Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Now that I think about it, the best part of the game was Sexy Watson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

I'll spoiler this since you're a few hours away from it, but...

gently caress the Mayan temple. I skipped through most of it because it was dumb bullshit that didn't even fit the premise of the game. That case was also nothing but loose ends. How the gently caress did a Brazilian dwarf move those mechanized statues, and how the gently caress wasn't the guy who built those statues with super spear throwing action responsible for the corpse at the beginning of the case getting a statue's spear through the back?!

It seems like for every interesting mystery and story beat there was a bullshit part. The best part of the game was the realization that Jon Hamm would make a good Sherlock Holmes, since they obviously modeled Holmes off of Hamm.
Yeah I stopped playing after this case. Why would you make a game about solving mysteries if you aren't going to make any effort into writing solvable ones in the first place? Not a single thing about it made any god drat sense. I kind of assumed they would somehow maybe explain what the gently caress was actually going on later in the game but I didn't have enough faith in the devs to keep going.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

What's even funnier about the frogware games is they literally copy cases from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and it's not particularly fun to play if before even beginning an investigation you already know who did it and why. On the other hand Holmes pissed off Watson by filling the entire flat with bees.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter is all about making deductions and picking the right suspect in a case - but its reasoning doesn't make sense.

In the first case, Prey Tell, I'm being hunted through the woods by a man with a rifle who continually yells at me and quickly chases me down as he shoots. My choices for the suspect are a former soldier with a grudge against the rich and an (apparently) charitable aristocrat that I've proved has tuberculosis. I reasoned that there's no way a dude that's wheezing and coughing up blood was sprinting after me while yelling, so I picked the soldier as the suspect. I was wrong and the game never explains why.

Booooo.

You picked the most obvious suspect in a murder mystery. That's why.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
You're the shittiest Watson to his Sherlock

EDIT: You're the Watson who came up with no poo poo sherlock

Vic has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Nov 9, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vic posted:

#notallkeyboards

Seriously tho this isn't true of most modern keyboards.

It's been true of every keyboard I've used in the last 20 years, including the one I bought last year I'm typing on right now.

What kind are you using?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Generic dragging-down: sandbox games (not exclusively, it happens elsewhere) where you can tell the amount of stuff you still have/want to do is getting way less than the stuff you've already done.

Like, every once in a while I feel like loading up Stardew Valley, but when I do I look at what I've got going on (friends I've cared to befriend, more money than God, five-star evaluation), look at stuff I don't have completed that I don't care for, and the motivation just dries up. I've done too much to find starting over all that interesting, but everything else is stuff I'd only be doing for completionism.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I started playing Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and the camera pan controls are bound to the arrow keys instead of WASD. What is this, 2003?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been playing CS:GO and it made me want to try some other shooters, so I grabbed the cheap multiplayer pack of Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. I'd played the free weekend with Imp Zone people and liked it okay. However, I do not think it's a great multiplayer game. Problems:

- Players aren't labeled well, making it annoying to judge if someone is on your team or not in time.

- There are drones and unmanned vehicles everywhere because of the scorestreak stuff, and it means half the time you're just dying because of robots without encountering another player. And you can't just destroy them with normal guns or anything, which could actually be fun.

- The game's systems are intensely obtuse. It's hard to tell why you died, or didn't die, or what's going on. It is not friendly to new players, and not because the opponents are too good - which is normal for MP shooters, which always have a bit of a barrier to entry - but because the game is unclear.

- There might be class and weapon balance, but it's impossible to tell. Since the game has tons of unlockable classes and weapons and poo poo, rather than just cosmetics, it's hard to know what your opponent can do or what they're using. It's just a player killing you with a class and weapon you don't have any access to or even necessarily know what it does. Two and four of course both contribute to three.

- The game wants you to be constantly moving and using parkour, but maps are cramped, have tons of 90-degree turns, and are pretty campable. This is great in something like Counterstrike, which is all about controlling parts of the map, but it's an issue when combat is mostly turning a corner and hoping you get them before they get you.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

I started playing Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and the camera pan controls are bound to the arrow keys instead of WASD. What is this, 2003?

My 'thing' with H:DoK is that it's very rigid rock-paper-scissors, which is not what Homeworld's about, dang it. Railguns beat Tanks, Tanks beat Buggies, Buggies beat Rails. Homeworld was all about two-way fleet actions: there were both anti-frigate fighters (bombers) and anti-fighter frigates (assault/missile/multibeam), as well as fleet positioning/feinting/hiding and attack angles. I loooooooooove Homeworld (including the heretic black sheep Cataclysm) but DoK got Steam-returned :smith:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Evilreaver posted:

My 'thing' with H:DoK is that it's very rigid rock-paper-scissors, which is not what Homeworld's about, dang it. Railguns beat Tanks, Tanks beat Buggies, Buggies beat Rails. Homeworld was all about two-way fleet actions: there were both anti-frigate fighters (bombers) and anti-fighter frigates (assault/missile/multibeam), as well as fleet positioning/feinting/hiding and attack angles. I loooooooooove Homeworld (including the heretic black sheep Cataclysm) but DoK got Steam-returned :smith:

It's really lacking content, you don't have nearly enough unit variety and the story kind of jumps before the last mission and I really can't shake the feeling that there was something cut there because it goes "and then they traveled with nothing happening for a long while and hey look, they're where they needed to go".

Real shame too since it really feels like a Homeworld game despite the lack of free three dimensional movement. I suppose Gearbox had to gently caress it up somehow and it could have been so much worse.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I just played Smash Brothers Brawl something or other and have never played any of them before. I don't know if this is dragging it down as such but I had and have zero clue what was happening, why I was doing what I was doing, how people win or lose or what that % thing even means.
It was fun but I am literally none the wiser, I know as much about the game now as I did before I played it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

peter gabriel posted:

I just played Smash Brothers Brawl something or other and have never played any of them before. I don't know if this is dragging it down as such but I had and have zero clue what was happening, why I was doing what I was doing, how people win or lose or what that % thing even means.
It was fun but I am literally none the wiser, I know as much about the game now as I did before I played it.

You punch guys off the ledge to kill them and the higher the % the easier it is to kill them. But honestly all that matters is smashing the action figures together in the most :black101: way

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Len posted:

You punch guys off the ledge to kill them and the higher the % the easier it is to kill them. But honestly all that matters is smashing the action figures together in the most :black101: way

What I got from it was you are sort of Tekken in a Nintendo level that zooms around in the background while you watch particle effects for a bit then a winner happens.
I am such a sucker for Nintendo's art that I didn't mind or care, and my son had fun so it's win win

Len posted:

the higher the % the easier it is to kill them

This however is great info and I will use it mercilessly against him

I though it was our health or something :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

It's a lot simpler than it looks, but it gets chaotic if you have all the items and poo poo on. If you're actually playing Brawl - the one on the original Wii - then don't even worry about it, because it has a bunch of deliberate randomness mechanics designed to keep it from being played seriously, so just go nuts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

peter gabriel posted:

You KO other players by knocking them off the stage, either by pushing them into pits or blasting them into the left, right, or top sides. Common game mode is either stock (finite lives, last player standing wins) or time (KOs less falls).

The % is accumulated damage and that impacts how far back they get knocked by your attacks. After a certain point death from your hits is basically inevitable but it's also a big positioning game, especially if they're trying to jump back to the ledge and you can zone them out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ah, OK so I didn't get that it was like , I dunno, a sumo match I guess?
It was fun - it's the Wii U one, I am a Dad now so my role in life is to ask shop keepers things like 'is this the one they all want these days' while waggling a game box at them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Cataclysm was great, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

I wasn't really a fan of the profusion of excellent-against-everything ships that replaced HW1's larger number of more specialized units -- the destroyer and dreadnought have a mix of missiles, beams, and mass drivers that leaves them with no real weaknesses, and the Acolytes and ACVs do double duty as bombers and fighters, and excel in both roles -- but it was still great fun and I should replay it one of these days.

Shame about Homeworld 2 and Deserts of Kharak.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Evilreaver posted:

My 'thing' with H:DoK is that it's very rigid rock-paper-scissors, which is not what Homeworld's about, dang it.

Everyone knows real Homeworld is about massing Salvage Corvettes and using your enemy's fleet against them.

(It's literally the only way to beat the campaign as far as I've ever been able to tell)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

the destroyer and dreadnought have a mix of missiles, beams, and mass drivers that leaves them with no real weaknesses

Literally the only flaw in the master-crafted Cataclysm. I love it to death.

HW2 was okay.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That I can't have Fergus and J at the same time in New Order.

Also that I finally got the platinum in New Order and can't justify buying New Colossus yet since it's gonna a be $25 on black Friday

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

HW2 was okay.

No it wasn't.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just realized something that unreasonably bothers me about Sonic Forces. There's some non-endgame spoilers in here, but I mean c'mon, it's a Sonic game.

One of the earliest story beats we got, both in-game and in the game's pre-release materials, was going up against a set of secondary-to-Eggman villains from older Sonic games; Metal Sonic, Chaos 0, Shadow (specifically Shadow circa Adventure 2 when he was actually a bad guy), and Zavok (from Lost World, which people apparently played). It's a pretty solid lineup of opponents Sonic can have a toe-to-toe fight with, but what bothers me is they kinda fumbled the execution on what they can do with that.

-Zavok gets an early boss fight. It's probably the weakest fight in the game but it's still good.
-Metal Sonic gets a really cool and fun fight with a remix of music from the US Sonic CD soundtrack, which is rad as hell.
-Shadow doesn't get a boss fight, but he gets his own separate campaign, so that's fine.
-Chaos gets chumped in one hit by Classic Sonic in a cutscene that isn't even about that.

C'mon guys, Chaos has the coolest skillset of that whole lineup, don't waste him like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What, no Mephiles?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Within 2 Hey, O'Neal, d'you think you'll ever getting around to cleaning and dressing that gushing head wound of yours?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

What, no Mephiles?

Mephiles murdered Sonic, it is clearly not a fair fight in that case.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Evil Within 2 Hey, O'Neal, d'you think you'll ever getting around to cleaning and dressing that gushing head wound of yours?

He's got a pretty hot take on first aid, actually.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dross posted:

Everyone knows real Homeworld is about massing Salvage Corvettes and using your enemy's fleet against them.

(It's literally the only way to beat the campaign as far as I've ever been able to tell)

AIUI HW1 does some amount of enemy scaling (although it's not as egregious as HW2), so if you steal huge numbers of enemy ships you'll end up facing fleets that require huge numbers of ships to deal with.

I didn't go particularly overboard with salvettes my first time through (although I put a lot of effort into capturing the missile destroyer in Sea of Lost Souls) until the very end, when I captured most of the englobing ion frigates in Bridge of Sighs and showed up at Hiigara with something like 120 ion frigates, which is, it turns out, enough to vaporize the Taiidani command ship more or less instantly.

Evilreaver posted:

Literally the only flaw in the master-crafted Cataclysm. I love it to death.

HW2 was okay.

HW2 was a very pretty trash fire, and I'm sad the fan project to remake HW1 in the HW2 engine never got anywhere. (I know there's HW:Remastered, but that's a direct port; this was new high-poly models and stuff.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
HW Remastered isn't a direct port?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I get that the charm of Octodad is in the awkward controls but it’s super annoying to get seemingly trapped in place, and it’s even worse when the level is too dark to tell if you are completely stuck or not.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tunicate posted:

It's been true of every keyboard I've used in the last 20 years, including the one I bought last year I'm typing on right now.

What kind are you using?

Hahaha look at this scrub who keeps buying keyboards without NKRO.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

I'll spoiler this since you're a few hours away from it, but...

gently caress the Mayan temple. I skipped through most of it because it was dumb bullshit that didn't even fit the premise of the game. That case was also nothing but loose ends. How the gently caress did a Brazilian dwarf move those mechanized statues, and how the gently caress wasn't the guy who built those statues with super spear throwing action responsible for the corpse at the beginning of the case getting a statue's spear through the back?!

It seems like for every interesting mystery and story beat there was a bullshit part. The best part of the game was the realization that Jon Hamm would make a good Sherlock Holmes, since they obviously modeled Holmes off of Hamm.

Just got to this bit and what the christ is this game on?

So Sherlock stands staring at a tiny model of a Mayan temple imagining what's inside it (which means a bunch of dumb sub-Tomb Raider puzzles) and doing this somehow lets him know what happened on the other side of the world 20 years ago?

None of this makes a goddamn bit of sense.

It's a shame because it really looks the part and the bits where you deduce and do detective stuff are fun - but the actual mysteries themselves are loving insane.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Book Sherlock frequently solved murders from his breakfast table by reading the newspapers. As others have said, he had superpowers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

Book Sherlock frequently solved murders from his breakfast table by reading the newspapers. As others have said, he had superpowers.

I don't give a gently caress. A character in a detective murder mystery literally imagining stuff and then concluding who the murderer is from that is plain old lovely writing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Nier Automata

that's it? ok, at least it ended on a good note.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

Nier Automata

that's it? ok, at least it ended on a good note.

You got all the endings right? Playthrough A and B might as well be part 1 of the game and playthrough C is a definite part 2

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

You got all the endings right? Playthrough A and B might as well be part 1 of the game and playthrough C is a definite part 2

I've gotten endings T, U, B, and A. I think it was A anyway, the one where 9S dies. I liked that ending.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

I've gotten endings T, U, B, and A. I think it was A anyway, the one where 9S dies. I liked that ending.

You've gotten three joke endings and one Act ending. You've got a few more to go, so continue onward.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

Yeah that's not the end at all. You play it again as 9s and then poo poo goes off the rails and the story continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Yeah that's not the end at all. You play it again as 9s and then poo poo goes off the rails and the story continues

nnnnnnoooooooo