Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Chapter may not have been amazing but I still liked it. Fight me.

Sanji's about to take down an Emperor with the power of delicious food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
What I'm saying is fanboys shouldn't just suck it up and treat every chapter as gold...no need to treat every chapter as trash either, even if much doesn't happen in a narrative sense, since it's more about enjoying the journey as it goes on...but i didn't think the jokes this chapter landed all that well, and combined with ruining the established tension and not doing much more with the Sanji plotline...yeah....it's gets a D rating at best .

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DizzyBum posted:

Chapter may not have been amazing but I still liked it. Fight me.

No need to. You're allowed to like and enjoy trash.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

To balance out that terrible chapter, have this awesome fanart instead

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Overall I'm still enjoying the things that are going on, but I have to say that I don't like how the gap between Luffy and Big Mom is seeming bigger and bigger as this continues. I was thinking he'd at least be able to defeat Katakuri, but now he had to run away from that fight as well. Whatever powerup Luffy gets next is going to need to be humongous, and I didn't think we'd be getting another one that was as big as the one that required two years of the Strawhats training.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

i feel like this is here to distract from your dumbass little meltdown more than anything

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nah, I want people to talk about the cool thing instead of being pieces of poo poo who gang up on people with nothing to contribute like you :fry:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh Snapple! posted:

i feel like this is here to distract from your dumbass little meltdown more than anything

Perospero Brook is a very good distraction.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The chapter had issues. Or the one obvious issue of the ten minute haki cooldown being pretty unfun.

But it's one meh chapter in an awesome arc, and tone is always a hard thing to gauge online, so going on about how the chapter is poo poo seems kinda over the top and will probably result in dumb arguments.

Honestly, as awesome as the encounter with Katakuri was, I'm fine with seeing Luffy get up to other antics for a bit. The panel where he realized he busted out right in front of Big Mom was pretty cool.

But we do kinda know where things are going now. The rest of this arc's gonna feel different than it has up until now where there was a continuous chain of "how are they gonna get out of this!?" events. People might enjoy this more going forward if they adjust their expectations accordingly.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The only thing this chapter did for me is get me excited to play as Katakuri when they finally make pirate warriors 4

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol one piece is never going to end

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Julias posted:

do you think this started with big mom nami or dogtooth luffy

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

tap my mountain posted:

The only thing this chapter did for me is get me excited to play as Katakuri when they finally make pirate warriors 4

Hell yes. Pirate Warriors 4 is going to be rad.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mycot posted:

Perospero Brook is a very good distraction.

He's fantastic. But Pedro might be my favorite part :allears:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

oddium posted:

do you think this started with big mom nami or dogtooth luffy

Always bet on Luffy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Overall I'm still enjoying the things that are going on, but I have to say that I don't like how the gap between Luffy and Big Mom is seeming bigger and bigger as this continues. I was thinking he'd at least be able to defeat Katakuri, but now he had to run away from that fight as well. Whatever powerup Luffy gets next is going to need to be humongous, and I didn't think we'd be getting another one that was as big as the one that required two years of the Strawhats training.

I don't think Luffy having to run away from Katakuri should be surprising, considering he had help from Nami and a bunch of Homies against Cracker and it still took Luffy 12 hours to win. If Luffy was fighting Katakuri somewhere with a lot of water instead of the Mirror World things might have been different.

Remember that Luffy still doesn't have Awakening yet, and that cars generally have 5 gears. There's still room for more powerups.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This chapter was fine

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Viridiant posted:

Overall I'm still enjoying the things that are going on, but I have to say that I don't like how the gap between Luffy and Big Mom is seeming bigger and bigger as this continues. I was thinking he'd at least be able to defeat Katakuri, but now he had to run away from that fight as well.

The longer this fight goes on the more I think it's not so much that the gap between Luffy and Big Mom is getting bigger as that the gap between Katakuri and Big Mom is getting smaller. Katakuri is apparently almost invincible in a way that not even Big Mom appears to be, since Luffy was able to punch her without issue. He didn't hurt her, but she had to haki up and hitting her didn't hurt Luffy himself. Plus, Katakuri has stronger observation skills than Big Mom will have, and beating him requires Luffy act in a way he's not used to acting; deliberately antagonising and upsetting his opponent to make them emotionally vulnerable. There is obviously still a gap, but Katakuri comes across as a difficult opponent for Luffy requiring skills he may not need for Big Mom rather than making Luffy look like he's deficient in skills he needs to beat her.

That said, this chapter illustrates to me part of the reason I don't really care about this fight; Luffy can literally walk away from it and it makes absolutely no difference to anyone or anything. As soon as Luffy pushed Katakuri in to the mirror world he had completed the only objective this fight really has. Namely to stop Katakuri from getting in the way of the rest of the Strawhats. Before a punch was thrown in the mirror world, that was done. Luffy really just wants to beat Katakuri for the sake of it at this point, because with Luffy controlling Brulee, Katakuri couldn't escape or further harm the Strawhats even if he wanted to. There are no other stakes. Katakuri hasn't hurt anyone else in a way that demands revenge, he isn't stopping anything from happening and he really has no further relevance to the Strawhats at the moment. Luffy could leave him trapped in the mirror world for eternity and it wouldn't change anything about this arc for anyone, at least on the Strawhats side.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
With Big Mom bearing down on him, Luffy really has no chance of getting back to his crew unless he goes through the mirror world and Katakuri, though. I guess he could still manage to somehow slip past him again but it seems more likely that he'll have to defeat him.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Agreed. As it stands, Luffy doesn't need to deal with Katakuri anymore unless he's forced back into the mirror world somehow (maybe by a rampaging Big Mom), at which point he'll be forced to win that fight. And I agree with the assessment that Katakuri is fairly close to Big Mom in terms of power. All the other pirates in the crew seem to regard Katakuri as some unbeatably strong superhuman, and I think the only reason they're not more afraid of him than Big Mom herself is because he's not a rampaging child.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Julias posted:

Pedro as Pudding is pretty good.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I liked the chapter. The 10 min no-haki annoys me but atleast Luffy keeps his strength and speed this time rather than turning into a corpse.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

regardless of how good the chapter is, this absolutely needs to be the last time luffy needs to recharge his haki. I like gear 4 a little less because of this

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Sounds to me like we’re gonna have a Reverie arc before Wano, which is the reverse of what I thought we’d get.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

sharktamer posted:

Yo wait why did everyone brush over Houshin Engi?

e: Oh poo poo, just found out it's got an anime starting early next year. Hope it doesn't suck!

Are you loving serious. *goes off to google imore information*

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrakePegasus posted:

Sounds to me like we’re gonna have a Reverie arc before Wano, which is the reverse of what I thought we’d get.

I highly doubt Reverie is going to be an arc. It's more likely to be a chapter or two between arcs to show the start of it and then a second set of one or two chapters between the next arcs to wrap it up. Luffy is unlikely to actually show up at the Reverie.

Plus, this is the "4 Emperors Arc". The Strawhats spending an arc at Reverie would make it hard to call it part of that arc unless they find out an Emperor is going to be there, and even then, it'd need to be an Emperor going there to threaten a friend in some fashion. And maybe bring their Road Poneglyph along for some reason, given they're the big mcguffins of the moment in One Piece and it's unlikely he'll beat an Emperor without getting theirs and instead have to get theirs after the fact.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 12, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

reverie was always happening next, tho it probably isn't gonna be this year like oda said at this rate

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if odas trolling us and there's another timeskip before wano

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Another two years before we get to see Zoro and the others.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Also apparently Katakuri is triplets with Oven and Daifuku (I guess Oda is dropping a lot of this info in SBS ). This is interesting since neither of them has a weird stitched-dog-thing mouth going on, which would imply Katakuri had his jaw ripped off at some point rather than it being inherited through one piece genetics.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

JahRoo posted:

Also apparently Katakuri is triplets with Oven and Daifuku (I guess Oda is dropping a lot of this info in SBS ). This is interesting since neither of them has a weird stitched-dog-thing mouth going on, which would imply Katakuri had his jaw ripped off at some point rather than it being inherited through one piece genetics.

He read Toriko and thought Zebra had a good idea, but didn't go far enough.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I don't think this was Oda writing himself into a corner, it was set up to have Sanji save luffy.

That doesn't make the stupid gear 4 cool down any more appealing.

Wasn't it established a long time ago that Roger also ended up running away from Big Mom? Narratively he has stayed very consistent, there is no necessity for Luffy to take out any of these people if Big Mom is satisfied with the cake.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Ubiquitus posted:

I don't think this was Oda writing himself into a corner, it was set up to have Sanji save luffy.

That doesn't make the stupid gear 4 cool down any more appealing.

Wasn't it established a long time ago that Roger also ended up running away from Big Mom? Narratively he has stayed very consistent, there is no necessity for Luffy to take out any of these people let alone Big Mom if she is satisfied with the cake.

The end goal here was always getting Sanji back, and they got the road poneglyph they needed in the process.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I don't remember anything about Roger running from Big Mom. That's not very Pirate King like at the very least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Luffy has to beat dogtooth at least since there is absolutely no avoiding a fight with kaidou who even big mam is wary of

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the epic self-quote edit......... like a beautiful eclipse...........

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Kild posted:

I don't remember anything about Roger running from Big Mom. That's not very Pirate King like at the very least.

In the past, Roger managed to read Big Mom's Road Poneglyph using the Voice of All Things, allowing him to reach Raftel before her. After failing to stop Roger from this, Big Mom vowed not to let anyone who read her Road Poneglyph get away again.

So I guess he didn't necessarily run away, but it doesn't say he outright beat her either, which has been how this arc has been set up from the beginning.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

What I'm saying is fanboys shouldn't just suck it up and treat every chapter as gold...no need to treat every chapter as trash either, even if much doesn't happen in a narrative sense, since it's more about enjoying the journey as it goes on...but i didn't think the jokes this chapter landed all that well, and combined with ruining the established tension and not doing much more with the Sanji plotline...yeah....it's gets a D rating at best .
:yeah:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kild posted:

He did. It was established earlier this arc that he basically did what brook did and just read her poneglyphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's never been stated that Roger really fought anyone all that much aside from Garp. None of the Yonko, Shichibukai (though they might not have existed at that point), or Admirals. Seems Roger had a relatively smooth journey to Raftel, it's when he was Pirate King that he did a lot of battles with the Marines.

But at the same time we don't know much about his journey, though we've met most of his major crew by now. Can't wait to meet other badasses that travelled with him.