Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Defiance Industries posted:

Well I certainly wouldn't mind an invite. I usually hit close to my 600 if not capping out. Code is 893-476-256.

Yeah, we totally don’t mind sub-85 accounts. You’ll get there soon enough, and we wouldn’t be playing this game if we weren’t patient. I’d rather have 50 non-alt accounts who are all in for the guild, long term. (Though I certainly appreciate the alts earning us tickets in the meantime.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So I started messing around with this game about a month ago, just doing all the daily stuff not spending any crystals and barely spending credits/energy. I was autoing every battle until I hit level 40 and unlocked Galactic War and I really liked doing it. I imagine doing arena battles would be fun too so now I wanna build up a good team but am not sure who would be best to put on it. I read the OP and I just got Zeb and am halfway to getting STH. Right now I have CW Chewy(4*), Farmboy Luke(3*), Talia(3*), Jedi Consular(2*), Royal Guard(2*), Ewok Scout(2*), Clone Sergeant(2*), FOTP(1*), Snowtrooper(1*), Zeb(2*), and as I was typing this I opened a Bronzium Pack and got Barriss Offee(4*) which I am just going to assume makes Jedi Consular obsolete. So who should I be focusing leveling/gearing up? I was farming shards for Luke, Jedi, and Sabine but I'm starting to think those last two might be a waste of time. But then again I'm still figuring this junk out, any help would be appreciated.

I didn't see it mentioned in the OP but is there any reason to hold onto Ally Points or should I just spend them all on Bronzium Packs?

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Feel free to open all the Bronziums you want, there is no other current use for ally points.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Gorgolflox posted:

So I started messing around with this game about a month ago, just doing all the daily stuff not spending any crystals and barely spending credits/energy. I was autoing every battle until I hit level 40 and unlocked Galactic War and I really liked doing it. I imagine doing arena battles would be fun too so now I wanna build up a good team but am not sure who would be best to put on it. I read the OP and I just got Zeb and am halfway to getting STH. Right now I have CW Chewy(4*), Farmboy Luke(3*), Talia(3*), Jedi Consular(2*), Royal Guard(2*), Ewok Scout(2*), Clone Sergeant(2*), FOTP(1*), Snowtrooper(1*), Zeb(2*), and as I was typing this I opened a Bronzium Pack and got Barriss Offee(4*) which I am just going to assume makes Jedi Consular obsolete. So who should I be focusing leveling/gearing up? I was farming shards for Luke, Jedi, and Sabine but I'm starting to think those last two might be a waste of time. But then again I'm still figuring this junk out, any help would be appreciated.

I didn't see it mentioned in the OP but is there any reason to hold onto Ally Points or should I just spend them all on Bronzium Packs?

The shorthand newbie guide is:
1. Focus on getting good scoundrels for credit heist. Money is a huge bottleneck so the sooner you can do tier 3, the better. Lando/Captain Han, Boba, and ST Han are good choices. I expect when the veteran bros (han/chewie) become farmable they will also be desirable targets
2. Phoenix is a great 1st synergy team to shoot for. They are required to unlock thrawn, they work as rebels to unlock EP, and they get you 40% of the way to unlocking GM Yoda. Plus they are servicable in young arena, they are required for 2 TB nodes, and they do great in GW.

A lot of folks will tell you Ezra is required, but for a new player, I think the more important goal is to get a team together as fast as possible. To that end, Hera is the more important farm from that resource:
1. Cantina energy - Hera
2. Cantina store - Chopper
3. GW store - Zeb
4. Arena store - Kanan
5. Hard nodes/guild store - Sabine

That you can farm this team simultaneously is another nice benefit for a new player wanting to maximize bang for your buck.

Edit: fuuuuuuuuck they also have 2 pretty good ships that are themselves required to unlock Thrawn's capital ship.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 12, 2017

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I came out of retirement to play Phoenix so definitely listen to this advice

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I suspect Phoenix was a ploy to get people to watch Rebels when it was on and they just kept ramping up how good the team is for newbies and never backed down, even after the show ended.

E: the show has not ended.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Well, it's halfway through the last season, so you were close.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My temptation to spend the zeta that’s been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks on Kanan is becoming near irresistible.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

My temptation to spend the zeta that’s been burning a hole in my pocket for weeks on Kanan is becoming near irresistible.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You got zJyn, zFinn, zzCLS, and zzR2?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Gorgolflox posted:

unlocked Galactic War and I really liked doing it.

This will eventually be the most frustrating part of the game. Enjoy it while you can

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Speaking of SW Rebels, is this a show for kids or can adults that are star wars fans (though not turbosperg die hard fans that have actual discussions on who shot first) get some enjoyment out of it?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I liked Rebels

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ineptitude posted:

Speaking of SW Rebels, is this a show for kids or can adults that are star wars fans (though not turbosperg die hard fans that have actual discussions on who shot first) get some enjoyment out of it?

There is no such thing as a non-turbosperg star wars fan.

I mean just lol if you have less than 5 edits on the wookipedia page for Jek Porkins.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 12, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ineptitude posted:

Seems like that depends on the episode you watch. For example, the main bad guy now is Grand Admiral Thrawn, who is like the least "kid show" bad guy you can have since his main powers are "thorough planning" and "art appreciation." But there's also a lot of bad slapstick humor and the kid characters like to undercut good moments with really terrible quips (like when Vader shows up to fight Ahsoka, or when Darth Maul tracks down Obi-Wan on Tatooine).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chilichimp posted:

You got zJyn, zFinn, zzCLS, and zzR2?

I’ve got zFinn, and CLS and R2 both have their one good zeta that actually matters. (I don’t use any of them in arena, so *meh* to Combat Analysis and Luke lead and other unique.)

Jyn is actually a good TB consideration, given that the rogue one combat mission is going to be the one that makes or breaks me going for 114, but honestly, I feel like gearing up Cassian and K2 to replace my laughable g8 SRP and Bistan is a much better ticket to a consistent 6/6 there.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Defiance Industries posted:

the kid characters like to undercut good moments with really terrible quips (like when Vader shows up to fight Ahsoka, or when Darth Maul tracks down Obi-Wan on Tatooine).

True, but in the first example, Vader knocks his response to the kid out of the park.

Vader approaches with lightsaber lit

Ezra (kid character:) I'm not afraid of you!

Vader: Then you will die braver than most.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MichiganCubbie posted:

True, but in the first example, Vader knocks his response to the kid out of the park.

Vader approaches with lightsaber lit

Ezra (kid character:) I'm not afraid of you!

Vader: Then you will die braver than most.

It's loving poetic. Sadly, "I need more training. :downs:

im cute posted:

It’s good to spend most of your crystals on Energy except those times you have to spend 1299 on trying to 5-Star MT and of course you get like, 7 shards why? Why do you keep doing this?

My hypothesis is that the distribution for marquee packs is something like a heavily right-skewed normal, giving you a mean of about 6 shards, and an expected cost of around 71k crystals to go from 0 to 330. This is back of the napkin probability, but should illustrate that if you want to make anything of a marquee character before it becomes farmable, you better be prepared to open your wallet.

It's me, I have the 7-star nightsister team in QGJ :negative:

edit: gently caress it, while I'm at it, here's a survey that tries to gather a rough distribution of the drop rates in marquee packs. The data will be suspect as gently caress, but since I'm doing this informally, I don't really care as the only intended use is sating my curiosity.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 12, 2017

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Such surveys are usually skewed towards people being unhappy with their results and using the surveys to communicate dissatisfaction, i.e. only people that got lovely rolls will submit a result.

I do find it interesting that i have never ever seen anyone post a screenshot of receiving a big chunk of shards from one of the 1299 crystal packs though...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I love kylo and unmasked kylo is obviously very good. I have saved a lot of crystals due to not spending anything on gear while waiting to see the next meta and who needs g12. I bought 1 kru pack and got 7 shards :v:

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

fishtobaskets posted:

The shorthand newbie guide is:
1. Focus on getting good scoundrels for credit heist. Money is a huge bottleneck so the sooner you can do tier 3, the better. Lando/Captain Han, Boba, and ST Han are good choices. I expect when the veteran bros (han/chewie) become farmable they will also be desirable targets
2. Phoenix is a great 1st synergy team to shoot for. They are required to unlock thrawn, they work as rebels to unlock EP, and they get you 40% of the way to unlocking GM Yoda. Plus they are servicable in young arena, they are required for 2 TB nodes, and they do great in GW.

A lot of folks will tell you Ezra is required, but for a new player, I think the more important goal is to get a team together as fast as possible. To that end, Hera is the more important farm from that resource:
1. Cantina energy - Hera
2. Cantina store - Chopper
3. GW store - Zeb
4. Arena store - Kanan
5. Hard nodes/guild store - Sabine

That you can farm this team simultaneously is another nice benefit for a new player wanting to maximize bang for your buck.

Edit: fuuuuuuuuck they also have 2 pretty good ships that are themselves required to unlock Thrawn's capital ship.

Thanks! Looks like I was sorta on the right track getting the Sabine shards, 10 more to go. As far as scoundrels go would it be worth it to get Cad Bane to start up the heists ASAP? I could probably get him in a week where Lando and Fett will probably take a lot longer.

UmOk posted:

This will eventually be the most frustrating part of the game. Enjoy it while you can

Yeah, I assumed it would get harder as I leveled up my characters. Do you know what the scaling is based off of?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Such surveys are usually skewed towards people being unhappy with their results and using the surveys to communicate dissatisfaction, i.e. only people that got lovely rolls will submit a result.

I do find it interesting that i have never ever seen anyone post a screenshot of receiving a big chunk of shards from one of the 1299 crystal packs though...

I've seen them on reddit. It's VERY rare. Some dude apparently dropped 40 bucks on unmasked Kylo packs and posted his 7*, so it -does- happen.

Goons don't buy them, though. They are worthless gambling fodder that will leave you disappointed.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gorgolflox posted:

Thanks! Looks like I was sorta on the right track getting the Sabine shards, 10 more to go. As far as scoundrels go would it be worth it to get Cad Bane to start up the heists ASAP? I could probably get him in a week where Lando and Fett will probably take a lot longer.

Yeah, I assumed it would get harder as I leveled up my characters. Do you know what the scaling is based off of?

Cad Bane is trash, do not buy. Buy Garazeb instead.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
You know what I love?

I love borrowing a lvl85 Leia during an ability mats challenge and 1-shotting Vader. It's just :allears:

EDIT: Also one-shotting enemies that just taunted. I just love saying :fuckoff: with a blaster bolt.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 13, 2017

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gorgolflox posted:

As far as scoundrels go would it be worth it to get Cad Bane to start up the heists ASAP?

No. Im pretty sure you can do heist with just lando, sth, and boba and beat it. If you need 5, throw in shitball chewie and get captain han unlocked.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Any open spots in one of the guilds? My ally code is 373-383-853 if there is. I'm currently level 78 if that matters.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fishtobaskets posted:

No. Im pretty sure you can do heist with just lando, sth, and boba and beat it. If you need 5, throw in shitball chewie and get captain han unlocked.

I’ve done the hardest level of credit heist with an elite Boba and poo poo all for everyone else. It would take me a few times, but it can be done. They’d keep killing Fett, he’d kill someone else and get his revive back. Rinse, repeat. Sometimes I’d lose the other 4 in the first round and still get it done.

It’s easier now with other good characters to help. But Boba is by far the most important.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

fishtobaskets posted:

Cad Bane is, unfortunately, terrible - and yeah, you can easily clear the hardest tier with a decent Boba and Lando or STH. Both of those characters are good (tm) until you hit high end rebels, so there's really no reason not to farm them. They do need to drop more scoundrels, though, and a semi-decent scoundrel leader, especially since there's a 99.9% they're going to make us farm up Old Han/Chewie for new Rey.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Holy poo poo chapter nine hard nodes suck

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

hup posted:

Holy poo poo chapter nine hard nodes suck

you pretty much have to have a good zeta lead and a decent borrowed character to 3 star, or a team at full g11-12. For DS if you have a Sith team with ZVader and can borrow a Nihilus they're pretty easy. For LS, ZQGJ and a half decent Jedi team can do it at G8-9, and so can resistance with ZFinn. You probably need G11 for rebels because they're health pools tend to suck, they don't have TM manipulation, and there's a metric fuckton of AoE damage in the LS 9s for some reason.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheAnomaly posted:

you pretty much have to have a good zeta lead and a decent borrowed character to 3 star, or a team at full g11-12. For DS if you have a Sith team with ZVader and can borrow a Nihilus they're pretty easy. For LS, ZQGJ and a half decent Jedi team can do it at G8-9, and so can resistance with ZFinn. You probably need G11 for rebels because they're health pools tend to suck, they don't have TM manipulation, and there's a metric fuckton of AoE damage in the LS 9s for some reason.

The AOE is what I'm trying to figure out, and I'm eying SRP as a possible option, since he has a short cooldown taunt that applies offense down to all enemies.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I still have some room on my friends list for folks who'd like to borrow a strong CLS on light side and a zeta'd Maul on dark side: 277-649-861

Also it looks like they just gave everyone 80 shards towards Kylo (old Kylo) as a cross promo for Battlefront 2.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I've seen them on reddit. It's VERY rare. Some dude apparently dropped 40 bucks on unmasked Kylo packs and posted his 7*, so it -does- happen.

Goons don't buy them, though. They are worthless gambling fodder that will leave you disappointed.

When i was a brand new player, like on day 3 or something, i was getting a bit antsy about not having unlocked any characters yet. I saw that i had 1600 crystals and, thinking that crystal income was on par for the rest of the game and not realizing they were newbie rewards, i bought a shard pack of Fulcrum Ashoka Tano. Try to stifle your laughter, but seeing that the pack could give 330 shards and me being a newbie figuring that it would probably average around 100 or so and only needing 25 shards to unlock Fulcrum Ashoma i bought a pack.

I got 5 shards.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
That really sucks. I bought Chromium packs until I read the OP. #metoo

In better news, I almost have raid han to G12. That's a slog.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Chilichimp posted:

Cad Bane is trash, do not buy. Buy Garazeb instead.

fishtobaskets posted:

I just got Zeb, Biggs, and STH but Boba and Lando are gonna take a while and I wanted to start the heists. I was hoping Cad would be a good filler just to get started but sounds like he isn't as good as I'd hoped. oh well, guess I'll pick up more Zeb shards to star him up.

Oh hey, I just got a free Kylo Ren from some Battlefront 2 promotion? At least something good came from that game

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Davethulhu posted:

I still have some room on my friends list for folks who'd like to borrow a strong CLS on light side and a zeta'd Maul on dark side: 277-649-861

Also it looks like they just gave everyone 80 shards towards Kylo (old Kylo) as a cross promo for Battlefront 2.

For those of us who didn’t already have him, that equals a free 4 Star Kylo. Which was a rather nice surprise to wake up to this morning.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

The AOE is what I'm trying to figure out, and I'm eying SRP as a possible option, since he has a short cooldown taunt that applies offense down to all enemies.

Wiggs/Lando at G11-12 + with good mods, a borrowed General Kenobi and a couple of other good poo poo mixed in can work.

zFinn remains the best option.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

For those of us who didn’t already have him, that equals a free 4 Star Kylo. Which was a rather nice surprise to wake up to this morning.

And for those of us that did, it represents a full Carbantis and change.

Which is an even better surprise to wake up to.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

And for those of us that did, it represents a full Carbantis and change.

Which is an even better surprise to wake up to.

Well, not -that- much, but it's a good bit of shard shop currency

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell

Warmachine posted:

You can also go with Jedi, zQGJ lead, but it's pretty unreliable. Just get a friend with a g12 Commander luke and let your counters work wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Im currently grinding FO to get BB-8 that is likely to come soon so 80 free shards was nice.