Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Seems like there's a Creation Club sale going on and you can get the Arcane Accessories for free while it lasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As long as it's not Arkane Accessories. gently caress him.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Frionnel posted:

Yeah i couldn't get MO to recognize SKSE 64 when i tried yesterday, so i guess i'll go with the path of least resistance and mod Oldrim.

I'd honestly just use NMM. It works fine these days, and SSE is an incredible improvement.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd honestly just use NMM. It works fine these days, and SSE is an incredible improvement.

I keep thinking about it, but then i did spend some hours yesterday setting up Oldrim. I'm still tinkering with it, it looks just perfect at night, but days are a bit too bright. I'll swap Natural Lighting and Atmospherics with Climates of Tamriel + Project ENB and see how it looks.

Also, i played the starting sequence in Helgen (i know, i know, but i wanted to see how it looked with the new stuff), and for a mod called Immersive Armors, it immediately broke my ~immersion~ by giving Hadvar a really shiny metal full plate armor that looked nicer than the general's.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wow, I just read that you can run SE at 144Hz without any physics problems, and it seems to work really well. The game feels suuuper smooth now.

Basically all you need to do is input the following to Skyrim.ini (replace the numbers with 1/<your refresh rate> and 2/<your refresh rate> if you use a different refresh rate)

code:
[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.00694444
fMaxTimeComplex=0.01388889

[Display]
bLockFrameRate=0

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know if there's a way to make Enb play nice with night eye?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Smol posted:

Wow, I just read that you can run SE at 144Hz without any physics problems, and it seems to work really well. The game feels suuuper smooth now.

Basically all you need to do is input the following to Skyrim.ini (replace the numbers with 1/<your refresh rate> and 2/<your refresh rate> if you use a different refresh rate)

code:
[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.00694444
fMaxTimeComplex=0.01388889

[Display]
bLockFrameRate=0

Isn't the issue with that you need to run at a consistent 144hz?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

axeil posted:

Isn't the issue with that you need to run at a consistent 144hz?

The game runs at a consistent 144 fps on my computer, so if lower frame rates pose problems, I haven't noticed them. And nevertheless, I would trade some jankiness for being able to play at 144Hz any day.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

CascadeBeta posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to make Enb play nice with night eye?

You would have to either look into how some customized ENBs with Night Eye in mind did it or mod Candlelight to be better.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mean it wouldn't be a problem except the shouts all use similar screen effects to nighteye that leaves me blinded. Same with right before bleak falls barrow. I mean, the proper response at this point is probably just find a new Enb, but it's so good outside of that and super dark nights.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Anyone knows how to make textures look less like plastic?

I'm interested in this mod which brings back some daedra from TES3/TES4, but screenshots like this and that are turnoffs. I figure the normal maps are the culprits?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Of course as soon as I start modding SSE for the first time since launch, thinking there is finally a working script extender to port in some 'essential' mods, the loving game gets a patch and skse is nonfunctional again. I saw a work-around or two, but really since I have not started a game yet I'll just wait and continue to curate my mod list.

Interesting the modders who have dropped out of the scene, like Chesko and the dude who made Cloaks of Skyrim (who seems really pissed at the CC and SSE in general). I think I am going to take the plunge and try the skyrim survival mod (which i got for free thankfully) since Frostfall has not been updated in some time. I know there have been some complaints about it, but I figure I'd try it out and maybe tweak it as I go along if it becomes too tedious.

Here's a quick list so far, in case anyone still browses this thread and sees anything suspect or has suggestions for better alternatives.

edit vvv: November 7th http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Special_Edition_Patch

graynull fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 10, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When was SSE patched? I started modding it on the weekend with the SKSE alpha, and was playing it last night.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

graynull posted:

Interesting the modders who have dropped out of the scene, like Chesko and the dude who made Cloaks of Skyrim (who seems really pissed at the CC and SSE in general). I think I am going to take the plunge and try the skyrim survival mod (which i got for free thankfully) since Frostfall has not been updated in some time. I know there have been some complaints about it, but I figure I'd try it out and maybe tweak it as I go along if it becomes too tedious.

I suggest this so you don't have to roleplay a Hobbit who needs 6 full meals and a nap every day.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When was SSE patched? I started modding it on the weekend with the SKSE alpha, and was playing it last night.

Three days ago. I noticed it soon after my previous post here, but then didn't feel like double-posting to talk about it.

Note that if you have disabled automatic updates, then Steam will only update Skyrim when you run its launcher; and if you play with SKSE you skip the Skyrim launcher entirely, so no surprise unwanted updates. You can also reinstall the older version if you do some l33t h4xx0ring of the Steam API. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue your game?

Anyways, Fallout 4 was updated at the same time, and it has had its F4SE updated already. So ianpatt & co aren't dead.

A consequence of this update is that now the Creation Club catalog gets written to a text file instead of hardcoded in the exe. (Which is good news; it means that they will not need to update the exe every time they add some new crap to the CC. Only when the new crap requires new engine features, like Survival Mode, but that's probably not going to happen often.)
One of the new mods listed, called PuzzleDungeon, is an .esm file (not .esl), so if you're familiar with the data formats you already know it's going to have a lot of content instead of being a micromod; and more interestingly Trainwiz has confirmed it was his baby. Another is called Hstead and it's speculated to by Elianora, since she is the kind of person who creates homesteads.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

graynull posted:

... skse is nonfunctional again.

EDIT; NM, new version of SKSE64 is out.
It's super easy to fix, you can download the previous .exe through Steam. I think someone made a video but ignore that and just follow the instructions in the top comment here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/7bdzz1/skyrim_se_is_just_updated_so_skse64_is_blocked_now/dphl7o6/

I didn't see Wrye Bash in your list but I highly recommend it. The Bash patch fixed all sorts of problems I was having.

Also this,
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10547/

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 11, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Anyone knows how to make textures look less like plastic?

I'm interested in this mod which brings back some daedra from TES3/TES4, but screenshots like this and that are turnoffs. I figure the normal maps are the culprits?

Immersive Creatures has been ported to SSE, and as I remember it adds in oldschool Daedra.

Edit: And I remember them looking better than that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
SKSE has been updated!
http://skse.silverlock.org/

Note that some SKSE plugins will need to be udpated, too. Notably PapyrusUtils. If you get crashes, remove/disable your SKSE plugins until it works again.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 11, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Haven't played Skyrim for about 3 years, but have left my install + mods untouched since then.
Everything works just fine, seemingly, so im going to stick with the mods i have now and not add more mods (i don't even remember if you can add mods to a well progressed save?)

I have gotten a new PC since playing the game previously though, and want to play on higher settings. How/where do i alter display settings such as resolution, anti aliasing and what not? I tried starting the Skyrim Launcher through Mod Organiser but the only button that works there is "install skyrim" (even though it is installed?)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ineptitude posted:

(i don't even remember if you can add mods to a well progressed save?)

You can; it's removing mods that's a problem.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Can I get suggestions for a first timer mod pack?

I played vanilla a while ago and couldn't get into it. It seemed too shallow. I'd like mods that introduce depth into the game and gameplay. Cosmetic stuff I could care less about.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
People don't make mod packs for these games, for some reason. I think it's because they don't want to pull downloads away from the individual mods.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

People don't make mod packs for these games, for some reason. I think it's because they don't want to pull downloads away from the individual mods.

People stopped doing that for almost every game it seems a couple of years ago for that reason. I'm thankful to and respect modders and all, but them wanting to get paid for it and to hoard every single download is getting to be kinda annoying to the actual user IMHO.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A decent starter mod pack is everything by EnaiSiaion, Guard Dialogue Overhaul, the unofficial patches, Immersive Armor, and a house mod by Elianora.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

also frostfall, open cities and an enb visual mod to taste.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NeoSeeker posted:

Can I get suggestions for a first timer mod pack?

I played vanilla a while ago and couldn't get into it. It seemed too shallow. I'd like mods that introduce depth into the game and gameplay. Cosmetic stuff I could care less about.

• Relationship Dialogue Overhaul. It helps making the NPCs feel more alive, more aware, and less like the broken chatbots they really are.
  • Realistic Conversations will complement the above nicely.
  • Run For Your Lives will make it so that random peasant NPCs will hurry to the flimsy shelter of their thatched roof cottages instead of trying to fight that dragon or vampire with their bare hands. They'll leave these stunts to the professionals, such as guards and player characters. Don't get When Vampires Attack, though, it's been merged in, the page just hasn't been updated to reflect that fact.
  • More Tavern Idles will also help the NPCs behave with more verisimilitude, especially if you make the towns and cities more populated with things like Interesting NPCs or Inconsequential NPCs.
  • DLC Integration makes the content added by Dragonborn, Dawnguard, and Hearthfire fit more seamlessly in the world, so it feels more like a cohesive world and less like a bunch of discrete expansion packs.
  • Cutting Room Floor adds back completed version of cut content. Adds a bit of depth by giving more details to the world.
  • Headtracking makes your character less robotic, though it's borderline cosmetic so skip if you want.
  • SkyTEST Realistic Animals makes it so that predators flee when they're hurt, see fire, or see their pack mates are dead.

For gameplay, it depends a bit more on your tastes.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Looks like I may be delaying modding this up and playing again. Got a number of issues with trying to run Wyre Bash and SSE Edit from MO2. Wyre Bash just doesn't run from MO2 for me, despite a bit of troubleshooting and SSE Edit craps out trying to load esl files (which MO2 can't handle yet which I think is causing the issue). Guess I'll wait for some updates maybe, since it looked like someone was working on some kind of fixes in the MO2 discord channel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of, what is the latest, most up-to-date version of MO2?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Every piece of advice I read about SSE was to use NMM because MO doesn't work well at all with it. Everything I've seen since bears that out. There were updates to NMM for skse64

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/6086198-skse64-and-esl-support-for-nexus-mod-manager/

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Has NMM implemented a virtual file system yet? If not I can’t see how anyone who has ever used MO could tolerate it. One mistake? Enjoy your 4-hour reinstall!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I doubt NMM will ever have VFS. Especially since it's no longer maintained or developed.

Now Vortex, the NMM successor being created by the MO author, might have VFS. But who knows when it'll be available.

Also the PapyrusUtil plugin for SKSE64 has been updated now, so that's all the important SKSE stuff up to date.

I think only SSE Fixes still need to be updated to Skyrim 1.5.16.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 13, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lordshmee posted:

One mistake? Enjoy your 4-hour reinstall!

I've installed and uninstalled a metric poo poo ton of mods in SSE, some of them screwed up my game but uninstalling them had no effect except for the game to become stable again.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Last year I reinstalled Oblivion, spent what I'm pretty sure was a week getting about 100 mods, which I had to dig up from all corners of the internet (since many had vanished from their original hosting, as had many explanations on actually getting them to wok together) and try and get the game to even launch.

Ultimately I'm pretty sure if I'd just only gotten Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul for Oblivion I'd have had just as much fun and spent way less time clicking on giant yellow exclamation marks trying to find out what was missing textures.

To anyone who played base oblivion and OOO, have you found any Skyrim mods which improve Skyrim in the same way? To be fair base Skyrim was way more better than base Oblivion, and it doesn't need quite so radical an overhaul. Bethesda certainly learned a fair bit between the two games. I mean ideally Oscuro would have just made a mod for Skyrim, buuuuut he did such a good job with his Oblivion mod that I remember he was hired by Obsidian to work on Fallout: New Vegas. And googling shows he's actually still with them, working on Pillars of Eternity. Guess that's eaten into his modding time. Still, really cool to see he landed a career out of his modding.

To anyone who hasn't played Oblivion/OOO, let me try and think of the major differences. Some are fixed in base Skyrim.

OOO cranked up the difficulty, you both did and took way more damage. I died a lot more, but no more high level damage sponges to deal with.
Scrapped enemies (and gear on enemies) levelling up with you, generally sticking to the roads whilst low level was your best bet because pretty much everything would tear you a new one. Notices pinned in towns would alert you to particular dangerous areas to be avoided, certain local faction hideouts, etc.

Tinkered with all the skills/magic/weapons to make them balanced and useful.

Added a variety of enemy factions, many of which had strong attitudes towards other factions, fighting with or against them in random encounters. Sometimes sitting back and looting afterwards was a good way to get better gear.

Rebalanced a ton of dungeons and added new ones. There was so much stuff that was manually placed I don't know how long it must've taken. Stuff nearer to town was (not 100% as I've found out a few times) easier, whereas the far edges of the map housed some very dangerous people.

You needed to level up as you did the main quest lines and guilds, the enemies you'd encounter in these quests didn't level with you. You could no longer become champion of the arena/arch mage/listener at level 2. Even the early arena fights would eat you alive at the start.

Added a fair few quests, mostly dealing with the new factions. Some of these faction leaders were utterly insane to deal with unless you were completely decked out and high level. There'd be books and such which would provide lore and start quests involving these factions. Don't think I've ever managed to kill Ancient Lord Volymr or whatever the super vampire was called.

A lot of new weapons and armour, and balancing base weapons and armour to both be much stronger. Good and top gear way more scarce and static. Only much stronger NPC's would ever be wearing Ebony or Glass, for example, and they'd be placed rather than random spawns. I once looked up in the construction set where Daedric Armour loaded. I think there were one or two static loads for each piece of Daedric gear in the entire game. But the top end gear was much stronger as a result. You'd often find/stumble across a strong weapon or piece of armour early on, and that'd help carry you through a lot of tough fights. Finding a rarer piece of equipment was so awesome. Not sure that you can balance this with Skyrim's smithing where you can just make your own.

Basic change to lockpicking so you needed a certain amount of skill to pick more difficult locks. Stops you cleaning out every city immediately. Stolen goods brought in less gold, you needed to sell certain amounts of stolen goods before you'd be given the next thieves guild quest. Then they tinkered with every interior in the game I think, so you'd occasionally find interesting things even in smaller houses. Frequently valuable static chests and items could be found in the houses of nobles and in the castles of the people in charge, up to new unique items you'd only get by breaking and entering. So being a thief was definitely worth it, plus you never knew if you'd turn up something amazing.

Limit to how many potions you could drink in quick succession. Restore health/magic/stamina potions now worked over several seconds instead of being an immediate boost to stop you spamming.

Pretty sure I've lost why I originally made this post. I think I'm just talking myself into playing Oblivion again.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
What you are describing sounds like it could be accomplished by a combination of Morrowloot Ultimate and some other combat-enhancing and balancing mods

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cat Mattress posted:

Now Vortex, the NMM successor being created by the MO author, might have VFS. But who knows when it'll be available.

It's not going to have a MO style VFS at launch or as the default option, it will use virtualization. I believe the reasons for the change are compatibility and reliability reasons.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/13257

tannin goes into detail on why in here

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Legs Benedict posted:

What you are describing sounds like it could be accomplished by a combination of Morrowloot Ultimate and some other combat-enhancing and balancing mods

Awesome I'll have a look.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lordshmee posted:

Has NMM implemented a virtual file system yet? If not I can’t see how anyone who has ever used MO could tolerate it. One mistake? Enjoy your 4-hour reinstall!

Not to the same degree as MO, but yeah it does. And it handles uninstallation properly now as well, and only installed mods get written to the data directory. You lose out on being able to reorganize BSAs and loose textures and poo poo independently of the .esp/.esm, but other than that they're almost feature for feature.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

The Iron Rose posted:

Not to the same degree as MO, but yeah it does. And it handles uninstallation properly now as well, and only installed mods get written to the data directory. You lose out on being able to reorganize BSAs and loose textures and poo poo independently of the .esp/.esm, but other than that they're almost feature for feature.

This is such a good feature, though.

Wait, can you de-activate ESPs that just point to a BSA?

eta: This would probably irk me less if I wasn't 99% sure that this feature isn't in because Arthmoor poo poo a brick about it.

eta2: After actually reading his statement on it, I changed my mind, there's a good reason for doing it the way he is.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 13, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, there is no way in hell I'm going back to caring about what order I install things in like some kind of barbarian.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

http://www.ibtimes.com/bethesda-blocks-skyrim-together-mods-steam-release-2613657

Bethesda isn't allowing Skyrim Together to have a steam release or use any of steam's api for multiplayer. Kinda crappy, but I'm guessing it is more of them not wanting to be liable for any crazy fuckups going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I remember Sounds of Skyrim being a neat fairly early mod, but it isn't in the OP. Have the Audio Overhaul and Immersive Sounds taken its place?