Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm not sure if that's correct. Since Dire Straits predated MTV, I think it's a dig on quick fame from staring in music videos. Hence the focus on his looks and 'seeing' him play instruments - as opposed to hard working rock bands like Dire Straits. Expressed ironically through one of the most popular videos ever made. But they never made any money on the song, so it's okay.

It is correct. The word in question directly in reference to Prince and the way he was perceived. Dire Straits predates MTV but "Money for Nothing" was released in 1985. After Purple Rain.

Speaking of TV things that haven't aged well. When that video came out people were blown away by the computer graphics. The entirety of MTV has aged badly, only in reverse in a lot of ways. Oddly, they've been on the cutting edge of a lot of stuff, from basically inventing "reality TV" with "The Real World", to bringing hip hop and metal into the mainstream and giving us people like Mike Judge and Jon Stewart.

Shows like "Yo MTV Raps", "Headbangers Ball" , "120 Minutes" and "Liquid Television" essentially brought Rap, Metal, Alternative/College music and, one could argue, animation into the mainstream. They also ruined a lot of things about music as well and I don't pretend to know what the gently caress MTV is now but for a while there, they were pretty relevant and introduced me to a LOT of good music that I'd never been exposed to, especially with "120 Minutes".

They also gave us "The Young Ones" which still holds up, IMO.

E:

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I always treated it as a blue-collar guy angry/jealous that while he has to schlep furniture around to make money, he's exposed to these "faggots" prancing around with weird hair playing music making enough bank to cruise around on jet airplanes.

That's exactly what the song was about and it was also taking a piss on MTV at the same time (Sting's sarcastic chorus at the end). It's hard to underestimate how loving HUGE MtV really was for a while there and a lot of artists really loving hated it and resented having to do videos and poo poo.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Josef bugman posted:

Hey! They are also making noises whilst smashing the toys together.

And also constantly changing the story on how the toys were actually smashed together last year, that they were actually smashed together in a different way, also they were under the control of the new toys.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The talk of censoring out so much from rap songs reminds me of a weekend update skit I once saw years ago where the joke was Eminem and Lil Wayne were showing off a new song they did and self censoring. The actors ended up only like saying the conjunctions and stuff in the lines, covering up their own mouths like 90% of the time over the beat

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The funniest censored song I've ever heard was gently caress Forever by Babyshambles because the chorus is just "gently caress Foreveeeeeeer!" and taking out the gently caress just left this awkward gaping pause that put the whole thing out of wack. The main reason this is funny to me is because late in the song Pete repeats the line "They will never play this on the radio" a few times because I'm pretty sure the band just assumed that no one would be stupid enough to make a clean version of a song that literally has profanity in the title.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FreudianSlippers posted:

The funniest censored song I've ever heard was gently caress Forever by Babyshambles because the chorus is just "gently caress Foreveeeeeeer!" and taking out the gently caress just left this awkward gaping pause that put the whole thing out of wack. The main reason this is funny to me is because late in the song Pete repeats the line "They will never play this on the radio" a few times because I'm pretty sure the band just assumed that no one would be stupid enough to make a clean version of a song that literally has profanity in the title.

I was surprised as hell when I found out that CeeLo Green's Forget You was censored for the radio because of that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There was nothing like telling people who had only ever heard that song on lite rock waiting room radio "You know it's really called gently caress You, right?"

I'm not sure why the Black Eyed Peas thought it was a good idea to call a song "Let's Get Retarded" though

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

There was nothing like telling people who had only ever heard that song on lite rock waiting room radio "You know it's really called gently caress You, right?"

I'm not sure why the Black Eyed Peas thought it was a good idea to call a song "Let's Get Retarded" though

The Black Eyed Peas? Doing something stupid?! No way! :monocle:

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Rirse posted:

My favorite is the radio edit for this Everclear song where the last part is about some guy pulling out a gun think during a drug deal, but it beep so much the song lyrics are almost literally "And he pulled out his ****** ***** *** and was dead".

The government censors the word gun but lets people keep the real ones :black101:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along the lines of things that didn't age well from television and music: Are really long videos still a thing even on the near endless airplay of a Youtube video or have audiences more or less given up on wanting the epic mini-movie videos that were so popular in the 90s and early 00s?

But I remember the heyday of them in the 80-90s. The epic Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, Puff Daddy, GnR, Meatloaf, etc. videos that were honest EVENTS with extended pre-middle-post narrative stuff because the song just wasn't enough.

Heck, I recently watched "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls and over 1/4th of 4 minute video doesn't even have the song in it. It's them running around being gleeful.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
90% of the time I'm watching a music video it's because Youtube is the easiest way to hear a song on demand for me and therefore I'm barely paying attention to it. This is why I love Scooter's music videos. Their music is over the top club music that you'd have fun with after you're drunk off your rear end and correspondingly their music videos are packed full of ridiculous non-sequitur poo poo interspersed with a cocaine fueled H.P. Baxxter yelling into the mic while surrounded by mostly naked (sometimes fully naked) hot chicks because gently caress it, we all know why you're here.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along the lines of things that didn't age well from television and music: Are really long videos still a thing even on the near endless airplay of a Youtube video or have audiences more or less given up on wanting the epic mini-movie videos that were so popular in the 90s and early 00s?

But I remember the heyday of them in the 80-90s. The epic Michael Jackson, Spice Girls, Puff Daddy, GnR, Meatloaf, etc. videos that were honest EVENTS with extended pre-middle-post narrative stuff because the song just wasn't enough.

Heck, I recently watched "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls and over 1/4th of 4 minute video doesn't even have the song in it. It's them running around being gleeful.

I heard the music video budgets went down a lot because people watch them mostly on phones now and so high quality camera work and expensive effects and settings aren't as important as it was in the 90s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In the age of YouTube you'd think it's a better time than ever to have music videos as short films, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the music video for Here we Go (a song that was reworked to be the Totally Spies theme song) because it has a really interesting visual halfway through (about 1:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e60G9pxOE-Y

I like the visual on the country road, because during the slow part of the song, she dusts herself off and then lies down in the road in a seemingly controlled manner after being dropped off in a car, but if your looking closely the shot ends up mirrored - the entire second half after she sits on the abandoned car nearby is reversed footage, of completely different events, made obvious when after she is in her prone position in the asphalt, the chorus kicks off and she suddenly gets pulled into the car that's pulled up behind her making the trick obvious - that she was actually literally dumped, camped out on a nearby burnout car and hitched home with the first car that was shown.

It's a clever visual that I enjoyed.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Nov 12, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Ballad of Chasey Lain radio edit was pretty bad

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How about misogyny in music? The 60's were full of this.

"Lightning Strikes" - Lou Christie - Basically a song where the guy tells his girlfriend to be faithful to him and he'll give her that beautiful wedding she wants, but he gets to screw anything that moves.

quote:

If she gives me a sign
That she wants to make time (stop)
I can't stop (stop)
I can't stop myself
(Stop, stop)

"She's a Lady" - Tom Jones - He praises his woman - as long as she knows her place.

quote:

Well, she's all you'd ever want
She's the kind I like to flaunt and take to dinner
But she always knows her place
She's got style, she's got grace, she's a winner

"He Hit Me (and it felt like a kiss)" - The Crystals - She fools around with another guy. He smacks hewr around. She's cool with it.

quote:

If he didn't care for me
I could have never made him mad
But he hit me,
And I was glad

"Johnny Get Angry" - Joanie Sommers - Well, there's this:

quote:

Every girl wants someone who
She can always look up to
You know I love you, of course
Let me know that you're the boss

Do people still write stuff like this? I can't imagine it today.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did you somehow miss 'Blurred Lines'? You lucky devil.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

bitterandtwisted posted:

God that song was awful. Thanks for reminding me of its existence.

Anyone who likes to reminisce about terrible late 90s/early 2000s music should listen to the That Awful Sound podcast. A lot of them focus on terrible Lit/Limp Bizkit/generic rap rock music.

The Bucket by Kings of Leon has a really weird example of censorship. There’s a line that goes ‘you kick the bucket and I’ll swing my (blank)’. For ages, I assumed he was just singing about swinging his dick, which seemed out of place for a moody indie song. But apparently the line is ‘I’ll swing my legs’, which was cut because it’s a reference to hanging.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

It is correct. The word in question directly in reference to Prince and the way he was perceived. Dire Straits predates MTV but "Money for Nothing" was released in 1985. After Purple Rain.

Okay, I was wrong about the song being about real-life delivery workers, although I think there is still a metaphor in there somewhere. However, I've found nothing that references Prince. I always figured it was more a dig on WHAM! or other more poppy music. I mean it's possible, I was just curious if that's something that Knopfler or someone ever admitted. I took it in part as criticism towards singers who don't play their own instruments, or something easy like bongos. Prince wouldn't fall into that category.

And it was a little weird looking up Prince's and Dire Straits' album dates and realizing they both released their first records in 1978.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

HopperUK posted:

Did you somehow miss 'Blurred Lines'? You lucky devil.

I had heard about the lawsuit.

And I just looked up the lyrics. Yikes.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sir Lemming posted:

The one-two punch of Columbine and 9/11 definitely ushered in a golden age of weird censorship. I was just thinking the other day (no idea why) of that Limp Bizkit ft. Method Man song where they censored out the word "sword" from the line, "Brought a sword to the dance floor to cut a rug."

They were trying to improve the song, Fred Durst was like an ear-blight

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

funmanguy posted:

They were trying to improve the song, Fred Durst was like an ear-blight

Ah but that was a Method Man line. Actually, they had an odd habit of censoring his black guest rappers more harshly than him :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had heard about the lawsuit.

And I just looked up the lyrics. Yikes.

The result of the lawsuit might age worse than the song.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mister Kingdom posted:

"She's a Lady" - Tom Jones - He praises his woman - as long as she knows her place.

quote:

Well, she's all you'd ever want
She's the kind I like to flaunt and take to dinner
But she always knows her place
She's got style, she's got grace, she's a winner

quote:

He has no style, he has no grace
This Kong has a funny face
He can handstand when he needs to
And stretch his arms out, just for you
Inflate himself just like a balloon
This crazy Kong just digs this tune

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Really? There's endless examples of horribly misogynistic lyrics in todays music, especially in rap.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

BiggerBoat posted:

Really? There's endless examples of horribly misogynistic lyrics in todays music, especially in rap.

I didn't even consider rap.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't want to be the one who mentioned rap.

A lot of popular music sung by men is questionable, but holy poo poo some of the rap music my kid listens to. :corsair:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If we're talking misogynistic songs, then can we at least include the best one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYTLJ8YHi4

Still my favorite Rolling Stones song though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The lyrics transcription of Bobby Goldsboro's Honey doesn't convey just how awful that song is:

quote:

Was just a twig...
Then the first snow came,
And she ran out to brush the snow away
So it wouldn't die...
Came runnin' in all excited
Slipped and almost hurt herself
And i laughed 'til i cried...
She was always young at heart
Kinda dumb, and kinda smart
And i loved her so...

Honey is also in its own creepy category of death songs during that era: Tell Laura I Love Her, Last Kiss, Leader of the Pack, etc.

There are a bunch of 1950s-60s songs with the obviously adult singer lusting after a teenager.

You're Sixteen posted:

You walked out of my dreams, and into my car
Now you're my angel divine
You're sixteen, you're beautiful, and you're mine
You're sixteen, so beautiful, and you're mine
You're sixteen, you're beautiful, and you're mine

Sixteen Candles posted:

You're only sixteen but you're my teenage queen
You're the prettiest, the loveliest girl I've ever seen
Sixteen candles in my heart will glow
Forever and ever
For I love you so

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMU-tCiWncw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

enough is enough

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the song!

I was watching Top of the Pops aged 10 when this first came out. They were doing the charts countdown, and a few seconds into the intro of this they had the host walk in front of the recording with a "nope, no, not doing this".

I have spent the past seventeen years wondering why. I would lie awake at night chewing over what could possibly have been so dreadful that they couldn't play it.

And now I know.

Bit of a letdown tbh.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

quote:

Forever
It's been hours seems like days
Since you went away

And all I do is check the screen
To see if you're okay
You don't answer when I phone
Guess you want to be left alone

So I'm sending you my heart, my soul
And this is what I'll say

I'm sorry
Oh so sorry
Can't you give me one more chance
To make it all up to you

E-mail my heart
And say our love will never die (and I)
I know you're out there
And I know that you still care (I know you care)
E-mail me back and say our love will stay alive
Forever e-mail my heart, woah

I can see you in my mind
Coming on the line
And opening this letter
That I've sent a hundred times

Here's a picture of us two (us two)
I look so good on you (on you)
And can't you please forgive me
For the hurt I put you through

I'm sorry
Oh so sorry
To make it all up to you

E-mail my heart
I know you're out there
And I know that you still care (I know that you still care)
Forever (what-cha say, what-cha say, what-cha say)
E-mail my heart

I'm sorry
Oh so sorry
To make it all up to
E-mail my heart
I know you're out there
And I know that you still care (I know that you still care)
Forever
E-mail my heart

Britney Spears was ahead of her time in that she had the technological aptitude of a 50 year old at age 18.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Honey is also in its own creepy category of death songs during that era: Tell Laura I Love Her, Last Kiss, Leader of the Pack, etc.

That genre survived into the 70s with "Run Joey Run". Abusive father, dead daughter. I give it points for being waaaaay over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT2LGv-s3xQ

A B-side, but in the same style:

R Dean Taylor's "Back Street" - Guy's girlfriend gets pregnant by another guy. He dumps her. Her family disowns her. Her friends abandon her. She has the baby and has to become a prostitute to feed her baby. One night, she has had enough. Leaves the baby at the former boyfriend's house and is found dead in the street the next morning. Merry Christmas, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91jHsCfkXxU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah but that was a Method Man line. Actually, they had an odd habit of censoring his black guest rappers more harshly than him :shrug:

Good point.

That reminds me of the hubbub surrounding eminem using the word human being like 11 times on an album and lots of people being up in arms about it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the song!

I was watching Top of the Pops aged 10 when this first came out. They were doing the charts countdown, and a few seconds into the intro of this they had the host walk in front of the recording with a "nope, no, not doing this".

I have spent the past seventeen years wondering why. I would lie awake at night chewing over what could possibly have been so dreadful that they couldn't play it.

And now I know.

Bit of a letdown tbh.

Glad I could help solve your childhood mystery about eating rear end!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The lyrics transcription of Bobby Goldsboro's Honey doesn't convey just how awful that song is:

There are a bunch of 1950s-60s songs with the obviously adult singer lusting after a teenager.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/05/01/statutory-rape-laws-in-the-u-s/?utm_term=.6791fa76c9e8

If that is behind a paywall the relevant info is here: https://books.google.com.tw/books?i...1920%22&f=false

For all these songs it was 16 because in most of the country that was the age of consent, so it was the lowest number you could get away with. If rock and roll was going to be corrupting the youth, talking about young kids loving is going to be it. The raising of the age of consent laws throughout the country goes hand-in-hand with the White Slavery panics of the late 19th/early 20th century. As more young women worked outside of the home (and for the poorer classes, the most common job was a domestic servant) they needed to be "protected." It was also seen as a way to lesson pregnancy out of wedlock. The current laws in the US come from this shift in labor forces along with the greater participation in twelve grade secondary education.

edit: this is also where I learn the singer of 16 Candles (Johnny Maestro) was 19 when he sang the song but the writer of the song was 28.

GoutPatrol has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Nov 12, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My favorite Rolling Stones album has always Brennan beggars banquet, except for stray cat blues. Even when I was 15 that's song was weird and creepy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My favourite up-beat song about murder is I Did What I Did For Maria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGKv9pYmKU

RC and Moon Pie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548saL8kjn4

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

How about misogyny in music? The 60's were full of this.

"Lightning Strikes" - Lou Christie - Basically a song where the guy tells his girlfriend to be faithful to him and he'll give her that beautiful wedding she wants, but he gets to screw anything that moves.

"He Hit Me (and it felt like a kiss)" - The Crystals - She fools around with another guy. He smacks hewr around. She's cool with it.

"Johnny Get Angry" - Joanie Sommers - Well, there's this:

There's also that Rolling Stones song...

Solice Kirsk posted:

If we're talking misogynistic songs, then can we at least include the best one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYTLJ8YHi4

Still my favorite Rolling Stones song though.

Goddamit! Well, how about this one:

quote:

Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end ah little girl

Well I know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line

Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead

I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am

Or this one:

quote:

There she goes again
She's out on the streets again
She's down on her knees, my friend
But you know she'll never ask you please again

Now take a look, there's no tears in her eyes
She won't take it from just any guy, what can you do
You see her walkin' on down the street
Look at all your friends she's gonna meet
You better hit her

There she goes again
She's knocked out on her feet again
She's down on her knees, my friend
But you know she'll never ask you please again

Like a bird, you know she would fly, what can you do
You see her walkin' on down the street
Look at all your friends that she's gonna meet
You better hit her

Like a bird, you know she will fly, fly, fly away
See her walking on down the street
Look at all your friends that she's gonna meet

She's gonna bawl and shout
She's gonna work it
She's gonna work it out, bye bye
Bye bye baby
All right

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Johnny Cash's Cocaine Blues is good because of all the convicts cheering about murdering a woman on the live album.