Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the tips everyone. Honing a 3rd Gust won't be a problem after the renewals. I have shitloads of 4* orbs. I just feel weird honing a 3rd copy of a 4* ability for a single fight. Gonna do it anyway because I want to beat all these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

more raging winds

Seriously this. I had 3 R2 Raging Winds on my Golem kill, and 2 Gusts on Ramza.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I did it! Thanks for all the help! Clear time was 1:02 but I mastered it. And I got enough black crystals to do this:

Edit:. I ended up replacing Raines with Yuna for her BSB2 and it worked really well. Y'shtola is awesome but she can't deal with all the healing on her own.

I didn't actually need a 3rd copy of Gust after all but I may end up doing it anyway because Fujin ran out of hones and had to Wrath into Zan over and over late in the fight.

I can definitely get this done in under a minute now that I have a better feel for the fight and can make more optimized decisions.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 11, 2017

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Snazzy Frocks posted:

more raging winds

This is The Correct Way to Golem

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Are there any weird battle speed interactions to be worried about for ATB bars or buff durations? Like FF9 for example where the timers continued during animations so at max speed buffs would fall off as soon as they were applied and enemies would attack after each of your attacks.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bruceski posted:

Are there any weird battle speed interactions to be worried about for ATB bars or buff durations? Like FF9 for example where the timers continued during animations so at max speed buffs would fall off as soon as they were applied and enemies would attack after each of your attacks.

You can game the system to your benefit by setting speed to high while someone's in the air from a jump attack, and during an animation their airtime will count down despite ATB not moving. Other than that, the game is solidly built around its ATB system. It's best to play at low speeds generally for better reaction times.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only real animation quirk is that if a character is using a Jump, the time it takes for them to come back down continues ticking during other animations. So you can set battle speed to 5 while an animation is playing and they'll pretty much land immediately afterwards.

Also for some multi-wave fights, ATB bars will continue ticking in the transition between waves, so with a quick finger you can switch the speed to 5 as soon as one wave is down and everyone should have a full bar by the time the enemies of the next wave appears.

It used to be that ATB bars would continue playing during the trigger animations for Last Stand, but they've hotfixed that. I think it might still work for Radiant Shield, though.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I remember there being some fights that started with dialogue where if you had higher battle speed, that tiny window between battle start and dialogue would let your own bar raise more. As I recall, the boss’s bar wouldn’t start until after dialogue in those cases. I might be misremembering this, though, and no idea if it’s still anything that works.

Apart from that, low speed is just good since the soul break buttons having their little “big move incoming” impact effect end up using less battle time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I wish I had the option to turn on the timer that you get in magicite battles for all battles. I have no clue when my buffs run out

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

I wish I had the option to turn on the timer that you get in magicite battles for all battles. I have no clue when my buffs run out

Ideally, yeah. I'd also settle for easier to see effects or icons or something. Even something as obvious as haste can be annoying to see when it runs out since the graphic doesn't run constantly. Things without graphical effects like Wall are definitely worse for this.

Heck, I'd be happy if the Pause menu listed buffs and debuffs, maybe even with an MMORPG-esque timer on each. That seems like a decent compromise between saving screen space and giving info.

Or just turn the timer on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Scylla down, my first Jumpstart battle. I underestimated how much buffs can build on each other, thought I'd need some full dark-oriented team to make Sephiroth work and such.
Ovelia's magic blink really cut down his damage, then RW Rikku and Red 13 to buff, by his third LB he was doing 4.5k*15. Add in Faris doing Pirate Princess, Bartz with his Ultra and wind BSB to capitalize on that, and Faris/Red using a smorgasbord of debuffs when they weren't busy, and he became a lot less formidable. What had been 6K magic attacks were hitting for 2K which them got healed when I refreshed the evade.

I think I got overwhelmed looking at the theorycraft posts for magicite and such, where people have had whole teams based around force-multiplying one unit/vulnerability and I don't have the tools to do that yet. Turns out doing a few less multipliers on two units works fine too for the stuff on my hitlist, particularly in a JS battle where I'm fully charged to unleash hell.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Bruceski posted:

Scylla down, my first Jumpstart battle. I underestimated how much buffs can build on each other, thought I'd need some full dark-oriented team to make Sephiroth work and such.
Ovelia's magic blink really cut down his damage, then RW Rikku and Red 13 to buff, by his third LB he was doing 4.5k*15. Add in Faris doing Pirate Princess, Bartz with his Ultra and wind BSB to capitalize on that, and Faris/Red using a smorgasbord of debuffs when they weren't busy, and he became a lot less formidable. What had been 6K magic attacks were hitting for 2K which them got healed when I refreshed the evade.

I think I got overwhelmed looking at the theorycraft posts for magicite and such, where people have had whole teams based around force-multiplying one unit/vulnerability and I don't have the tools to do that yet. Turns out doing a few less multipliers on two units works fine too for the stuff on my hitlist, particularly in a JS battle where I'm fully charged to unleash hell.

Yea, Imperils are nice but not necessary, especially if you are rocking strong abilities/SBs. Outside of magicites or certain fights where going all in on one element is nearly required, I rarely run a mono-element team. My general purpose team uses wind (Fujin) and dark (Raines). This is compared to say, my Sealion team, which is all about making Terra blow poo poo up better.

Incidentally though, don't get too into those theorycraft posts. Most of the magicite builds/vids/etc you see are for sub30 wins, which are much much more tuned than what you need to get a regular win. If you can beat torments and have decent tools in a single element, you may well be able to pull out a win against a magicite fight. My first Sealion win I had Terra USB/OSB spam for, but I beat Fenrir with just two enIce BSBs. It was a long, drawn out fight, but it was doable.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 11, 2017

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

If you're on android then FFRKompanion has an option which does this.

It's the only thing it does which modifies information sent to the client (turning on the timer is just a value in the battle json), so unlike the other features it does open the possibility of it being detected by Dena. I seriously doubt they'd ban people for using relatively harmless third party apps, but if you're paranoid you might want to steer clear.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mithross posted:

Incidentally though, don't get too into those theorycraft posts. Most of the magicite builds/vids/etc you see are for sub30 wins, which are much much more tuned than what you need to get a regular win. If you can beat torments and have decent tools in a single element, you may well be able to pull out a win against a magicite fight. My first Sealion win I had Terra USB/OSB spam for, but I beat Fenrir with just two enIce BSBs. It was a long, drawn out fight, but it was doable.

Yeah, the difference between sub-30 and even sub-60 is astronomical. You can have a pretty unoptimized team for Magicite and as long as you go in with your strongest elemental attacks/SBs and play smartly with buffs and the like you can clear consistently before your RW walls run out. The minmax hyper-focused "every move must be PERFECT" is only for a couple of major orbs of the given element.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
There's actually some ATB shenanigans you can pull off, but I think at least one of them has been silently patched out by now: basically, it used to be that when Last Stand triggers, the ATB bars continue to fill for some time afterwards but nobody can take any actions during it, which can let you get more attacks in due to the fact that party actions outprioritize enemy actions if they happen at the same time.

This still applies to reflected damage from any sources of Radiant Shield, and unless it's been changed as well, SB chain duration isn't equal between between different battle speeds and speed 5 gets you the longest absolute chain duration with around 7 seconds of difference between it and the shortest possible duration which I think is at speed 2.

For more information, see https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6ut5y2/how_do_you_manipulate_game_speed_to_get_the_most/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/6lv73l/chain_duration_on_each_battle_speed/

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

H O L Y S H I T

That was close, had to do the last 30% without a DPS and a healer. Two torments down now, both with CMs done on the JS :getin:

Some takeaways:

1) USBs are real fuckin cool, dudes. I take back all my lame griping before about my 30th Anniversary pulls, because the second I made and honed abilities, everything came together. It is insane how effective they are.

2) Reks is seriously awesome. His BSB is amazingly useful, both commands and entry. His SSB is useful and saved my rear end this run when Eiko died. He carried Shell to protect everyone, and I also slapped Omega Drive on him and he was decent enough DPS. Don't sleep on Reks.

3) Beatrix is a monster. All I had for her was her SSB2 (6 AoE Holy hits + EnHoly) so I was really worried about her performance, but she was almost capping DC/GB the entire fight, as well as keeping everyone protected.

4) Zidane USB+BSB2 combo seems very very potent and I'm thinking he's going to be one of my first dives once I get the Bravery motes. Having instacast Thief + chase + imperil would have been even more sick for this fight. You have just enough time to pull off the CMD1x3 -> CMD2 party buff combo if you do BSB>USB, and each hit of the CMDs was capping. Didn't need D&S until the end.

5) Eiko with just her BSB is way better than I would have thought.

In conclusion, game is good and rad

e:

6) without a set of KO resist accessories, I wouldn't have been able to do this. Thanks, Renewals!

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 11, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Noctis legend dive allows me to sub 30s my second magicite! :toot:

Noctis just spamming his SSB, Onion entrusting Bartz. Bartz has his EnEarth BSB + USB. Ramza is just shouting, while Y'shtola handles RW and magicite buffs, and heals with her BSB

Very simple fight for me, too. All I have to do is make sure that Bartz never casts either of his soul breaks without an instant action, while dropping commands in between. Everyone else just does their designated tasks pretty singlemindedly.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

First sub 20 :toot:

Totally wasn't because only two abilities didn't doublecast when they could have, across everyone that could have doublecast.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The Renewals definitely saved my rear end for allowing me to get a bunch of Instant KO resist accessories. (300 JS)

Had to go the extremely slow route for this fight and lean on BSB commands, otherwise I'd run well out of hones before the fight ended. In fact I basically did run out of even BSB commands, Raines is casting Chain Firaga there, and Y'shtola didn't have anymore healing (slotted Protectga/Shellga). Things I didn't know: Sentinel draws in each of the physical Counters, which was very helpful considering they were only smacking Beatrix for about 500-700. Despite that, only lost one medal for actions taken and one for damage taken. drat if it didn't take me multiple attempts though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Beat the D250/300 FF9
Beat the D250/300 FFT
Beat the D220 FF3

Man.....this feels good

I also just beat Sealion (by the skin of my teeth), which makes my third magicite completed!

EDIT: and now my fourth Magicite is completed, Hydra! (also Bismarck, Fenrir)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 12, 2017

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Congrats on all the achievements, everyone! It is nice being able to relax a bit after all of the renewal dungeons. I was excited on the 250 IX torment to have Cloud cap on his USB recast. First time seeing 6x99,999 on actually difficult content.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Decided to knock out some of the new realm dungeons today. I should start reading the strategy even for realm dungeons I guess because this was an extremely painful fight with no source of magic damage

Tifa's USB gives major regen, haste, and radiant shield so I had to auto attack up her SB gauge and let the Bandersnatch beat himself to death against the shield ~700 HP at a time while regen kept me alive

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Decided to knock out some of the new realm dungeons today. I should start reading the strategy even for realm dungeons I guess because this was an extremely painful fight with no source of magic damage

Tifa's USB gives major regen, haste, and radiant shield so I had to auto attack up her SB gauge and let the Bandersnatch beat himself to death against the shield ~700 HP at a time while regen kept me alive

So how'd your medals end up going? Good God.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I really need to figure out a way to deal with that boss because I just haven't bothered, yet, and I feel like I ought to. Mixed parties are such a drag to me though, and it especially hurts having the magical one resist all elements.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pander posted:

So how'd your medals end up going? Good God.

Ended up with 1 medal each in actions and damage and full medals elsewhere. Only got expert on the boss but the trash rounds gave me enough medals to master it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that guy is complete bullshit. I thought Raines would be enough for magic damage, but I missed the part where it said he was omniresist too, so Raines ended up dying from doom on the first attempt.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally stopped being lazy and did my first jumpstart with Scylla. Quistis using her BSB into double OSB was hilarious fun and Golbez BSB continues to be a really super rad tool to have kicking around. I also said gently caress it and decided to start legend diving Minwu because I have all but his USB (very sadly) and he's a fave. His LMs aren't that great sadly. LM1 is extra healing on WHT abilities and LM2 is a high chance to cleanse Poison/Silence/Blind/Confuse when they are inflicted on him. Although I imagine when the latter one is actually relevant it will be super rad to prevent potential disasters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did a last minute pull to try to get the OK bracers, got Refia and Elia's LMRs. Refia's is pretty good but I have nothing else for her, while Elia's looks worthless and I have nothing for her either.

At least it's decent synergy armor I guess.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
How reliable are Altema's character rankings? Apparently Tidus is top tier so it looks like I'll be pulling on the upcoming FFX banner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/78secs/character_rating_list_all_192_characters_oct_25

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
How much mythril is needed for the 3rd?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
3rd of what

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

private message posted:

How reliable are Altema's character rankings? Apparently Tidus is top tier so it looks like I'll be pulling on the upcoming FFX banner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/78secs/character_rating_list_all_192_characters_oct_25

Seems fine enough as a guideline but keep in mind that list assumes you have everything for everyone. That list has Agrias criminally low. Doesn't he know she's a good girl who does her best?

Personally I don't like the look of X-1 but maybe it's because I'm a garbage magnet.

The 6*s and Tidus BSB2+LMR are good. Paine BSB is at least a +water armor.

Rikku's BSB isn't good, Wakka's BSB isn't good, Paine's LMR isn't good, Wakka's LMR isn't good. Paine SSB isn't good and everyone has Miracle Veil already (it's good if you don't though).

Not liking these odds.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

How much mythril is needed for the 3rd?

Hmm, hard to say. I found the 3rd anniversary a bit underwhelming compared to previous fests. The banners are no longer filled with random assortments of top-tier relics. Instead, each banner feels a lot more like normal event banners, by focusing on a couple characters and having 6*, bursts, and LMRs for those characters (no SSBs, but SSBs don't really show up on normal banners by that point either). There's certainly some very nice items on it, but you're just as likely to spend hundreds of loving mythril and repeatedly get 1/11 bullshit like Cloud's LMR that is literally worthless if you don't have his BSB2 (not that I'm speaking from experience or bitter or anything). Like, they're not necessarily top-tier BSBs; they're just BSBs for those characters, good or bad. Also, there are new things like the "Flash Tech" SBs, which are the 1/2 SB bar ones that almost exclusively do things like "instant cast stacking Enelement", which can be nice if you already have Enelement SBs for that character but are otherwise quite bad.

So with the FTs and LMRs, they're the sort of banner you use to "focus on" a character that is already strong for you (or pull a million times on the banner until you get several things for them), but that naturally comes along with a high chance of dupes on the banner if you already have stuff for that character. So there you go: you either have few dupes on the banner and therefore have a good chance of getting a worthless LMR or FT, or you have stuff for the characters already and have a good chance of dupes.

Proceed with caution.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Seems fine enough as a guideline but keep in mind that list assumes you have everything for everyone. That list has Agrias criminally low. Doesn't he know she's a good girl who does her best?

Personally I don't like the look of X-1 but maybe it's because I'm a garbage magnet.

The 6*s and Tidus BSB2+LMR are good. Paine BSB is at least a +water armor.

Rikku's BSB isn't good, Wakka's BSB isn't good, Paine's LMR isn't good, Wakka's LMR isn't good. Paine SSB isn't good and everyone has Miracle Veil already (it's good if you don't though).

Not liking these odds.

Rikku's BSB is an Imperil Water, which is pretty rare to get.

The Entire Imperil Water List:

Rikku BSB2
Rydia BSB (Coming in the next IV event right around the corner)
Yuffie BSB2 (Debuted in Super Fest 2 which is ETA Unknown, Recurred in 3rd Anniversary but is subject to change)
Wakka USB (No recurrence in JP yet)
Kimahri BSB (No recurrence in JP yet)
Rikku USB2 (Debuts in the most recent X event that hit JP. 5~6 months away)

Basically if you're fishing for an Imperil Water your options are to chase Rydia or Rikku. Rydia's BSB is a good deal better but should you fail to grab it Rikku BSB from the upcoming X event is your last chance at an Imperil for quite a long time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still really dislike LMRs and wish they were earnable in-game via some method or another. Drawing an LMR and nothing else feels even worse than getting a dud SSB to me.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Rikku's BSB is an Imperil Water, which is pretty rare to get.

The Entire Imperil Water List:

Rikku BSB2
Rydia BSB (Coming in the next IV event right around the corner)
Yuffie BSB2 (Debuted in Super Fest 2 which is ETA Unknown, Recurred in 3rd Anniversary but is subject to change)
Wakka USB (No recurrence in JP yet)
Kimahri BSB (No recurrence in JP yet)
Rikku USB2 (Debuts in the most recent X event that hit JP. 5~6 months away)

Basically if you're fishing for an Imperil Water your options are to chase Rydia or Rikku. Rydia's BSB is a good deal better but should you fail to grab it Rikku BSB from the upcoming X event is your last chance at an Imperil for quite a long time.

Fair enough but I personally don't like imperil elements unless the SB is great otherwise. When I look at Rikku's BSB I can't see a team that wouldn't be better off with something else.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

I still really dislike LMRs and wish they were earnable in-game via some method or another. Drawing an LMR and nothing else feels even worse than getting a dud SSB to me.

They're future-proof passive abilities that are going to still be used way longer after their releases than things like the first couple waves of BSBs that almost nobody uses now.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Good post. I honestly mostly want Tyro's SSJ5wall, with some other tidbits like Lightning, Zidane, and Tyro LMR.

Would you say, for an account heavily lacking in Water and Holy, among other things, that the upcoming godbanners are better quality than the fest banners?

Also, would you recommend the 15x15 and 33 pulls? I think that total was 275 myth or something.

victrix posted:

I'm kind of torn. On the one hand, getting just an LMR sucks real hard, but I had Iris' LMR long before I had her BSB, so she went from useless to incredibly helpful in one pull. The great thing about them, as said above, is that they're great investments for future pulls if nothing else.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 13, 2017

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you all know that DeNA owns a baseball team in Japan, and that team added "DeNA" to their name? Japan is fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ceaselessfuture posted:

Good post. I honestly mostly want Tyro's SSJ5wall, with some other tidbits like Lightning, Zidane, and Tyro LMR.

Would you say, for an account heavily lacking in Water and Holy, among other things, that the upcoming godbanners are better quality than the fest banners?

Also, would you recommend the 15x15 and 33 pulls? I think that total was 275 myth or something.

Yeah, I'd try to go for the special G5 3-pulls (which are only 5 mythril apiece, for 75 mythril), or at least for all the realms you're not totally set on. 5 mythril for a guaranteed relic is pretty nice. I recall the first 33-pull being free; of course I got 2/33 and they were awful, so I didn't do any additional mythril 33-pulls. You could do really well with doing more, but it's a really big relic pool and you could end up with schwartzcough-like luck, so you gotta gauge that for yourself. Definitely do the mythril 11-pull that lets you select a set of OSB, BSB, and SSB, since there were a lot of decent choices in there.

I honestly don't remember about the lucky draws (I think there was a healer lucky draw or something just AFTER the fest, so I don't know how they'll handle that. I went 1/11 with god drat Porom's non-medica SSB. Seriously, gently caress that fest). I think there was a set of 3 gem-only banners that let you select an LMR, a BSB, and an OSB, respectively, if you want to dump real money in.

As for Holy and Water, I'm not super big on this upcoming FFX banner. The top prizes are nice, but there's a lot of meh relics on there. JP's 3rd anniversary fest banners were mostly elementally-themed, and banner 5 with Yuffie/Tidus had a lot of good water stuff, so that's worth considering. For Holy, either or both of the upcoming tactics banners aren't bad, mostly just for Marche/Agrias on FFTA-1 and Marche/Orlandeau on the following FFT-1 banner. Ramza's BSB2 does give enholy, but you probably wouldn't be bringing him for holy damage, honestly.

• Locked thread