Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
As long as Drafts are a thing still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

they removed some micro in the transition from 3 to 4 so here's hoping! actually now that i think about it, real time battles should remove some of the micro since you won't have to do any pixel bitching to get the first hit. hopefully someone playing the beta can chime in with more.
hiya.

Positioning still matters a little for where troop equilibrium ends up, but yes, it does tend to be closer to the middle than now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jBrereton posted:

hiya.

Positioning still matters a little for where troop equilibrium ends up, but yes, it does tend to be closer to the middle than now.

Are you in a closed beta or something?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Are you in a closed beta or something?
Yes, have been for a few months.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

jBrereton posted:

Has the UI been changed at all to be more user-friendly?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's all command line now

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The only way to UI is not to play

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has the UI been changed at all to be more user-friendly?
Little bit.

You can see mage paths on the commander screen, and alter squad/commander position from within the formation screen by right-clicking to select a different squad/commander (although I never remember this while playing because I'm so used to how it used to be done. Siege strength is also visible on the army screen, which is handy.

On the other hand, some other stuff I suggested like approximate range lines on the formation screen, and hotkeys to distribute gems to multiple commanders at once aren't in, at least not yet. They did change some interface elements in dom 4 based on feedback, so I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

How are u posted:

Wasn't dom4 only like $35?

I paid $60

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There are a few more UI improvements than the ones mentioned:

-New dominion overlay
-Lines connecting provinces conveying more information than before.
-Spell list showing which spells are ritual and which are battle, and gem cost.
-Magic sites icons appearing on the map.
-Thumbnail image of the area where an event happened (in the event description window).

It isn't 1/3 of what I would have done, but there are improvements.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 12, 2017

Absum
May 28, 2013

uuuh you sure you aren't thinking of Dominions 3 cause I bought 4 at release for €25

e: ok that was apparently a release sale or something but even so it was never that expensive, either €35 or €40 tops

Absum fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 12, 2017

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jBrereton posted:

Cool! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to buying this and like all impatient children I wish they would just release now.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Absum posted:

uuuh you sure you aren't thinking of Dominions 3 cause I bought 4 at release for €25

e: ok that was apparently a release sale or something but even so it was never that expensive, either €35 or €40 tops

Yeah, I paid $60 for Dom3, and $27 for Dom4.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I got Dom3 for $60 and I drat sure got my monies worth out of that game and would've paid $60 for Dom4 as well. To be fair I've been playing these games since Dom2 so I don't think I'll be done buying these anytime soon.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

There are a few more UI improvements than the ones mentioned:

-New dominion overlay
-Lines connecting provinces conveying more information than before.
-Spell list showing which spells are ritual and which are battle, and gem cost.
-Magic sites icons appearing on the map.
-Thumbnail image of the area where an event happened (in the event description window).

It isn't 1/3 of what I would have done, but there are improvements.
Yeah the whole map is quite a lot different, just thought they mainly meant the battle UI which is the bit where 90% of the being annoyed at the UI happens.

Tip for release day unless they change the default settings, press ctrl-3 to bring back candles. They do still matter even though the overlay is a useful at-a-glance measurement of where your dominion is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, thanks for the info about UI. That's the big thing that's kept me out of Dominions so far - CoE4 is really, really good despite its UI.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The trick to handle Dominions UI is to avoid using it in the first place, using all keyboard shortcuts where it's possible. Once you know them the game is bearable.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I'm going out on a limb here predicting that Dom5 will be $25 at most, Illwinter having finally come around on the age of Steam and impulse purchase thresholds.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I think it'll be about the same as dom 4 is, rather than cheaper.

Also, they added multi-turn movement for commanders this patch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

I think it'll be about the same as dom 4 is, rather than cheaper.

Also, they added multi-turn movement for commanders this patch.

Yes, I came just to say it and share the news.

Isn't beautiful? :circlefap:

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Turin Turambar posted:

Yes, I came just to say it and share the news.

Isn't beautiful? :circlefap:

Great for blood nations, now you can just order blood slave carriers to go straight to the nearest lab Also good for MA Ermor, you can ferry your hordes of skeletons around more easily.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TGG posted:

I got Dom3 for $60 and I drat sure got my monies worth out of that game and would've paid $60 for Dom4 as well. To be fair I've been playing these games since Dom2 so I don't think I'll be done buying these anytime soon.

spend $60 anyway and drag a friend into the hellish abyss of Dom5 multiplayer

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Welcome to the goddamn ignominious end to Relatively Normal Game one of the most miserable games ever played.

I played Lanka. My blood game has been pretty bad and I wanted to get some more practice in with a normal game. Pure naivety.

Tip your hat first to tiny baby player Cast_No_Shadow for whom this was their first ever game and probably the unluckiest newbie ever, as their awake pretender god and subsequently entire empire was minced by bless rush Vanheim Ramc. I did try to help, but got my teeth smashed in.

Game went from bad to worse when R'lyeh cast Burden of Time around turn 14. In retrospect a pretender Lich named Beast of Burden should have been a giveaway, but I’m a freaking idiot.

I was miserable at this point and completely surrounded by much more powerful neighbours. But why should just I be miserable? I turtled up, blood hunted my dying population to nothing, and empowered my N9B9 pretender all the way up to level 6 astral. That’s 395 astral gems. Screw this game. Then I cast a massive Astral Corruption.

Between BoT and AC, this created such a terrible environment that everyone gave up one by one. Not Atlanton’s R’lyeh though. I once saw Atlanton reduced turning a lumber construct into a supercombatant in a different game rather than go ai. R’lyeh fought to the end. I got off some mean spirited ambushes on Vanheim, and was able to leverage a vampire army to defend myself my incoming ai armies.

Eventually over 99 grueling turns I was able to claim enough thrones to end this bad game. Burden of Time eventually died when I got a horror mark on Beast of Burden, who 30 turns later was rendered feeble minded by endless horror attacks.

Graphs
Provinces

You can see Vanheim basically double in size in year two. If he’d stuck around Ramc could probably have won the game.

Forts

Vanheim dominant again

Income

Burden of time bled us dry

Gems

These were pretty useless thanks to Astral Corruption. I threw mine into battle magic and empowering people to use battle magic. Still ended with hundreds of gems of every type.

Research

Usually I try to be ahead or at least competitive in research. This game it didn’t really matter.

Dominion

For someone reliant on vampires to survive, I had terrible dominion.

Army Size

For once I’m ahead in something. Basically I churned out free undead since they didn’t age. I just chucked these around, including underwater to keep R’hyeh on a back foot.

So goodnight Relatively Normal Game. I hated you and didn’t deserve to win you, but I’m marking it up as I have literally no shame.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Three videos comparing Dom4 and Dom5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IdRjM1L-1w

So... how is the new thread for Dominions 5 going?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So, are you guys excited about Dominions 5?

I'm excited about Dominions 5.

Now all I have to do is make winter versions of every single sprite. :suicide:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bug Squash posted:

So goodnight Relatively Normal Game. I hated you and didn’t deserve to win you, but I’m marking it up as I have literally no shame.

I basically looked at the throne points, throne distribution and the game and realized I could win but it would take like 150 turns and I am not -that- insane.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Three videos comparing Dom4 and Dom5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IdRjM1L-1w

So... how is the new thread for Dominions 5 going?

I watched this guys Rus playthrough and goddamn he does not shut up about frozen rivers

edit: He's pretty good just, lmao

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Corbeau posted:

I wish there were more 'overlays' like winter. For example, a 'death' version for when domkill nations start invading a zone and the population drops to 0. The vegetation would disappear, the color would turn ash, etc.
Of course it would be more work for mappers but hey, the series has to advance!

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Corbeau posted:

I could do probably do all of them in under half an hour by adjusting their levels in Photoshop, like so:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bSVrnq8OtFsn3h4EBB-LkxnIuI323Gpa/view?usp=sharing

Looks fine imo.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 26, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mukip posted:

I could do probably do all of them in under half an hour by adjusting their levels in Photoshop, like so:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive

Looks fine imo.

You may be good with Photoshop, but you have to improve you linking skills. :P

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 26, 2017

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Oops! corrected.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Mukip posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bSVrnq8OtFsn3h4EBB-LkxnIuI323Gpa/view?usp=sharing

Looks fine imo.

If you're offering, then absolutely, that looks great. And I have no idea how you got there with just levels.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

I wish there were more 'overlays' like winter. For example, a 'death' version for when domkill nations start invading a zone and the population drops to 0. The vegetation would disappear, the color would turn ash, etc.
Of course it would be more work for mappers but hey, the series has to advance!

Does the winter overlay actually apply based on temperature scales or just time of year?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Does the winter overlay actually apply based on temperature scales or just time of year?
Temp scales.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Thanks to the wonderful Mukip, winter has arrived!

Feedback is welcome, though I think it's mostly minor tweaks (if any) remaining before release.

e: And a visualization of how it might look ingame:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 27, 2017

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Corbeau posted:

Yes. Very much so.

Lets hope it comes out tomorrow, fingers crossed.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I'm sad that the scales visualization still hasn't come back from Dom3. It was a good way to show the way the sides of each scale were mutually exclusive, I'm honestly not sure why they would straight up remove that UI element and not replace it with anything at all. :(

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Thanks to the wonderful Mukip, winter has arrived!

Feedback is welcome, though I think it's mostly minor tweaks (if any) remaining before release.

e: And a visualization of how it might look ingame:

You guys have done a great job!

e: for those who just want to get into it, here are some artisinally hand crafted dom 5 gods that aren't a trap. Drop that into your Newlords folder in the saved game menu, there's 3 per EA nation, with at least one expander, something researchy, and something else (mostly scales immobiles) for every faction.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 27, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

jBrereton posted:

e: for those who just want to get into it, here are some artisinally hand crafted dom 5 gods that aren't a trap. Drop that into your Newlords folder in the saved game menu, there's 3 per EA nation, with at least one expander, something researchy, and something else (mostly scales immobiles) for every faction.

That's a great idea, but I don't find it an Authentic Dominions Experience if I'm not burning in the fires of my terrible decisions. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

:siren: It's live :siren:

• Locked thread