Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If Pokemon comes out next year on Switch the demand for the console will manifest physically into a singularity that will consume our entire galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If Pokemon comes out next year on Switch the demand for the console will manifest physically into a singularity that will consume our entire galaxy
Pokemon Switch and Switch Mini come out on the same day (November 9th 2018) and signal the final end of the 3DS.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Blades Ateliers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Smug Skeleton Pirate will be my Bladesona.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

He looks a bit like Captain Kidd from P5 actually.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure what you're expecting here, it's a new release on the Switch, but it's a year old on other platforms.

Honestly it is a little odd, given that it seems more often than not you either see:

1. cross platform price parity at launch (obviously couldn't happen with the switch, but)

2. cross platform ports later at the same price but "all DLC"/"director's cut edition" versions with more content to justify charging full price on the new platform (Skyrim being the obvious comparison since it's even from the same publisher, but Resident Evil 4's Gamecube->PS2 port is another one that jumps immediately to mind)

Skyrim's shipping with all DLC and Zelda mod skins, every Wii U port came over with all DLC included as did Disgaea 5, and most of the indie games that have come over without new content are already in the sub-$20 range for the most part (and some of them like Rocket League and Minecraft have Nintendo-themed content anyways). A $60 year-old port with no new content is a bit of an outlier :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd buy DOOM if it were $40, but paying $60 for it when you can get it in a Steam sale for $15 (and I'd likely never play it handheld much anyway) is a tough pill to swallow.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I can't wait for Pauline and the Broodals to be future Mario Kart 8 Switch DLC, and New Donk City as a racetrack
The next mario kart should literally have an Odyssey cup, there's at least like 10 good tracks in there

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The next mario kart should literally have an Odyssey cup, there's at least like 10 good tracks in there

True post here

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
doesn't Bandai Namco publish FROM stuff like dark souls? ...are FROM doing metroid?

because i can't imagine bandai namco doing metroid prime 4 and what that would be like unless from are doing. my hype might have died from these 100% real rumours.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly it is a little odd, given that it seems more often than not you either see:

1. cross platform price parity at launch (obviously couldn't happen with the switch, but)

2. cross platform ports later at the same price but "all DLC"/"director's cut edition" versions with more content to justify charging full price on the new platform (Skyrim being the obvious comparison since it's even from the same publisher, but Resident Evil 4's Gamecube->PS2 port is another one that jumps immediately to mind)

Skyrim's shipping with all DLC and Zelda mod skins, every Wii U port came over with all DLC included as did Disgaea 5, and most of the indie games that have come over without new content are already in the sub-$20 range for the most part (and some of them like Rocket League and Minecraft have Nintendo-themed content anyways). A $60 year-old port with no new content is a bit of an outlier :shrug:

Switch Doom does have all its DLC included, only all the DLC for Doom is multiplayer stuff no-one ever gave a poo poo about.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

all the dlc is free on every platform now.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesn't Bandai Namco publish FROM stuff like dark souls? ...are FROM doing metroid?

because i can't imagine bandai namco doing metroid prime 4 and what that would be like unless from are doing. my hype might have died from these 100% real rumours.

Chozo and Metroids would fit in pretty well in Yharnam lore. There is even a Mother Brain.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Digital Foundry did a deep dive into DOOM Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnUHecJ01U
Highlights include:
  • Resolution is dynamic but stays around 620p
  • The game plays at 30fps but there are frame pacing issues
  • The game slows down during larger firefights
  • Load times are good

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
isnt frame pacing some dumb thing the neogaf sex offenders made up to make them sound smart when talking about graphics?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I like how they call it dynamic resolution instead of something more negative which is more deserved. It’s not like dynamic lighting that actually improves quality of the game, it’s just a compromise that obviously makes the game look worse so it can be playable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Metroid Souls, Metroid Core, 3D Dot Game Metroid

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

isnt frame pacing some dumb thing the neogaf sex offenders made up to make them sound smart when talking about graphics?

No.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I like how they call it dynamic resolution instead of something more negative which is more deserved. It’s not like dynamic lighting that actually improves quality of the game, it’s just a compromise that obviously makes the game look worse so it can be playable.
dynamic is the opposite of static, it's just a word that means it changes, it's not a qualitative judgement

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ErIog posted:

Sure, some of the Namco Bandai stuff is probably likely, but a lot of the rest of it sounds like "My uncle works at Nintendo and..."

Anyone who plays Super Mario Odyssey has an Uncle who works at Nintendo telling them secrets...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would buy the poo poo out of Dark Souls on the Switch. Goddamn.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Please disregard any leaks that say Breath of Fire characters are going into Marvel vs. Capcom.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Lmao! Ok guy

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Vikar Jerome posted:

Frame pacing means that frames appear on-screen for variable lengths of time. You're getting 30 frames per second, but frames may not be on-screen for the same time, which makes the game feel like it's stuttering. Digital Foundry Guy says it's something that typically can be patched out.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Dynamic resolution means the game isn't being rendered at a fixed, or static, resolution. Rather, the resolution scales up or down to maintain a steady framerate. The word "dynamic" means "characterized by constant change". Similarly, dynamic lighting refers to a system that calculates light sources and shadows in a way that allows for constant change as light sources move around the game world. It's not a value judgement, it's just a word that describes changing systems.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really hope Super Mario Maker gets a Switch version. :ohdear:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really hope Super Mario Maker gets a Switch version. :ohdear:

There are people who complain about a lack of stylus for Picross S. Super Mario Maker is going to drive people bonkers if they have to use controllers for building.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I never beat Skyrim or even put a ton of time into it. I love the setting and the gameplay, but it's hard for me to sit and play a single player RPG for a long period of time at a computer.

Playing it in handheld mode while I watch football and basketball is really appealing to me.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Doom is dynamically blurry, which means in a constant state of being unclear to different degrees

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

There are people who complain about a lack of stylus for Picross S. Super Mario Maker is going to drive people bonkers if they have to use controllers for building.

So

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I would hope touch controls would be enabled on handheld mode but this is Nintendo were talking about so who knows

Anyways I'm dying for a meaty atlus RPG here, Nintendo consoles don't feel complete without a solid smt entry or two, especially after the 3DS

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

priznat posted:

Skyrim has a ridiculous amount of content and even though I’m not usually a fantasy rpg person I loved it. Really really fun.

Spoilered character build suggestion: archers are super OP, destruction magic users are pretty weaksauce

Become a conjurer and just have demons and carls fight for you. :effort:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For the people who make good levels and are meticulous in their editing, using a controller will make no difference, as long as they have a good solution for inputs for copy paste.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

I dont know how they would do a World Ends With You sequel without 2 screens without tearing up some of the core mechanics and features of the game.

If anything, it may be coming out for their new 2DS thing that they pushed for whatever reason, but I dunno. I mean it was a fun game but only because it was a JRPG for the DS and it actually utilized the touch screen which had largely been dismissed as a stupid gimmick like motion controls for the Wii.

The plot was okay, and the setting, but the characters and design are really the epitome of Square Enix's "add zippers and more edge" -- although it made the most sense out of all SE designs since they were supposed to be set in a trendy, hipster urban center.

But I mean getting rid of the main battle mechanic and split screen gameplay, you really dont have anything left to really be super pumped for that you couldn't get out of any other edgy RPG. I think you fight God, like every other Final Fantasy? I guess they could bring it back just because it's an old IP that they haven't done anything with, I know I think they put some characters in Kingdom Hearts, but I dont know how they're gonna do it on Switch. Even then, half the charm of the game was the cartoony anime characters with really over-exaggerated anime proportions and designs, that comes across better in well-done sprite work than it would in stunning 1080p.

I know you could do single player split screen but with the aspect ratio, it's like 16:9 or something and it's too narrow to really get a satisfying screen in handheld mode and too short to split the screen horizontally. And the combat relied on you using the pins and drawing patterns themselves (some were drawing things like stars, some you had to tap on things, sometimes you had to do a combo) on the bottom screen while your other hand was mostly subconsciously paying attention to the patterns on the upper screen to pull of combos with your second character; having just two hands doing "left right left left up right down" style combos seems like it would not be as engaging. I mean I guess you could still do it all on one screen but it just seems odd, how would you organize who's getting attacked by what and who's targeting who?

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 12, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mister Facetious posted:

Become a conjurer and just have demons and carls fight for you. :effort:

This is true, and awesome. Definitely best magic option.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I had a vision of the Dark Souls/Demon's Souls HD port being a timed exclusive for the Switch.

I had a vision of the resulting nerd rage leveling cities.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It gives me conniptions

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Stylus pack in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demon's Souls was published by Sony in Japan and part developed by them, so that's not gonna happen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Having to use the controller or my finger to build Mario Maker stages is going to be a bit more annoying and tedious, but I'll still do it.

The ONLY thing I want is the ability to make propery auto scrolling/minecart levels. I was able to MacGyver up something like that using the water set but I really wish I could've used the others too, for more art and enemy variety. I tried to make autoscrollers where you just had to jump, but people inevitably would just try to run ahead instead of only using the jump button so it ended up not really working

LODGE NORTH posted:

Stylus pack in.

This would make sense, but they'd have to sell a separate one for those of us buying the games digitally (also I'm pretty sure the screen is heat sensitive or whatever? Cause regular styluses do not work on the Switch's screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Devoyniche posted:

I dont know how they would do a World Ends With You sequel without 2 screens without tearing up some of the core mechanics and features of the game.

TWEWY is on iOS/android and most people who have played both versions enjoy the single screen version because its easier to control

• Locked thread