Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

The military also doesn't just randomly lay you off due to downsizing, you have to be discharged and when you get discharged you have money and time and assistance to help you get settled.

All the exploited poor people aside, this statement doesn't hold water. You can somewhat plan for getting out and save money, but you don't get like a "discharge bonus" or anything. All the transition assistance programs are baloney too.

I did 15 years in the Air Force and was medically discharged and got nothing more than a "hey good job!". Thankfully I had lined another (higher paying) job up, and qualified for federal employee retirement simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well that sucks then, and now I know better. But that also means it's another example of poo poo being hosed up, and not how things are OK and cool because the military does it too.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
The real world sucks, study hard, get good grades, get a good job, and have a nice life!

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You can totally get laid off from the Army when the do a force reduction or whatever it's called. Happened to a guy I knew. Turns out your job of sitting in an equipment depot doing basically nothing all day isn't all that valuable after all.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

You can totally get laid off from the Army when the do a force reduction or whatever it's called. Happened to a guy I knew. Turns out your job of sitting in an equipment depot doing basically nothing all day isn't all that valuable after all.

That's true. The Air Force called it "force shaping", "non-retained", and a bunch of other terms. It was more than amusing to watch that sine wave of too many ppl getting out under a campaign, then scrambling to, and over recruiting, then 18mo later another nonretention campaign.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

That's true. The Air Force called it "force shaping", "non-retained", and a bunch of other terms. It was more than amusing to watch that sine wave of too many ppl getting out under a campaign, then scrambling to, and over recruiting, then 18mo later another nonretention campaign.

"Non-retention campaign" is one of those pieces of HRese that could only be invented by the armed forces.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

There are other reasons for them offering that apartment to the store manager like making sure he can always get to the store in the event of an emergency if the bridges are closed.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Seat Safety Switch posted:

"Non-retention campaign" is one of those pieces of HRese that could only be invented by the armed forces.

To be fair, I'm not sure I ever saw that as official verbiage. The most amusing part was watching them miss the median workforce trajectory and only [over]react to peaks and valleys. But that's how humans work most of the time, right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was in the Air Force (89 to 93) they were kicking people out for first offense DUIs and other trivial poo poo because they were "cleaning house" from what I was told.

Then when it came time for my re enlistment, they did not make any real effort to try to convince me to stay. They told me me I would be going back over seas if I did re enlist so I said gently caress that, and they said ok bye have a nice life :wave:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Please tell me you released it after taking pictures and getting frisky real quick. :bigtran:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sharkytm posted:

Please tell me you released it after taking pictures and getting frisky real quick. :bigtran:

Thats dinner yo

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Worst fleshlight ever.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

When I was in the Air Force (89 to 93) they were kicking people out for first offense DUIs and other trivial poo poo because they were "cleaning house" from what I was told.

Then when it came time for my re enlistment, they did not make any real effort to try to convince me to stay. They told me me I would be going back over seas if I did re enlist so I said gently caress that, and they said ok bye have a nice life :wave:

I moved from AD to the guard when they told me if I reenlist I'd have to go to Al udeid for 16mo with B1's. Yeah no thanks.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

DICK DICER posted:

Thats dinner yo

stump posted:

Worst fleshlight ever.

Haha, together this is gold.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
Hopefully your peeled the skin off quick and cleaned it. Sharks pee through their skin ammoniated nastiness that will taint the meat. Also. Those dorky long sleeve fishing shirts and lightweight pants the fishing guides wear are perfect for the keys and sweating.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure he was joking

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Pretty sure he was joking

*Narrator voice* “He was not joking.”

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Joking aside it is the blood full of urea that amoniumizes, got to drain it quickly. 14 Inch Dick and da sea, get in!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrYenko posted:

True. Counterpoint: Frozen water falling from the sky.

It barely snows in Seattle

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Dude fuc floridafuck the bugs gently caress the keys gently caress the heat gently caress the bugs gently caress this place gently caress the bugs gently caress florida gently caress everything about here im leaving this loving state as soon as i loving can gently caress THIS PLACE

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I AM SO loving SATURATED WITH BUG BITES MY SHOES ALMOST DONT FIT

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
IM loving DONE WITH THIS BUG INFESTED loving BLAST FURNACE LOCATED ABOUT SIX INCHES FROM THE SUNS TAINT

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sorry dude, you are having the true coastal FL experience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So it looks like Dave is settling in then.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Wrar posted:

Sorry dude, you are having the true coastal FL experience.

Welcome to paradise!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Nystral posted:

Welcome to parasites!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Florida sucks

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

dave, it seems you are becoming

itchy

it also seems the bugs find you

tasty

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

verbal enema posted:

Florida sucks

I haven't lived there in nearly 5 years thankfully.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Dave I think it's time you turned the tables on your tormentors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQeyjgSUlrk&hd=1

also save you some money on food

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure there's bugs in Colorado too, just sayin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pretty sure there's bugs in Colorado too, just sayin

Gonna need you to cite your sources there bro.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Gonna need you to cite your sources there bro.

I just spoke with my uncle John Elway who lives there, and he has confirmed that yes, there are indeed bugs in Colorado

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
It turns out the outdoors has bugs.
Have you tried soaking your clothes in pyrethrin? It works pretty well. Make sure you are not wearing the clothes until they dry though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just get like a stuntman firesuit and well you get the rest

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

nm posted:

It turns out the outdoors has bugs.
Have you tried soaking your clothes in pyrethrin? It works pretty well. Make sure you are not wearing the clothes until they dry though.

Not like the motherfucking South though. I will forever remember trying to stand at attention for morning colors while biting gnats and mosquitos crawled in my ears, in my nose, on my lips, on my drat eyes... The South is a hell blasted wasteland that should drown in the sea.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

there are indeed bugs in Colorado

But only in the summer, and only in the boring parts. My brother just got back from a two-week stay in CO and did not see a aingle bug.

he was at 9-12k feet elevation and it was 12-18F the whole time. Apparently it's a lot nicer than Nebraska winter up at the treeline, maybe because less air to conduct the heat away? He went from Texas to that, and was wearing a t-shirt when it was 20F.

• Locked thread