Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Shbobdb posted:

What are some other good Nasty Nantes-esque starts? I want to start small but have the potential to get weird.

Some of the smaller Nomads can do some weird stuff - start as a bit player on the Steppe Thunderdome, beat up the other Nomads to build up land and manpower, take the Tarim Basin and the settled parts of Central Asia for somewhere to raze, then take your huge horde and do an invasion of, like, France or something and settle Paris with Zoroastrian Khirghiz tribesmen.

I love Nomads so much. I'm pretty sure the horde retinues are overpowered too - I massed horse archers, which was apparently the worst choice, and was still destroying larger armies of Byzantine levies with minimal casualties in Greece. Can't wait for Jade Dragon just to have more people to raze.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

JoshTheStampede posted:

Well, I don't directly hold the county his barony is in, my vassal (or possibly my vassal's vassal) does. There's an Intrigue event to vassalize the order, so maybe I have to do it that way (I don't yet qualify for that one.)

A couple days ago, but yeah the intrigue event is the only easy way for an americanist to get the mib vassalized. iirc, it’s not that much more challenging than reforming America so if you’ve got the requirements for that then getting the mib on board should be easy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm also playing without satanism, which I'm sure is even more overpowered and historically inaccurate, but probably pretty handy if you're trying to powergame on iron man.

It's... not actually that overpowered, but it is hilarious and historically inaccurate. You get a lot of new ways to kill people (some of which come with small perks, like the Health bonus for eating one of your children), the ability to force people to like you better, and the ability to have a devil child, but it has the cost of making your character slowly become an insane wreck who everybody hates, and the event chains are also dangerous as gently caress.

e: more specifically, there's an event chain that happens very very often with Satanists that makes you think you're about to off one of your rivals, but there's a very large chance that if you go with it, it'll kill one of your courtiers (or your wife or one of your children). I think I've done the event chain maybe thirty times and only had it actually work out as planned once; I'm not sure what specifically is going on with it, but if an event pops up about how you hate some rear end in a top hat in the cult and want to kill him, just ignore it and kidnap/sacrifice or Tainted Touch him instead.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 11, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Games > Crusader Kings II: Perks like the Health Bonus For Eating One of Your Children

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I guess I'm sort of weird in that the ahistorical aspects of the game are my favorite parts. As a history nerd, it's a delight to see what kind of crazy poo poo goes down in each game. The supernatural events and advanced technology keep the game from becoming too dry for me. I also suck at strategy games, so having some avenues in which to buff myself a bit are nice.

I always play with women's rights too because why the gently caress not (kinda nice to have more uses for daughters and more options for good councilors)? Maybe I have a love-hate relationship with history.

e: oh, I get sweet satisfaction from watching the Aztecs run rough-shod over the Umayyads or the Karlings too. Sometimes they get both in one invasion.

PizzaProwler fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 11, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FELD1 posted:

I guess I'm sort of weird in that the ahistorical aspects of the game are my favorite parts. As a history nerd, it's a delight to see what kind of crazy poo poo goes down in each game. The supernatural events and advanced technology keep the game from becoming too dry for me. I also suck at strategy games, so having some avenues in which to buff myself a bit are nice.

I always play with women's rights too because why the gently caress not (kinda nice to have more uses for daughters and more options for good councilors)? Maybe I have a love-hate relationship with history.

e: oh, I get sweet satisfaction from watching the Aztecs run rough-shod over the Umayyads or the Karlings too. Sometimes they get both in one invasion.

Well some people see a distinction between "ahistorical but plausible" (things like women's rights, pagan reformation, etc.) vs. "supernatural" like immortality, werewolves, satanism, etc. But that's why they added the ability to turn the latter off. Personally I would find the supernatural stuff a bit much if it was overdone, but I think that CK2 has kept a nice balance with the supernatural stuff where it's rare enough to feel special, and a good chunk of it falls under the category of maybe just being a superstitious interpretation of a natural event, like the "portal to hell" or demonspawn chains.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well some people see a distinction between "ahistorical but plausible" (things like women's rights, pagan reformation, etc.) vs. "supernatural" like immortality, werewolves, satanism, etc. But that's why they added the ability to turn the latter off. Personally I would find the supernatural stuff a bit much if it was overdone, but I think that CK2 has kept a nice balance with the supernatural stuff where it's rare enough to feel special, and a good chunk of it falls under the category of maybe just being a superstitious interpretation of a natural event, like the "portal to hell" or demonspawn chains.

Yeah, with you here. I like an inkling of the supernatural, just enough to leave you wondering, but the Satanists are right out.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Satanists are one thing but where's the option to turn off Glitterhoof posts?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Satanists are one thing but where's the option to turn off Glitterhoof posts?

Gliterhoof is stale. I'd turn him off too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, while it's fun to have a rare event chain for something like a horrible hell cave opening up in your demesne, when you have a whole thing where you can focus long-term on worshipping satan with major gameplay implications, it's less of a little goof in your medieval game, and more putting a fairly shallow fantasy game in your medieval game. And if I'm not personally the one doing the satan-worship, it's just one more thing that can go wrong in my game. I wouldn't want to have an enemy be a satanist, but I feel like having a great councilor turn out to be a goblin-worshipping heretic would be even worse.

Also, I finally bit the bullet and seceded from West Francia, and now that I've formed Frisia, all the easy targets I'm picking on are pushing me towards the classical borders of Lotharingia, and I'm wondering what the thread has to say about picking good borders? I'm probably going to take some more bites out of West Francia before I'm done, and East Francia would probably be an easy target, but a lot of its land is poor garbage.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also, I finally bit the bullet and seceded from West Francia, and now that I've formed Frisia, all the easy targets I'm picking on are pushing me towards the classical borders of Lotharingia, and I'm wondering what the thread has to say about picking good borders? I'm probably going to take some more bites out of West Francia before I'm done, and East Francia would probably be an easy target, but a lot of its land is poor garbage.

Borders generally aren't too big of a strategic consideration because there's no "military access" treaties or anything, so enemies are free to attack you from any direction regardless of where your borders are. The main thing you want to worry about is maintaining a contiguous realm, since it allows you to gather your levies in one place before engaging any enemy armies - if your territory is split up all over the place, it's easy for a freshly raised levy to be intercepted and wiped out before joining up with your main forces (there are ways to manage this like raising levies manually through the province interface rather than all at once, but it's more micromanagey). Also there's generally no such thing as "poor garbage" land - more land is always better. The number of holding slots should really only be a consideration for what you're including in your own personal demense.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm fine with both Glitterhoof and the Satanic stuff. Unless you're directly involved in the Satanics they may as well not even be there. You're far more likely to have trouble with secret cults than Satanics. And Glitterhoof can be immediately replaced and isn't an issue.

Besides, it's funny to use your apprentice slot to make a horse a member of the Hermetics or make it take the vows so that it puts on a funny hat. Glitterhoof never lasts long.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm fine with both Glitterhoof and the Satanic stuff. Unless you're directly involved in the Satanics they may as well not even be there. You're far more likely to have trouble with secret cults than Satanics. And Glitterhoof can be immediately replaced and isn't an issue.

Besides, it's funny to use your apprentice slot to make a horse a member of the Hermetics or make it take the vows so that it puts on a funny hat. Glitterhoof never lasts long.
Unless you're immortal and make him that too, because he's a guaranteed friend

which is pretty great tbh

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Unless you're immortal and make him that too, because he's a guaranteed friend

which is pretty great tbh

Or imprison Glitterhoof and torture him. Although that may be flogging a dead horse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The horse councilor event chain is neat and good but the community preponderance on it has been weird for years and there only being one horse name and it being really silly implies the only reason it doesn't pull from a normal name list is because the devs enjoy smelling their fart of a joke.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

zedprime posted:

The horse councilor event chain is neat and good but the community preponderance on it has been weird for years and there only being one horse name and it being really silly implies the only reason it doesn't pull from a normal name list is because the devs enjoy smelling their fart of a joke.

I agree. Insane rulers should not be calling their Horse Chancellors silly names like Glitterhoof.

Hopefully Jade Dragon will address this and add Colin, Steve and Brian to the potential horse name list to make it more realistic.

If this isn’t sorted I can’t see Paradox recovering their reputation with fans tbh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The one time I form Afghanistan as the Zunbils without the Abbasids owning me and Paradox releases an expansion pack!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

The one time I form Afghanistan as the Zunbils without the Abbasids owning me and Paradox releases an expansion pack!
Yeah, I have been planning to do a tutorial thread for that for ages and finally when I get to do it

they redesign the whole place :(

Also I feel like religious cults should let you design who the next leader should be for a cost, maybe both of society currency and power, because there are few things as poo poo as poo poo as being on the verge of getting some pretty powerful dudes on your side only for the idiot in charge deciding that now, before you can force some powerful vassals into the independence faction with favours, is the best time to reveal your religion > : [

(That was a Zun run too, but I was playing as the Mandé. It's pretty hilarious how good the combo of tribal and /fake/ Muslim can be. Just gotta beeline for the north before the drat Abbs take too much land)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Horse MD has done a better job curing my butt cancer than most of my "real" doctors.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There are other horse names, but doesn't the Glitterhoof event choose that name specifically? Could you just go into the event and comment out that bit and get the other names?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i like the supernatural stuff because it basically comes across as 'what if all the superstitions people believed in those times were 100% accurate'

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My ruler's real long in the tooth, and I've got one last grand scheme to push a bunch of claims on West Francia so my heir can inherit them, but for some reason I can't declare war because the game thinks two of my close family members are being held hostage by the French king: Me, and my adult landed heir grandson.

Even when I killed the king, his son had the same weird thing going on. Is there any way to deal with this?

edit: I mean look at this garbage

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 13, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I love the supernatural stuff but the satanist thing might be a little overpowered.

I had a ruler become the satanist high priest or something and then it was like I had activated some cheat mode

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Has its price though. A long lived satanist ends up with an absolute stack of lovely traits and the rampant use of murder makes you widely hated. You pretty much end up in a cycle of murder to keep rivals pruned back because if they get a chance to unite you may not win the resulting revolt. I've had it backfire on me before. Plus since everybody hates you more over time plot strengths tend to go lower in my experience.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Has its price though. A long lived satanist ends up with an absolute stack of lovely traits and the rampant use of murder makes you widely hated. You pretty much end up in a cycle of murder to keep rivals pruned back because if they get a chance to unite you may not win the resulting revolt. I've had it backfire on me before. Plus since everybody hates you more over time plot strengths tend to go lower in my experience.

Unless you're an immortal merchant republic Doge :getin:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So when you have your Court Chaplain hunting apostates and he keeps hauling them in is there any actual downside to just burning them all at the stake? I assumed there would be some sort of outrage from somebody but nobody seems to care. In fact when I flambeed one guy his wife's opinion of me went up.

I was kind of cautious about it at first but now it's just a giant apostate BBQ.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

evenworse username posted:

So when you have your Court Chaplain hunting apostates and he keeps hauling them in is there any actual downside to just burning them all at the stake? I assumed there would be some sort of outrage from somebody but nobody seems to care. In fact when I flambeed one guy his wife's opinion of me went up.

I was kind of cautious about it at first but now it's just a giant apostate BBQ.

Take my wife...please

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Burn anyone you don't care about

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Unless you're an immortal merchant republic Doge :getin:

Man I keep wanting this to happen because merchant republics are like the main reason to ever use Satanics but even still I have yet to succeed at the immortality event chain.

binge crotching posted:

Burn anyone you don't care about

This except also don't burn relatives because of kinslayer and also let council members who are loyalists off the hook. I used to just burn the piss outta loving everybody else but these days I at least take a quick look at their opinion of me and if they're generally fond of me and don't have a religious sympathy or secret society suspicion trait I let them be. If they've got a religious sympathy trait you can all but guarantee they're part of a secret cult and gently caress those bastards.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 15, 2017

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

This except also don't burn relatives because of kinslayer

The fun thing about this guy is I landed him when he was my heir and by the time he inherited, he had already picked up Kinslayer. I was a little pissed at first, but once you have Kinslayer, it's really quite liberating, because you can just stab *so many people*. I took apart an entire Gavelkind faction (composed mostly of relatives) by having them all killed because why the gently caress not at that point?

Of course, none of those plots got discovered. Of course.

Eventually an event fired that I've never seen before where you can pay some gold and piety to lose Kinslayer.

I honestly had to think about it, and now more importantly, I have to remember I don't have it any more.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is the court chaplain ever wrong about apostates?Ive been assuming that he's right and basically everyone in my court is a closet heretic because, well, when I got M&M they were.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

MinistryofLard posted:

Is the court chaplain ever wrong about apostates?Ive been assuming that he's right and basically everyone in my court is a closet heretic because, well, when I got M&M they were.

That was part of what was making me cautious originally. A lot of times the people he's been hauling in have stuff like Possessed, Lunatic or Wicked Priest so it seems good enough for me basically? However in only one case did he specify that they were a member of Lucifer's Own.

I guess sometimes it triggers off actual cult shenanigans and sometimes just 'well that dude acts funny'.

I've stopped asking questions.

Light 'em up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That was part of what was making me cautious originally. A lot of times the people he's been hauling in have stuff like Possessed, Lunatic or Wicked Priest so it seems good enough for me basically? However in only one case did he specify that they were a member of Lucifer's Own.

I guess sometimes it triggers off actual cult shenanigans and sometimes just 'well that dude acts funny'.

I've stopped asking questions.

Light 'em up.

Now you’re thinking with portals bonfires.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The fun thing about this guy is I landed him when he was my heir and by the time he inherited, he had already picked up Kinslayer. I was a little pissed at first, but once you have Kinslayer, it's really quite liberating, because you can just stab *so many people*. I took apart an entire Gavelkind faction (composed mostly of relatives) by having them all killed because why the gently caress not at that point?

Of course, none of those plots got discovered. Of course.

Eventually an event fired that I've never seen before where you can pay some gold and piety to lose Kinslayer.

I honestly had to think about it, and now more importantly, I have to remember I don't have it any more.

I think that event can come from asking the pope to forgive your sins.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is there any screenshots/info on the features in Jade Dragon that have been shown off in streams? I'm curious as to how Taoism and Monastic Feudalism work.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

MotU posted:

i like the supernatural stuff because it basically comes across as 'what if all the superstitions people believed in those times were 100% accurate'

This just reminded me of that EU3 mod maker who insisted dragons were actually real and so him putting dragons in his mod was historically accurate.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

I think that event can come from asking the pope to forgive your sins.

I didn't though. Maybe because I'm in the Benedictines.

e: Trying to think of a blaze of glory (hah) for this guy since I guess the save is about to become unplayable when the new patch drops tomorrow.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

tombom posted:

This just reminded me of that EU3 mod maker who insisted dragons were actually real and so him putting dragons in his mod was historically accurate.

That was the Terra Nova mod, I think? By... Darken?

Fun times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Red Bones posted:

Is there any screenshots/info on the features in Jade Dragon that have been shown off in streams? I'm curious as to how Taoism and Monastic Feudalism work.
I think the full patchnotes went into them but if not I'll share them tomorrow~ (Though no doubt you'll have gotten it too at that point)

Also I am pissed that Sunset Invasion ain't getting the China treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also I am pissed that Sunset Invasion ain't getting the China treatment

If there is anything that will take away my ability to feel human, it is not giving Sunset Invasion the update it needs.

• Locked thread