Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
what's up with that basilisk show for next season, is it a remake of the other one or a new story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
next season has a ridiculous amount of appealing shows and it would just be cumbersome for me to list them all. real excited for mitsuboshi and fate extra and takagi-san and other stuff I’ve missed

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Before I get my hopes up, Fate/Extra is going with Male Hakuno?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the promo materials had male hakuno but people are saying they might both be in it???

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
both hakunos show up in the anime PVs. just male hakuno has been 'confirmed' and attached to a seiyuu. only Nero has been shown of the three 'playable' servants iirc, and they've had character promos for 3 enemy servants.

if female hakuno shows up as a distinct char it's quite possible they're following the storyline of Extella/Zero, a retelling of Extra that's supposed to be the version leading into Extella, but it could be otherwise.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Does all the Fate stuff thats been coming out actually expand /Zero or /Stay Night, or is it a case of milking the franchise dry with arbitrary additions?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apocrypha probably the latter, the films are /SN stuff straight up, and Extra is a separate line with at least one pretty cool-sounding game to its name.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

Does all the Fate stuff thats been coming out actually expand /Zero or /Stay Night, or is it a case of milking the franchise dry with arbitrary additions?

heaven's feel is the final arc of f/sn and imo better than ubw, apocrypha is a mediocre spin-off, extra is an alternate timeline thing that i've heard is an average game with a really good untranslated sequel

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The world of the Fate spinoff stuff (except Apocrypha) is incredibly bizarre. Like the Moon is a giant ancient magic computer that has copies of everything that has ever happened in it, and everything takes place in there. What connection does this have to FSN? Absolutely none.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's what happens when you try to connect all of your work to 'poo poo you wrote as a teenager'.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

I still can't believe this is a thing and that it's being co-produced by [adult swim]* of all people. That there's already a "3" in the works as well is also crazy
I am cautiously optimistic that it'll have the same appeal, and I strangely want it to be only ~6 episodes or so.

This will definitely be an interesting experience to say the least

*I guess AS has a history of supporting anime since they did get The Big O to finally finish
The fact that there's already a 3 in the works is deeply problematic, and they should let good things rest imo

Erg posted:

id actually appreciate it if the title for the next thread is a list of shows not to watch TIA
I'll watch them shows

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing about Fate is that the central conceit of "Wizards summon mythological heroes for a 7 way deathmatch" is fuckin' awesome and flexible enough that it can be applied into a bunch of different contexts, so I don't mind different works putting their own spin on it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fate/extra is probably good because my understanding it doesn't change romantic relationships depending on player gender so the sequel has an entire route that's gilgamesh bending the laws of reality so he can have sex with his boyfriend, who is you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

fate/extra is probably good because my understanding it doesn't change romantic relationships depending on player gender so the sequel has an entire route that's gilgamesh bending the laws of reality so he can have sex with his boyfriend, who is you

IIRC, there’s a bunch of unique dialogue involving Tamamo wrapping her brain around a woman being her ‘husband’.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Extella is about at least 3 women who are extremely dtf and don't care whether the player is a man or woman, and maybe there is also a Lavos or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

https://twitter.com/claystorks/status/928771887278239745

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

chumbler posted:

Extella is about at least 3 women who are extremely dtf and don't care whether the player is a man or woman, and maybe there is also a Lavos or something.

One of these women is very large and also Atilla the Hun.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Motto posted:

Apocrypha probably the latter, the films are /SN stuff straight up, and Extra is a separate line with at least one pretty cool-sounding game to its name.

Apocrypha at least expands a little on the Third War.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

apocrypha has like one good character and then a handful of other people who really should be the story focus instead of the blandest people imaginable jeanne d'arc and sieg

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Gilgamesh's prophetic dream about Enkidu involved him loving the rock that represented Enkidu

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's my hot take: Fate is bad because Enkidu is an androgynous bishounen instead of a big burly bear man

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Space Flower posted:

both hakunos show up in the anime PVs. just male hakuno has been 'confirmed' and attached to a seiyuu. only Nero has been shown of the three 'playable' servants iirc, and they've had character promos for 3 enemy servants.

if female hakuno shows up as a distinct char it's quite possible they're following the storyline of Extella/Zero, a retelling of Extra that's supposed to be the version leading into Extella, but it could be otherwise.

dogsicle posted:

apocrypha has like one good character and then a handful of other people who really should be the story focus instead of the blandest people imaginable jeanne d'arc and sieg

But Sisigo and Mordred aren't one person...

Namtab posted:

The fact that there's already a 3 in the works is deeply problematic, and they should let good things rest imo
I definitely understand that but I enjoyed the *conclusion* to Big O(Even though AS probably only funded, but did not have any/much impact on creative decisions for the series)
Since the new cast looks like pretty high schoolers, I wonder if we'll get to see Naota and Ninamori grown up(they should be in their late 20s, early 30s by now right?)

The Colonel posted:

the promo materials had male hakuno but people are saying they might both be in it???

Hmm...that sounds like GBF, where it was Gran for all of the series except for an "Alternate Universe" where Djeeta was the lead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If the sequel to Blade Runner can be one of my favorite films of the year, I'm willing to at least give FLCL 2 a fair shake.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flcl 2 and 3 have good staff that i'll probably wish worked on something original instead of a sequel to flcl

but i'm the hosed up person who wasn't that into diebuster

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Die, Buster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Gilgamesh's prophetic dream about Enkidu involved him loving the rock that represented Enkidu

Wasn’t it an axe?

I mean, yeah, it’s got a flared base, but yeesh, son.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Here's my hot take: Fate is bad because Enkidu is an androgynous bishounen instead of a big burly bear man big green gargoyle jobber
I considered the original FLCL to have about as final an ending as you can get without wiping out the entire cast, but gently caress it, why not? 2017's been a strange year.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Julias posted:

Die, Buster.
Gun, Buster

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

😱

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

It actually does change dialogue based on gender it just doesn't change their willingness to gently caress you

Nero is more into girls and tamamo is more into guys but they're flexible. Emiya is volcel.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

any shows currently worth checking out that are drama/supernatural or thriller? genre doesn't really matter that much, if the writing is good. and it's not about a school. Currently I'm watching Juuni Taisen and Inuyashiki, and I'd watch season 2 of Kabaneri of the black (?) fortress, if there was such a thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also fate/extra ccc is the funniest and most heartwarming game I've ever played

It has a scene where Gilgamesh scares off a recurring villain by showing her his dick

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

mike12345 posted:

any shows currently worth checking out that are drama/supernatural or thriller? genre doesn't really matter that much, if the writing is good. and it's not about a school. Currently I'm watching Juuni Taisen and Inuyashiki, and I'd watch season 2 of Kabaneri of the black (?) fortress, if there was such a thing.

Ancient Magus Bride is going to hit the drama/supernatural angle for you. It's about a girl that's had a really lovely life slowly recovering and seeing that she's worth something and the backdrop for that journey is her learning to become a mage. It's got almost zero fights or anything like that if that's a requirement for you though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mike12345 posted:

There’s always Blood Blockade Battlefront, if you don’t mind something a little more light-hearted, and while I’ve fallen behind on Garo: Vanishing Line, what I watched was charmingly trashy fun. AMB is a must-watch for supernatural drama, and Land of the Lustrous has been pretty good, too, though it’s slower and more laid-back than most of the others on the list.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

flcl 2 and 3 have good staff that i'll probably wish worked on something original instead of a sequel to flcl

but i'm the hosed up person who wasn't that into diebuster

Yeah Gunbuster is better

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Welcome to the Ballroom finally did an episode that wasn't Tatara having trouble on the dance floor while someone watched with a gleam in their eye and thought "he's on the cusp of something terrifying!"

And it was good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Also fate/extra ccc is the funniest and most heartwarming game I've ever played

It has a scene where Gilgamesh scares off a recurring villain by showing her his dick

I didn't realize Gilgamesh was a Hollywood producer too

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Garo is good and fun but the action parts are kinda bad

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Garo is good and fun but the action parts are kinda bad

the first series was like this too, where the show kinda dragged during the first cour and then became absolutely amazing both in terms of action and story/characters in the second. the difference being vanishing line already has a stronger base set of characters (except luke) so i'm confident they can eventually bring the action up to par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

Emiya is volcel.

This is unacceptable

• Locked thread