Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mrfart posted:

we got some dick teasing in the end, but we all went home with blue balls.

F1

I would make this the thread title, but dunking on stroll is too good at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

How much did Rubens get paid to wear that hat right now?

What hat? I usually turn podium celebrations off.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
lets spend more time watching a man speak a foreign language

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

What hat? I usually turn podium celebrations off.

He’s got some meat trucker hat with MOBIL SUPER branding all over it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dubs posted:

lets spend more time watching a man speak a foreign language

I now consider myself cultured having see the foreign speak

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
french and english only please

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Dubs posted:

french and english only please

Why French?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
In all honesty I wouldn't be too surprised to see a photo of Massa emerge with him wearing his helmet backwards, with Smedley cradling his face in an open palm in the background.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
in honor of the glorious mclarens team principal and engine supplier

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Best thread title ever. Never let it be changed (unless to denigrate Ferrari and/or Red Bull)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dubs posted:

in honor of the glorious mclarens team principal and engine supplier

RIP Are Ron

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

A Good thread title

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

GramCracker posted:

RIP Are Ron

RIP ArRon indeed

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Just checking in to say that this thread title is bullshit.

Amen brotha.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Wirth1000 posted:

Why French?

FIA is based in France

much like the IOC, the organization considers French (home nation's language) and English (trade language) its "official" languages

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Argus Zant posted:

FIA is based in France

much like the IOC, the organization considers French (home nation's language) and English (trade language) its "official" languages

the gently caress is this poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dubs posted:

Lingua Franca

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, race over let's now nitpick over this Lauda interview which I 100% agree with:

quote:

Niki Lauda has said he is worried about the future of Formula 1 under new owners Liberty Media – as he questions their plans to make the sport more exciting.

Amid the background of tensions between teams and Liberty over future engine rules and a drop in the commercial rights income they are receiving, Lauda does not believe that the direction F1 appears to be heading in is right.

"I'm worried,” said Lauda in an interview with Italian newspaper Gazzetto dello Sport.

“It was right that the American owners needed time to understand what F1 is – but that is about to expire. And what they think about the future is worrying me.

“The FIA, Chase Carey and Ross Brawn repeat that we need to level the performance, but the DNA of F1 is the opposite.

“You are a fool if you think that to make grands prix more attractive you need to have a different winner every weekend. F1 is about competition.

“Developing cars is one of the important foundations, as well as the bravery of the drivers. Instead, you want to penalise the best teams, and protect the drivers as if they are babies – with the introduction of the Halo for example.”

Falling income

Liberty announced its recent financial figures earlier this week, and they have prompted some concern from teams – as their prize money income will be going down for the first time in recent history.

The pool of prize money available to be distributed to teams from the most recent quarter will be $273 million (USD), which is 13 percent lower than last year when it came in at $316 million.

This significant drop, with little likelihood of big money deals seeing it bounce back in the future, is an issue for Lauda too.

Pushed on whether Liberty were right to push for cheaper engines, Lauda said “Yes, and I'm sure we will find a satisfactory compromise.

“But the heart of the problem is something else. In the face of cost growth of some 70 million (Euro) from one year to the next, revenues have declined.

“But where do we want to go from here? There should be ideas for generating more money, but I do not see them.

“I heard from Sean Bratches, who would like to see the drivers accompanied with grid kids. Is imitating football having new ideas?"

Lauda believes F1 needs a wider masterplan, and a grander vision to act on aspects that will make things better.

“It needs a more open project," he said. "For example, the budget cap. It is logical and correct but it needs a three-year plan to realise it.

"We have employees, so what do we do with them? Do we just cast them off and throw them on the road?

“For now Liberty has only announced that they want to introduce it, but they have not explained how they intend to realise it.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-worried-about-f1-future-under-liberty-977624/

13% drop in prize money pool, grid kids, aggressive equalization tactics...

F1 is dead; viva la GP1 revolucion forza Ferrari

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Dubs posted:

it's the case for like, 95% of European-based organizations

English, French, and then maybe 1 or 2 extra languages depending on location and reach (FIFA also lists Spanish & German, FIA considers Italian an organizational language, IOC adopts the host nation's language each olympiad)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
'The official abbreviation for Coordinated Universal Time is UTC. This abbreviation arose from a desire by the International Telecommunication Union and the International Astronomical Union to use the same abbreviation in all languages. Englishspeakers originally proposed CUT (for "coordinated universal time"), while Frenchspeakers proposed TUC (for "temps universel coordonné"). The compromise that emerged was UTC'

The French are so butthurt about English being the de facto lingua franca (yes I notice the irony in that four word phrase) that they'd rather have things make no sense at all than let English prevail

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

itsjustdrew posted:

You make me sad to be a Ferrari fan

gently caress off

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Ferrari fans deserve sadness

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m not sure if this isn’t Massa’s last race or not.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Ok, race over let's now nitpick over this Lauda interview which I 100% agree with:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-worried-about-f1-future-under-liberty-977624/

13% drop in prize money pool, grid kids, aggressive equalization tactics...

F1 is dead; viva la GP1 revolucion forza Ferrari

quote:

You are a fool if you think that to make grands prix more attractive you need to have a different winner every weekend. F1 is about competition.

This is the stupidest sentence anyone has ever spoken.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He himself said it was his last race today, but I don't think he's necessarily thinking straight with everything going on.

Massa retiring a race early makes sense for all parties to be honest so I wouldn't be surprised if he sits Abu Dhabi out

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tsaedje posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Processional GPs are totally the pinnacle of motorsport.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Tsaedje posted:

What do McLaren Honda fans deserve?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Paul di resta is looking a bit suspiciously chipper today.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

A sense of certainty.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Renault is the best engine company if you look at the last 10 15 years :D” F Alonso.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

GramCracker posted:

the gallows

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

“Renault is the best engine company if you look at the last 10 15 years :D” F Alonso.

He may be a tad biased.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I'm turgid thinking about that mangled arm barely hoisting a trophy over his head as he wins a grand prix.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Ted was showing his mobile on TV when someone texted him "COCK"

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GramCracker posted:

RIP Are Ron

You done messed up Are Ron.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If he's taking part in the Abu Dhabi test that means Williams have already done whatever steering wheel mods Kubica needs, so there's no reason he couldn't race too

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

“I heard from Sean Bratches, who would like to see the drivers accompanied with grid kids."

:catstare:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

It's common practice for players to be led out with cute children before football matches. I'd love to see little kiddies in mini race suits matching the drivers :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

It's common practice for players to be led out with cute children before football matches. I'd love to see little kiddies in mini race suits matching the drivers :3:

Omg this would be adorable

• Locked thread