Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ubiquitus posted:

The end goal here was always getthing Sanji back

It was never getting Sanji back. Luffy's original goal in going to Tottoland was to ask Sanji his intentions directly, not getting him back, since none of the Strawhats were sure if he really wanted to marry Pudding or not and they weren't going to force him in to a given path to satisfy themselves. Sanji initially refused to talk to them, meaning they had to run after him again to talk to him. At which point he asked Luffy to rescue his family, which became their new goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Julias posted:

What I'm saying is fanboys shouldn't just suck it up and treat every chapter as gold...no need to treat every chapter as trash either, even if much doesn't happen in a narrative sense, since it's more about enjoying the journey as it goes on...but i didn't think the jokes this chapter landed all that well, and combined with ruining the established tension and not doing much more with the Sanji plotline...yeah....it's gets a D rating at best .

I had trouble not reading this post with some thick layer of irony and laughing, until I saw the following posts.

Go take a lil walk and add some fun gifs to your sig, we gotta relax and enjoy this adventure together bud.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm fine with Luffy struggling to take down Katakuri. The guy's one of the strongest pirates in the world, and this shows that Luffy's strong, but he's not quite there yet. Also lol at everyone who thought Luffy could take out Big Mom by himself. He can't even beat her henchman.

10 minute cooldown is still really stupid and I hate it

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm fine with Luffy struggling to take down Katakuri. The guy's one of the strongest pirates in the world, and this shows that Luffy's strong, but he's not quite there yet. Also lol at everyone who thought Luffy could take out Big Mom by himself. He can't even beat her henchman.

I agree with Katakuri being a little too much at this point, but I think there's a lot of value in the fight because between Doflamingo and Katakuri, things should be set for Luffy to start figuring out awakening. A future rematch (if the conclusion of this arc leaves that on the table) would be an excellent way to show Luffy's growth after tasting the full power of a Yonkou's top crew members.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Mostly hate the 10 minute cooldown because it feels too specific to be real. Like it's not "I'm tired and need to recharge a bit" it's "I'm tired and need precisely 10 minutes" which is way more dumb.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

U-DO Burger posted:

i was/still am mostly expecting him to beat big mam with the help of some of the crew then to mostly beat kaidou solo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm fine with Luffy struggling to take down Katakuri. The guy's one of the strongest pirates in the world, and this shows that Luffy's strong, but he's not quite there yet.

Yeah, this is basically what I settled on - though I like what someone mentioned earlier about this being more about closing the gap between Katakuri and Big Mom than widening the gap between Big Mom and Luffy. Katakuri is the definition of a beast and who the gently caress knows where he'd be if he was out pirating as captain of his own crew. It's also probably just one of the absolute worst matchup's Luffy's pulled the entire series in terms of abilities.

But hey, I'm also finding it really cool how Gear 4 went from overkill vs. Doflamingo to a necessity versus the critical members of a Yonkou's crew. I feel like it's a good evolution of the Strawhats essentially stomping everything for a good chunk of the timeskip that also plays well into the overall picture of the Yonkou essentially being checks on one another. These are pirates you want to avoid confrontation with even when you're on their level, and I like that a lot.

Still admittedly not a fan of the cooldown on G4 because, as JahRoo noted, it's way too specific, but I'm hoping this time is an improvement since Luffy can still be proactive while waiting it out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JahRoo posted:

Mostly hate the 10 minute cooldown because it feels too specific to be real. Like it's not "I'm tired and need to recharge a bit" it's "I'm tired and need precisely 10 minutes" which is way more dumb.

it makes it seem like a video game cooldown ability

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
At the very least, it's a "I can't use certain abilities for a while" and not "I literally cannot move" like it was at the end of Dressrosa. Seeing Luffy use his regular Gigant Pistol instead of Elephant Gun was a bit of a treat even if it did gently caress all.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Regarding the 2 years until Wano quote. In the same breath, Oda said there would be an episode on Ace during Wano. So I'm guessing he is talking about the anime instead of the manga?

Between catching up to WCI, the Reverie and if they add a filler arc or two; that would make sense for the anime's timeline.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I can't imagine why he would be talking about the anime there. That's probably just a mildly awkward translation and he's saying generally "you'll see a story about Ace during Wano".

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

We'll have a nice story of Momo teaching Ace how to make hats.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Havoc904 posted:

Regarding the 2 years until Wano quote. In the same breath, Oda said there would be an episode on Ace during Wano. So I'm guessing he is talking about the anime instead of the manga?

Between catching up to WCI, the Reverie and if they add a filler arc or two; that would make sense for the anime's timeline.

nah the guy translating it said oda was explicitly talking about the manga

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im just wondering other than the resolution of wci what will take so long if it could somehow take 2 years unless he means from 2017 to 2019 or something lol

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I like how Oda says Wano will be in 1-2 years but I'm sure he will underestimate how long the Reverie arc will be, and we will only get there is 3-4 years time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would Luffy be involved in Reverie? I can see Blackbeard invading the Reverie with all the Revolutionary weapons, but I can't see why Luffy would be there.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

It's never been stated that Roger really fought anyone all that much aside from Garp. None of the Yonko, Shichibukai (though they might not have existed at that point), or Admirals. Seems Roger had a relatively smooth journey to Raftel, it's when he was Pirate King that he did a lot of battles with the Marines.

That's not true at all, there's been a whole lot of mentions and flashbacks of the Roger pirates fighting. There was the Buggy flashback where they fought an enemy crew and got the Bara Bara fruit as loot. Whitebeard mentioned clashing with the Roger pirates so often that he even learned to know the faces of small fries like Buggy or Shanks. There was the battle against Shiki, though iirc that one might have ended with Roger getting away? Shanks and flashback Garp certainly talked about Roger fighting against overwhelming odds when it would have made more sense to run away, to the point of once destroying the army of an entire nation. And of course there's the part where he slaughtered Squardo's entire crew. Oda has been laying it on pretty thick when it comes to similarities between Luffy and Roger, but I hope when the time comes he'll address the fact that the Roger pirates weren't really "the good guys" like the Straw Hats have been.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always got the feel that Luffy was more like Whitebeard than he was like Roger, even if there were a lot of stuff that tied him to Roger in the beginning.

Like, Luffy is undoubtedly inspired by Roger and his goal is closer to Roger's than it is to Whitebeard's but as a person he seems to share more in common with Whitebeard, complete with getting 'sons' of his own and bringing islands under his protection.

Though, like Roger, Luffy also seems to prefer having one small crew to an armada like Whitebeard did.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Luffy didn't ask for the Armada how does that make him "closer to Whitebeard"

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

the last line of the post is conceding that he was more like roger in that sense because he preferred the small crew

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

You know, Dogtooth didn't see brulee coming... or luffy grabbing her.

He can't see between different worlds, when in the mirror world he can't see outside and thus cannot predict things and vice versa, mirror punching via brulee a go go.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

tsob posted:

Why would Luffy be involved in Reverie? I can see Blackbeard invading the Reverie with all the Revolutionary weapons, but I can't see why Luffy would be there.

by pulling a fisher tiger and climbing the red line but with funny stretchy limbs

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

I always got the feel that Luffy was more like Whitebeard than he was like Roger, even if there were a lot of stuff that tied him to Roger in the beginning.

Like, Luffy is undoubtedly inspired by Roger and his goal is closer to Roger's than it is to Whitebeard's but as a person he seems to share more in common with Whitebeard, complete with getting 'sons' of his own and bringing islands under his protection.

Though, like Roger, Luffy also seems to prefer having one small crew to an armada like Whitebeard did.

I don't understand how the sons thing relates to luffy and we don't know whether roger claimed territory like the emperors did

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drjuggalo posted:

by pulling a fisher tiger and climbing the red line but with funny stretchy limbs

That's not why, it's how.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

That's not why, it's how.

Yeah, unless they somehow wind up there by accident or something there's no real reason (right now at least) why the Strawhats would visit the Reverie. Reuniting with an ally or two who happens to be in attendance later down the line is more likely though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 13, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

You know, Dogtooth didn't see brulee coming... or luffy grabbing her.

He can't see between different worlds, when in the mirror world he can't see outside and thus cannot predict things and vice versa, mirror punching via brulee a go go.

Brûlée will be the eleventh Straw Hat, and she will hate every minute of it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Brûlée and Gastino for crew members.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/sandman_AP/status/930054984338518016

that interview is 5 months old lol

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Taking his tendency to underestimate the chronological span needed for each arc in to account, the original might still break accurate though.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

We've been half way done with this manga for the past 15 years.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
One Piece is never gonna finish cause everyone involved will die of old age first.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eopia posted:

One Piece is never gonna finish cause everyone involved will die of old age first.

Every week a new chapter will just appear atop Oda's grave anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nuebot posted:

Every week a new chapter will just appear atop Oda's grave anyway.

Don't forget break week. Even the dead need to take a week off once in a while.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I don't understand the heat you guys give Oda about the 10 minute cooldown, we've all been mentally drained after doing challenging tasks and need time to recover. Haki is willpower so it makes sense.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dazoner posted:

I don't understand the heat you guys give Oda about the 10 minute cooldown, we've all been mentally drained after doing challenging tasks and need time to recover. Haki is willpower so it makes sense.

a cooldown is fine, an exact time limit is not.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's just such an overly specific time that it feels unnatural. I feel it'd work better if it was more a general timer on G4 itself, with Luffy gradually recovering his Haki and associated move arsenal in the meantime instead of just coming back at once in exactly 10 minutes.

I mean it does help that he's at least independently mobile this time, but I can at least understand initial reactions this time given that he had to be carried around like a corpse for several chapters the last time the cooldown was relevant.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Cooldowns have been a thing since gear 3 several hundred (sheesh) chapters ago

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah the fact that it takes EXACTLY ten minutes is just too gamey and unnatural. Ten minutes to fully capable would be fine with him getting it back a little at a time, but ten minutes -> bing, haki's back just feels bad, especially with the stuff that happened around it last time. I can even rationalize the ten minutes thing given that Luffy spent two full years training with it so it'd make sense that he'd narrow down how long it takes to get back in action, but it's just too long and too specific to feel natural.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dazoner posted:

Cooldowns have been a thing since gear 3 several hundred (sheesh) chapters ago

Gear 3 wasn't given a specific time, and was funnier since we got chibi-Luffy out of it.

The Gear 4 cooldown is the exact same thing only not funny and weirdly specific. It comes across as unimaginative, like something you'd expect out of Naruto, while the Gear 3 version's twist is a lot more in line with how One Piece likes to mix goofy and serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I feel like some (most) of you are interpreting Luffy saying "10 minutes" as "as soon as the counter ticks from 599 seconds to 600 I will immediately return to full strength" which is a little silly. I seriously doubt he's being that specific about it.