Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Anchan will also have the advantage of not having to learn on a loving beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

GhostStalker posted:

Also, I'm scared for when Anchan has to do Miracle Wave live; that cartwheel somersault looks like it'll be a bitch for her to do, especially since it seems like it's done over the other members lying down before they get back up with a fist pump and all that. If they had Rikakyo do the piano piece for Omoi no Hitotsu ni Nare for at least First Live and what happened on the second day probably leading to them never doing that again, they're def gonna have Anchan do it at least once, probably at one or all of the Third Live shows next year... Apparently, Anchan has done karate in the past and might make her flexible enough to do so, I'm still anxious about it.

What happened in the second day of the concert?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Revolver Bunker posted:

She screwed up the piano part and freaked out. The others had to calm her down before they could restart the song.

https://c.lewd.se/LnmbBE.webm

e: This is from the live stream, i.e. without the magic of audio editing. Don't watch if you want to keep believing that idols can actually hit their notes while singing live

Spider Barbie
Oct 15, 2012
Mods please change the thread title to WELCOME TO HELL ZONE tyia

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
https://twitter.com/wankotkt/status/929711626940424193

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Revolver Bunker posted:

Tamba posted:

She screwed up the piano part and freaked out. The others had to calm her down before they could restart the song.

https://c.lewd.se/LnmbBE.webm

e: This is from the live stream, i.e. without the magic of audio editing. Don't watch if you want to keep believing that idols can actually hit their notes while singing live

Your link isn't working for me, but yeah, it was tough to watch when I saw it during an idolwatch a couple months back after watching Final Live. Rikyako really had a panic attack after she messed up that piano bit (I don't blame her, it was only her second time playing the piece live and she had only started learning it and playing piano in the first place when they started rehearsal for the Live a couple months prior) but the crowd and the rest of the group, Ainya and Anchan especially, encouraging her through it prior to her starting it over, and their reaction afterwards was a really heartwarming moment. Too bad it probably will never be done again because of that. I wonder if that scene made it to the concert DVD or was edited out to preserve the idol magic and all that...

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Anchan will also have the advantage of not having to learn on a loving beach
To be fair, she did practice a bit with a mat in the Uranohoshi gym with all the rest of the girls there watching, but yeah, she mostly did try it a lot on the beach, which probably was a good idea. And as I mentioned before, Anshan does karate (apparently she has a black belt?), and they do have to be in pretty decent shape to do all that dancing and stuff, so she should be ok for when they inevitably do it for Third Live. They have it set up pretty much perfectly for it to be Aqours Snow Halation moment for breaking out the UOs right after that jump, I think, based off of the lighting.

Doesn't help that now I'm seeing Aqours a lot more as their seiyuus instead of the characters themselves, because of all the Niconamas I've been watching on YouTube. Aikyan's new one (HamuRiha?) has made me like her a lot more, even if she was already my favorite, and Kin-chan's weekly Dengeki PlayStation lives are great too, she's really grown on me a lot. And of course Suwawa and Ainya being so cute together all the time, plus Shuka being Shuka, and Furinrin and never living down the Sexy Home Tutor sketch is great.

I'm still waiting for more Saint Snow, I like their music a lot. They made an appearance this episode, but poor Ria only had a three word line about the bath. Too bad, so sad.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 13, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Omohito was never performed again? Really? :smith:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Your link isn't working for me,

Try this or this instead

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I wonder if that scene made it to the concert DVD or was edited out to preserve the idol magic and all that...

It was left in, which is good because there'd be riots if they took it out. It's a very powerful moment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Huh, apparently this time around the dub dropped the weird 'we're keeping the honorifics even though it's english now' thing so when it came time to do the episode when Dia was stressing over her honorific they had to do a bit of bending.

https://streamable.com/5z4g5

Honestly works pretty well. Any dub that makes the original 1000% gayer is usually solid to begin with but boy 'Dia fantasizes about being called honey' was something. Cute way to handle the cultural gap though, and I think it works better than the original series just keeping the -chans and all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

sexpig by night posted:

Huh, apparently this time around the dub dropped the weird 'we're keeping the honorifics even though it's english now' thing so when it came time to do the episode when Dia was stressing over her honorific they had to do a bit of bending.

https://streamable.com/5z4g5

Honestly works pretty well. Any dub that makes the original 1000% gayer is usually solid to begin with but boy 'Dia fantasizes about being called honey' was something. Cute way to handle the cultural gap though, and I think it works better than the original series just keeping the -chans and all.

so cute i died

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Toodle-o Kanan-roo

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 15, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's super obvious they had some fun thinking about what cutesy nicknames would be good to fill the 'it's how we show we're friendly but it'd be kinda awkward to do with someone we view as a superior' gap.

Did You say 'matey' in Dia's fantasy? If so I need that to be 100% canon what she calls people.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the "matey" is A++

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Should I go see the Aqours Seoul fan meeting/concert this weekend by myself y/n?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
uh, YES

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
alright I'm going saturday night, will post trip report afterwards :toot:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Aqours is SO GOOD. Really glad I went to see them. I don’t speak Japanese and my Korean is barely conversational at best so I couldn’t follow a lot of the talking/fanmeet part even when it was translated, but the live/performance part was great. Unfortunately I didn’t get to buy any swag because my bus was delayed and I didn’t even get to the venue until after it had already started.

So yeah A+++, would spend 80 bucks to see anime idol concert again

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Awesome, glad you had a good time! I really, really hope they make to anime expo again this year, 'cause yeah, they're great live.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Awesome, glad you had a good time! I really, really hope they make to anime expo again this year, 'cause yeah, they're great live.

I'm disappointed that they'll probably never come to NYC, even though there's definitely enough of a fanbase here on the East Coast that would come out to see them. Plus, they could even do the pilgrimage thing and reenact scenes from the School Idol movie.

Guess I'll just have to content myself with delayed viewings. Oh well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really enjoyed parts of this week's Sunshine. I really like how Sunshine has portrayed struggling, failing, and persevering. But, the conclusion to this ep was lackluster, to me. It makes that Chika was really down, and stewing about it overnight didn't fix that. It was a great moment for her friends to remind her of her original motivations, to call upon her to continue for herself and for her friends. But no, her self-motivation and her bonds with her friends were proven insufficient, and it took every student at the school showing up spontaneously (again) to get her to change her mind.

A lot of what I like about Chika is how her motivation to be a school idol is internal. She admires µ's a bunch, sure, but in s1 she moves past that. She wants to idol because she wants to idol. But now, it's all about the school? My impression was that that was the current goal of her idoling, but not the purpose. And, I guess she found a new goal/purpose in remembering the school, not that I think that's much better, but it's lame that it took a bunch of no-names yelling at her from the schoolyard to bring her around. It's like, 40 acquaintances outweigh 8 friends, which is pretty lame. And she about-faced in like 30 seconds. It felt cheap.

I was really enjoying this ep, it was bringing back fond memories of the setback ep of s1, where they came together as friends and renewed their determination, but the conclusion soured me on it. In general, despite some really standout moments, I feel like this season is breaking the pattern of me enjoying each installment of LL more than the last.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

astr0man posted:

Aqours is SO GOOD. Really glad I went to see them. I don’t speak Japanese and my Korean is barely conversational at best so I couldn’t follow a lot of the talking/fanmeet part even when it was translated, but the live/performance part was great. Unfortunately I didn’t get to buy any swag because my bus was delayed and I didn’t even get to the venue until after it had already started.

So yeah A+++, would spend 80 bucks to see anime idol concert again

Excellent. You have seen the light. Seeing Aqours IRL at AX literally changed my life. I am glad you now see why.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

A lot of what I like about Chika is how her motivation to be a school idol is internal. She admires µ's a bunch, sure, but in s1 she moves past that. She wants to idol because she wants to idol. But now, it's all about the school? My impression was that that was the current goal of her idoling, but not the purpose. And, I guess she found a new goal/purpose in remembering the school, not that I think that's much better, but it's lame that it took a bunch of no-names yelling at her from the schoolyard to bring her around. It's like, 40 acquaintances outweigh 8 friends, which is pretty lame. And she about-faced in like 30 seconds. It felt cheap.

I think it's less that Chika is obsessed with saving the school now but more that, as a character, Chika has always struggled to make herself feel accomplished in anything. Getting that zero in S1 was a heartbreaker and she tore herself apart over not being good enough, and that's largely the same as what's happened in this week's episode. It doesn't matter that they've made it to the finals now; their school is still getting shut down, and to Chika, that still counts as a massive failure both for the school and herself as a person. She's always trying to be the absolute best she can be, and when she doesn't manage to accomplish everything she hopes to, she blames herself and wishes she could have done better, despite doing everything in her power to make it happen

Also, the "40 or so acquaintances" happen to represent the entire school of Uranohoshi, the very same school that Chika was beating herself up over not saving. The fact that the school itself is still giving her encouragement now, even during the school's darkest hour, means more to Chika than she could ever hope to imagine, and it's the perfect motivation for her to stay in the Love Live finals and win it all for the school, her friends, and herself

(This is all coming from me realizing Chika is now my favorite Love Live character and absolutely loving this week's episode so take that for what you will)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like Chika a lot, I've been feeling like she's been giving Riko a run for her money as my 2nd favorite sunshine. I just feel like I don't really know these randos. They show up to cheer occasionally, but we've barely seen them interact with our friends at all, that I recall. Maybe if we'd had more time spent on just hanging out or something. I dunno, it feels like I'm nitpicking or something, but the sudden turnaround just felt cheap.

Maybe I won't be so sour on it on a rewatch.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm actually glad it was the randos giving the 'cram it down their throats' speech that was always destined to happen. It makes it feel like it's less these nine girls shouldering everything.

Chika didn't seem like she had given up on idolin so much as still stuck on the thing right in front of her. Like everyone took a day to decompress and she decided that she wanted to fight some more somehow. I mean wasn't she wanting to fly to America earlier? There's probably a lot of ways of exhorting a school board that have nothing to do with singing and dancing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

needs more Maru

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I liked the episode but I thought it could have been better if the realization that they can still accomplish a lot for themselves and the school (regardless of the closure) had come from one of the members themselves instead of from all the randos.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It would have felt cheap with just the friends, I think. Chika has always worried about expectations, always wondered what it'd be like to have people believe in her. Of course the gang believes in her, they're her friends. It's the random students that prove chikas actually gotten other people to believe in her, all on her own. That even when she fails, they still trust in her.

It's not that randos > friends, or that the students are a well drawn cast of memorable characters with a deep bond with Chika they're just what she needed.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I liked the part where they all repeat "soshite... soshite" in unison.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Xelkelvos posted:

Please translate the rest of the chapters if they're this cute.

Got a busy schedule right now, but I'm definitely gonna start working again as soon as I can, because there's a lot more cute scenes I want to get out there. In the meantime, you could consider checking the Love Live School Idol Diary manga if you haven't already. It's by the same writer and artist.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm slowly working through the Sunshine manga from the front end of what hasn't been TL'd. Chapter 5.... probably before the end of the year. So many things I want to TL...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I am super enjoying how much Kanan we are getting this season. Must have been a huge request from the end of s1, which is a thing I can get behind.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This was a good episode for Hokkaido funtimes and Ruby characterization

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really enjoyed this ep. Lots of cute side stuff, good Kurosawa moments, nice imouto bonding, and a masterful trolling of audience expectations with the Saint Snow song.

https://twitter.com/skn029/status/934445748820647936

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
New episode was good up until the actual song.......... not that the song was bad but just made me acutely aware that "oh right, this is a media franchise, of course they wouldn't actually let Ruby & Leah have a song to themselves." Threw me completely off in the bad way

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't just them, but it was still good. I wish they'd had the insert song be just LeahRuby and then maybe also had an all-members version on the single. Only sisters and first years really needed to be in this ep aside from short bits.

BUT it was still a fantastic episode with great character development for Ruby, great YoshiMaru background shenanigans, wonderful ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION of Leah×Ruby, and many other very good things. I loved the intro to the song, with the flippy visuals and just the two of them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The seesaw was a great gag.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

sockpuppetclock posted:

New episode was good up until the actual song.......... not that the song was bad but just made me acutely aware that "oh right, this is a media franchise, of course they wouldn't actually let Ruby & Leah have a song to themselves." Threw me completely off in the bad way

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't just them, but it was still good. I wish they'd had the insert song be just LeahRuby and then maybe also had an all-members version on the single. Only sisters and first years really needed to be in this ep aside from short bits.

BUT it was still a fantastic episode with great character development for Ruby, great YoshiMaru background shenanigans, wonderful ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION of Leah×Ruby, and many other very good things. I loved the intro to the song, with the flippy visuals and just the two of them.

Yeah, the song gave me Snow Halation level feels, and not just because of the same kind of setting. The costumes were on point too.

I agree that it probably would've been better served with just the sisters (and maybe YohaMaru for a couple of lines, since that worked pretty well, plus a Chika bit or two to play off of the whole "lead of the group" dynamic she has with Sera), but at least that means we'll likely have the whole of Saint Aqours Snow (expected the name but it just doesn't really work for me for whatever reason) on stage for Third Live next summer. A-RISE never performed any of their songs live during a Muse concert, right?

Anyway, some of the social media stuff alongside this episode I've been seeing on Facebook from fan groups reposting stuff from Furinrin's pages is great, with them hanging alongside the seiyuus for Saint Snow. The cover for the CD previewed also looks great, it's the two sets of sisters in profile, IIRC. Man, so many good insert songs this season, need to get both of those CDs if I ever get the chance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I am flying back from Japan today but was able to catch the episode last night. At the very end there was a quick splash screen of a scheduled live concert in April 2018 in Hakodate where this episode takes place. And it would be a joint concert with Aqours and Saint Snow.