Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Green Labor minority would make me go nuts.

They'll tell Adani to get hosed and lead Queensland into a golden age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Adani get hosed? Yeah probably. QLD becomes not poo poo? :lol:

Edit: wait now I can't remember, is QLD worse than WA? Full disclosure: I live in Perth.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
lead Queensland into a glorious iron age, with hill forts and faux-celtic knotwork

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Deputy Premier TBK

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i throw myself on the sword of being the hated collaborator in exchange for loadsamoney

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

cheese-cube posted:

Edit: wait now I can't remember, is QLD worse than WA? Full disclosure: I live in Perth.

There's that GIF of Bugs Bunny sawing off QLD for a reason.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Brayds2006 posted:

There's that GIF of Bugs Bunny sawing off QLD for a reason.

Coulda sworn I saw one of those for WA, but maybe that was only due to the crackpot sedition thing brought up earlier this year by some state MPs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

thatbastardken posted:

lead Queensland into a glorious iron age, with hill forts and faux-celtic knotwork

I'm thinking more of the ork ironworks in the first Lord Of The Rings movie when Saruman the White tells his minions to build him an army.

"What word from Adani my lord?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qK7cweKy64

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I'm thinking more of the ork ironworks in the first Lord Of The Rings movie when Saruman the White tells his minions to build him an army.

much too efficient

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wait, Sky News had a Greens MP on?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

One nation won 3 upper house seats in WA a few months ago, they're going to win shitloads more in Queensland and have the next government by the balls

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've dealt with many state PHON supporters and holy poo poo they are the worst kind of ignorant.

Edit: ^^^ ahahaha lmaoooo ^^^

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

One nation won 3 upper house seats in WA a few months ago, they're going to win shitloads more in Queensland and have the next government by the balls

we don't have an upper house

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
one nation pollies and supporters are deadshits

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I used to be friends and colleagues with this guy until I found out he was helping a local PHON representative in the lead up to the last WA state election. I kept asking him "how can you support a party full of actual racists" and he kept deflecting the questions with bullshit like "we steer away from racial issues and focus on small government". Who the gently caress was he trying to fool? Anyway it was at that point we went from friends to colleagues and now he left I don't even need to say that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

cheese-cube posted:

I used to be friends and colleagues with this guy until I found out he was helping a local PHON representative in the lead up to the last WA state election. I kept asking him "how can you support a party full of actual racists" and he kept deflecting the questions with bullshit like "we steer away from racial issues and focus on small government". Who the gently caress was he trying to fool? Anyway it was at that point we went from friends to colleagues and now he left I don't even need to say that.

Yeah considering there's literally a party for that that's decidedly less racist (but still quite racist in the way that all libertarians are).

Also how I'm going to cackle if PHON don't get a single seat in Qld, which is a real possibility given its unicameral parliament - bit the Greens win South Brisbane and get the balance of power.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

cheese-cube posted:

Adani get hosed? Yeah probably. QLD becomes not poo poo? :lol:

Fairly certain QLD has the highest percentage of people living in regional areas, so by default it's the worst State. It's my home state and I wish I could say it doesn't suck, but it does.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Also how I'm going to cackle if PHON don't get a single seat in Qld, which is a real possibility given its unicameral parliament - bit the Greens win South Brisbane and get the balance of power.

gently caress me I'll cackle with you, that would be amazing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Could someone please re-post the Bugs Bunny sawing-off-QLD GIF so I can show my mum? TIA

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Krabboss posted:

Fairly certain QLD has the highest percentage of people living in regional areas, so by default it's the worst State. It's my home state and I wish I could say it doesn't suck, but it does.

Would it be possible to have a similar program to the one in Scotland that drove all the highlanders off their land and into the cities? Except driving all the rednecks out of their rural shitholes and into Brisbane?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gay picnic defence posted:

Would it be possible to have a similar program to the one in Scotland that drove all the highlanders off their land and into the cities? Except driving all the rednecks out of their rural shitholes and into the sea?

fixed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

thatbastardken posted:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

#EXCLUSIVE: A poll suggests 49% of Australians believe service providers should be allowed to refuse same-sex weddings, and 9% said they had lied to others about how they voted in the Australian Marriage Equality survey.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

cheese-cube posted:

Could someone please re-post the Bugs Bunny sawing-off-QLD GIF so I can show my mum? TIA

There's a better one of the whole of Australia flying into the sun.

Which if you follow auspol for >1 federal election cycle you'll realise is the only gif that could ever apply to anything here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Has anyone written an article as to why Pauline Hanson appears on Sunrise 9 times out of 10? The Cafe at work has the show on and I've just noticed the sheer frequency of it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Has anyone written an article as to why Pauline Hanson appears on Sunrise 9 times out of 10? The Cafe at work has the show on and I've just noticed the sheer frequency of it.

Only old people watch commercial TV. Therefore pandering to the audience.

Add in the fact that she might say something heavily racist, stupid or sexist, and you have your news story for the day straight off the bat.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Anidav posted:

Maybe she's not busy

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
same reason trump got so much airtime leading up to the us election: ratings

and we all know how that turned out

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

Commercial TV is dying so only fuckwits run it and they are completely out of ideas so they just go with what they know - giving oxygen to some idiot who might say something offensive but not legally culpable and hoping that their brain-dead audience will continue to lap it up.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

You Am I posted:

Only old people watch commercial TV. Therefore pandering to the audience.

Add in the fact that she might say something heavily racist, stupid or sexist, and you have your news story for the day straight off the bat.

But she's been on other 7 shows like Dancing With The Stars. They've been mending her image for years.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
they can't mend away the fact that she said incredibly lovely things about the asian-australian community throughout the 90s, which i hope will be the misstep that stops her from ever getting any real power (unless the liberals decide tomorrow that asian-australians can't vote, which is always a possibility)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Well she get's paid to appear, or at least she did before she was elected

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Sunrise also had milo on - they're the happy normalising side of racism and bigotry.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You reckon all the slick-hair shysters like Paterson know deep down they're homophobic and they're just doing all this "religious protection" poo poo as a fig leaf, or have they successfully deluded themselves?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

You reckon all the slick-hair shysters like Paterson know deep down they're homophobic and they're just doing all this "religious protection" poo poo as a fig leaf, or have they successfully deluded themselves?

Nothing makes me angrier than this bullshit. This is what - the third bill the Libs have brought up to protect discrimination?

No other laws or bills have this type of discussion. But when passing a bill that may, just may reduce systemic discrimination just a bit for a minority these fuckers go screaming and crying that they want to be able to "kick the queers/vilify the indigenous" still. It's disgusting and why it doesn't get called out for what it is baffles me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nothing makes me angrier than this bullshit. This is what - the third bill the Libs have brought up to protect discrimination?

No other laws or bills have this type of discussion. But when passing a bill that may, just may reduce systemic discrimination just a bit for a minority these fuckers go screaming and crying that they want to be able to "kick the queers/vilify the indigenous" still. It's disgusting and why it doesn't get called out for what it is baffles me.

Every time it comes up these people need to be hammered on the question of what type of "freedom" bill they want. Do they want a bill that enshrines freedom to refuse service to women, people of a different race, anyone of a certain religion, LGBTQ people, and on any other grounds?

If so, then that is a far broader discussion outside the enactment of marriage equality.

If they don't want that then they are admitting to it just being about beating up on gay people and can be dismissed as such.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This has literally no way of passing

Anyone who holds and expresses a belief that same-sex relationships are unholy or immoral would also be protected from anti-discrimination laws by the Paterson bill, as would anyone who believes "the normative state of gender is binary".

Furthermore, the proposal tells celebrants it is within their power to decide if a person is "a man or a woman", and allows them to ignore the legal status of an intersex or transgender person if they believe the person isn't really male or female.

And, in a key bone for conservatives, the bill does not actually remove the definition of marriage as between "a man and a woman", inserted under John Howard's leadership in 2004. Instead, it adds a second clause declaring marriage can also be "the union of two people".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Libertarianism!

Senator Paterson told Fairfax Media he was proud to have voted "yes" in the postal survey, but: "30 to 40 per cent of Australians will vote 'no' and I don't want to see their rights and freedoms diminished at all".

He said the protection of "relevant beliefs" about homosexuality was necessary because people's beliefs about marriage were often underpinned by beliefs about same-sex relationships more broadly.

"They have those beliefs for a reason," he said, and without such a clause "we wouldn't really have free speech in this country, and I think that would be a real problem".

Senator Paterson said keeping the old definition of marriage as between a man and a woman would provide "an extra layer of protection" because it was "less likely someone would be discriminated against if that definition remains in the law".

The Victorian senator, a former policy fellow with the Institute of Public Affairs, said he was initially reluctant to put forward an alternative same-sex marriage bill, but did so because no-one else was acting.

• Locked thread