Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Are you not just drawing lines of fences with prop line tool, with fence mode on?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694512541

gently caress me, i wont get that hour back. thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Twlight posted:

gently caress me, i wont get that hour back. thank you

Oh god please don't tell me you were hand placing and rotating fencing one prop at a time??

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Oh god please don't tell me you were hand placing and rotating fencing one prop at a time??

I was placing three, then copy and pasting them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm having a weird issue with residential housing size that I can't figure out. I am using Ploppable RICO and also WG Realistic Pop. Low-density residential ploppables all have a household size of either 1 or 2, even where the ploppable should have a higher amount. I have tried setting this manually using the "add local" function in RICO settings but that doesn't change it. Anyone know what I need to do? I know I have solved this in the past but can't remember how.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I see this is on humblebundle for :10bux:. Should I be picking this up given that I like simulators? Also will I survive running the game with only 8 gigs of ram?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Devian666 posted:

I see this is on humblebundle for :10bux:. Should I be picking this up given that I like simulators? Also will I survive running the game with only 8 gigs of ram?

I played this tons with 8 gigs. If you try and load up on mods and assets, you will likely run into trouble but a moderate amount of modding is certainly possible. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy Moly I can't even recognize half the assets. Why can't the base vanilla game look like this? I hope one day someone makes a city building game where anyone can get results this realistic looking.

Cork By vokepasa21

Here's a whole gallery. I can see it's skylines, I can see about half the assets, but the rest is wizardry.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052169881/screenshots/?appid=255710#scrollTop=0

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 10, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

Holy Moly I can't even recognize half the assets. Why can't the base vanilla game look like this? I hope one day someone makes a city building game where anyone can get results this realistic looking.

Cork By vokepasa21

:vince:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Cork By vokepasa21

A big part of what this guy is doing is using ultimate eyecandy to disable tone mapping, then turning down his direct and ambient lighting in order to prevent the whites from being incredibly over saturated. The problem is that it makes everything look overcast at all times, but I imagine that some people will think that it's worth it.

Here's a quick comparison, first with tonemapping on

and off

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

The problem is that it makes everything look overcast at all times, but I imagine that some people will think that it's worth it.

Not a big problem when you're modeling Cork !

Obviously his custom lighting and LUT poo poo helps the realism look, but even without that, that's an insane level of plopping and detailing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The ability to recreate the Dresden Suspension Railway is finally here.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1196037606

Baronjutter posted:

Not a big problem when you're modeling Cork !

Obviously his custom lighting and LUT poo poo helps the realism look, but even without that, that's an insane level of plopping and detailing.

I imagine that your town would look about that good if you were also running Satellite LUT with tonemapping disabled.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That suspended thing is super cool, if I was modeling Japan or something, it's too modern for Dresden or Wuppertal. Really hoping someone makes a turn of the century version so I can go and toss elephants into the river.

Cork dude is on a level way above me I feel. I'm proud of my current little town but it's slow going, his Cork recreation is HUGE and seems consistently detailed. Recreating a real place as accurately as he did is also super impressive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, I hadn't seen the gallery before now. That's loving insane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's sounding like the RICO mod guy is MIA :(
This is a long term problem with essential big mods. Even if someone like Boformer or Bloody Penguin are listed as authors only the actual owner of the steam account who uploaded it can update it. It would be so nice if steam allowed joint ownership of mods so teams didn't need to rely on one person.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ah, that Cork guy is using the Overcast - Natural LUT. After a couple of minutes of messing with settings,

Baronjutter posted:

It's sounding like the RICO mod guy is MIA :(
This is a long term problem with essential big mods. Even if someone like Boformer or Bloody Penguin are listed as authors only the actual owner of the steam account who uploaded it can update it. It would be so nice if steam allowed joint ownership of mods so teams didn't need to rely on one person.

Fortunately the RICO mod is open source, and if Rush Hour was any example, there are enough people who are savvy enough to take over for existing mod authors when it comes to patches.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's a video of that Cork city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwgxzVvpxyQ

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Rahhhh even with these tiny custom roads and their tight geometry, I can't fill in my downtown carscape without any big traffic jams appearing. And this is with only 30k inhabitants :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Skycraper kitty-corner to a single family house cut off from the rest of the city by a jammed sewer of cars. *america.jpg*

And yeah the scale of traffic in skylines is hosed. They wanted to give us a reason to build super highways and subways in 10k towns so they jacked the traffic way the heck up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I tried out that crazy Chinese economy mod, and while it appeared to do something, it changes the simulation so much that a lot of other mods make it kind of implode unless you're using the author's settings for them, which haven't been provided so :shrug:

I finally started playing the actual game for the first time in like 200 in game hours, making a little sperg fort on a hill by the coast.

That is some impressively low FPS.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You guys are making me not want to play this game cause my lovely grid city looks like trash.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

turn off the TV posted:

I tried out that crazy Chinese economy mod, and while it appeared to do something, it changes the simulation so much that a lot of other mods make it kind of implode unless you're using the author's settings for them, which haven't been provided so :shrug:

I finally started playing the actual game for the first time in like 200 in game hours, making a little sperg fort on a hill by the coast.

That is some impressively low FPS.

I seriously thought the first image was an actual photo you were using as a reference, and not an in-game screenshot. Very cool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

Looks great but you gotta lower some of those buildings that have doors like 5' up off the ground.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Popete posted:

You guys are making me not want to play this game cause my lovely grid city looks like trash.

If it helps, I'm almost at 1250 hours played. Making weird gimmick cities and loving around with the map editor is pretty much all I do at this point.

Baronjutter posted:

Looks great but you gotta lower some of those buildings that have doors like 5' up off the ground.

They were at the right height, but the sea wall behind them was a bit messed up. They're looking better right now.

Here's another shot with more buildings by the water. I need to figure out how to dump the textures of the theme I'm using so I can increase their brightness in order to unfuck the lighting, but alas I haven't had much luck.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:smith:

(I really like looking at all the cool stuff other people manage to do, amazing)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Are there any good resources out there on city planning and roadway design that would inform my Cities Skylines grabassery? I love this game but a lot of the time I feel like so many of the problems I run into are 1) avoidable, and 2) solved, just hidden away out there for use by actual city planners.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Are there any good resources out there on city planning and roadway design that would inform my Cities Skylines grabassery? I love this game but a lot of the time I feel like so many of the problems I run into are 1) avoidable, and 2) solved, just hidden away out there for use by actual city planners.

NACTO guides might be good for inspiration:

https://nacto.org/publications/design-guides/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

If it helps, I'm almost at 1250 hours played. Making weird gimmick cities and loving around with the map editor is pretty much all I do at this point.

They were at the right height, but the sea wall behind them was a bit messed up. They're looking better right now.

Here's another shot with more buildings by the water. I need to figure out how to dump the textures of the theme I'm using so I can increase their brightness in order to unfuck the lighting, but alas I haven't had much luck.

Some of those "lugo" buildings might work well in this town, it already has a slightly mediterranean feel. I wish there were more non-wall-to-wall euro buildings on the workshop. Like little detatched shops and apartment houses and things without just blank fire walls on the sides.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've been wanting to edit a few of the assets/ploppables that I've downloaded from the workshop, but I'm not having much luck finding a good how-to guide.

Is there an up to date guide that explains how to change all of the values of a downloaded asset/ploppable? I want to change most of them to be less cheaty while still keeping their appearance the same. I've got the deluxe edition plus Green Cities, if that matters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Highways? We don't even need more than 2 lanes. This is the only road into the entire city, it's normally light and free flowing, this was only after constructing a lot of residential buildings while on pause.

Making an office-heavy area, was inspired by Cork to play around with overlapping buildings more. Works with ugly modern buildings fairly well.

Griddy area, but I love using these 1-way streets with parking to get that realistic cars parked everywhere look.

The seaside village got a small train station and a local bus route, it's quite well used and I have a couple cute 2-car smol bois working the line

Defensive planters added to keep peds safe from the evils of the car and the truck.

Need a fully detached building? Why not mash two L shaped buildings together!

The whole city so far. It's slow going but I'm doing something a little new with each block and detailing is fun.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I managed to reach the number of items cap.

I feel somehow proud.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to block all buildings in the city from levelling up, without individually selecting their max level using the control building level up mod?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to block all buildings in the city from levelling up, without individually selecting their max level using the control building level up mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924884948

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God I wish we could have zoneable roads with built-in retaining walls, or if the seawalls in the game weren't so thick and could be placed right up to the edge of things, and if buildings didn't auto-morph the terrain to be flat around them. It's super hard to build anything terraced without huge ridiculously thick walls.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

God I wish we could have zoneable roads with built-in retaining walls, or if the seawalls in the game weren't so thick and could be placed right up to the edge of things, and if buildings didn't auto-morph the terrain to be flat around them. It's super hard to build anything terraced without huge ridiculously thick walls.

Here's a zoneable road with built-in (brick) retaining walls: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1186715899

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Since there's no road markings on my test roads I decided to start hand-plopping everything. The more you get your sperg on, the better this game starts to look:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Makes sense, everything in real cities is hand-plopped too..

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Has someone, or can someone make a map based on The Zone from Stalker?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fall Dog posted:

Has someone, or can someone make a map based on The Zone from Stalker?

I saw on the skylines reddit someone is doing this at this exact moment.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm enjoying playing a map with a very brown color theme and using the surface painter to create low-effort cultivated fields outside of the town:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You hand making those fences or they part of the lots? Love the way the pipes naturally curve and the development forms around it.