Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Volvo truck brake engineers need a big raise. Wonder how loaded that truck was? Can't imagine how fast that truck driver's heart was going :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
I salute you, very alert truck driver.

Holy poo poo that thing stopped quickly for a truck. And that kid's parent needs to have a stern talk with them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And people wonder why US school buses are how they are.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

StimpyBoy posted:

I salute you, very alert truck driver.

Holy poo poo that thing stopped quickly for a truck. And that kid's parent needs to have a stern talk with them.

On one hand yes. OTO passing a stopped schoolbus is bad form.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy gently caress those brakes own.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

At this intersection this afternoon:

I'm in the lane labeled "A", the person to my right is the lane labeled "B".

This happens (you can probably guess):

https://youtu.be/RpLNzlWqjCM

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Thought I was in r/watchpeopledie for a millisecond.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy gently caress those brakes own.

He must have been running unloaded.

Even so, his reaction time and the braking time are amazing. I am not sure how many people in a car on the commute would even be able to get their foot on the brake in the time it took him to stop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

spog posted:

Even so, his reaction time and the braking time are amazing. I am not sure how many people in a car on the commute would even be able to get their foot on the brake in the time it took him to stop.

He was probably hovering over the brake expecting someone behind the bus to try to pass it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LongSack posted:

Welcome to New Jersey, friend!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

nm posted:

On one hand yes. OTO passing a stopped schoolbus is bad form.

That was a school bus??

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That was a school bus??

Tbqh based on that first passenger bolting down the hill, i expected the bus to burst into flames or something

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That was a school bus??

I base that based on everyone getting out being kids wearing backpacks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LongSack posted:

Bonus points to him for going to the far left lane too.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

Welcome to New Jersey Tennessee, friend!

StormDrain posted:

Bonus points to him for going to the far left lane too.

Yeah, that too

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

spog posted:

Volvo trucks have some fancy bits to help out, dunno if it could detect a pedestrian though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBT3tB_AQQA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At this point, Volvo truck brakes are practically magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whatever they were paying the guy in the brake-checking wagon, it's not enough.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

nm posted:

I base that based on everyone getting out being kids wearing backpacks.
Based on the number on the digital display it's likely a normal bus, and this is is backed up by Norwegian news sites. The kids had likely forgotten to press the stop button in time (or the driver forgot to stop despite it being pressed, it happens), and the bus stopped way past the bus stop, in a dumb location.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Whatever they were paying the guy in the brake-checking wagon, it's not enough.

Not as much as this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGq0vjiOes

Worth noting that only one of the two cars had pedestrian awareness...it was not this one.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Dave Inc. posted:

Not as much as this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGq0vjiOes

Worth noting that only one of the two cars had pedestrian awareness...it was not this one.

It's beautiful, like Robocop's ED-209 boardroom test with live ammo.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's fully loaded with 40 tonnes at 50Km/Hr!

That's insane.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't want to be a wet blanket but this is tested by Volvo and the trailer has 3 axles. You can bet your rear end a tech demo like that is going to use the best tires as well have having a extremely fine tune on the braking bias.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Don't want to be a wet blanket but this is tested by Volvo and the trailer has 3 axles. You can bet your rear end a tech demo like that is going to use the best tires as well have having a extremely fine tune on the braking bias.

I am sure you are right, but it's still 'gently caress you Newton and your stupid laws' clever.

Can someone more talented than me do an analysis and compare this to a porsche braking, cause I am sure this 40 tonne truck isn't taking much longer than a sports car to stop?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Can someone more talented than me do an analysis and compare this to a porsche braking, cause I am sure this 40 tonne truck isn't taking much longer than a sports car to stop?
The Porsche can probably do it a few more times.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

um excuse me posted:

The truck only has two axles though, so compared to a US-style configuration you've just moved four tires worth of braking capability rearward.

spog posted:

It's stopping from 50 km/h. That's roughly 30 MPH. That's nothing. A 991 Turbo S can stop from 30 MPH in 26 feet, a Panamera GTS in 28.

InitialDave posted:

Also this, though to be fair on a normal road you only really need the brakes to work at their peak once. If you're braking to anywhere close to full capacity on the street often enough that it becomes an issue you should probably re-evaluate your driving.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

PCOS Bill, is that you?

Gone for literally a month and suddenly everyone is PCOS Bill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Though probably costs more to replace discs and pads :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Phanatic posted:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

I have questions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm going to assume someone was doing something stupid and caused the truck driver to panic steer off an overpass.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

I'm going to assume someone was doing something stupid and caused the truck driver to panic steer off an overpass.

That's what I'm guessing, but you can't rule out the truck driver having their phone out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I want to say there was a sick ramp on the other side and the truck almost made it over.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Why does it look like half the cab is still on the trailer?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brigdh posted:

Why does it look like half the cab is still on the trailer?

Reefer unit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

https://goo.gl/maps/9SqP5kiqYKR2

It's an express lane setup that exits in to a T on the overpass.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

https://goo.gl/maps/9SqP5kiqYKR2

It's an express lane setup that exits in to a T on the overpass.

Goddamn what a way to go.

"aw poo poo gps wanted me to stay on the highway, welp, time to double down!" *floors gas up offramp*

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED

Terminator did it better, imo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Terminator did it better, imo.

At least the T-1000 kept driving. That part of the movie bugged me for some autistic reason because you'll notice the windshields fly out on that scene and they magically reappear. Apparently bothered Cameron too, because he digitally fixed it when they did the 3D version this past summer.

I'd be interested in the recovery procedures for dragging the trailer back. Probably drat simpler to yank it off and let it fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Forget 'You park like an rear end in a top hat' cards, I need a 'Your tire has no tread' card. This poo poo is ridiculous.