Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Ocean Book posted:

i think some of the 'parents over-monitor kids these days' comes from too strict legal responsibility for anything bad happening to your kid while you werent watching them for 30 minutes.

thats what i think of when people talk about 'accountability' as the solution to all problems. accountability tends to lead to bureaucracy, documentation, and monitoring beyond the point of reason and the end result is often just a legally standardized scapegoat for inevitable problems.

ya zero tolerance became a bitch during the 90s/2000s since now we treat children as adults and hold the parents criminally liable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Your kid skinned their knee falling off their bike? Looks like you're going to jail, bud.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Skoll posted:

Your kid skinned their knee falling off their bike? Looks like you're going to jail, bud.

It’s kind of almost that bad. My 11yo son was apparently riding his bike too far in the middle of the road and didn’t have his helmet on. The principal of the school called me, angrily, to let me know she’s told him the police would be involved if it ever happened again. Because somehow I’m psychic and instinctively knew he ditched his helmet to look less like a dork the second he’s out of sight of the house. Woo!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Me/my friends just straight up disappeared into a forest for hours at a time pretty much any chance we got and then come back dirty af and possibly bleeding and the only reaction we ever got was "jesus, go wash yourself". Only requirement was saying where we're going.

Also according to studies, if you wear a helmet on a bike you're more likely to get owned by traffic because car people are less cautious around you, but then less likely to get killed if you do get hit. Have fun with that bit of data.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

lemon-lyme disease posted:

It’s kind of almost that bad. My 11yo son was apparently riding his bike too far in the middle of the road and didn’t have his helmet on. The principal of the school called me, angrily, to let me know she’s told him the police would be involved if it ever happened again. Because somehow I’m psychic and instinctively knew he ditched his helmet to look less like a dork the second he’s out of sight of the house. Woo!

gently caress that bitch she doesn't get to principal the streets too!

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
scrambled playboy channel

burial
Sep 13, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

gently caress that bitch she doesn't get to principal the streets too!

But she does, so I groveled appropriately. Never assume they’re bluffing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

lemon-lyme disease posted:

That is insanely super duper lovely. The lovely thing is is as a principal, she has the weight to possibly get your kids taken away.

Truga posted:

Me/my friends just straight up disappeared into a forest for hours at a time pretty much any chance we got and then come back dirty af and possibly bleeding and the only reaction we ever got was "jesus, go wash yourself". Only requirement was saying where we're going.

Same. I was pretty much told, "Just be back by dark.". AKA when the street lights turn on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

So she calls the cops and what, they peel out of the parking lot to stop this crime?

Set up a sting?

Lol I'd have told her to get hosed, I hope your kid grows up to be less terrified of authority.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

One time a friend asked for our teacher's email in class so I gave it to him and thought nothing of it, the teacher had provided it to everyone earlier.

Apparently he emailed him that night and called him a diddler, so the cops got involved and paid him a visit and he got suspended and named me like a dick as the one that gave him the address.

The principal called my dad to say I was going to be suspended as well and my dad very calmly said that was the stupidest poo poo he'd ever heard, and that no, I wouldn't be suspended. If he did choose to proceed I wouldn't be punished.

The principal backed down and it was great.

I always respected my dad but that stands out.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 11, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
School officials are so used to pushing kids around that they think they can do it to their parents too, sometimes.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Pure concentrated 90s right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjI_BXdl_Hc

Just uploaded to celebrate EP's YouTube channel hitting 30,000 subscribers.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I played nothing but Mr. Bucket, non-stop, for most of my formulative years

There's nothing in my memories but blurry faces and the soft sound of crying, the only clarity is Mr. Bucket

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Enough nostalgia, let's make a list of the reasons growing up in the 90s was worse than growing up now:

• Only being able to use the internet for 20-30 minutes at a time because your parents need the phone line (unless you were one of those fat cats who had two phone lines)
  • For every good video game console, there were 10 others that were trying to wedge in. 3DO, Game.com, Atari Jaguar, etc.
  • Cartridge games cost $70-80 loving dollars
  • Basic Cable was the only cable.
  • Cartoon Network sucked for the first 4-5 years, only showed Hannah Barbara reruns. Nick is where it was at in the early-mid to almost late 90s
  • They only had casts back then, now you got those cool braces but if you only mildly broke any bone it gets entombed in a cast.
  • Power windows were a luxury, you mostly cranked it down. And there were no openable windows in vans at all, just those vents.
  • You didn't have Wikipedia or Google, Encarta was your source of homework knowledge
  • Speaking of, people were making GBS threads themselves with excitement over "multimedia", aka here's a 2 second sound file of a trumpet that you can click on and it'll play while you look at an article about trumpets

feel free to contribute.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Every friday night in the early 90s my dad would take me out to Blockbuster to rent a video game. That was always the greatest night of the week. I'd walk through that place and just be in awe at all the cool art on the covers. Then after I got a game we'd go to Little Caesars next door and I'd go home and play the game all night and eat pizza.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Korthal posted:

Enough nostalgia, let's make a list of the reasons growing up in the 90s was worse than growing up now:

• Only being able to use the internet for 20-30 minutes at a time because your parents need the phone line (unless you were one of those fat cats who had two phone lines)
  • For every good video game console, there were 10 others that were trying to wedge in. 3DO, Game.com, Atari Jaguar, etc.
  • Cartoon Network sucked for the first 4-5 years, only showed Hannah Barbara reruns. Nick is where it was at in the early-mid to almost late 90s
  • They only had casts back then, now you got those cool braces but if you only mildly broke any bone it gets entombed in a cast.
  • Power windows were a luxury, you mostly cranked it down. And there were no openable windows in vans at all, just those vents.
  • You didn't have Wikipedia or Google, Encarta was your source of homework knowledge
  • Speaking of, people were making GBS threads themselves with excitement over "multimedia", aka here's a 2 second sound file of a trumpet that you can click on and it'll play while you look at an article about trumpets

feel free to contribute.

you had to carry a walkman and you couldn't pick the song you wanted to listen to and if you needed to find out something on the internet you had to go all the way back home, good luck getting directions too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://vimeo.com/185844728

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

do kids still doorbell ditch? that and crank calling were good fun. just keep ringing the same doorbell and calling the same number yelling about adolf hitler calling people shiB kopfs or whatever

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Korthal posted:

feel free to contribute.

None of these are a negative to me cept the phone line and game cart prices.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
As a kid I just got games on floppies from friends, and post 95 by searching doom.arj or quake.rar on ftpsearch.lycos.com :filez:

Korthal posted:

feel free to contribute.

look at this feudal lord, with access to cable and CN, lmbo

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Korthal posted:

feel free to contribute.

Yeah this list is weak. They say the best decade is the one you grew up in but was there seriously anything that bad about the 90s? Seems like most people agree they were pretty cool especially compared to what came afterwards

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

g0lbez posted:

Yeah this list is weak. They say the best decade is the one you grew up in but was there seriously anything that bad about the 90s? Seems like most people agree they were pretty cool especially compared to what came afterwards

It was right when the information age boom started rapidly gaining momentum, and we were at that sweet spot where we still had enough humbling experiences that weren't hindered by modern convenience, and were constantly agog at the technological advances in media, games, communications, computers, warfare, medicine etc....

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The single computer per classroom that you had to book time on/share, plus the dedicated ~computer lab~. Teachers would almost bust out white cotton gloves before touching the things. I remember the school had a fantastically expensive computer vacuum cleaner and a dropped just shy of a grand on a webcam and it was amazing.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
I have early memories of playing flash games on Cartoon Network's website.
I do not remember a time without "highspeed" internet.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

gently caress yeah. when tapes started phasing out, one of my first CDs was MTV's Buzz Bin which had this on it and a bunch of other cool poo poo I would not have discovered on my own. still one of my favorite songs.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Magius1337est posted:

you had to carry a walkman and you couldn't pick the song you wanted to listen to and if you needed to find out something on the internet you had to go all the way back home, good luck getting directions too

I do not remember cassettes and having a Walkman fondly. Making mix tapes so you wouldn't have to carry the whole album around could be a neat experience. Especially if you nailed it and made a really good one. Having to carry around a bunch of tapes sucked. Budgeting your battery time was a pain in the rear end too. Sure, you could get Nicad rechargeables but they were expensive, took forever to charge, had shittier life than alkalines and had a very limited number of charge cycles before they were useless.

Once your tape started slowing down and you had no volume there was the old FM radio. But by then the batteries were so hosed you barely had any volume. Then mom would be pissed once she figured out where all the batteries in the remote controls were going. Another pain in the rear end thing for the poor kids like me was waiting there with my boombox listening to the radio. Record and pause button pressed waiting for the song I wanted to come on. Cause I sure as hell wasn't gonna be getting a $20 CD anytime soon. Unless I scammed Columbia house or BMG again. I must have signed up for the 20 CDs for a penny deal 5 times. Till I ran out of neighbor's to send them too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

finalellipsis posted:

gently caress yeah. when tapes started phasing out, one of my first CDs was MTV's Buzz Bin which had this on it and a bunch of other cool poo poo I would not have discovered on my own. still one of my favorite songs.

I credit a CD I got for free at Hot Topic for introducing me to The Living End so that store gets a lifetime pass from me no matter how cringily they cater to hipsters

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I must have signed up for the 20 CDs for a penny deal 5 times. Till I ran out of neighbor's to send them too.

Excellent

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HELLBITCH posted:

I have early memories of playing flash games on Cartoon Network's website.
I do not remember a time without "highspeed" internet.

in high school my only home internet access was dialup. we had these things called "download managers" which would allow you to pause and restart downloads across online sessions. it could easily take 24+ hours to download a large file over 56k internet, at a blazing speed of 4kb/s if you were lucky

my friends who lived closer to town had high speed internet, which in those days was ISDN or lovely cable. you'd pull download speeds of 100kb/s or more, which was mind blowing. i'd sleep over at their houses and play shooters all night long, until dawn

i didn't have high speed internet of my own until i went off to college, where the dorms were connected directly to a major internet backbone. this was also the year bittorrent came out, and our university IT department had no idea what it was or how fast it could go. that was a good year

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I do not remember cassettes and having a Walkman fondly. Making mix tapes so you wouldn't have to carry the whole album around could be a neat experience. Especially if you nailed it and made a really good one. Having to carry around a bunch of tapes sucked. Budgeting your battery time was a pain in the rear end too. Sure, you could get Nicad rechargeables but they were expensive, took forever to charge, had shittier life than alkalines and had a very limited number of charge cycles before they were useless.

cassettes are poo poo compared to CDs even. all the advantages cassettes had have been replaced by better medium. i've seen some indie music being released on cassette now along with vinyl, and i dont get it. vinyl still has a lot of appeal for listening to music at home, it's excellent for your living room stereo. cassettes aren't good for anything today except retro nostalgia

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

boner confessor posted:

cassettes are poo poo compared to CDs even. all the advantages cassettes had have been replaced by better medium. i've seen some indie music being released on cassette now along with vinyl, and i dont get it. vinyl still has a lot of appeal for listening to music at home, it's excellent for your living room stereo. cassettes aren't good for anything today except retro nostalgia

They teach valuable skills like how to splice tape and to always keep a pencil around.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

Cassette has this niche in indie because the recording equipment is really cheap, and it's lo fi. I've known of a few bands locally that scored cassette recording equipment for super cheap, and it sounds like trash because it introduces completely unpredictable noise into the recording if you're using second hand tapes. It's a plus, for some bands. I don't think anyone big is releasing to cassette, at least I hope not.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

boner confessor posted:

The only thing about cassettes I have a fondness for is the clicky-clacky mechanical feel and sounds of them. The way the door snaps shut and springs open. Or goes in and out of a slot loading car stereo. The whirring sounds and clicking the buttons over and over trying to que up a song. That stuff has a certain appeal to me. Cassettes even look kind of cool but that's where the positives end.

Techmoan on YouTube found a few good tape decks and high quality tapes recorded with with good noise reduction. He presented the case that they could actually sound pretty good. That was pretty under the best of conditions and they were still way more trouble than they are worth.

I was over tapes pretty much the day I got a CD-R drive for my computer and I could rip CD's and make mixes.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Skoll posted:

That is insanely super duper lovely. The lovely thing is is as a principal, she has the weight to possibly get your kids taken away.

This! is part of why this

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol I'd have told her to get hosed, I hope your kid grows up to be less terrified of authority.

is an idea that can only be described as woefully moronic. The police/CPS take it pretty seriously when a school principal and whatever witnesses she can drum up decide that you aren’t taking your child’s safety seriously. I’m not “terrified of authority,” I just have the good sense not to give any figure with that kind a pull a reason to make my life more difficult than it needs to be.

I said “I appreciate that you brought this to my attention. We will deal with it and ensure it isn’t a problem in the future” and hung up.

Content! Z-bots were awesome. Especially Neptoon. (Right-most column, five down.) Sure, they were barely articulated plastic junk, but goddamn if my brother and I didn’t look through every pack on the rack on the rare occasions when we were given time to hang out on KB unattended.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

The only thing about cassettes I have a fondness for is the clicky-clacky mechanical feel and sounds of them. The way the door snaps shut and springs open. Or goes in and out of a slot loading car stereo. The whirring sounds and clicking the buttons over and over trying to que up a song. That stuff has a certain appeal to me. Cassettes even look kind of cool but that's where the positives end.

Techmoan on YouTube found a few good tape decks and high quality tapes recorded with with good noise reduction. He presented the case that they could actually sound pretty good. That was pretty under the best of conditions and they were still way more trouble than they are worth.

I was over tapes pretty much the day I got a CD-R drive for my computer and I could rip CD's and make mixes.

wait til you get a casset tape stuck in something

both cassettes and vinyl are just gimmicks nowadays for people trying to look "indie"

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice

Magius1337est posted:

wait til you get a casset tape stuck in something

both cassettes and vinyl are just gimmicks nowadays for people trying to look "indie"

Yeah, I've been there. Anyone who used tapes on a regular basis had a few that got lunched. Vinyl is a different animal. Hipster or not, It sounds different than a CD or digital. For better or worse It's subjective. That's an argument for another thread cause vinyl was gasping it's last in the 90's. Tapes and CDs were more portable, and recordable. CDs sounded great, and were also portable. So that's what we liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
I would hazard a guess that maybe 50% of people gere have never been to a drive-in theater. I used to have some really good, memorable times at the drive-in.

• Locked thread