Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Arc Light posted:

Should it have an inspired take on WW2?

I absolutely loved the first COD, because it didn't make you some badass action hero on a slick adventure full of QTEs, with a deeply personal motive for fighting. You were just a British/Russian/American conscript, playing a tiny role in a world-spanning conflict. It wasn't an overwrought morality play. For the most part, the missions were based on real battles, in real places.

That's not to hate on Wolfenstein - I loved The New Order, and Wolf 2 is almost as good. But in a game like COD, I'd much rather play a soldier than a super soldier.

Caveat that I haven’t played it but my understanding is that new cod sp takes you through campaigns you’ve seen a million times by now ie normandy, battle of the bulge. I think that’s what they mean by uninspired take on ww2. I guess the fact that you don’t play as 101st or 82nd is a big departure from the standard but still they could switch it up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Should it have an inspired take on WW2?

I absolutely loved the first COD, because it didn't make you some badass action hero on a slick adventure full of QTEs, with a deeply personal motive for fighting. You were just a British/Russian/American conscript, playing a tiny role in a world-spanning conflict. It wasn't an overwrought morality play. For the most part, the missions were based on real battles, in real places.

That's not to hate on Wolfenstein - I loved The New Order, and Wolf 2 is almost as good. But in a game like COD, I'd much rather play a soldier than a super soldier.

Yes. There’s plenty of “real” WW2 to cover aside from yet another rehash of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 8, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Caveat that I haven’t played it but my understanding is that new cod sp takes you through campaigns you’ve seen a million times by now ie normandy, battle of the bulge. I think that’s what they mean by uninspired take on ww2. I guess the fact that you don’t play as 101st or 82nd is a big departure from the standard but still they could switch it up more.

From the videos I've seen, not only is it more or less identical on the surface to dozens of other WW2 games, but it's executed really poorly—hackneyed dialogue that avoids plagiarism only by being terrible, quick time events, generic linear levels.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I haven’t played a cod since mw2 and I have no plans to change that and I haven’t played a ww2 shooter in years and I don’t play to change that unless they gimme a dope sp campaign like let us play as a nisei in the 442nd or in the 761st Black panther battalion.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mw3 was fun enough

mp was poo poo though

nothing beat the knife nuke build in mw2 though

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Yes. There’s plenty of “real” WW2 to cover aside from yet another rehash of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

A game where you play as the Imperial Japanese Army, featuring a qte where you grow bamboo in a dude's rear end and the 'collectibles' are Chinese babies that you bayonet in hidden corners of each map.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Thalia Hall gets crowd size right. Every show I’ve attended never gets crowded. It’s kind of surreal

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Slim Pickens posted:

A game where you play as the Imperial Japanese Army, featuring a qte where you grow bamboo in a dude's rear end and the 'collectibles' are Chinese babies that you bayonet in hidden corners of each map.

It wouldn't be COD without a war crime scene you can participate in. Gotta keep clickbait writers in business.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm still waiting for The Onion's version of CoD

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm still waiting for The Onion's version of CoD

I got ya:

https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/926695862658412544

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

aight who got an xbox one x?

I would maybe do $300, but drat $500?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Specs wise its ~1/3 more powerful than a PS4 Pro, dunno if devs will ever bother to take advantage of that extra power other than perhaps trying to get more than 30fps at "4k"?

*as far as I know not even the XboxoneX still has to drop the render resolution sometimes in order to hit 30fps performance targets for 4k, because no way in gently caress are you getting solid 30fps 4k for 500 bucks. There are PC graphics cards that sell for more than 500 bucks that don't hit 3840x2160@30fps all the time.

E: ahahaha I didn't know there was a marketing buzzword for what consoles do to hit 3840x2160, apparently it's called "dynamic 4K resolution", where what you're seeing on the screen is indeed 3840x2160, but who the gently caress knows what kind of internal render quality and framerate target the developers of the game decided on.

If you're curious what the graphical quality difference between PS4 Pro and XboxoneXxX is, here's a really good set of comparison pics for Diablo 3. In order to see a difference when both consoles are targeting framerate over quality you have to reeealy look.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-diablo-3-ultra-hd-xbox-one-x-ps4-pro-dynamic-res-showdown

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/10/28/when-dynamic-resolution-scaling-makes-a-difference-for-4k-games/

Forbes also did a piece basically panning 4k gaming on TVs as basically, not worth it based on where people generally sit in their living rooms relative to their TV. 4k PC monitors are almost all universally 30+ inch affairs, at a distance of ~2 feet from your face, a 60 inch 4k TV is gonna have a massive loss of quality at 10-12 feet compared to 30 inch monitor at 2 feet.

Basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhF_56SxrGk

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 9, 2017

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Idk If any of you play mobas but the new preseason patch for league dropped and it’s pretty crazy.

Shockules
May 2, 2017
I've been trying to get back into league and was sorta waiting for this patch. Looking to get my rear end kicked once I get some free time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

League of Legends? God I sunk so much time into Dota 1, HON, then subsequently LOL. It was fun when you had an organized team but gently caress I'm too old for 45-60 min rounds.

Anyways I got this email for a free Starcraft 2 expansion I guess. I only ever bought the base game when it first came out

quote:

"Play through the epic campaign as the Queen of Blades. Awarded to players who own StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. Redeem before 12/8/2017."

So yeah, check your emails if you care :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I guess I'll have to install their battle.net app to claim it. :effort:

They really pissed me off when that game came out...I preordered it since release was maybe a week into deployment, and I knew my mailing address. It arrived and...even to play the campaign you needed a reliable internet connection to activate it. gently caress you. Not sure I ever actually played it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Er I think just to download but you can “claim” it on the battle.net url? I think I did...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Good call, that worked.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
For the record: I am stupid, but I'm not Mustang, thank you.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Rude.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Sorry, the clarification had to be made.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My b. Assumptions were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miPPQu2iqts

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Battlefront is gonna have pay 2 win loot boxes, more at 11

https://kotaku.com/star-wars-battle...dium=Socialflow

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

lol, who's been evolving your avatar?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Idk If any of you play mobas but the new preseason patch for league dropped and it’s pretty crazy.

How so?

Also, LoL and Dota both ended up "scaring me off", because I never managed to grasp an avenue of advancement that would let me learn how to get better in a timely fashion. Not good, or - god forbid - really good, just better.

I don't feel like slowly failing my way upwards to a mediocrity, and I don't have esports levels of time to invest to go through the ludicrous amounts of videos, vods, guides and whatnot that still don't give you the routine and personal experience you need to not suck at the game. The straw that broke the camel's back really fast was the fact that you'd be able to realize early on in a match that you're hosed based on the teammates that - while more experienced than you - somehow manage to perform painfully worse.

Now you're a new player, you lack the experience to sway the favor in your team's odds, the other team is basically playing with its food, and you know you've got another half hour or so to sit through before the game's over. Have fun.

First time I played Dota was with the group of Eve-dudes that hadn't been playing Eve in forever, and just been shooting the poo poo on comms. iirc, queuing up with five dudes in public matches was pretty okay, but our "best" players always insisted on doing 5v5 in-house matches, because they'd totally be fun, and then it devolved into absolute toxic environments where everyone ended up hating each other, and/or themselves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
still lolin every time someone said it doesn't effect me if they spend their money in a game like this

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Duzzy Funlop posted:

How so?

Also, LoL and Dota both ended up "scaring me off", because I never managed to grasp an avenue of advancement that would let me learn how to get better in a timely fashion. Not good, or - god forbid - really good, just better.

I don't feel like slowly failing my way upwards to a mediocrity, and I don't have esports levels of time to invest to go through the ludicrous amounts of videos, vods, guides and whatnot that still don't give you the routine and personal experience you need to not suck at the game. The straw that broke the camel's back really fast was the fact that you'd be able to realize early on in a match that you're hosed based on the teammates that - while more experienced than you - somehow manage to perform painfully worse.

Now you're a new player, you lack the experience to sway the favor in your team's odds, the other team is basically playing with its food, and you know you've got another half hour or so to sit through before the game's over. Have fun.

First time I played Dota was with the group of Eve-dudes that hadn't been playing Eve in forever, and just been shooting the poo poo on comms. iirc, queuing up with five dudes in public matches was pretty okay, but our "best" players always insisted on doing 5v5 in-house matches, because they'd totally be fun, and then it devolved into absolute toxic environments where everyone ended up hating each other, and/or themselves.

It’s a moba ghetto. Just play ARAM; way more fun for newbie players

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

dont play mobas

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

brand engager posted:

dont play mobas

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like heroes of the storm.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i still call them FARTS

also shooting games are Doom Clones

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Trying hard with a few friends in Pubg squads - almost cracking 2k

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The new Wolfenstein is one hell of a loving game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

hahahaha

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I just got done reading the Battlefront thread in games, it's not looking good at all.

I think the reddit post n4ds just posted is now the MOST DOWNVOTED POST EVER, not that that means much

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
9 hours ago it was about 70K downvotes, right now it is about 280K downvotes.

just lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LOL gently caress EA so hard

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah, gently caress buying that game. I was ready to drop 80 bucks on it tomorrow up until last week. They haven't learned and I don't really have the patience for it anymore.

I'll buy Super Mario Odyssey instead and just play that, Wolfenstein and Overwatch like I have been lately.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I bought Super Mario Odyssey this morning actually. The girlfriend and I played Mario Kart 8 yesterday, and had a good time with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I skipped the first one because it looked like buggy poo poo at launch, and because EA is terrible. Not regretting it.