Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That falls under "Anything Agency".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The new guy's name is Orpheus*. Whenever he brings the turnabout to his case, he loses.

* not a deity but :ssh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’d love for an Athena game where she gets to psychoanalyze Phoenix’s darkest memories and the events of 3-5 somehow tie into her case

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like them to keep the gimmick stuff like psyche locks, perception, and psychoanalysis to the investigation portions, personally. Yeah the trials are nutty and a lot of bullshit flies anyway, but the gimmicks were a bit too much of a stretch.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bongo Bill posted:

Poor Iris.

I like to think that ended becuase Phoenix hosed up introducing Trucy and scared off Iris becuase she thinks that Trucy is actually his daughter.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

I'd like them to keep the gimmick stuff like psyche locks, perception, and psychoanalysis to the investigation portions, personally. Yeah the trials are nutty and a lot of bullshit flies anyway, but the gimmicks were a bit too much of a stretch.

Hard disagree, I think having one gimmick per game for the trials really helps change things up. Psyche-locks never showed up during trials anyways, did they?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean psyche locks were just a way to have trial segments outside of the courtroom basically. I don't think they'd work in a courtroom setting except in a recess.

E: Like as a unique thing i mean. Pretty sure they've shown up in courtroom sessions before they just get broken through the regular cross-examinations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think like how Perception was brought out of the trials and into the investigations, I could see the Mood Matrix also going into those segments to make way for a new trial mechanic.

I don't really see Divinations coming back unless we do like a Case 4 trial checking up on Apollo in Khura'in.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 11, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A crossover with Ghost Trick where the facts of the case change during the trial. Everyone else's memories change to reflect the new reality except yours, so you have to figure out the changing how of the murder.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Waffleman_ posted:

I think like how Perception was brought out of the trials and into the investigations, I could see the Mood Matrix also going into those segments to make way for a new trial mechanic.

I don't really see Divinations coming back unless we do like a Case 4 trial checking up on Apollo in Khura'in.

Divinations are bad so i am ok with this

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Would Trucy be Athena’s assistant or would we get a new character?

Actually, what I really want is Girl Attorney; Athena v Franny, Detective Ema, female Judge

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Carlosologist posted:

Actually, what I really want is Girl Attorney; Athena v Franny, Detective Ema, female Judge

actually every judge is already a different person and some of them are women but they all have beards and male pattern baldness. it's a weird kojima-tier UCLA genetics program

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like I joked about earlier, now that Apollo's out of America, I could see them bringing on a new character to even out the Agency. It would even follow a pattern of a new lawyer being introduced each time the series jumps systems, like Apollo for the DS (AJ was technically the first new game on the DS with 1-3 being ports) and Athena for the 3DS.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like the idea that the Agency is growing and time's always progressing so i'd be cool with a new assistant for Athena. But at the very least Trucy should be co-counsel for the case when Apollo finally gets accused of murder.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Never forget that Apollo’s pointer finger has superpowers

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like the idea that the Agency is growing and time's always progressing so i'd be cool with a new assistant for Athena.

Armie pls

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ok the new game takes place during the period of phoenix's disbarment but he's doing underground lawyer work that he never mentioned at all to apollo and told nobody about and also he teams up with gumshoe

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The White Dragon posted:

actually every judge is already a different person and some of them are women but they all have beards and male pattern baldness. it's a weird kojima-tier UCLA genetics program

Juniper with a flower beard, like a flower crown but a beard.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't care who the main character is, so long as Maya is in it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
With the power of the Switch, AA7 will be the first fully 3D, open world Ace Attorney. It'll play something like L.A. Noir.

- Trust
- Doubt
- OBJECTION!
- Get burgers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mabels big day posted:

ok the new game takes place during the period of phoenix's disbarment but he's doing underground lawyer work that he never mentioned at all to apollo and told nobody about and also he teams up with gumshoe

Here on the mean streets of Japanafornia, its Object or be Objected.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Big Trouble In Little Khura'in

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Good news: We seem to be getting two Switch compilations of the two previous trilogies as well as a new game on Switch.

Bad news: Phoenix is back to main character, though that may just be the traditional marketing and saying it's still focused on the agency, so not a cause for worry.

https://twitter.com/ninwire/status/930109103925612544

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

im pretty sure technically aa5 and 6 would be considered to have phoenix as the main character so i wouldn't read much into it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently it's doing a simultaneous release for iOS

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Cake Attack posted:

im pretty sure technically aa5 and 6 would be considered to have phoenix as the main character so i wouldn't read much into it

Yeah, Apollo has basically become the main character as of AA6. That game's technically about Phoenix rushing to another country to help Maya out of a jam then inadvertently getting embroiled in politics there and it's still Apollo's story.

There are also supposed leaks of Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite DLC stating Apollo will be a fighter instead of Phoenix. Take it with a grain of salt, but if true, it could mean Horn Head back in the driver's seat for the next game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apollo had a shaky start but he rules now so it's cool. Still though, bring on the Age of Athena.

On a side note, drat the orchestral and jazz versions of the soundtracks are still so good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's interesting how the game called "Apollo Justice" is the one that's the least about him.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

It's interesting how the game called "Apollo Justice" is the one that's the least about him.

I was about to say that hey, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney wasn't about Phoenix either but on second thought it does feature such things as: a backstory and character motivation for Phoenix, a childhood friend antagonist, another childhood friend, etc.

In AJ Apollo is kinda just some kid what likes Phoenix Wright and defends clients.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Apollo Justice is seriously one of the better turnarounds of a character. It's amazing how good a job they did at making me like the guy after his debut.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There was nothing wrong with Apollo's character in AJ, just plenty wrong with AJ itself.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

There wasn't a game in the the series where I can say that it was strictly about Phoenix until AA4.

AA1 was ultimately about Edgeworth, AA2 is about Maya, and AA3 is about Mia.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Apollo Justice is seriously one of the better turnarounds of a character. It's amazing how good a job they did at making me like the guy after his debut.
Yeah it was quite the turnabout.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There was nothing wrong with Apollo's character in AJ, just plenty wrong with AJ itself.
I dunno he's still kind of plain in AJ, though it would have helped if he had a better prosecutor than like Klavier to bounce off of.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ImpAtom posted:

He didn't even have to become a cyborg ninja for people to start liking him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I still like playing as Phoenix because they write him as being highly experienced and formidable, which means that in trials either he keeps his cool instead of panicking with every setback, or else they bring the most outrageous bullshit possible out against him. I wouldn't want either of those for every case, but variety is important. Apollo, meanwhile, seems to specialize in emotionally difficult cases.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one am the reason they keep bringing back Edgeworth. I can't help but love the guy.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 14, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Edgeworth is great but I hate the voice they have for him now.

Objectishsharghaghaghaghagahg

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I really love the differing approaches to trials all three of the main lawyers have; Phoenix gets a good sense of the big picture early on and bluffs his way through until he has the ammo he needs, Apollo builds up his case slowly and steadily, and Athena throws a lot of poo poo at the wall until she finds something that sticks.

Raxivace posted:

Edgeworth is great but I hate the voice they have for him now.

Objectishsharghaghaghaghagahg

I wish they could’ve gotten someone with a smoother voice for him, like Cam Clarke. :sigh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of voice actors, the stars of the anime dub have been shown off.

https://twitter.com/KylePhillipsFUN/status/930166783293652992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Glad they had fun doing it.

I bet they would have had even more fun if they got to work on a good anime.