Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

There are no jokes on these forums.

:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's actually a lot of retroclones, but these are the ones that I feel comfortable recommending as good games in and of themselves.

I'd add in Retro Phaze as a very good "retroclone" based somewhat on early nes and snes jrpgs also it's free

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Terrible Opinions posted:

So what are the best/most interesting retroclones anyways? I've been wanting to give some a whirl but there are a huge number to choose from.

Here's my thoughts based on the ones I own in print;

Swords & Wizardry Complete Edition: basically a very cleaned up version of OD&D including all the supplements, it recently got a new edition that features art exclusively from women artists

Dark Dungeons: pretty much the Rules Cyclopedia with some minor tweaks and additions

Adventurer Conqueror King System: a BX clone with a heavy focus on domain management, it's one of my personal favorites(for among other things how it handles Racial Classes, the class creation system it introduces in it's first supplement, and for having the best implementation of the Cleave concept I've ever seen), but one of the people involved has some connections with The Escapist, so there might be some minor morality issues involved in buying it(although it has been in Bundle of Holding offers in the past, so that's one way to legally obtain it without directly supporting them)

Basic Fantasy Role-Playing: basically a mashup of the D20 OGL with BX, its a decent game on it's own merits, but it's biggest plusses are that it's available for dirt cheap(core book is like 5 bucks on Amazon), and it has a ton of supplement support

Microlite 74: a very light clone inspired by OD&D, has some really nice supplement support(this one isn't officially available in print, I printed up my own copy)

Blood & Treasure Complete: D20 OGL converted to fit OSR concepts

Dungeon Crawl Classics: others have covered this one well, I'll just mention that on top of it's merits as a game it's probably one of the most gorgeous books currently in print

Delving Deeper: clone of the original 3 book version of OD&D, nothing fancy but it's a cheap and useful little book, and while there isn't much art in the book what there is is pretty good(and the cover is one of my favorite pieces of OSR art)

Stars Without Number: an OSR game meant for Science Fiction settings, personally I don't like it at all and it's pretty much the one OSR product I regret buying in print

Fantastic Heroes & Witchery: a very interesting book, as it is crammed with a ton of content, including a bunch of unique classes(and reinterpretations of classic classes), the best take on Firearms in an OSR game I've seen, and 666 spells, only real issue it has is that it doesn't have a monster section, even if you don't run it by itself there's a ton of stuff you can steal for use in other games

Whitehack: probably the lightest game in the OSR, and one of the only rules light games I've read that didn't confuse and/or bore me, it manages to include a full and imaginative rules system and two adventures in just 64 pages(it even includes a way to get random numbers without dice, so it's probably one of the most prison friendly RPG systems ever made), it's also a book that is both extremely cheap in print and looks really good in a minimalist way, the only downside it has is that it has no official PDF version cause the author is a luddite weirdo

The Nightmares Underneath: this one has already been discussed a lot, but I'll reiterate that it is a really good game, about the only issues it has are a relatively weak monster and spells selection(but that's one of the nice things about the OSR, it's easy to crib stuff from other games as needed)

Pars Fortuna: a BX clone that might be one of the most unique OSR games out there, as the creator ditched much of the standard fantasy stuff and populated the classes, monsters, and spells with concepts he created using online random generators

And some non rules books I own in print;

Deep Carbon Observatory: an adventure that goes in some very unique directions

Fire On The Velvet Horizon: a bestiary full of odd and unique monsters all illustrated in a very interesting way, is rule free so could be used with other systems as well

Yoon-Suin- The Purple Land: a weird fantasy setting inspired by southern Asia, full of very useful and inspirational tables

Weird Adventures: D&D Fantasy except set in the 1930's instead of medieval or renaissance times, goes into great detail about the setting's New York City equivalent, is a good looking book

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm trying to think of a D&D-ish system I could swear I read 8-12 years ago but I can't think of exactly what it is. A lot of poo poo from around that time is kinda hazy in my mind because I was very unwell.

The thing that stick out in my memory is that skills (and attacks? and spells?) worked "like saving throws", in that the default result of a check was "you succeed / are ok / pass / hit" and you would only roll to see if you overcame any obstacles or barriers. If there were no obstacles or barriers, you didn't roll, you just succeeded. It used a d20 for this, but also used other dice. Each skill had a list of what "an obstacle/barrier/whatever" might be, so you'd know that unless those things applied, the fact that you had trained, say, "climbing" meant you could automatically climb. I'm pretty sure the text made a really big deal out of this.

I know that's vague as hell, but can anyone help me out with an idea about what I'm thinking of? It's entirely possible that I'm conflating two or three different things or that I dreamed the whole thing up.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Stars Without Number: an OSR game meant for Science Fiction settings, personally I don't like it at all and it's pretty much the one OSR product I regret buying in print

If you don't mind saying, what did you dislike about this one? I am looking for a sci fi system that I may want to introduce a mainly 5e group, the hope being that keeping it to a d20 system would smoother than say, system like Traveller.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So I finally picked up darkest dungeon and it's like someone read everything in my x-com rant and specifically made a game to soothe me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

drrockso20 posted:

Adventurer Conqueror King System: a BX clone with a heavy focus on domain management, it's one of my personal favorites(for among other things how it handles Racial Classes, the class creation system it introduces in it's first supplement, and for having the best implementation of the Cleave concept I've ever seen), but one of the people involved has some connections with The Escapist, so there might be some minor morality issues involved in buying it(although it has been in Bundle of Holding offers in the past, so that's one way to legally obtain it without directly supporting them)

Alexander Macris is a gamergater that's currently CEO of Milo Yiannopoulos' company, which are both way worse than the time he used his position at a gaming magazine to promote his OSR game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

if you're ever curious as to why you shouldn't support alexander macris take a little trip down to his twitter page

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuns with Guns posted:

Alexander Macris is a gamergater... ...he used his position at a gaming magazine to promote his OSR game.
Oh come on they're not even trying anymore

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I want to second WhiteHack which I think doesn't get the love it deserves because of the no PDF thing, I know that is why I avoided it for awhile. It's much more loosely based on D&D then most of the other systems but it's quick to convert monsters and adventures still. There are three classes Wise, Deft, and Strong but they are all flexible enough for you to make pretty much any classic D&D concept or even something more out there. It has some neat little subsystems built in and as mentioned is very short. There is almost always a coupon code on lulu so you can pick it up fairly cheaply.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Nuns with Guns posted:

Alexander Macris ... used his position at a gaming magazine to promote his OSR game.

It's about ethics in game journalism.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Everyone involved on culture war crap is in it to sell their poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yep, that's why Milo and McInnes wouldn't go so far as to endorse Spencer

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

AlphaDog posted:

I'm trying to think of a D&D-ish system I could swear I read 8-12 years ago but I can't think of exactly what it is. A lot of poo poo from around that time is kinda hazy in my mind because I was very unwell.

The thing that stick out in my memory is that skills (and attacks? and spells?) worked "like saving throws", in that the default result of a check was "you succeed / are ok / pass / hit" and you would only roll to see if you overcame any obstacles or barriers. If there were no obstacles or barriers, you didn't roll, you just succeeded. It used a d20 for this, but also used other dice. Each skill had a list of what "an obstacle/barrier/whatever" might be, so you'd know that unless those things applied, the fact that you had trained, say, "climbing" meant you could automatically climb. I'm pretty sure the text made a really big deal out of this.

I know that's vague as hell, but can anyone help me out with an idea about what I'm thinking of? It's entirely possible that I'm conflating two or three different things or that I dreamed the whole thing up.

Isn't this Dungeon World? I've not played any PbtA games but my understanding is that this is their central mechanic.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sounds more like Shadow of the Demon Lord (you don't have skills like climbing in Dungeon World, you just Defy Danger or whatever) but that game's a lot newer than a decade old. It has the thing where skills and backgrounds mean you don't roll though.

You might be mentally combining a couple games?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: For your weekend reading pleasure, a new blogpost for The Next Project is up.

Topic of discussion is Roles: progress is being made to streamline some of the subtype options, including ironing out roles for the 6 classes that use them, making it into a unified framework.

I'm planning to do my usual 3 posts this month, and then one in December, before taking a break for about a month.
My hope is that during that time, I can push out the next draft of the rules, incorporating all the projected changes that are being outlined in the blog.

If you're interested in joining the TNP discussion, join the Discord here! :)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pope Guilty posted:

This was literally a joke John Tynes and Greg Costikyan were making like twenty years ago to get people to rethink dungeon crawling as a core RPG activity, christ.

e: Although in their case it was phrased as "you should think about what dungeons are the fantasy equivalent of" rather than "you know what would be cool?"

On a scale of 1 to Costikyan, that’s an extremely Cositkyan joke.

So what are the best/most interesting retroclones anyways? I've been wanting to give some a whirl but there are a huge number to choose from.

My go to for one shots is Into the Odd. Character creation takes two minutes, classless roll under stat system, and no rolls to hit. I also like the Enlightenment mindset vs Surrealist reality setting conceit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

they're... getting more and more abstract...?

Yeah that's the first internet thing where I'm familiar with all the elements and still don't understand it at all.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
loss.jpg edits are just getting weirder and weirder

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

At least try to google!!!! http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/millimeters-of-bone

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I googled "just a few millimetres of mud", but didn't get anything relevant.

Per your article, though,

quote:

The post (shown below) received more than 20 retweets and 40 likes in 14 months.

so it wasn't exactly taking over the world's consciousness.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kai Tave posted:

Red Tide is a game specifically designed to be played with one player and one GM

Slight correction here, Red Tide is a setting book and also a guide to making your own sandbox setting. As already mentioned, Scarlet Heroes, which is nominally set in the Red Tide setting, is the system for playing one-on-one games.

I can recommend Godbound because it's a fun comparative project in Kickstarter handling vs the actual Ex3 product. Godbound is, as mentioned, OSR Exalted But Not poo poo / Actually Good. It's also free to download. The nice thing is that the powers system it uses is theoretically portable over other light systems you like without too much conversion necessary (just the equivalent of damage dice, and whatever the equivalent of 'the best armor value' is) so while in the book it's layered on top of a basic DnDish system you can apply it onto what you want.
Crawford also outright states that there's no way any demigod is going to stick to whatever plot you have as a GM, and so it has plenty of advice and tables and suggestions for playing a sandbox game and coming up with quick plots on the fly.
The free version includes everything you need for the game. The Deluxe version mostly includes the stuff that's 'Exalted-ish' in case you're doing a full or tonal conversion - Godwalkers (mecha), Strifes (martial arts), and 'Themed Godbound' (aka different types of Exalted).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Honestly having run Godbound I'm mystified as to why goons seem to thing it's good at all, much less why they say it's '3xalted but not poo poo'. OSR style d20 is a terrible system for the style of game, the powers are badly balanced against on another, the combat is utterly uninteresting. The best thing it has going for it is the factions/minions system. Outside of the general subject, it's an entirely different experience from 3xalted, and honestly isn't a particularly good or interesting one. It's at that very uneasy level of crunchiness where it's too rules heavy to be particularly freeform, but too rules light to do anything interesting.

It's more evidence for my theory of 'goon GMs love low prep systems regardless of actual quality because they're lazy', which is also why so many pbps die in the first couple pages.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would never want to play Godbound and I'm mystified that anybody else would, but it does have a well-written setting and Kevin Crawford pretty much wrote the book on "selling RPGs like a real professional."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the fluff is all pretty good for sure

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The rules are less of a mess than most of the other 'demigod games' like current Scion and Exalted.

It's tonally different from Exalted, but it delivers on the same 'elevator pitch' idea that grabs people - "Fantasy demigods in a falling-apart world that needs saving".

I GMed a couple sessions and I didn't notice powers being too imbalance to cause issues. Like yeah obviously "curse someone's bloodline" in Fertility isn't gonna be as globally applicable as "call lighting down on people" in Storm but there's no inherent restrictions on what people take, and generally speaking the advice the game gives for making powerful NPCs is one that can be given to players too - have at least one power you can use offensively that seems good, one that can be used defensively (by default, one of the automatic AC3 powers, but if they like wearing heavy armor or have a better idea, go nuts) and one generally applicable "cool" power.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Honestly having run Godbound I'm mystified as to why goons seem to thing it's good at all, much less why they say it's '3xalted but not poo poo'. OSR style d20 is a terrible system for the style of game, the powers are badly balanced against on another, the combat is utterly uninteresting. The best thing it has going for it is the factions/minions system. Outside of the general subject, it's an entirely different experience from 3xalted, and honestly isn't a particularly good or interesting one. It's at that very uneasy level of crunchiness where it's too rules heavy to be particularly freeform, but too rules light to do anything interesting.

It's more evidence for my theory of 'goon GMs love low prep systems regardless of actual quality because they're lazy', which is also why so many pbps die in the first couple pages.

As I said before, for me its biggest issue is that it tends to repeat the problems that Exalted 2E had. Combat against equivalent enemies tends to devolve into a question of whose Effort is ground down first. It keeps the idea that you can spend resources on attacks that always hit, but you can also spend resources to block any attack, including those that auto-hit. It's a simple idea on paper but in practice it means that a lot of combat rounds nothing happens except for one side declaring they attack and the other side declaring they block, with the winners being the ones who can keep on defending and retain the most Effort.

Like, here's a sample combat I saw on rpg.net and copy-pasted here:

quote:

All right- here's an extremely simplified white-room combat between three maximum-level Godbound and a duke of Hell. For PCs, we have...

Thor: Might, Sky, and Bow
Ares: Sword, Passion, and Endurance
Ereshkigal: Death, Night, Deception

All are 10th level with 11 points of Effort, +13 to hit, and 55 hit points. Each has about 16 gifts from their Words.

They're going to facepunch the arch-devil Mammon, who counts as an angelic tyrant (p. 147) with the Wealth, Passion, and Endurance words. The GM looks at the fight, sees that Mammon's 50 hit dice are about 20 shy of the "twice the party's total levels plus 10" guideline to make a good fight, but that his six potential attacks per round are plenty for three PCs, and that Endurance word is a monster to get through in a fight. If Mammon didn't have such a great all-around defensive Word to use, the GM would probably have cranked up his hit dice, but he lets it alone for now.

The heroes meet Mammon in a strangely uncomplicated way in the famous and featureless Blanched Chamber of Heaven and commence to fightin'.

Round 1:
The heroes act first, because they're PCs and Mammon has no powers to interfere with that.

Thor activates Sapphire Wings (Commit for duration; 10 Effort left) and leaps into the air to get clear of his comrades and any potential AoE effects. He wreaths his mighty hammer in lightning and hurls at at Mammon in a fit of Divine Wrath (Commit for scene; 9 Effort left). There is no saving throw and Mammon decides not to try to dispel with one of his Words, so it hits for 10d8 damage and ends up doing 12 damage to the arch-devil (38 hit dice left).

Ares just bull-rushes Mammon and stabs him repeatedly with a Sword-flavored Divine Wrath, (Commit for scene, 10 Effort left), rolling 14 damage. Mammon decides that this is more than he asked for, so he uses Endurance to defensively dispel the Divine Wrath. If the GM had bothered writing out specific gifts for him, he might use Defy the Iron, but since NPCs aren't worth tracking that closely as a general rule the GM just calls it an Endurance dispel and marks off one point of Effort for Mammon (Commit for day; 14 Effort left)

Ereshkigal skitters clear of Mammon to mitigate any AoE attacks and goes for a quick kill with Death's Reaping Word gift, since Mammon's hurt. (Commit for day, 10 Effort left). Mammon has bad dice and rolls a 2, forcing him to Commit Effort to autosave or else he'd perish on the spot (13 Effort left)

Now it's Mammon's turn, and Mammon's not stupid. With his first action he vomits molten gold on Ereshkigal for a normal attack, autohitting twice for 2d12 damage. This isn't a gift or miracle, so Ereshkigal can't defensively dispel it, and Ereshkigal hasn't got an Instant defense gifts that apply to molten gold baths. She takes 13 points of damage (42 HP left). Since that worked pretty well, Mammon uses his second action to repeat the process, doing another 13 damage to her. (29 HP left). But Mammon's not enthusiastic about dealing with Thor and Ares again next round, so for his last action he conjures a solid diamond dome over himself to protect himself. (Commit for day; 13 Effort left)

Round 2:
Ares goes first this time around, the party decides, and the mighty divinity uses his action to throw a Falling Meteor Strike at the dome, blowing a 10-foot hole in it. There's no Effort cost for doing so.

Ereshkigal then nukes Mammon with a Divine Wrath, since she didn't use one last round, (Commit Effort for scene; 9 Effort left). Mammon decides not to let himself get dinged up too badly yet, and defensively dispels it with Endurance once more (Commit for day; 12 Effort left).

Thor flies into the dome with his movement action. He can't use Divine Wrath two rounds in a row, so he throws a Boreal Spike at Mammon, fashioning it of the chill Norse winds. (Commit for scene; 8 Effort left). Mammon makes his saving throw and decides not to burn Effort on defensively dispelling, taking 5 points of damage (33 hit dice left).

Mammon's feeling the burn; there are too many heroes on him. Ereshkigal's already hurt, so it's time to finish her off. Three attack sequences of two autohit 1d12 straight damage rolls latter, Ereshkigal goes down. She and the rest of the crew spent their Divine Fury energies on other battles, so she's out for the scene.

Round 3:
Ares and Thor are not happy campers. Both of them hit Mammon with Divine Wraths again (Commit for scene; 7 Effort left for Thor, 9 for Ares). Mammon just lets the blasts and puncturations vanish uselessly into his flabby bulk (Defensive dispelling; 10 Effort left)

Mammon thinks Ares has annoyed him long enough and uses an attack sequence on him. Ares has no intention of getting squashed like Ereshkigal, so he triggers Unbreakable to gain invincibility for one round (Commit for day, 8 Effort left). Mammon's seen this movie before so he checks his tactics table and uses a miracle of Passion to force a cowed Thor to flee or else suffer double damage from Mammon's attacks for the rest of the fight. Thor is having none of that and chooses to continue the fight, but he's now doubly vulnerable to Mammon- who promptly hurls a shard of the broken diamond wall at him, one that would inflict 4d12 autohit damage… but Thor Instantly invokes Lord of That Which Falls (Commit duration; 6 Effort left) and flips the shard right back at Mammon, who has to use an Endurance miracle to keep from getting slaughtered by his own ranged attack (Commit for day; 9 Effort left)

Round 4:
Ares takes his turn and sees what's befallen his heroic ally. He uses Passion to offensively dispel and cleanse his friend of that demonic terror (Commit for day; 7 Effort left). He's not doing any damage, but as long as his Effort holds out he knows Mammon can't touch him.

Thor decides he's had enough of being sassed by the devil, so he fires up Loosening God's Teeth (Commit for day; 5 Effort left) and Bolt of Invincible Skill (Commit for scene; 4 Effort left) and pitches his hammer at Mammon. Mammon can't defensively dispel these powers, because Thor is buffing himself, not debuffing Mammon. He can, however, use an Endurance miracle to soak the hit, and does just that (Commit for day; 8 Effort left).

Mammon sees he's in an Effort race with Ares; he can't kill the Godbound as long as Ares has got Effort left, and the Godbound can't kill him as long as Mammon has Effort left, so the immediate solution is to simplify the board and get rid of Thor. He knows that ranged weapon attacks are useless against Thor, so he flaps up into the air to mash him with his giant fists. He wants to spend all three actions mashing Thor so he doesn't bother to carefully disengage from Ares, who gets a free stab at Mammon that hits for 2 points of damage. Mammon decides to just eat the punishment rather than burn Effort (31 hit dice left). While Thor's hell on wheels for ignoring ranged attacks, his melee defenses are less impressive, and he eats 39 hit points of damage in one round (16 HP left)

Round 5:
Ares could blast Mammon with another Divine Wrath this round, but that would cost him Effort and Mammon would just no-sell it with another Endurance miracle. The solution is obviously to make Mammon burn Effort while Ares doesn't. Ares invokes his Shattering Hand gift (Commit duration; 6 Effort left) and uses his free Contempt of Distance gift to chase up into the air after Mammon, stabbing him for the 4 points of damage as his hit roll is maximized by Shattering Hand. Mammon doesn't want to burn Effort on resisting that. (27 hit dice left)

Thor is in trouble. He's in melee with Mammon and cannot afford to take an autohit by retreating without spending his action disengaging. Fortunately, he has The Clouds Below (Commit duration; 3 Effort left) for a gift, and squid-inks it. A billowing cloud of mist enshrouds the fight as an On Turn action, letting him use his action to disengage and his movement to get out of range.

Mammon's now in a pickle. Ares is within melee range, so he can see him, but Ares is also impossible to hurt until he runs out of Effort. Mammon's Words also don't have any plausible miracles related to supernatural senses or dispelling fogs. While he thinks things over, he uses one of his actions to tear into Ares, who flips Unbreakable for the turn again (Commit for day; 5 Effort left). Then he uses an action to disengage from the stabby god and move away, ducking down behind the remnants of his dome for cover from a Thor he can't see- but who can see him.

Round 6:
Thor keeps his distance, using his movement action to fly up to a vantage where he can get a clean shot at Mammon and potting him with another Divine Wrath (Commit for scene; 2 Effort left). Mammon can't afford to suffer that kind of a hit, and so uses another Endurance miracle (Commit for day; 7 Effort left).

Ares would like to follow Mammon, but the demon's far outside his normal movement rate. Fortunately, the Godbound can Leap the Moon (Commit duration; 4 Effort left) to jump to any point he can see, once again hammering Mammon with a maximized normal attack. Mammon takes it, because he knows he's going to need to save Effort to block the big hits. (23 hit dice left)

Mammon has to take out Thor before the unseen god and Ares potshot him to death. He decides to spend an action flying toward where the Divine Wrath bolt came from, letting Ares hit him again for 4 points of damage (19 hit dice left). The GM decides another action is required to search the mist until he can find the frustrating storm god. Then Mammon gets his revenge, tearing into Thor with his remaining action's attacks and dropping the thunder god at last.

Round 7:
It's just Ares and Mammon left now, and Ares is trusting in his normal attacks to bleed the arch-devil's Effort. A leap takes him next to the arch-devil and he smacks the evildoer again for 4 points of damage (15 hit dice left).

Mammon curses the fact that he's trapped in the White Room and can neither call for help nor flee this uncomfortably even fight. He can't even conjure barriers without knowing Ares can burst through them. An action's clawing forces Ares to go Unbreakable again (Commit for day; 3 Effort left), but that leaves him with two actions left that can't be used to hurt Ares. Fortunately, while Mammon is trapped in the White Room, the heroes are too, and so he uses his second action to disengage from Ares, and his third to snatch up Thor's unconscious form. "Let's make a deal…."

Round 8+
At this point, Ares is likely going to be cutting some deals to prevent Thor and Ereshkigal from getting coup de graced. If the fight had played out to the end, it'd have been fairly even odds for both- one hot round of attacks from Mammon can do a tremendous amount of damage as soon as Ares runs out of Effort, but Ares has more hit points left and can take a couple rounds of Mammon's clawing before he goes down.

If Mammon hadn't had such a great defensive Word to no-sell Divine Wrath attacks, he'd have been in deep trouble from the start, and would've required substantial support from allies to split the PCs' attention. Of course, if he'd had other Words, he might've had ones to negate Divine Wraths in other ways. While great for producing gold and clouding men's minds, Wealth and Passion are not terribly combat-focused Words.

Ereshkigal goes down almost immediately because she didn't take the right Gifts, and I could summarize the entire fight as Mammon vs. Ares and his two wacky sidekicks.

And I mean, yes, people could argue that this was a white-room scenario but that was also the excuse people kept on giving for Exalted 2E. :colbert:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bedlamdan posted:

Ereshkigal goes down almost immediately because she didn't take the right Gifts, and I could summarize the entire fight as Mammon vs. Ares and his two wacky sidekicks.

And I mean, yes, people could argue that this was a white-room scenario but that was also the excuse people kept on giving for Exalted 2E. :colbert:

It's also a fight between three max-level Godbound and one max-level 'appropriate' enemy where only one of the Godbound is as built for battle as the enemy. It's not a great scenario but it's also, even not in a white-room, not a common scenario unless you're starting a campaign at that high a level against that high a threat.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

bewilderment posted:

It's also a fight between three max-level Godbound and one max-level 'appropriate' enemy where only one of the Godbound is as built for battle as the enemy. It's not a great scenario but it's also, even not in a white-room, not a common scenario unless you're starting a campaign at that high a level against that high a threat.

I understand that, but looking at the rules themselves, there doesn't seem any reason not to take a Word like Endurance and a Gift that fiats away mental attacks, and then tank away any conceivable threat to your person as long as Effort is retained. Which is a problem that homebrewers spent forever grappling with re: Exalted.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bedlamdan posted:

I understand that, but looking at the rules themselves, there doesn't seem any reason not to take a Word like Endurance and a Gift that fiats away mental attacks, and then tank away any conceivable threat to your person as long as Effort is retained. Which is a problem that homebrewers spent forever grappling with re: Exalted.

As you level up in the game, maybe.

But starting out... a guy I had was playing a 'Pirate Merchant Prince' sort of guy and he was just more interested in having the Word of Wealth and taking the Sustain the Multitude gift so that he was welcomed wherever he went to be a travelling 'wealth party'.
And then he also took the Sea word with Body Of Water as a defence and, completing the ocean bit, the Sky word to call winds and lightning.

Basically what I'm getting at is:
Godbound isn't any better balanced than Exalted, despite its lower crunch. However, it makes the Good poo poo more obvious, and easier to weigh the costs and negatives up against "I want to be the owner of the party boat".

You can take the Endurance word if you want to be Mr Invincible, but when you want a cult to worship you it's also nice to be able to stroll into town with the Health word and go "Yo, Ender of Plagues here, I can cure the sick."
Which is actually what happened when I first ran it - as a test run I literally ran a converted version of the absolutely lovely 3.5e 1st-level adventure 'The Burning Plague'.
Party rolled into town, saw the plague, and one guy said "Hey can I just... cure this as a Miracle of Health?"
"I suppose you can! You can tell the people will get re-infected over time, though - seems like something underground is contaminating their water."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

bewilderment posted:

As you level up in the game, maybe.

But starting out... a guy I had was playing a 'Pirate Merchant Prince' sort of guy and he was just more interested in having the Word of Wealth and taking the Sustain the Multitude gift so that he was welcomed wherever he went to be a travelling 'wealth party'.
And then he also took the Sea word with Body Of Water as a defence and, completing the ocean bit, the Sky word to call winds and lightning.

Basically what I'm getting at is:
Godbound isn't any better balanced than Exalted, despite its lower crunch. However, it makes the Good poo poo more obvious, and easier to weigh the costs and negatives up against "I want to be the owner of the party boat".

You can take the Endurance word if you want to be Mr Invincible, but when you want a cult to worship you it's also nice to be able to stroll into town with the Health word and go "Yo, Ender of Plagues here, I can cure the sick."
Which is actually what happened when I first ran it - as a test run I literally ran a converted version of the absolutely lovely 3.5e 1st-level adventure 'The Burning Plague'.
Party rolled into town, saw the plague, and one guy said "Hey can I just... cure this as a Miracle of Health?"
"I suppose you can! You can tell the people will get re-infected over time, though - seems like something underground is contaminating their water."

Jordan Procosh, did you change your username? Because that is literally what SA user Jordan Procoshk played in my Godbound game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think Godbound gets a lot more good press because of its comparison as an Exalted alternative.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Godbound gets a lot more good press because of its comparison as an Exalted alternative.

Yep!

Godbound is not balanced. It likes to use high concepts and doesn't always translate those concepts to mechanics. But it is better then Exalted in just about every way! And the byline for Exalted has always been "So, what's an actually good system to run this setting/idea in?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like the only system I can think of off the top of my head that'd work well for Exalted-style stuff is Fate, because you need something with a flexibility that allows you to be the Incarnate of Whatever and do things that make sense for being the Incarnate of Whatever, but without the need to sit down and stat up every individual power. You need something loose but with a mechanical backbone you can hang things off of.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yep!

Godbound is not balanced. It likes to use high concepts and doesn't always translate those concepts to mechanics. But it is better then Exalted in just about every way! And the byline for Exalted has always been "So, what's an actually good system to run this setting/idea in?"

It's funny that Bruce Cordell's Cypher-based Gods of the Fall basically made zero splash in this subgenre.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel like the only system I can think of off the top of my head that'd work well for Exalted-style stuff is Fate, because you need something with a flexibility that allows you to be the Incarnate of Whatever and do things that make sense for being the Incarnate of Whatever, but without the need to sit down and stat up every individual power. You need something loose but with a mechanical backbone you can hang things off of.

Nobilis is the game about doing this. On the flipside, Nobilis 2e (and 1e, which it expanded on) was not attainable legally for a good while, and Nobilis 3e has better rules but is much uglier visually and is missing things like an example of play or sample characters. Better rules, much worse book.

It also might be too high-powered for what people want.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's funny that Bruce Cordell's Cypher-based Gods of the Fall basically made zero splash in this subgenre.

Cypher system itself is not looked upon fondly everywhere, and also, Gods of the Fall ain't free like Godbound is. If Godbound was just another $20 PDF being sold it wouldn't get as much talk. And the fact that it's free and yet has decent art and is laid out well is a bonus.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Cypher engine is Bad.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

bewilderment posted:

I'll admit that Godbound is at least less extreme with its flaws compared Exalted 2E. At the very least, it doesn't take as much time to grind down Effort as it does with a person's Motes. That's still an extremely low bar to clear, and can still create situations where for multiple turns of combat, nothing of substance might actually happen.

Exalted 3E took a different approach, funnily enough by scaling things back. You can't fiat away an attack, and perfect effects aren't really perfect. If you want to dodge an attack without fail, you can, but if you want to use that ability again you still have to dodge a few other attacks fair and square. If you want to parry away a blow without worrying if it hits you, you can, but you're also diminishing your Initiative which means you won't be able to hit as hard, or pull off as many tricks, and you'll be more vulnerable to future attacks.

3E is a higher crunch game than Godbound, no question, but I think it's better balanced than either game or at least doesn't retain the issues that frustrate me. For any of those three games, it's fun to trample over an obstacle trivially as part of a power fantasy, no question. The issues arise when you want to introduce something on par, or even beyond a single player as an obstacle or an antagonist that you get problems, and if nothing else I think Exalted 3E anticipated and addressed those problems better. If I wanted to get into a fight with a rival Godbound, I don't want it to be resolved by either slow attrition or by spamming against whatever might have been deficient in their defenses. It's not really dramatic, it's just too binary. From what I've seen of the fights in the game you'll either blow an encounter away without ever needing to roll for it in the first place, or you're in for a bad time with not that much room for anything in between.

If I were playing as Ereshkigal or Thor in that combat example earlier, I'd be walking away pretty unhappy.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Exalted accidentally recreated the situation in fights where evenly matched people would grind on each other until someone gets a key edge and IT'S OVER, KAKAROTT! The problem is that all this fiddling bullshit meant that there was no fast pace, while if the combat was basically rolling craps at each other and taking chips out of a pile, it would have gone much faster.

• Locked thread