedin.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

RFC2324 posted:

:australia:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’d send them an invoice for wasting my time too. $500/hr.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

RFC2324 posted:

I just flipped off my screen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

RFC2324 posted:

Lol that has to be fake

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm studying IT with a cs major, what should I do outside of Uni to make my resume look good.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
I was tempted to send something like that to an interviewee/recruiter one time, but it was because he convinced my boss that he was able to dump a pair of bonded T1's in favor of a 56k circuit due to using a different encryption algorithm. In my case, it was the three hours I had to spend arguing with my boss that this wasn't possible or he was explaining the solution incorrectly.

Guy would have made an amazing salesman though.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did you blur it, or did they?

Because if I receive that letter, I'm not blurring anything. I will make you famous.

e: That ole reliable fact checker, Reddit, tells me it's fake. Whew.

The Rogue job posting was real, so this wasn't out of the realm of possibilities. Believe me, we have seen some poo poo.

Here is an instance of someone getting billed for an interview, although it's assumed it was a clerical interview: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6vcr2r/ny_ny_interview_with_a_law_firm_led_to_being/
And here's someone sending a bill after being interviewed, whew, there's some cranky people out there: http://www.askamanager.org/2013/06/a-job-candidate-sent-an-invoice-for-her-interview.html

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 13, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did you blur it, or did they?

Because if I receive that letter, I'm not blurring anything. I will make you famous.

e: That ole reliable fact checker, Reddit, tells me it's fake. Whew.

The Rogue job posting was real, so this wasn't out of the realm of possibilities. Believe me, we have seen some poo poo.

whoever posted to LinkedIn blurred it. i would only have blurred my own name.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The grammar errors and layman-trying-to-write-legalise tipped the hand before the $50 / hr rate for department heads.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So, the job wants to know my salary and what my range is before the first interview.

My main concern with this place is that the pay wouldn’t match even the 49k I make after overtime now, so it’s good to get it out of the way.

Should I ask the guy who referred me what his pay was? We knew each other in college but not really since, he posted the opening on FB. I suppose if he’s a narc I shouldn’t really worry about working there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

So, the job wants to know my salary and what my range is before the first interview.

My main concern with this place is that the pay wouldn’t match even the 49k I make after overtime now, so it’s good to get it out of the way.

Should I ask the guy who referred me what his pay was? We knew each other in college but not really since, he posted the opening on FB. I suppose if he’s a narc I shouldn’t really worry about working there anyway.

No, you should tell them what your requirements are and not what your current salary is. Who cares what that guy makes