Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
"stepless ear oetiker clamp" You can get those on amazon actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I googled it and now I finally know what that weird pincer looking set of pliers in my dad's toolbox is really for. Neat.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Is there an in-helmet microphone that I can buy and plug into my phone? I don't want to buy a radio, I already own a phone, I just need a headset in my helmet for communication.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RadioPassive posted:

Is there an in-helmet microphone that I can buy and plug into my phone? I don't want to buy a radio, I already own a phone, I just need a headset in my helmet for communication.

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-A...L70_&dpSrc=srch
dont expect it to be very good though

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have recommendations for road duty tires that come in a 120/70/19 front? The factory Anakee 3s on the GS are near dead and I'm not planning to put another set of them on; the front howls like a loving banshee. This bike is going to be pulling a sidecar and will not see anything rougher than a gravel driveway or groomed fire road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Conti trail attack is pretty good on big ADV bikes and comes in that size.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Road attacks come in those sizes too.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So say I want to hook up several things to my battery. Phone charger, heated gear crap, etc. is there like an accessory terminal I could get? There’s only so many leads I can fit on the battery posts and I assume that’s bad form anyway. I don’t know poo poo about bike accessories, this is the first time I’ve wanted to hook up more than one 🤔

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
There’s an adapter that turns a trickle charger plug into a dual (or more) USB port.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Get something like this [url]Fastronix 6 Circuit LED Fuse Block and Cover Kit with ATO/ATC Fuses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZVTF3R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_z3WaAbSJKF931[/url] and pair it with something like [url]Fastronix Black Single Stud Ground Junction Block 1/4" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015EJR20C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_U9WaAb98RGGYN[/url] fit them somewhere near the battery, and make sure the wire you run from the battery to each is suitably rated for the total current draw of all your accessories. This will look a lot nicer than a poo poo-ton of individual leads with in-line fuses flying around everywhere and 6 ring terminals smashed under the hold- down screw for the battery.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Awesome, thanks, exactly what I need. I already have the multiple usb thing, I needed something for multiple non-usb things.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I need new sumo tires for my WR250. Recs?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

M42 posted:

Awesome, thanks, exactly what I need. I already have the multiple usb thing, I needed something for multiple non-usb things.

There are motorcycle-specific versions of what Elviscat posted (Fuzeblock FZ-1, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Rowe Electronics PDM60, etc.) but they will all cost $100 or more. Some of them have more advanced features like programming delayed shutoff via USB but most of them will just look prettier or keep your wiring neat.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I've got a crazy notion befitting a post here.

My motorcycle is a single-cylinder bike. Because of this, the chain has worn unevenly.

The chain wears unevenly, because the areas of wear are synchronized with the power pulses in the piston movement cycle, when that area of the chain passes over the output sprocket connected to the gearbox.

Could I get even chain wear...

...if I were to advance the chain on the output sprocket by 1/4th of the chain's length???

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d say that’s nearly impossible unless you only ride in one gear and never use the clutch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even then, that would only be the case if the total drive ratio was a nice round value. If in third gear your engine turns 1.232 times (or whatever) per revolution of the rear wheel, you'll precess the chain around and even out the wear.

It is sort of a thing that can happen if you're a moron hipster riding a fixed-gear bicycle with no brakes, where you brake by resisting the pedal motion with your legs and skidding the rear wheel. The pedals will always be in the same position when braking, so if your drive ratio is e.g. 12/48 then you'll always have the wheel in one of four possible positions when skidding, which will wear out your tires in those spots.

Obviously this is really loving stupid so don't ride a bike like that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 11, 2017

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Just when I thought I could get a handle on my life...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It could be that the only thing wrong in your life is your ability to assess evenness of chain wear.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I don't know, maaan... Ooh, I'm out of Benjamins. What am I gonna light up my blunt with?? This sucks! Everything sucks.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
So I removed my gas-tank to give it a re-paint and I'm wondering if there's a way to remove and replace these little rubber cushions (not sure about the technical name) without totally destroying them.

They pass down through to the other side.

Like this:

At this point I'm considering just masking them, but that doesn't feel totally right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Take them out the same way they got in there in the first place -- twisting and pulling and squeezing. It helps to use some kind of lubricant (soapy water is fine) and heat it up with a heat-gun.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah you just twist and pull them out, it's usually possible without tools but measured use of a screwdriver doesn't hurt. If they're cracked enough to tear when you take them out then they were hosed anyway.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Ahh neat. They're not dry/cracked. I'll just use more force + lube.

I was just sort of worried about tearing them. It's a drat tight fit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Push one corner through and then use pliers to pull it through once you can grab most of it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

The RECAPITATOR posted:

these little rubber cushions (not sure about the technical name)

Grommet?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FYI you can print those with Ninjaflex if you have a 3D printer. I replaced all the dried-out cowling mounts on my bike for like 2 bucks' worth of material.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Ahh neat. They're not dry/cracked. I'll just use more force + lube.

I was just sort of worried about tearing them. It's a drat tight fit.

Heat them up with a heat gun (carefully) if you have one, or a hairdryer.

Edit: oh, sagebrush said that already. Do that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The RECAPITATOR posted:

So I removed my gas-tank to give it a re-paint and I'm wondering if there's a way to remove and replace these little rubber cushions (not sure about the technical name) without totally destroying them.

They're called grommets and they're cheap.

Jazzzzz posted:

Grommet?

Yeah.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
If it's a cold day give them a quick blast with a hair dryer on medium to soften them up a bit, it'll make them easier to move and less likely to crack if they're marginal. Ditto when you go to refit them.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rubbing some silicone spray into them while you have them off of the tank will help keep them from drying out/getting brittle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why is my DR 350 clutch slipping?

Its pretty minor, and really only shows up under moderately hard acceleration and in every gear. I can bump or tow start it, so its not crazy bad. The springs and plates are pretty new, only a few hundred miles old. Oil is Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle specific. The cable is fine as far as I can tell, a little loose if anything. Actuator and splined gear are lined up right. 

Should I try a different oil before I start fiddling with stuff? Then on to throwout bearing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did you soak the plates before putting them in?

I've seen the exact same thing like three times when someone put in new plates x miles ago without soaking them and they always came out nearly dry, you'd be surprised how little oil actually makes it in there.

Other possibility: often there is one plate fatter than the rest and it has to go in a particular place, make sure that's all matching the parts diagrams.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, they soaked in the new oil for a couple hours I think. I don't remember one being a different size. I spent some time playing with them during reassembly and feel like that would have stood out. Its not mentioned in any of the threads I read or in the FSM.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How many more links will I need on the chain when going from 41 to 49 links on the rear sprocket?

4?

What I can find on the internets is normal chain lenght usually can be adjusted to fit +2 teeth. For bigger adjustments what I can find is 1 extra link pr 2 teeth.

I have some extra links of the same size/make that I can drop in, and I have some spare rivet master links. (currently using clip)

Edit; it's 520 chain on a 25hp bike, 2 masterlinks to splice it should not be an issue.

I'm messing around with the whole studded tires on my nx 250 project. That means 17" rim in the rear, up from 16". The stock 41 tooth sprocket would make 5th and 6th gear unusable, as 6th is already only useable only in flat areas.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 13, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
uhhh on the drz for my offroad set of wheels (18" rear, 47T-- 41T stock) i only had to increase 3 links from stock, so 113

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Supradog posted:

How many more links will I need on the chain when going from 41 to 49 links on the rear sprocket?

4?

What I can find on the internets is normal chain lenght usually can be adjusted to fit +2 teeth. For bigger adjustments what I can find is 1 extra link pr 2 teeth.

I have some extra links of the same size/make that I can drop in, and I have some spare rivet master links. (currently using clip)

Edit; it's 520 chain on a 25hp bike, 2 masterlinks to splice it should not be an issue.

I'm messing around with the whole studded tires on my nx 250 project. That means 17" rim in the rear, up from 16". The stock 41 tooth sprocket would make 5th and 6th gear unusable, as 6th is already only useable only in flat areas.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is there any difference in bolt pattern for a YZ250/450, two or four stroke?

Edit: sprocket, hey wake up me.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 14, 2017

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Thanks, it verified what I thought, +4 or +5 links both works. Also stock gearing with 17" rear is not that big a change. But it lacks grump in 5th and 6th gear already so I'll change it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Supradog posted:

Thanks, it verified what I thought, +4 or +5 links both works. Also stock gearing with 17" rear is not that big a change. But it lacks grump in 5th and 6th gear already so I'll change it.

Good luck to you going up +5.

I made the same mistake on gearingcommander my first time, too, and got roundly laughed at. Because of the way chains are designed, you can only get chains in even numbers of links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Ah yeah. ofc, didn't think of that.

I found this madness though.