Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

New Butt Order posted:

Turns out the High Elves are the Real Chaos Cultists.

She gets a raft of bonuses to chariots as well. Imbued with the eternal power Surtha Ek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

Its interesting that the Tomb Kings are considered humans rather than undead

Technically they’re the OG humans

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Did anyone do a spell effortpost since WH2 hit? I'm doing OK with the very old stuff from release WH1 and figured out what the spells on the LLs do but I have no idea what's good in all the other lores.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How does everyone build Queek in the game? I played him as my first leader in the Vortex campaign and never planned on going back. It just seems like he's the weakest of the melee lords, or at least he's great for the precious few seconds all his buffs and debuffs are up, but then he crashes hard. The only use I found for him in fights was acting as a hammer to pack in enemies for doomwheel charges, artillery barrages, and spells.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Queek has the trait "duelist" which is mostly used for heroes and means "never use this unit in actual battles."

If you can actually engage the enemy general or hero 1 on 1 without any chaff intervening he'll melt them, but this is never going to happen so he's just a sub-par melee lord.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Queek has very high AP damage, but his attacks don't splash much. He still should be build as a combat lord, because he's still a particularly killy guy. He's best used fighting high armor enemy elites, or against heroes/LL. The chaff issue is also mitigated when he gets verminous valor, but like all LLs that lack a mount he should still work in tandem with other infantry a majority of the time since there's some unspoken perks involved with that (splash attacks will deal less damage to them in a crowd than it would to a mounted lord being a big one).

Due to his high AP, he can actually defeat most LL's 1v1 out of the box. People have actually complained about that, since he can beat up Archaon and Grimgor and thats ~against the lore~. Tho he still loses against the obvious combat monsters like durthu, kholek, and tyrion.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 12, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The Norsca mod that halves their income was great and I conquered the entire North and was getting ready to square off with a more powerful invading Tyrion at Hotek's Column when the Chaos invasion happened and just annihilated my savegame completely. That's another mod I had to learn to install the hard way. There's nothing fun about that mechanic at all.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

New Butt Order posted:

Queek has the trait "duelist" which is mostly used for heroes and means "never use this unit in actual battles."

If you can actually engage the enemy general or hero 1 on 1 without any chaff intervening he'll melt them, but this is never going to happen so he's just a sub-par melee lord.

Even if there is chaff around it means he'll murder a lord fast.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Queek is a murder machine for me.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

genericnick posted:

Did anyone do a spell effortpost since WH2 hit? I'm doing OK with the very old stuff from release WH1 and figured out what the spells on the LLs do but I have no idea what's good in all the other lores.

I've been thinking about it, so what the hell. Just touching on the four new lores introduced right now.

Skaven Lores

Skaven have two unique lores, the Lore of Plague and Lore of Ruin. Plague Priests and Skrolk use Plague, Warlock Engineers use Ruin, and Grey Seers can use either with their own unique spell added to the mix.

Overall Plague is the strongest Skaven Lore. It's very versatile and pretty much every spell is kickass.

Your lore attribute with Plague is Plague Rash which gives a small mapwide debuff to speed and vigor every time a spell is cast. The impact is low but takes it's toll in long battles by steadily draining enemy vigor so it works very well with Plague both thematically and mechanically.

Your basic spell is Pestilent Breath which is an all around solid breath spell, doing great damage to low armor units. Overcasting it adds poison, which is neat but rarely needed.

Bless with Filth is a cheap AoE buff that grants friendly units poison. Simple but highly effective. Overcasting doubles the duration from 22 seconds to 44.

Wither is Gelts Plague of Rust, except at twice the cost with an AOE. Works reasonably well with Skaven just because nearly all your chaff has low AP damage. Like Rust, overcast doubles the armor penalty from 30 to 60.

Vermintide is Skaven Raise Dead with clanrats instead of zombies or skeletons. Dirt cheap and you get 6 charges. Surprisingly enough is a bit underused purely because Skaven have so many other good summon spells.

Pestilent Birth Summons plague monks instead of clanrats. Only 2 charges but still super-good just because Plague Monks are hella better than Clanrats.

Plague An expensive stationary Vortex that deals massive damage and has a kickass animation. Also has excellent armor penetration, even moreso when overcast. As long as you're using it in situations where your opponents can't easily move away you're pretty much guaranteed good value.

Lore of Ruin is more situational than Plague, but it still has it's uses.

Musk of Fear is an excellent lore attribute, reducing enemy melee attack and leadership for 8 seconds.

Warp Lightning Is a very good bombardment spell, and one of the best starting spells generally. It's cheap, easy to aim, does solid damage and has good AP values. Just spamming this can be enough to justify bringing a caster along. Overcast increases the aoe size and number of missiles, which just makes the spell wider instead of better, rarely a worthwhile trade.

Howling Warpgale is a cheap aoe net spell that only targets flyers. It's effectively a hard counter against air units and a spell Skaven badly need against factions with access to poo poo like Dragons and Griffons. Overcast doubles duration from 19 seconds to 38.

Death Frenzy is an offensive buff that would probably see a lot more use on a faction that wasn't skaven. It buffs melee attack and wpn damage and adds immune to psychology, is reasonably cheap, and the duration is decent. However it's single target only unless overcast, and skaven melee tends to be chaff so it's a bit situational in the end.

Scorch is a breath spell with a unwieldy elongated aoe. It's hard to aim well and not really exceptional if it does land, so just ignore really.

Cracks Call OTOH is a very powerful (expensive) Wind Spell that does heavy AP Damage. You take Lore of Ruin for this, Warp Lightning, and Howling Warpgale basically.

Skitterleap is an interesting buff that grants speed+an upgraded version of Stalk that is only spotted at point blank range. Overcasting extends the duration to over a minute. You can probably do something clever with this, but it's not going to come up that often, especially since it's single target.

Now, additionally there is one more Skaven Spell that is unique to Grey Seers of any kind, The Dreaded Thirteenth Spell TDTS is an odd duck. It's a combination massive explosion/summon spell. Ideally what you do is drop the summon on a big cluster of lightly armored units and it explodes the poo poo out of them before the summoned Stormvermin even start doing their thing. The spell does cost a huge amount of winds and is hard to target perfectly given that your targeting curser is for the summoned units and you're just guesstimating the explosion radius.

It's a weird but potentially devasting spell that's totally worth screwing around with in campaign at the very least.

High Magic

High Magic is exclusive to High Elves and Lizardmen. It's a solid versatile/defensive lore with a lot of variety in spell effects but unfortunately lacking in punch or specialization sometimes.

Shield of Saphery is straight up the best part of High Magic. 11% map wide Ward Save for 10 seconds or whatever whenever you drop a spell is one of the best lore attributes in the game, especially because you have some very spammable spells.

Apotheosis Heals like 500 HP for 5 winds plus adds fear and pops the shield attribute. One of the best High Magic spells and always worth having, but doesn't really cut it when you need some serious healing. Overcast just adds range so whatever.

Hand of Glory Pops the shield attribute for 4 winds and has a 22 second cooldown, which is the main reason you take this spell. Also adds a gentle melee attack/reload buff which is reasonably useful but never crazy strong. Overcast just adds a speed buff so haha no. It's a nice spell for High Elves especially because they've always got a good target for this buff.

Soul Quench It's a pretty average magic missile with high unit penetration and low AP, which in the current spell meta means you're basically never going to bother. Can actually be decent against infantry if you line up a good flank shot through.

Tempest Secretly one of the best spells in the game. Tempest Pins flyers in place and does massive damage to them at a low cost. You can shave like 1000 HP off of a Dragon Lord with this thing and immobilize them for 12 winds, it's amazing. Only works on flying units, mind you.

Arcane Unforging It's a weird overpriced spirit leech with a forced cooldown effect that might be useful if the spell didn't cost an insane 16/20 winds.

Fiery Convocation Looks amazing, and is very close to being a good spell, but there's two big drawbacks.

1. It's probably the easiest wind spell in the game to dodge, thanks to that incredibly long and flashy casting animation
2. You have to overcast to get any decent AP damage, and that's 25 fricken winds.

Overall High Magic feels like it could use a bit of rebalancing. The cheap spells are super good and the expensive spells are super...expensive, but you can still get good mileage out of it.

Dark Magic

Dark Magic is crazy good and murders everything.

Spiteful Conjuration is -15 armor mapwide for 18 seconds, the only reason it's not more amazing than it is is because Dark Elf units are mostly AP to start with.

Power of Darkness gives you huge power boosts for fairly trivial HP damage, target this on a unit you don't care about instead of on your LL, especially if you're using Morathi.

Chillwind is a nice little breath spell that applies a large speed debuff. The damage isn't amazing the overall utility of the spell for 5 winds is very high.

Bladewind is one of the most cost effective vortexes in the game, it completely blenders units for 11 winds without even needing an overcast. The overcast just adds 7 seconds duration, it's OK if you're got an especially juicy blob but not necessary most of the time.

Word of Pain is a hex you drop on the enemy lord to give them -44 Melee Attack for 40 seconds. Overcasting also reduces melee defense which is nice but optional. A pretty specialized debuff but it does it's job.

Soul Stealer Soul Stealer only really does decent damage to single models, but it's effectively an aoe spirit leech that also heals the caster, so it's pretty great overall.

Doom Bolt is.. pretty weird. It's a bombardment spell that's homing but only if the target doesn't move too much and works best against armored single model units. It actually can do a crapload of damage, but for what it costs really you might as well be using Soul Stealer so it's a bit iffy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Wait what Power of Darkness isn't exclusively self-damage :stare:

Obviously I never clicked the button.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

The duelist trait means that instead of his 400ish weapon damage being spread evenly between a bunch of trash units, it'll laser focus on the lord you sic him on.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

thanks for this

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Those midget gits in Karak Ziflin joins a war against me every time I play Empire within the first 10 turns. I wouldn't say they act very defensive, which is their description in Diplomacy screen.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hryme posted:

Those midget gits in Karak Ziflin joins a war against me every time I play Empire within the first 10 turns. I wouldn't say they act very defensive, which is their description in Diplomacy screen.

The best defense is a good offense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just play no diplomacy empire and attack all of your neighbours like a rabid maniac dog imo

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Haha true.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Unless the enemy is closing in on Ulthuan gates, which you conveniently hold. Chaos assholes just started pouring in and the gates have more or less decimated the stacks which spawn north of Ulthuan.

"Close victory". I don't know if my troops will ever recover from this whooping.

e: Did the patch actually do anything that was supposed to fix chaos gunning straight for player? So far I got stacks from north and south coming straight at me, not giving a good goddamn about anything else.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 12, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Tried to nerf the Beard-Wave in my Vlad/Isabella Southern Vacation game by installing "Green Iz Best!" and "Badlands Balance: Dwarven Sized-based Diplomacy and upkeep penalties"

ITS NOT ENOUGH :lol:

Gonna see if i can add the 3x upkeep for dwarfs ontop of it or if the game breaks then.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's this cool mod that rescripts the War for Eight Peaks by having it so Skarsnik automatically starts in K8P, or Queek does if you decide to play Belegar or Skarsnik. Really neat change, especially since Angrund actually sends out armies into the Badlands now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

After burning Ulthuan to the ground as Teclis, I really think they should have every faction do the same thing as Norsca where if you pound the head nerd of whatever faction in a fight you get an almost sure thing for confederation. None of the high elfs surrendered, and I just occupied it all myself, except Lothern which I spite razed before colonizing it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

After burning Ulthuan to the ground as Teclis, I really think they should have every faction do the same thing as Norsca where if you pound the head nerd of whatever faction in a fight you get an almost sure thing for confederation. None of the high elfs surrendered, and I just occupied it all myself, except Lothern which I spite razed before colonizing it.

Why would they ever confederate with a traitor?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sassassin posted:

Why would they ever confederate with a traitor?

The AI loves declaring war, roping the player into conflicts, and then promptly getting their asses beat to death. I just wanted to lap up delicious trade contracts so I could more easily genocide some lizards and rats.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Very helpful.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hey, great work on this! Always wondered if Scorch was worth the points and winds, and turns out it really was as pointless as it seemed. On the other hand, Crack's Call being awesome is great to know, particularly because it's an AP spell.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
With High Magic you just bring Apotheosis and Tempest. Apotheosis has a low cooldown so you just keep healing your key units and triggering Shield of Saphery. On the off chance your opponent brings a flying general, you get a free win with Tempest. People really shouldn't bring flying generals against HElves, but sometimes people can't help themselves and they put Malekith on a dragon. One regular cast of tempest will also destroy a unit of Harpies.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 12, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

New Butt Order posted:

Clan Angrund purely exists to be a challenge option for masochists. He's just "Dwarfs, but objectively worse."

This is my campaign right now. Thorgrim is taking over the badlands so quickly it might take a civil war to get K8P. (I'll probably start a civil war anyways.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ynglaur posted:

This is my campaign right now. Thorgrim is taking over the badlands so quickly it might take a civil war to get K8P. (I'll probably start a civil war anyways.)

I don't think there's a single matchup in the game more boring than dwarf vs dwarf. :smith:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I miss early release when the badlands was a coinflip whether dwarves or greenskins would come out on top, then they did something to the auto resolve around the time the bonus unit packs came out to stop monsters from dying to militia and suddenly dwarves won the badlands every time.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Greenskins basically ended my first and second campaigns as the VC when game 1 came out but I haven't seen them do this good since. I think it was the regiments of renown that started to tilt it in the dwarfs favor.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Beard Tide stuff is interesting.

I've tried to avoid the Old World in ME and it is all Elf all the time.

Tyrion is just an unstoppable force that conquers all of Ulthuan, Lustria and Nagarond by turn 150 unless I intercede.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The climate system is making me dislike both campaigns. I know it's been a well trodden point of discussion already in this thread, but it feels badly implemented. The penalties for unpleasant seem too harsh, and who prefers what is a bit head scratching. Takes away from the sandboxy nature of the campaign I think.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xae posted:

The Beard Tide stuff is interesting.

I've tried to avoid the Old World in ME and it is all Elf all the time.

Tyrion is just an unstoppable force that conquers all of Ulthuan, Lustria and Nagarond by turn 150 unless I intercede.

I wish there was a way to change this based on your starting faction. Beardtide as Queek is kind of interesting, but as Empire having your relatively natural allies Elves and Dwarfs just swarm everything makes it a lot less fun. Somehow setting it so that Greenskins or Dark Elves were somewhat favored to win if you picked Empire or Bretonnia might make it ok, though I also don't like making the game play similarly every time.

Either way, the AI mod that makes them respect climate in raze vs settle decisions helps some, but I want to see it even more impactful. Having a wide or narrow range of climates should be part of a faction's balancing. Greenskins should have a lot wider range of acceptable climates than Dwarfs, which might help stem the Beards too. If the entire Badlands are yellow to Dwarfs, leaving them only the mountainholds, but both mountains and Badlands are green for Greenskins (and the AI mod is enabled), then maybe the Greenskins swarm around a lot more and constantly bounce back from defeats while the Dwarfs are still as tough to crack as they are now but each settlement loss hurts them more.

Also, ruins left alone for x turns should have the chance to spawn a new Skaven faction there.

E:. Maybe reduce the penalty for unpleasant slightly, because as-is you have to really, really want that province to make it worthwhile to take while the AI seems to not give a poo poo, either as far as decisions go or as far as penalties go.

E2:. vvvvv yeah, they really should at least be yellow to everything kind of like how Queek in ME is green to most things. Maybe not Athel Loren, but giving the "swarming" races better settlement options could help them in the campaign level a lot. I like the idea of seeing the Badlands be a mix of intertwined Dwarf and Greenskin settlements as the Dwarfs keep the holds in the mountains while the Greenskins take everything else around them. Restrict the Dwarfs so that the only climate they find acceptable is Mountain and everything else is unpleasant or uninhabitable, turn on the AI mod, and see what happens. There's no reason to be bound by a "balanced" 3 green, 3 yellow, 3 red climate profile, especially with the AI.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 12, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I find it odd that the greenskins dislike junglers.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

In Hearts of Iron IV when you select your nation at the start of a campaign you can also adjust sliders that give material and military bonuses to various AIs, so you can tweak their performance a bit to their liking. I think something like that, but perhaps affecting aggression and auto-resolve, would be a neat feature for Total War.

Also I've been playing Delves for the first time and holy god does it suck some serious rear end to not have global recruitment. Black Arks are not a sufficient replacement

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 12, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fuligin posted:

In Hearts of Iron IV when you select your nation at the start of a campaign you can also adjust sliders that give material and military bonuses to various AIs, so you can tweak their performance a bit to their liking. I think something like that, but perhaps affecting aggression and auto-resolve, would be a neat feature for Total War.

Also I've been playing Delves for the first time and holy god does it suck some serious rear end to not have global recruitment. Black Arks are not a sufficient replacement
Well, that'd be a simple solution for a lot of ME campaign complaints, or a mod that let you make easily-altered text edits for the same.

As for DElves: you basically always want to take slaves after a battle. Not only do you boost your economic growth, but the replenishment can be insane, especially once you start stacking the Death Hag replenishment bonus, a Lord's +slaves bonus, and the Black Ark aura. Once Malekith and a Hag hit a combined level 15 or so, as long as a unit didn't get wiped out completely, it was usually back to full or almost full after taking on slaves. If they are wiped out, yeah, the options are more limited, but I'm pretty sure you can get Shades and monsters, which helps as long as you baby your core of spears/swords/shards/elite infantry. It's definitely worth pulling an almost dead unit out of combat so you can replenish it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It'd be kinda cool to just have an option that lets you pick an opposing faction as the designated big other guy for the campaign. So if you wanted to play as the Dwarves and have a massive apocalyptic battle with the High Elves then you'd select that and then know while you're mucking about in the Old World, Tyrion and Teclis are building up, having an easier time with their enemies and confederating, eventually coming to invade you. If you want to play as the Empire fighting the largest uprising of the Beastmen and Chaos ever then you select them and set about defending your lands from the ravening hordes, etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sasgrillo posted:

The climate system is making me dislike both campaigns. I know it's been a well trodden point of discussion already in this thread, but it feels badly implemented. The penalties for unpleasant seem too harsh, and who prefers what is a bit head scratching. Takes away from the sandboxy nature of the campaign I think.

They're nowhere near restrictive enough. WH1 had the perfect system for keeping the campaign map from becoming tedious garbage after ~50 turns.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
At the very least I'd like a system where factions view a certain area as "theirs", so for example the odd tendency of Middenland to send forces against Moussilon and northern Bretonnian duchies will have the native Bretonnians getting pissed at them instead of liking them for attacking a common enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The ai isn't smart enough to play the game well with numbers, preferences, penalties, public order, an actual economy etc.

It's only ever going to give decent results with simple yes you can/no you can't limitations.