Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I think at this point not having been here 10+ years like the rest of us should be a badge of honor

:regd03: :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

Carnegie Mellon had the hardware worked out in the early 1990s, I saw their Navlab system drive their HMV autonomously with my own eyes.

The software wasn’t sufficiently worked out then for general autonomy, and almost 25 years later it’s still nowhere close.

GM is building cars with sensors and lots of CPU onboard? That means sensors and CPU are cheap now, not that general autonomy is around the corner. Because if it was you can bet it’d show up at the high end first, and at quite a premium.

I talked with one of the CMU guys from this project back in the day. Rumor was their vision system was not general purpose and ended up 'cheating' by following the oil trails on the roads instead of the traffic lanes. Definitely a case of the researchers overstating their results to secure more funding.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Self driving cars are still stuck at the problem where anything that isn't a self-driving car can cause them problems. They'll work acceptably in cities waaaaay before they'll do the same out where you have to worry about lots of random wildlife big enough to cause problems for cars crossing the road.

I always get really sad when I see even small animals dead on the road, the gore from an 18 wheeler obliterating a deer or something is way worse :smithicide:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 8, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

You can find an article from GM in the 1950s about a self-driving car, but you can't find a 1950s article from GM about how they have already retooled a factory to manufacture self-driving vehicles at assembly line scale.

That article would have been written during a period of pretty strong optimism about what we might eventually do with controls theory. Optimism about what AI or big data might do is not dissimilar.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

Something is Wrong on the Internet

Probably belongs better in a dark futurology thread or something, but I saw the beginnings of this poo poo back when I was working closely with YouTube at my startup and I'm kind of shocked at how prolific it's become. Really expected YT to alter things to make this stuff non-viable, such as they did with titty thumbnails and the like.

Mind, I think he ascribes to a malignant force content which is really just people either feeding the algorithms to generate ad revenue or (in the case of the really bizarre stuff) ten year olds / the mentally ill loving around with media creation suites which are insanely powerful.

I really wish that article had touched on what actually made it unsettling, instead of this weird "think of the children!" bit. There's a far more sinister story of mindless, parasitic capitalism there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What i want to know, is where these people that make the videos buy their data from.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

apokaladle posted:

I really wish that article had touched on what actually made it unsettling, instead of this weird "think of the children!" bit. There's a far more sinister story of mindless, parasitic capitalism there.

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into what the author actually wrote because a lot of it is bullshit (Those poo poo CGI vids don't need a "huge team" as he claims, that hasn't been true for years, and the live action ones are usually done in someones apartment with a greenscreen, for example).

It's interesting because YT hasn't cracked down on their algorithms promoting this bizarre skinner-box hollow "content" yet, and it started really gaining traction like 4 or 5 years ago now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
As we've seen, the tech companies are not interested in effectively moderating anything unless forced to.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Tons of those channels and videos have either been totally banned/deleted, or barred from advertising which might as well be the same thing for those purposes. Thing is since the bar of entry is so very very low, both to adsense eligibility and to making such videos, you're still going to see tons of very similar videos hanging around and turning up.

Then you also have to consider a lot of those that are "so violent" or whatever, are just being made by bored teens and college students - 10 years ago they'd be doing the same quality of animation and content in Flash, on Newgrounds. For those creators, importantly, it doesn't even matter if the videos get demonetized, they're not in it for making money. And it's also not like you'd have a valid reason to delete those off Youtube entirely, there's far worse "real content" on any point you'd care to try to judge them on which is accepted as fine to be on there.

Rime posted:

It's interesting because YT hasn't cracked down on their algorithms promoting this bizarre skinner-box hollow "content" yet, and it started really gaining traction like 4 or 5 years ago now.

But those only really get promoted to you if you've already watched a lot of videos "like" that before. And for that matter, repetitive vacuous content is a hallmark of tons of legit children's programming that's on TV in the first place. Or adult programming, if we're honest.

As a sidenote, the thing with "YouTube Kids" app in particular is that it shows the failure of the blacklist-based filtering method, just like every other implementation of that for the internet at large shows. You can't rely on just blocking the things you don't want, you need to decide what you do want and authorize each bit first. But people wouldn't keep using the YouTube Kids app or any other attempt to provide a "kid-safe" youtube that worked like that, it simply couldn't keep up with the rate "genuine" content comes out and so people would switch back to normal YouTube where their preferred channels can update immediately and then you're back to no filtering.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 12, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

As we've seen, the tech companies are not interested in effectively moderating anything unless forced to.

Like clockwork: Twitter Appears OK with Pizzagate Peddler Doxing Roy Moore’s Accuser

quote:

Right–wing conspiracy peddler Jack Posobiec—the guy who riled up his followers over “Pizzagate” and nearly got someone killed—appears to have gotten away with doxing AL Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore’s accuser.

On Friday, Posobiec tweeted a photo of Leigh Corfman, who accused Moore of sexually assaulting her in 1979 when she was 14 and Moore was a 32–year–old assistant district attorney. Along with a recent photo of Corfman taken from one of her social media accounts, Posobiec included information about Corfman’s last known place of employment.

It was a dog whistle for Posobiec’s #MAGA followers, who would know what to do—just as North Carolina man Edgar Maddison Welch knew what to do when he walked into the Comet Ping Pong pizza shop in Chevy Chase, MD, last December armed with an AR–15 to save the “children” from a fake Clinton–Podesta pedophilia ring.

quote:

The Daily Beast also published a story condemning Twitter for failing to act on Posobiec’s account, which has been given the social media company’s verified blue check. Twitter verified Posobiec’s account after he began pushing the Pizzagate conspiracy, by the way.

According to that report:

quote:

Twitter did not respond to a request for comment on Posobiec’s doxxing. The company has responded to every request for comment on harassment-related inquiries from The Daily Beast in 2017 with the statement that “we do not comment on individual accounts, for privacy and security reasons.”
The company claimed it would be “clearer about these policies and decisions in the future” just last month. When asked for clarification about Posobiec’s status as a verified account, just one hour after that announcement, the company declined to comment.

As the Daily Beast points out, Rose McGowan’s Twitter was briefly shut down after she accused Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of rape. The reason Twitter gave for taking that step was that McGowan allegedly had included a phone number in her tweets.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, it turns out there may be a reason Twitter doesn't really worry about neo-Nazis.
http://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/929070660000743425
https://twitter.com/MultipleNights/status/929087986569846784
Jack Dorsey follows Mike Cernovich, Notch, The Federalist, Scott Adams, and Bill Mitchell. Noticing a trend there?

Doggles fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 12, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Not true, as we’ve seen time and again, companies like Twitter, Facebook, and Google are great at moderation when white men are being targeted by, say, people they have abused.

Talking about wanting to punch a Nazi? That’s a time-out or a ban. Talking about “white genocide?” Free speech, hands off!

They’re definitely interested in effective moderation, they just have the opposite priorities of what they should, because the people designing and implementing their policies and running the companies are terrible human beings.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you know what company was fairly good at moderating a social network that had equal measures of children and adults? Nintendo, with their Miiverse stuff.

Granted, the number of users was minuscule compared to something like Twitter or Facebook, but they had an actual moderation team looking at posts and making sure the assholes drawing dicks were minimized.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

eschaton posted:

Not true, as we’ve seen time and again, companies like Twitter, Facebook, and Google are great at moderation when white men are being targeted by, say, people they have abused.

They're also extremely good at protecting us from seeing a naked breast. Yes, please fill my feed with videos of animals (and sometimes humans) being brutally abused and killed, but don't you loving dare let me glimpse a nipple.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

Tons of those channels and videos have either been totally banned/deleted, or barred from advertising which might as well be the same thing for those purposes. Thing is since the bar of entry is so very very low, both to adsense eligibility and to making such videos, you're still going to see tons of very similar videos hanging around and turning up.

Then you also have to consider a lot of those that are "so violent" or whatever, are just being made by bored teens and college students - 10 years ago they'd be doing the same quality of animation and content in Flash, on Newgrounds. For those creators, importantly, it doesn't even matter if the videos get demonetized, they're not in it for making money. And it's also not like you'd have a valid reason to delete those off Youtube entirely, there's far worse "real content" on any point you'd care to try to judge them on which is accepted as fine to be on there.

But those only really get promoted to you if you've already watched a lot of videos "like" that before. And for that matter, repetitive vacuous content is a hallmark of tons of legit children's programming that's on TV in the first place. Or adult programming, if we're honest.

Are you absolutely sure you read the article? For one, it's not "huge teams", he said "small studio". It doesn't take that even that much to create one video, but it does take a team to tool up to generate thousands of variations of character-swapped renditions of a simple animation (such as wrong heads) set to the same music. Secondly, you made a serious forest for the trees mistake - yes, bored 4chan trolls come up with some stuff and post it. It gets views - then it gets seized on by the botnets who copy it, rebrand it, create trivial scripts for it to replace the models and generate thousands of copies of it.

"Watched videos like that" is also an indication you didn't read the article - you end up down that rabbit hole from a blank slate by watching innocuous content, because the algorithms are spamming the keywords, the bots are watching their content after searching for what they want to chain it from - the whole thing is about gaming that youtube-promoted "next" recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFB54902vyW97dXfvqWOI4g/videos Look at this channel and tell me this is done by 4chan trolls.

I'm personally a fan of iron man kicking a tire to a ramp where it turns purple, then hits some bananas with a repeated "thunk" sound that while they turn purple then an artificial voice says "purple". All the animations are identical, they just model-swap them. I'm not sure a human needed to be involved in anything but the first one.

It's also an hour long because monitization I guess? 7.4 million views.

E: 7 minutes in and it's got fidget spinners and action heros popping out of surprise eggs. I'm assuming that's from the start of their "fidget spinner and surprise egg" video later down on the playlist.

Harik fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 12, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Shugojin posted:

Self driving cars are still stuck at the problem where anything that isn't a self-driving car can cause them problems. They'll work acceptably in cities waaaaay before they'll do the same out where you have to worry about lots of random wildlife big enough to cause problems for cars crossing the road.
Rural areas with lovely roads and lots of wildlife may be a problem, but I doubt those issues are substantially harder to solve than the problems you have with cities with tons of construction, many many moving agents to keep track of besides cars (people walking, people on bikes, people on skateboards, kids chasing balls into the street, etc.), and lots of random parking rules.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm still bugged by the comment about smart cars being useless if they can't handle high altitudes and the snow.

Let's say driverless cars will always work for crap in Alaska but works for most of Southern California. The loss in sales won't bankrupt the company because there's a bigger market for driverless cars in Southern California than in Alaska.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Part of that is that if you live in Alaska, it doesn't matter to you much if self-driving cars could work in some other part of the world.

The other part is that a lot of D&D'ers get off on technological pessimism, the same way you saw so many getting off on Capitalism's Imminent Demise back in 2008-2009.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Living in an America where Trump is President, I'd say the pessimists were vindicated.

But I guess airbnb and Uber are nice consolations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DC Murderverse posted:

you know what company was fairly good at moderating a social network that had equal measures of children and adults? Nintendo, with their Miiverse stuff.

Granted, the number of users was minuscule compared to something like Twitter or Facebook, but they had an actual moderation team looking at posts and making sure the assholes drawing dicks were minimized.

Miiverse had tons of gross stuff that would stay up for days to weeks on there, even though a Nintendo mod would eventually get around to removing it. It was more limited by the fact that as you say, it just wasn't very popular, especially the Wii U half of it since the Wii U wasn't very popular.

Harik posted:

Are you absolutely sure you read the article? For one, it's not "huge teams", he said "small studio". It doesn't take that even that much to create one video, but it does take a team to tool up to generate thousands of variations of character-swapped renditions of a simple animation (such as wrong heads) set to the same music. Secondly, you made a serious forest for the trees mistake - yes, bored 4chan trolls come up with some stuff and post it. It gets views - then it gets seized on by the botnets who copy it, rebrand it, create trivial scripts for it to replace the models and generate thousands of copies of it.

"Watched videos like that" is also an indication you didn't read the article - you end up down that rabbit hole from a blank slate by watching innocuous content, because the algorithms are spamming the keywords, the bots are watching their content after searching for what they want to chain it from - the whole thing is about gaming that youtube-promoted "next" recommendation.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFB54902vyW97dXfvqWOI4g/videos Look at this channel and tell me this is done by 4chan trolls.

I'm personally a fan of iron man kicking a tire to a ramp where it turns purple, then hits some bananas with a repeated "thunk" sound that while they turn purple then an artificial voice says "purple". All the animations are identical, they just model-swap them. I'm not sure a human needed to be involved in anything but the first one.

It's also an hour long because monitization I guess? 7.4 million views.

E: 7 minutes in and it's got fidget spinners and action heros popping out of surprise eggs. I'm assuming that's from the start of their "fidget spinner and surprise egg" video later down on the playlist.

Whose post do you think you're responding to here? I read the stupid little article back when it came out, but I've not said anything here about "huge teams" or "small studios". You also can't just " copy it, rebrand it, and create trivial scripts to replace the models" of someone else's videos

What you aren't getting is that the so-called innocuous content is the same samey generic vacuous content that the supposed evil bot content is. That's why it's very difficult to tell it apart.

Again I have no idea whose posts you're actually arguing with here. That's clearly just one of the channels copying the mindless repetition of young children's programming, and it's not doing anything horrifying or something like that. Why would you think I was saying that sort of channel was done by "4chan trolls"?

These videos will be a half hour or 1 hour long because that way they have the option of triggering many mid roll ads and things like that yes. The key thing is that usually a parent will just type in something dumb like "spider man 1 hour" and so the app will dutifully return something thats 1 hour long and says spiderman a lot, and even has a bunch of models of spiderman in it. Then the next played video will be another thing like that because you just watched it and didn't hit dislike or close it, etc.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm still bugged by the comment about smart cars being useless if they can't handle high altitudes and the snow.

Let's say driverless cars will always work for crap in Alaska but works for most of Southern California. The loss in sales won't bankrupt the company because there's a bigger market for driverless cars in Southern California than in Alaska.

If it can't handle snow, it literally can't handle a huge chunk of the US population, or for that matter the majority of the US landmass. There's 24 million people across all of southern California, and not even all of those people will avoid snow because they live up in or need to cross the mountains that do get snow cover in winter. Meanwhile there's 56 million people in just the 9 Northeast states who would all need to deal with snow, another 67 million in the North Central states that need it, out of the Mountain West about 14 million people there need it of the total population, a good 25 million more in the Northern and Mountain areas of the South,

That's about 160 million people right there, and not even counting the many more southern areas that can still expect significant snowfall to deal with due to the way weather goes, or how many places that only get snow a few times a year have no good way to maintain their roads during it and drivers who have marginal ability to handle it, leading to extra dangerous roads and drivers considering the amount of snowfall and ice on the road.

And if I can't trust it to handle a little snow, how can I really trust it to handle a thunderstorm? Or hail? Or just plain when it's been raining a few days and everything's soaked? Or even when you get a bunch of rain right before a day it freezes overnight so you've got a thin layer of ice on the roads? How about when the leaves are falling and they kinda pile up on the road and get mushed up into slick masses?

Are we just to lower our expectations indefinitely until it turns out our "self driving car" can in fact only make like a high-optioned 2013 Ford Taurus and park itself for is in a parallel parking space and keep a distance in cruise control on the freeway?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

Whose post do you think you're responding to here? I read the stupid little article back when it came out, but I've not said anything here about "huge teams" or "small studios". You also can't just " copy it, rebrand it, and create trivial scripts to replace the models" of someone else's videos

Not yours. I was up way too late when I posted that, and a few posts blurred together for me. Rime was the one who brought up huge teams, and I think the article brought up 4chan and that mashed together with your "bored teens" and I attributed it wrong. I needed sleep.

If you watch some of the videos he's talking about you'll understand what I mean by scripted - someone creates a video type that gets popular (wrong head, for instance). You create the animation paths for it once, then let a computer generate dozens or hundreds of clone videos with random models from its inventory. Yes, a computer can't automatically copy someone else's video, but once a human traces those trivial paths it's entirely on autopilot after that.

Same thing with the channel I was boggling at - there's almost no human input into it because every scene has a single set animation done by people, then duplicated over and over with different models. One studio can trivially make hundreds of hours of video "content" and move on to something else while the algorithms dutifully watch for trendy search terms and mash things together.

It's all bot content. Create a simple animation once and it can be duplicated over and over with whatever models the bot thinks are trending, and given upvotes and comments by botfarms and watched by botfarms. Young children's videos are the easiest to do because they don't care about quality the way adults or even teens/pre-teens do, so there's lots of them.

I honestly don't know where I was going with troll videos either. I haven't slept much in a few months.

Harik fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 12, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jon joe posted:

What i want to know, is where these people that make the videos buy their data from.

YouTube...?

Hell Google gives away top search data by country and region for free.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

Not yours. I was up way too late when I posted that, and a few posts blurred together for me. Rime was the one who brought up huge teams, and I think the article brought up 4chan and that mashed together with your "bored teens" and I attributed it wrong. I needed sleep.

If you watch some of the videos he's talking about you'll understand what I mean by scripted - someone creates a video type that gets popular (wrong head, for instance). You create the animation paths for it once, then let a computer generate dozens or hundreds of clone videos with random models from its inventory. Yes, a computer can't automatically copy someone else's video, but once a human traces those trivial paths it's entirely on autopilot after that.

Same thing with the channel I was boggling at - there's almost no human input into it because every scene has a single set animation done by people, then duplicated over and over with different models. One studio can trivially make hundreds of hours of video "content" and move on to something else while the algorithms dutifully watch for trendy search terms and mash things together.

It's all bot content. Create a simple animation once and it can be duplicated over and over with whatever models the bot thinks are trending, and given upvotes and comments by botfarms and watched by botfarms. Young children's videos are the easiest to do because they don't care about quality the way adults or even teens/pre-teens do, so there's lots of them.

I honestly don't know where I was going with troll videos either. I haven't slept much in a few months.

Ah ok that makes much more sense.

An important thing to note here is that a lot of these channels are literally just showing the same clips over and over again. They build up an inventory of 15-45 second scenes and since there's rarely dialogue they can just splat out say the same 200 or so scenes into 50 different "NAME HERE MOVIE FULL ONE HOUR" videos (or 10 minute videos because you want to bump up individual views, or half hour because that's common, etc) and just hope that one of those will happen to get big.

I like to use the Fun Kids Smile channel as an example of how a channel like this progresses:

Here's the current main channel page:

Note that the channel banner uses completely different Mickey Mouse knockoff characters - I'll get to that later

You'll see that it has a link that says "Click BUY Now". That links to a lovely blog that mainly appears to exist to get you to click Amazon affiliate links.

All of the pages to "buy" things just link you to Amazon through their affiliate tag (which is superkidsshop-20 )

So let's sort the channel by "most popular":

Hey there's one video with the Mickey Mouse knockoff characters! And also a bunch of dracula and zombie ones that I bet were meant to capitalize on Halloween. But why would there be that knockoff Mickey Mouse character and why was it on the logo banner?

That's because about 6 months ago, the channel was instead full of those characters plus a Joker knockoff mouse and a few other mickey mouse knockoffs skinned like other popular characters. The videos have been taken down, but Retsupurae's videos of themselves watching and talking over the actual videos are still up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1uiYXWIGYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5If1ZWfNoJMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsyFyLcqj8

If you go and watch just those three videos, I believe you already see scenes repeated in them from previous videos, and some of the scenes appear directly in the new "Sun & Moon" character themed videos. So yes the people behind this channel are reusing animations and such but it's not really that they're doing the reskins too often - I assume they only bother to make new videos with completely new characters when something happens to threaten the income. Presumably Disney finally noticed their Mickey-knockoff characters and threatened them. But this is also why I think allegations that it's "bot generated" is often overblown - they do have all the stuff set up to have a bot handle making new videos if they wanted, but they rate they actually do things seems to suggest they don't need that. And since they've apparently been fine with this "Sun & Moon" set of characters for 3 or 4 months now, it's not like they're closely tying themselves to whatever would be hot.

I'm pretty sure the "Sun & Moon" characters are from a popular kid's program in another country, though I can't be sure. There's several unrelated channels also using that naming and with similar looking characters. I guess it could also just be trying to grab views from people looking for stuff for the Pokemon Sun & Moon games that came out like last year though.

One last thing: like many of these channels it appears to have originally been someone's personal channel, as the URL is https://www.youtube.com/user/mrefahrer/videos and the "mrefahrer" name certainly doesn't have anything to do with "Fun Kids Smile". There's an @mrefahrer on twitter but they don't currently have any posts and only follow 7 people and are followed by 4. The mrefahrer Youtube URL was created in 2007, so presumably it had been used at that point, but whatever content may have been there is now hidden/deleted.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Its always seemed odd to me that autonomous vehicles would be assumed to be self uh what's the word I'm looking for, guided? Doesn't it make much more sense for centralized traffic control?

The company who wins this gambit is the one that builds a secure system that municipalities can drop into their own infrastructure and interconnect them with neighbors. The reason why none of this happens is because everyone who works on advanced transit systems wants to be the next Henry Ford instead of building and interoperable standard.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Those knockoff videos get moved around from channel to channel like a fun game of whackamole, I had a bunch of the Mickey ones bookmarked but that channel left when the videos got hit with a wave of demonetization a few months back, but many of the videos are back on other channels (or probably more accurately, compilations of the various 1-5 minute segments are reupped to a new channel in the network and cover art assets/titles are reused) Streamers have noted that the songs used seem to be in YouTubes copyright database so attempts to livestream with commentary of the videos often ends with the streams being disabled quickly, even videos from nonsense named channels are they are all part of the same big network. That does make it hard to determine just how many of these networks there are, and you can be certain there is at least one guy selling systems of how to set these up to people. I think the bot accusations are overblown by people who don't seem to get that you can outsource a lot of this stuff super cheap, and its even cheaper if you are based in the area where it is produced, where smaller amounts of ad revenue is enough to live comfortably.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RuanGacho posted:

Its always seemed odd to me that autonomous vehicles would be assumed to be self uh what's the word I'm looking for, guided? Doesn't it make much more sense for centralized traffic control?

The company who wins this gambit is the one that builds a secure system that municipalities can drop into their own infrastructure and interconnect them with neighbors. The reason why none of this happens is because everyone who works on advanced transit systems wants to be the next Henry Ford instead of building and interoperable standard.

Well that's a big problem on it's own. A properly secure and robust system for central control, against both intentional attack by outside hackers and against the wear-and-tear of the roads itself disrupting communication, is quite a hard problem.

And that's besides the fact that it leaves it so that you'd have a hard time going into remote areas. It would be relatively easy to justify getting the control infrastructure set up in a major city, harder for some random suburb, pretty difficult for Nowheresville, Iowa which isn't even on the interstate so that there'd be a reason to wire it up so the trucks and roadtrippers will come to your town to get gas and food.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Those knockoff videos get moved around from channel to channel like a fun game of whackamole, I had a bunch of the Mickey ones bookmarked but that channel left when the videos got hit with a wave of demonetization a few months back, but many of the videos are back on other channels (or probably more accurately, compilations of the various 1-5 minute segments are reupped to a new channel in the network and cover art assets/titles are reused) Streamers have noted that the songs used seem to be in YouTubes copyright database so attempts to livestream with commentary of the videos often ends with the streams being disabled quickly, even videos from nonsense named channels are they are all part of the same big network. That does make it hard to determine just how many of these networks there are, and you can be certain there is at least one guy selling systems of how to set these up to people. I think the bot accusations are overblown by people who don't seem to get that you can outsource a lot of this stuff super cheap, and its even cheaper if you are based in the area where it is produced, where smaller amounts of ad revenue is enough to live comfortably.

That Fun Kids Smile channel for instance is currently within the Fullscreen Network, one of the major ad/enforcement networks on YouTube with like 50,000 channels under it. They'll have their workers go ahead and try to catch and shut down other channels stealing content from their videos regardless of it's from one of their big "real channels" like PopularMMOs or if it's from a Fun Kids Smile. Other of tthese garbage content channels are surely under that or a similar YouTube network, it's simply the easiest way to get paid.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

fishmech posted:

Well that's a big problem on it's own. A properly secure and robust system for central control, against both intentional attack by outside hackers and against the wear-and-tear of the roads itself disrupting communication, is quite a hard problem.

And that's besides the fact that it leaves it so that you'd have a hard time going into remote areas. It would be relatively easy to justify getting the control infrastructure set up in a major city, harder for some random suburb, pretty difficult for Nowheresville, Iowa which isn't even on the interstate so that there'd be a reason to wire it up so the trucks and roadtrippers will come to your town to get gas and food.

Oh I agree fully, I just think it's a forrest/trees moment.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fishmech posted:

[Lots of words]

My points was, there'll still be markets for self driving cars: even in your original extreme example where self driving cars can never handle snow and altitudes*. Because only producing and selling, say, a million vehicles is still a million vehicles.

You turned that into them not handling any inclement weather at all. Which was disingenuous. You're posting style about the topic comes across like that to me. Which was why I made the comment about in the first place.

*Except the environmental constraints won't actually be the case forever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RandomPauI posted:

My points was, there'll still be markets for self driving cars: even in your original extreme example where self driving cars can never handle snow and altitudes*. Because only producing and selling, say, a million vehicles is still a million vehicles.

You turned that into them not handling any inclement weather at all. Which was disingenuous. You're posting style about the topic comes across like that to me. Which was why I made the comment about in the first place.

*Except the environmental constraints won't actually be the case forever.

Extremely tiny unimportant markets - few people are ok with buying a car that they can't use to go visit Grandma Jenny who lives across the country, even if they only visit her once every 5 years. You see this with electric cars, even though normal people only need 50-100 miles range on a charge to completely cover all their commuting and shopping etc each day, they still hesitate to buy them when they can afford them. A car that you couldn't use the big thing that made it cost a lot more than a normal car in most of the country most of the year, well that's a very unattractive sales proposition.

I didn't "turn it" into that, it is that. If they can't handle evacuating in front of a hurricane, it's because they can't handle wind and rain. If they can't handle a northern winter, they can't handle snow and ice. If they can't handle altitude then they can't safely handle maneuvering on grades... which means they can't even handle a lot of highway ramps or parking garage ramps. And so on, "it works in this place where the weather's the same clear weather all the time, and only here" IS "it can't handle inclement weather".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://twitter.com/mikko/status/929740438294204416

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fishmech posted:

So let's sort the channel by "most popular":

What, wait, wait. What exactly is going on on the row second from the top, all the way to the left?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

nm posted:

What, wait, wait. What exactly is going on on the row second from the top, all the way to the left?

I refuse to look closer at any of that because every one seems to beg more questions.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

They got the oil part right at least.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

nm posted:

Vampire baby.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Do vampires traditionally have things crammed up their butts? That seems even beyond White Wolf.

edit: for babies, I mean.

Shakenbaker fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

nm posted:

There's so much wrong with these I have no idea. It's not in the actual video so it's just a bizarre thumbnail?

Shoutout to ending one of these on horns.aiff, that was at least funny.

Fishmech's example is honestly a million times more coherent than the channel I found. While they reuse clips, it's not like the bizarro-hour video I found that's the same animation repeated 5-10 times with a new model and tint each time before moving on to the next 5-10 model-swapped animation before the next, etc.

Harik fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 13, 2017

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I seem to recall reading a Volvo spokesperson saying that if self-driving technology wasn’t fully reliable and capable in every situation, it wasn’t reasonable to release it to the market because people will be people and try to rely on it even in situations where the manufacturer recommended not doing so. I can’t find the quote now but I did find a funny anecdote about their automatic large animal collision system being unable to detect kangaroos because it got confused by the jumping: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/01/volvo-admits-its-self-driving-cars-are-confused-by-kangaroos

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fishmech posted:

Vampire baby.

With something up its butt

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

Part of that is that if you live in Alaska, it doesn't matter to you much if self-driving cars could work in some other part of the world.

The other part is that a lot of D&D'ers get off on technological pessimism, the same way you saw so many getting off on Capitalism's Imminent Demise back in 2008-2009.

No dude, a lot of us actually work in businesses that produce real things and get sick and tired of professional computer touchers telling the rest of us how easy and trivial these advancements will be if only we stop asking questions and see Musk and his peers for the geniuses they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

TheFluff posted:

I seem to recall reading a Volvo spokesperson saying that if self-driving technology wasn’t fully reliable and capable in every situation, it wasn’t reasonable to release it to the market because people will be people and try to rely on it even in situations where the manufacturer recommended not doing so.
If I remember correctly, it was Volvo talking how incredibly irresponsible Tesla was by naming their driving assistance software "Autopilot", because if you call things autopilots, people will naturally expect them to well.. act as a autopilot and take large unnecessary risks with them.
It's about cultural differences between safety minded car company and American startup philosophy that doesn't see anything wrong with bending the truth in the name of advertising.