Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Varance posted:

I have lost the ability to complain about my pulls. Pulled these in sequence, 1 2 3 4 5:

The Elemental Bedile Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kheldarn posted:

The Challenge Battle unlocks next week, where we fight Golbez and the Shadow Dragon.

Hope everyone has paralysis and death immunity because I'll be amazed if Golbez doesn't use his hold gas attack and Shadow Dragon will surely have its insta-kill too.

The lack of a 6* golbez in this event is such a wasted opportunity though. They'd even be able to add him to the banner to dilute the odds of getting Milon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hope everyone has paralysis and death immunity because I'll be amazed if Golbez doesn't use his hold gas attack and Shadow Dragon will surely have its insta-kill too.

Yeah, about that:

Golbez Abilities
  • Binding Cold: Set HP (10) to all enemies.
  • Binding Cold: Set HP (10) to all enemies, and inflict paralyze (30%) to all enemies.
  • Come forth, my creature of shadow!: Set HP (10) to all enemies, and summon Shadow Dragon.
  • Firaga: Fire magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies.
  • Thundaga: Lightning magic damage (1.8x) to all enemies.
  • Bio: Dark magic damage (1.5x) to one enemy, and inflict poison (100%) to one enemy.
  • Osmose: Magic damage (1x) as MP drain (50%) to one enemy.
  • Drain: Magic damage (4x) as HP drain (100%) to all enemies.

Shadow Dragon Abilities
  • Black Fang: Fixed damage* (999999) to one enemy.
  • Black Fang: Fixed damage* (999999) to all enemies.

He won't summon the Shadow Dragon until he falls under 50% HP. It will use the ST version of Black Fang, unless you kill Golbez first, and then it will use the AOE version. The only way to avoid Black Fang is to use Reraise, Magic Evasion, Hide, or Jump. Otherwise it's a guaranteed death.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
they totally went "gently caress you Genji Shield"

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So basically the whole fight is getting around the aoe black fang. Everything else seems relatively painless. Unless he can dualcast one of the set hp 10's with one of the -agas

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

McSpankWich posted:

So basically the whole fight is getting around the aoe black fang. Everything else seems relatively painless. Unless he can dualcast one of the set hp 10's with one of the -agas

Is there some reason why you can't kill them both at the same time? That seems like the strat if you can't take Golbez from 51% to 0 in a single round of attacks.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

McSpankWich posted:

Can you iNick it to a dodge tank?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
It’s a magic attack. Phys dodge wouldn’t do anything (nor would iNic’s cover).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Is there some reason why you can't kill them both at the same time? That seems like the strat if you can't take Golbez from 51% to 0 in a single round of attacks.

The esper kill seems to imply they want you to half-re-enact the ff4 scene and just have your summon blast golbez and the dragon together.
Speaking of, its dunes week, level a garnet if you havent yet.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
If anyone would prefer Ayaka over my 1052 Atk onion knight for the golbez fight let me know as i would be happy to switch her in if someone missed out on her. It's hard to overstate the effect she's had for me. Thanks to her I've managed to win some of those trials that I didn't last past round 2 beforehand.

Also based on this threads advice I awakened aces abilities instead of Luneths, and that turned out really well for me especially for long maps like realm of the dragon king and the previous vortex stuff. His spirit hand is awesome when fully awakened, and tribeam is pretty boss too. So thanks everyone for the great advice it's really appreciated!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Golbez is the boss, but he doesnt get a 6*

Lunarian hate indeed.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Wouldn't Manufactured Nethecite do tons of work against Golbez? How many actions does he get?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Mad Fnorder posted:

Wouldn't Manufactured Nethecite do tons of work against Golbez? How many actions does he get?

Assuming none of the AI changes:

Phase 1: (Random order) Firaga or Thundaga | 3x Bios | Normal Attacks
Phase 2: Drain > (Random order) Drain or Bio | Firaga or Thundaga | Bio or Drain
Phase 3: Random Skill (once during the fight on transition to Phase 3) > Osmose > (Random order) Firaga or Thundaga | Osmose or Bio | Drain or Firaga or Osmose or Binding Cold (Paralyze)

Firaga, Thundaga, Osmose, & Drain can be sealed. So you're removing one AOE from Phase 1, a Drain from Phase 2 (as he'll lead with it), and an Osmose from Phase 3 (or a random sealable spell the first time you transition into Phase 3 if he uses it).

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mad Fnorder posted:

yep, and a reflect from carbuncle/Marie will neuter one of his spells as well.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is it possible to beat Aigion elite with 3 OK, Ayaka, Wilhelm, and either Zyrus or enhanced Soleil? Assume close to BiS (so some TMRs) but not entirely. I want that loving arm.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

beergod posted:

Is it possible to beat Aigion elite with 3 OK, Ayaka, Wilhelm, and either Zyrus or enhanced Soleil? Assume close to BiS (so some TMRs) but not entirely. I want that loving arm.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Just equip them with fire weapons so they don't run into any elemental resistance and go to town.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
So would x2 Pod 153 be just as useful as a Locke?

I am considering going after Bahamut and Lock just doesn't really fit in my party at the moment as he is too drat squishy...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

hagie posted:

So would x2 Pod 153 be just as useful as a Locke?

I am considering going after Bahamut and Lock just doesn't really fit in my party at the moment as he is too drat squishy...

For drop rate increases, each pod is worth two Lockes.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Spreadsheet updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pzD9FLe60JW64CytiSiYqCZ2JjWScunjQpb2lmSw_Ok/htmlview

Current Top 25:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That chart really doesn't mean anything now because it will automatically devalue any non Global Exclusive character do to the changes in Altema rating scheme. Right now, T.Terra out damages every character when fully kitted out, and she's not hard or expensive to kit out full damage do to L&As. If you really have a poo poo ton of whale TMs she can actually get really tanky given her high SPR, innate resistances and dodge.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That chart really doesn't mean anything now because it will automatically devalue any non Global Exclusive character do to the changes in Altema rating scheme. Right now, T.Terra out damages every character when fully kitted out, and she's not hard or expensive to kit out full damage do to L&As. If you really have a poo poo ton of whale TMs she can actually get really tanky given her high SPR, innate resistances and dodge.

I compensated for that, actually. Max is an 85 for a 6*... with the exception of Ayaka and some of the upcoming storyline units. The chart is designed to convert the average score from each site to a 12.5 and balance from there. Ayaka's score on Altema is an outlier, and her score more or less reflects that. Same for the ExviusWiki rates... max is considered a 15.

The reason why Barb is higher is that she's better in niche situations. If she can elemental chain, which means she's capable of much bigger numbers in certain situations where the boss can be imperiled. Barb is also a mana battery and has some other utility on top of that. Onion Knight, Loren, Lunera and Fohlen chain with her without needing an elemental weap, plus the ever-present Shantotto monster and Kunshira for extra elemental finishing, when he comes around. There are also a lot of Tornado users in the future for her to elemental chain with: 7* Rem, 7* Dark Fina, 7* Swimsuit Dark Fina, 6* Rinoa, 6* Lexi, 6* Lekisa and 6* Kid Rydia. Emperor's new Chaos Wind trick at *7 also stacks well.

If a boss resists wind in any way (which is not exactly uncommon), it's TTerra, hands down.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 13, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Being better in niche situations and worse on less niche situations, thats actually a negative you know. Barb can potentially do more damage than T.Terra if 1- you can maintain an imperil on the boss and 2- if you can take advantage of her gear options to exploit magic killers. Barbs mp restores is low on the total MP recovery, not as bad as Aileen but still not something that defines her character. Her shields are really loving niche and you wont be bringing her in a lot of fights where that wind res would be useful if the boss itself has wind resist of its own

Not to mention a bunch of her damage comes from self finishing aeroja. So if she bites it at any point, you lose those stacks and it'll take 5 turns to get her back to full damage assuming you are doing tornado + aeroja finisher on the turns because its more damage than rushing aeroja on the long run.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not going to argue this one dogmatically, but T Terra does require an activation turn if she bites it. Tornado *is* the imperil, and a drat good one at that. Even if a boss cleanses, you can guarantee it'll be up for the finisher. Tornado is also comically easy to spark chain, and it's easier to get Shantottos than it is to get Trance Terras. This is the same thing that makes Agrias/Orlandeau/Darklord so good together.

Nothing shares exact keyframes with Chaos Wave except for Chaos Wave. You can get close with Loren, Nyx or iNichol, but nothing has an identical hitcount for perfect sparking except for another Trance Terra.

7* Trance Terra has Dark and Fire-element versions of Chaos Wave and doesn't need to magically activate, at which point she becomes an absolute monster. 7* Rem also has something to chain with her, though again, it's not clean.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 13, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean, stronger than tornado imperil. The math is already laid out, spark chaining double chaos wave just has a higher % modifier than spark chaining tornados and finishing with aeroja even accounting for the built in imperil.

Really, Barb can only out damage T.Terra if she takes advantage of gear with killers on them and/or brings someone that can imperil wind harder than the base 50% and doesn't a waste a turn casting a limit break for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Should I run Fryevia with Orlandu or GL Sakura? I do have two Ashes for Meditate and a Refia for Embolden if that helps.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
So...

you think we'll be getting a Tekken Collab sometime down the line?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
No because then that means we might get a useful King.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
After months of no rainbows, I pulled my third Queen. What the hell game?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Evil Fluffy posted:

No because then that means we might get a useful King.

You just know they'd make Jin or Kazuya the base 5*. While a cool guy like Yoshimitsu or Jack is stuck as the 3* nobody wants.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Heihachi's limit burst better be throwing someone into a volcano.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

VextheGrey posted:

After months of no rainbows, I pulled my third Queen. What the hell game?

All you need now is 21m gil and 36 purecrysts.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Are we ever going to get another gil-snapper-and-metal-cactuar-in-the-fp-summon-pool event again? Aren't we well overdue?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

That and another raid. I feel my cash reserves just hasnt recovered yet

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay, I've got enough units now that I probably need help making a cohesive team:

Healers:
Refia
Aria (unlevelled)

Supports:
Rikku
Zargabaath
Crowe (unlevelled)
Soleil (unlevelled)
Merc Ramza
Cloud of Darkness
Ilias
Illusionist Nichol

Tanks:
Earth Veritas
Sozhe? (unlevelled)
Snow (unlevelled)
Charlotte (unlevelled)

Phys DPS:
Orlandu
King (ha)
Lightningx2 (haha)
Queen (hahaha)
Glauca (unlevelled)
Grace (unlevelled)
Amelia (unlevelled)

Magic DPS:
Fryevia
Ashex2
Dark Fina
GL Sakura
Exdeath
Zyrus (unlevelled)

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 13, 2017

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
But what if yoshimitsu has a good katana TMR :)

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
We already have Kamui tbh.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Okay, I've got enough units now that I probably need help making a cohesive team:

Do you have any Ingis(?) for Letters & Arms? Fryevia is theoretically higher dps but needs more TMs than Orlandu, I think.

Your party makeup varies wildly based on what you're doing, so leveling 'good' units is always worthwhile. That said, a general purpose party:

VotE
Rikku
Orlandu + Orlandu friend, or Fryevia + Fryevia friend
Zargablarg

You could really use a breaker, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've got an Ingus at about 60%.

Aside from Orlandu, my only other real breaker is I guess a Meliadoul. Ashe can do the DEF/SPR breaking though.

(Also is it worth slotting in Nichol over VotE for Zargatanking? Since he can break too.)

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I forgot Orlandu has breaks :doh:

If you use Ashe you probably don't need an actual healer except for trial level content.

I'm not super familiar with iNichol shenanigans since I never pulled one, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

ApplesandOranges posted:

(Also is it worth slotting in Nichol over VotE for Zargatanking? Since he can break too.)

I Nichol + Zarg is a fun trick, but you need a lot of TMRs and trial rewards to get Zarg up to 100% dodge, and even then it only works for physical damage. If you're putting out the DPS like you should be with chaining Orlandeaus and Fryevia's, then it will be overkill for everything but trials.

• Locked thread