Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Isn't Australia drat near the ideal setup for solar? And you have China right there, making GBS threads out solar panels as fast as they can because they like having air they can breathe. I'm surprised y'all aren't just buying a ticket on the solar train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't Australia drat near the ideal setup for solar? And you have China right there, making GBS threads out solar panels as fast as they can because they like having air they can breathe. I'm surprised y'all aren't just buying a ticket on the solar train.

The country's energy policy is literally being held hostage by idiots who've been drinking deep from the climate change denial well.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Synthbuttrange posted:

The country's energy policy is literally being held hostage by idiots who've been drinking deep from the climate change denial well.

Isn't the Great Barrier Reef literally dying off in giant swaths? What the heck do they attribute that to?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not getting enough coal.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Australia for a very long time was a major mining country, and a lot of the country's richists made their fortunes in digging poo poo out of the ground. They refuse to change, because why should they, they're old and rich, so they'd rather make the entire country bend to their desire to freeze time in the 1980's.

It's loving imbecilic and the refusal to even LOOK at any new ways for the country to make money is going to cause them a depression because right now the only thing propping up Australia's economy is their ridiculous housing bubble, but the Conservative party there in the vein of all conservative parties does not give half a poo poo what happens in the future so long as they control everything right loving now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

the Conservative party there in the vein of all conservative parties does not give half a poo poo what happens in the future so long as they control everything right loving now.

Profits next quarter > total global thermonuclear annihilation in Q3

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's not like America's all that much different. We won't hop on the nuclear or solar train because it's much more important that some yokels in West Virginia get to pretend that they'll get to keep their mining jobs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Florida: A state that is essentially a best-use-case-scenario for solar, has zero solar incentives.

NEW JERSEY, on the other hand...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yay identity politics and millions willing to cut off their nose to spite their face.

But, as prices keep coming down on eco friendly things, eventually they get more and more popular.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is your electricity made on gold-plated treadmills operated by union labor?

That would be like 30 cents USD when you can get under 10 cents in most of the US. I guess that explains why we love A/C so much here.

In California, the two largest energy companies both have rate tiers that reach 30 cents+.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
One of my old coworkers in pennsylvania bought an "all electric" house with incentives and contract rate guarantees from the local power company. He thought it was the way of the future.

Not only did it have an electric stove and dryer, but it had electric baseboard heat as the only heat source (no fireplace) and also a goddamn electric water heater which had its own separate discount rate and meter.

Ironicallym he worked at an oil refinery his whole career before he retired. He worked in instrumentation. When everything went SCADA he couldn't keep up anymore, he described all the crazy pneumatic control systems they used to use.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

How is induction heating with cast iron? I am in the process of switching all off my pots pans out for cast iron as the non-stick surfaces wear out. Currently I have an electric stove but we are plumbed for gas so it is just a matter of waiting until this one dies or my wife threatens to divorce me over it. Unfortunately we are also looking at moving and everyone who has done updates in the area we are looking at have induction. I'm worried about cast iron scratching the glass top.

The ceramic top induction cooktops (or ceramic top heater cooktops, for that matter) can be scratched by cast iron pans, and they warn you not to slide cast iron around on the surface, always to lift it when moving it.

You can get metal top induction cooktops if you wish, they are usually sold as 'commercial' class equipment, but you can get ones clearly only designed for home use and not terribly expensive. The surface on those is all but indestructible.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FCKGW posted:

In California, the two largest energy companies both have rate tiers that reach 30 cents+.

How long a period is this for? We have a yearly electricity bill of around 1k euros, a little above. We have an electric house, induction stove. Hydronic floor heating, but that is heated by a heat pump (ground heat exchange). This is not the first time it seems to me like americans are really paying through the nose for electricity, or they use an insane amount of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

How long a period is this for? We have a yearly electricity bill of around 1k euros, a little above. We have an electric house, induction stove. Hydronic floor heating, but that is heated by a heat pump (ground heat exchange). This is not the first time it seems to me like americans are really paying through the nose for electricity, or they use an insane amount of it.

We use an insane amount of it. My utility sends me reports on how much energy I'm using, compared to comparable local homes and comparable energy-efficient local homes. I routinely beat the energy-efficient homes despite having done literally nothing to improve my energy efficiency aside from turning unnecessary lights off and not leaving the furnace running all the time.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I was going off of this:
https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

But that looks like marginal cost, instead of effective per kwh dues to fees/whatever.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Do you guys have any idea how much power you use in terms of kWh per year? We're around 10K kWh per year now, that includes everything, lighting and heating and anything that draws amps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Florida: A state that is essentially a best-use-case-scenario for solar, has zero solar incentives.

NEW JERSEY, on the other hand...

Florida is not a best-use-case scenario for solar. It's tropical, and big, and flat: but it also has lots of cloud cover, it's got an expensive grid that needs to go all over the place, and it has lots of trees.

Nevada is a best-use-case scenario for solar. It has lots of empty land with no trees, it has highly centralized population centers to deliver power to, which you can run lines to in very straight lines, it has a crazy-high number of cloudless days per year, and of course there's the added benefit that it does not routinely get hit by hurricanes.

Compared to the high desert, wet tropical coastal environments suck for solar.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do you guys have any idea how much power you use in terms of kWh per year? We're around 10K kWh per year now, that includes everything, lighting and heating and anything that draws amps.

I'm probably around 700-800 kWh/mo, and my monthly costs are around $80-$100/month. Over a year that would be $1000-1400 or so. I have this set up as an ebill, so I only have to approve payment and typically don't see a detailed bill. I do get a monthly summary of usage via email and another that compares me to my neighbors. I can also log into my account see my monthly invoice.

Natural Gas is more seasonal in terms of pricing. May-Sept is typically $15-20/month (stove, water heater, clothes dryer) Oct, Nov, Mar ,Apr run about $60-80/mo (add in furnace), and Dec-Feb can run up to $120/mo. I couldn't tell you the BTUs I'm using, since this is also an ebill, but I don't see any kind of summary. I can log into my account online and see monthly invoice detail if I wanted to.

EDIT: Had my usage horribly overestimated. I had what my figures were for an NG generator I'd want for the house in my head since I've been looking at getting one.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 13, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
From the osha thread,

https://twitter.com/Marinate_OnThat...ton%2F491246783

http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/news/local/tarrant-county/apartment-floor-collapses-during-student-party-in-denton/491246783

Something something, cheap construction, or cut joists or, not having 60 people in your living room.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

6800 units pa sucked from the grid.
2300 units from PV.
1000 units from gas.
5300 units exported.

We have a gas stove and gas-boosted solar hot water only, everything else electric.
Ducted reverse cycle A/C is the killer.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

~Coxy posted:

6800 units pa sucked from the grid.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

So that's what happened to the best ever death metal band.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I use about 5-7K a year. The US as a whole averages 12 cents per kilowatt and uses 10K kWh per year, but there's a lot of variation depending on how your state/region is generating it's power and how the climate effects demand.

Generally, in states above the 40th parallel (where most of Europe is) electricity is 13-18 cents a kW and demand is low because natural gas is used for a lot of heating. Below the 40 it's 8-11 cents per kW and there's high demand for electricity to run AC. This does not apply to the West coast (low demand, expensive in California and cheap for everyone else) and poor Hawaii where power is 33 cents per kilowatt and has the lowest usage rates of all.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

there wolf posted:

I use about 5-7K a year. The US as a whole averages 12 cents per kilowatt and uses 10K kWh per year, but there's a lot of variation depending on how your state/region is generating it's power and how the climate effects demand.

Generally, in states above the 40th parallel (where most of Europe is) electricity is 13-18 cents a kW and demand is low because natural gas is used for a lot of heating. Below the 40 it's 8-11 cents per kW and there's high demand for electricity to run AC. This does not apply to the West coast (low demand, expensive in California and cheap for everyone else) and poor Hawaii where power is 33 cents per kilowatt and has the lowest usage rates of all.

From my electric company:

"You used a total of 4240.90 kWh of electricity this year. Your usage was 64 % less than your neighborhood average."

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Our power company gives us pretty graphs.

I'm cheating a bit and have gas heat and water heater. Power bill in sweltering summer is $120 and gas is $15. In the winter it flips around to $40 power and $120 gas in winter. Yay Virginia temperature swings. This is a 40 year old middle unit townhome with mostly single pane windows so I don't feel like I'm doing too badly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

And to think there wasn't even a bathtub on that floor.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

I've used 8360 kWh total for the last 12 months. But we have gas forced air and a gas water heater. We used 322 Therms of NG over that same period. Bills range between $80-$160 (combined Electric/Gas bill) depending on if it's summer ($) or winter ($$$). I don't have or need AC, so when I switch to a gas oven/range, that should drop even lower in summer months.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

wesleywillis posted:

And to think there wasn't even a bathtub on that floor.
But now there could be; they've already got the hole cut for it! :woop:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maybe they could install a sunken tub even.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

endlessmonotony posted:

At first, it was simple. I put in the light bulb, I turned the wheel, and the light grew dimmer or brighter. But then I began to notice, it didn't just react to what I did, it reacted to how I did it. Performing the exact same steps at a different speed had different results. The dogs outside the house must have been startled by the rapid changes in lighting. I began connecting more components, and using the existing ones in different ways. I could just perform the right motion anywhere with the wheel, the idea that it had to be attached to something was just for show. The controller snapped to the base from enough distance I could just throw in the right direction, and I would find it waiting exactly where I expected. What began as repeatedly pressing a button labeled "not that" and swearing when I skipped over the hue I wanted soon turned to more control over the lights than I had even known I wanted. I started to notice I had a headache whenever the lights weren't how I wanted them, and could spend hours just fine-tuning them, never feeling like a wasted moment. And it relieved the pain, the waves, like a gong, faded into little more than whispers. I couldn't connect two remotes to a light, but I could attach a computer to the gateway and program it to respond to my commands before I even knew I had made them. The gateway. That's ironic. It's a daunting task getting everything the way you want to, but soon enough, I'll have control to get rid of every little thing bothering me. It can take me hours to figure out how to perform a sequence of commands exactly the way I want them, and sometimes you have to take steps not immediately obvious, like dimming everything to a minimum to synchronize the devices, but it won't take long now until the headaches are gone for good. I can't say I'll miss the pain, or the sound. The constant "bork bork bork".

I wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your effort, here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ethernet was introduced in the 70s, and evolved from coax to twisted pair cable in the mid 80s. In computer terms that's getting into geologic timescales. Cat6 supports up to 100 gigabits per second, which is fast enough the house is likely to reach must-renovate levels of datedness before the cable is meaningfully obsolete in terms of what you can do with it, let alone useless. With conduit and some string, you wouldn't even need to open the walls to upgrade the network wiring.

Just the ability to put access points wherever you want without needing a chain of wireless repeaters could potentially pay for the cable and conduit. I just don't see a reason not to run ethernet in new construction.

This is the answer. Just run conduit terminating in a network closet somewhere easily ventilated. You can use the old wire to pull new wire when it's time to gut and replace. Get a label maker, label every loving cable on both ends.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Before we stuck 9.35KW of solar panels onto the roof we were averaging 33kWh/day. Which at 40c per kWh and a 90c a day supply charge meant we pay about $1K a quarter.

Now the solar has been on about a week now and we've generated 585kWh of power, only just got the import export meter installed yesterday so we'll have to see how well our day time production offsets our day time usage.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have to look up our usage, but in south Jersey, we have PSE&G, and the charges are nuts. Electric is at a minimunm, $150/month...gas use minimum is like $20-$25 and that's going the whole month without any HVAC at all, 90% LED bulbs, hardly ever turn on the TV.

The highest bill we ever received was over $650.00 in the midst of a cold winter. This is with a 2-stage 90% efficient gas furnace & high-eff water heater. House dates from 1930; I have blown-in insulation (done myself 5-years ago with Home Depot syatem) but the original windows with newer storms (I have rebuilt all of the windows, installed the storms) so there is some loss there. Highest summer bill was nearly $500, $470 of which was electric.

Meanwhile, six miles across the river in Philadelphia, PECO electric rates are so low you can cool a 3-story townhouse in August for maybe $160/month.

(edit)found a bill. December 2016 it was somewhat colder: averaged 66KwH/day, and 4.5-therms
Electric rate: Eleven cents / KwH up to 62, then .12 (45 to 538), thereafter it drops to a dime.
Add four cents/KwH distribution

Gas: First 1.046 therms @ thirty-eight cents, then it drops to... .3744849 (or - hey - thirty-eight cents!)
Plus thirty-seven cents per therm delivery. Yes, folks, they charge as much to deliver it as the commodity itself. Yay!

-OR-
Electric: about 18,500 KwH/year ($2800)
Gas: 650 therms/year ($487)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 15, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
the 90s man,

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
People bitch about electricity rates in Ontario. We supposedly got rid of coal, decommissioned a bunch of hydro electric dams up north, and replaced a poo poo load of it with wind and solar.

Last month I used about 10$ worth of electricity, the delivery fee was 23 dollars. Actually, my delivery fee has always been higher than what I use....

Not mine, but a local utility rate charts, I think they're the same across the province.
https://www.horizonutilities.com/myHome/ElectricityRates/Pages/Archived/2015/SmartMeter-2015-01.aspx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

I'm getting queasy just trying to parse this bathroom. :barf:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

I think you need to update the drivers for your graphics card.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

This is the closest thing to a non-Euclidean bathroom I think we've gotten so far

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I love that beetlejuice bathroom so much it's dumb as hell and so awfully ugly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

the 90s man,

Wall it. Just take it down to the studs and start over.

Electricity chat: since we moved apartments from the leaky box my husband lived in when we met to a place with windows that actually seal, our average daily use has nearly halved from 50-60kWh to the 20s. We replaced almost all our bulbs with Hue bulbs too; even though they're technically always on, they use less power for as much as the lights are on.

Our utility is poo poo for tools, I'm jealous of you guys with your fancy charts and data. The only chart we get is for comparing your own use to the previous year's and the month labels don't even line up, but if you're at a different address obviously you don't get that. If you want to look at your past average daily use they'll give you a text PDF, not even a CSV. You can't even look at previous activity at the address.