Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz said at one point that a pop has exactly 100 people. A battleship is about as large as an articulated bus and a corvette is about as big as a motorcycle. These are official numbers and real quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Baronjutter posted:

Wiz said at one point that a pop has exactly 100 people. A battleship is about as large as an articulated bus and a corvette is about as big as a motorcycle. These are official numbers and real quotes.

I think I remember this. The implication is that, despite a world with 'billions of people', there's really only about 100 intelligent ones in it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Stellaris - Self Righteous Idiocracy Worship

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Xemloth posted:

What if there was an ascension perk for purifiers etc which gave them an increased buff but set them to forever war with everybody as soon as it's taken

Essentially, a perk to turn yourself into a crisis? I like it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The uplift tech is a pre-req for Xenomorphs, so it's not completely useless for Devouring Swarms/purifiers (and machine empires can't get it). Hive minds get a 1.25 weight multiplier for the xenomorph tech too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Admiral Ray posted:

It'd have to be a fuckoff huge leviathan to be a real threat.

Living, rogue planet. Gimme fuckin' Unicron!!:black101:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Staltran posted:

The uplift tech is a pre-req for Xenomorphs, so it's not completely useless for Devouring Swarms/purifiers (and machine empires can't get it). Hive minds get a 1.25 weight multiplier for the xenomorph tech too.

Oh, this makes sense; I guess that's how I got the xenomorph tech. Still, they could just substitute uplift for something else, or remove it entirely increase the cost of xenomorph tech for devouring swarms.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

What happens if I'm a feudal empire and I get satelitted by an awakened empire? Do I lose all my vassals to the AE? how do I get all of my vassals back once decadence sets in?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It’s 2315 ish in my one planet game, my dyson sphere is partially complete, and I’m 18 planets shy of a domination victory.

My current rival has exactly 18 settled planets in his territory

My federation allies won’t vote yes if I try to vassalize them though.

I know what to do:

Leave the federation, shatter their empires, then declare on my rival.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My empire is still very small, just two planets and a couple of outposts. There's a primitive culture that I can enlighten but if they get their own sovereignty that will take a big bite out of my domain. They're also going to be sandwiched between me and some expansionists xenos that are next door. Is there enough of an upside to balance out the loss, or should I let them just spend eternity riding on horseback and fighting with swords?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

My empire is still very small, just two planets and a couple of outposts. There's a primitive culture that I can enlighten but if they get their own sovereignty that will take a big bite out of my domain. They're also going to be sandwiched between me and some expansionists xenos that are next door. Is there enough of an upside to balance out the loss, or should I let them just spend eternity riding on horseback and fighting with swords?

After ~9 years you can integrate them into your society. Make sure you make them the right political types - like materialist or whatever first.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

If you enlighten them, they start as your vassal/protectorate and will fight on your side in wars. Then after 10 years you can integrate them with a unity cost.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

LordMune posted:

Hey, could you elaborate on this? Synthetic Dawn ended up being a bigger project than originally planned, so it's really useful for us to know where your focus is when you define value, if you found it lacking.

Sorry for the late response, but to me it just adds a very optional, kinda lacking addition to the game. I played as synthetics briefly, found it lacking, and found myself playing organics exclusively again. Because I'm not playing a synthetic race, the dlc has added next to nothing.

I really loved the broad-scope additions of Utopia, and that's the kind of DLC I like to buy, but going forward I'll probably pass on dlc I suspect of having a narrow focus like synthetic dawn.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The DLC's all cheap enough, specially when on sale, to just get it and don't worry. Wiz gotta eat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I offered to trade star charts with the two civs I've met, and they agreed and holy poo poo the map feels so huge now. ICONS EVERYWHERE! :supaburn:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The DLC's all cheap enough, specially when on sale, to just get it and don't worry. Wiz gotta eat.

I've got a very limited entertainment budget and this attitude only works if you've got that kind of money to spend. If paradox wants poor and discerning people's money they're gonna have to like, justify it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think when you consider what is in the entire package the latest DLC was definately worth the price. Paradox DLC's come as two parts: a free upgrade to the core gameplay & a paid addition with new kinds of gameplay. Other games from other developers would put this kind of content out together as an expansion pack (back when expansion packs were still a thing) where you typically got a new mechanic or class or something that changed the core gameplay along with a new map or campaign that was new gameplay. The free DLC you get now is a better deal for everybody: you get to keep playing multiplayer even if you don't buy the paid DLC, Paradox only has to bugfix 1 version of the game, and mod authors don't usually have to make different versions of their mods depending on which DLC you have. The downside to splitting the DLC into free / paid portions is that the price has to stay the same (maybe even increase a little since there are some people who would have paid for a combined DLC but not the split one) so the paid DLC by itself has to cost what a combined DLC expansion pack would have.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's weird because I thought people hate "must have" DLCs that mainly improve gameplay so they don't have to pay for "fixing the game"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It depends on whether the game is fun beforehand, adding extra great content to an already good game is more or less the ideal DLC.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm really mixed on the Paradox model. I mean, on one hand, the people in the company need to be paid each month and so it makes perfect sense to have a model that, you know, supports that sort of constant low-level income.

But it means you have the sorta absurd situation where to get into EUIV or CK2 you have to spend hundreds of dollars, which is just crazy. Like the crab who didn't notice that the heat turned up, I didn't notice all those DLCs (I mean, I'm gonna buy Jade Dragon for CK2 the moment it comes out) but it makes things way more inpenetrable than if it was just "Ye ole expansion" 1&2 like in the old days.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm really mixed on the Paradox model. I mean, on one hand, the people in the company need to be paid each month and so it makes perfect sense to have a model that, you know, supports that sort of constant low-level income.

But it means you have the sorta absurd situation where to get into EUIV or CK2 you have to spend hundreds of dollars, which is just crazy. Like the crab who didn't notice that the heat turned up, I didn't notice all those DLCs (I mean, I'm gonna buy Jade Dragon for CK2 the moment it comes out) but it makes things way more inpenetrable than if it was just "Ye ole expansion" 1&2 like in the old days.

I think this argument only holds weight because the base game isn't heavily discounted at this point. If you could jump into EU4 or CK2 for say 10 bucks and get 10-20 hours into deciding if you're willing to dump 75+ hours into, which starts to justify the full package price, then I'd be all aboard the pricing scheme. They do get put on sale regularly but with a base price of 40 (on Steam as of today) it's just ridiculous after they're several full price DLC packages in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah at the point where there's a bunch of DLC it is better to wait for a sale.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bholder posted:

It's weird because I thought people hate "must have" DLCs that mainly improve gameplay so they don't have to pay for "fixing the game"

At this point I'm almost of the opposite opinion, in that I'd prefer Paradox just make these DLCs mandatory. Now that'd be an unfair model to switch back to now, and it would create all sorts of backlash, so it'd be a bad idea. But looking at EU4 - where there's a lot of features that seem like they could play together much better but don't because they're separate DLC content - I suspect the game would be better if it was one unified package (which was the case for EU3 I think).

It helps that thus far the DLC for Stellaris has all been top-notch work, tip of the hat to the dev team for that. I'm happy to pay a couple hundred bucks over a few years to keep that stuff coming.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

basic hitler posted:

I've got a very limited entertainment budget and this attitude only works if you've got that kind of money to spend. If paradox wants poor and discerning people's money they're gonna have to like, justify it.

Poor and discerning is neither a large nor valuable market segment within PC Gamers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Ray posted:

We never get to know how much a pop is but I like to believe it's a billion for advanced species and a million for idiot dog poo poo snacks.

My personal calculation:

From the industrial age forward: 200 million per pop
Renaissance and higher: 20 million per pop
Below Renaissance: 2 million per pop
Pre-sapient: 200k per pop

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, EUIV is kind of nuts with DLC. I bought a couple, but as I saw how much the rest costs, the game was just kind of drained of fun for me. I wanted a lot of that stuff, but I didn't want to pay that much to get all of it. So I just stopped playing.

On the other hand, with the exception of the Plantoid DLC (I grabbed that one on a sale), I always buy every Stellaris-DLC as soon as it comes out and think nothing about it. And I'm sure it's just me being bad at math, but Stellaris DLC seems to be cheaper than EUIV DLC. (Could be me liking space 4x more than nation simulators, though. :v: )

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Oh, this makes sense; I guess that's how I got the xenomorph tech. Still, they could just substitute uplift for something else, or remove it entirely increase the cost of xenomorph tech for devouring swarms.

The terror induced by uplifting primitives to the point where they understand they're nothing but food is what makes it so tasty.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

basic hitler posted:

Sorry for the late response, but to me it just adds a very optional, kinda lacking addition to the game. I played as synthetics briefly, found it lacking, and found myself playing organics exclusively again. Because I'm not playing a synthetic race, the dlc has added next to nothing.

I really loved the broad-scope additions of Utopia, and that's the kind of DLC I like to buy, but going forward I'll probably pass on dlc I suspect of having a narrow focus like synthetic dawn.
Thanks for the reply, it's been enlightening. While I strongly disagree that Synthetic Dawn adds "next to nothing" for non-Machine players, that's a messaging/marketing issue (a difficult one) on the divide between paid and free content and that's on us, not the player.

Hopefully one day we'll put out a Story Pack that's more to your tastes! And even if not, other types of DLC are not going away.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For me ideally the way Paradox DLC would work is that the latest 2 DLC's for a game are full price, the 3 after that are 50% off as a standard and everything before that is almost free.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If I had not gotten into CK2 with a package of "Old Gods and everything before it at a reasonable price" I would never have gotten into Paradox games at all and the only reason I even got them was due to the LPs (especially the Wiz ones).

I wouldn't have cared to play some bupkis Irishman when I could finally play as a Norseman and in fact for the first year or so I don't think I played, uh, any Christians, ever.

Them regularly including their games in Humble Bundles is also really clever, though they conned me into getting this one full price before that came out. Now that Wiz is getting really serious into revamping it and creating hyperlanes only, I'm actually vaguely hopeful that at a future point I'd actually buy all that DLC, because it looks like it will be a way better game than it is now

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
The new hyperlanes and border revamp looks good. I hope Wiz get it right.
A more dynamic border play like HOI4 would be good, where you fight for each star system(province).

Now it's just to use Wormhole, capture the easiest and least defended planets to get 100% warscore and demand the most productive planets as reward.

I do want to try EU4 & CK2 also, but price for full game is out of control.
Maybe a full package with all the lastest DLC's for a reasonable price would help people getting started.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand, these DLCs can get expensive. On the other hand, I have all the stellaris DLC and when my friends want to play I host and they mostly only have the base game.

Likewise, one of my friends has EU4, and if I ever wanted to try it, I can just buy the base game for a few bucks on a sale and see what there is to see. :v:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I was just playing a game where two awakened ascendancies formed factions and went to war. I refused to join either side, and the third "screw you guys, we're making our own faction" federation formed with myself and several other AIs.

Despite being vastly outgunned, we instantly won the game because our federation controlled more than 60% of the planets.

Seemed a little bit broken but surely this happens all the time with this event?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, just ignore that window and keep playing if that's what you want.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
The "Victory" window is essentially meaningless.

There is no victory.

Only war, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What are the best weapons in general? I tried hitting autocomplete on my battleships and they did okay(it gave them nothing but matter disintegrators), but then I switched to having a giga cannon and carrier section on my battleships with a rear artillery section with kinetic cannons instead and while having less firepower, they do much better. I also swapped out a bunch of shielding for neurotonium shielding or whatever.

Also, I hadn't noticed it until now, but the snail people totally have a fuckin' hayseed hanging out of their mouths. That rules. They're cute lil hillbilly snailmen.

Edit: is there a better way to get influence than just cheesing the station mandates by making the stations then deleting 4 of each type for whenever a new president is elected, poo poo's obnoxious as hell to acquire considering the scale of my empire.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 12, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

What are the best weapons in general? I tried hitting autocomplete on my battleships and they did okay(it gave them nothing but matter disintegrators), but then I switched to having a giga cannon and carrier section on my battleships with a rear artillery section with kinetic cannons instead and while having less firepower, they do much better. I also swapped out a bunch of shielding for neurotonium shielding or whatever.

Also, I hadn't noticed it until now, but the snail people totally have a fuckin' hayseed hanging out of their mouths. That rules. They're cute lil hillbilly snailmen.

Edit: is there a better way to get influence than just cheesing the station mandates by making the stations then deleting 4 of each type for whenever a new president is elected, poo poo's obnoxious as hell to acquire considering the scale of my empire.
Snailiens are top tier aliens

Plasma + the mass driver tree is the goon approved meta. Once the mass drivers knock out a shield the plasma's shield malus causes all the ships to start focussing fire on the wounded one. The refocusing is no longer instantaneous but it's still good.

Rivals and factions are good influence sources. Also contacting a new empire.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My corvettes have been using missiles, but I'm about to have a tier 2 mass driver that I hope will edge them out. I decided to research mining lasers since they ignore armor but I have no idea what sort of enemies depend on armor.

Also building my first destroyers, because I have a new xenophobe militaristic neighbor that is probably going to need to be squashed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Splicer posted:

Snailiens are top tier aliens

Plasma + the mass driver tree is the goon approved meta. Once the mass drivers knock out a shield the plasma's shield malus causes all the ships to start focussing fire on the wounded one. The refocusing is no longer instantaneous but it's still good.

Rivals and factions are good influence sources. Also contacting a new empire.

poo poo, I'm like 600 years into my game, the only people left are a few liberated empires, my federation, and these two rear end in a top hat empires who teamed up to conquer everything. I keep beating the poo poo out of them with my blob'o'death whenever they declare war though, hard to compete against a giant mass of battleships with about 400k firepower, then I land xenomorph mobs on their planets and kick their asses.

Which is the mass driver tree? Is that the giga cannon? I got that from being a vassal of an awakened empire pretty early but didn't use it until recently. I like the kinetic weaponry, the "chk-chk....THOOM" sound 120 battleships with them make is a real good sound, combined with the rhythmic lowering of the enemy fleet's firepower after every volley. :allears:

As for influence right now I'm in the process of replacing frontier outposts with habitats, that seems to be the way to go for base influence gain outside of the mining/research outpost mandate trick, plus it increases my fleet power and various outputs when I colonize them and specialize them for research and mining.

Is 30k the max for energy credits? I can't seem to find anything else to increase the cap, unlike, say, mining silos for minerals. I'm having to go to the various traders every year or so to dump excess credits for minerals because I'm pulling in 1.5k a month despite replacing a lot of power plants.

Edit: I seem to have a really weird bug where if I see a huge fleet battle, if I zoom out, my galaxy map is absolutely covered in exploding spaceships.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 12, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: I seem to have a really weird bug where if I see a huge fleet battle, if I zoom out, my galaxy map is absolutely covered in exploding spaceships.
That's just the awesome power of your fleet breaking space and time. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I think that's when your comp is getting slowed down and can't clear the assets quick enough? I had the same thing fighting the unbidden, I'd blow up one of their anchors, zoom out, and whoa nelly there's a big rear end anchor and a lot of poo poo blowing up on the galaxy map.

• Locked thread