Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

you napoleonics post too much!

be the change etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
If you insist:

The car's a real poo poo one from a toy set, not my work :nyoron:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What are some good skirmish rulesets that would be appropriate for ancient battles, specifically of the Hellenistic period? I'm starting to collect and convert 28mm figures of different kinds appropriate for the 4th-1st c. BC Eastern Mediterranean and Near East and I want to be able to use them eventually in some casual gaming.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

MeinPanzer posted:

What are some good skirmish rulesets that would be appropriate for ancient battles, specifically of the Hellenistic period? I'm starting to collect and convert 28mm figures of different kinds appropriate for the 4th-1st c. BC Eastern Mediterranean and Near East and I want to be able to use them eventually in some casual gaming.

When Rick Priestley puts up his Fantasy Gates of Antares conversion, it would suit small warband Hellenistic period with not a lot of changes.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I got my Test of Honour box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcUqcNRO17Q

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

15mm scale decals are a special kind of hell.

next up is experimenting with pigment weathering to make the tanks seem dusty on the sides. i made an attempt on one of the choppers but it... didn't really work out as i'd intended. more testing is needed.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

When Rick Priestley puts up his Fantasy Gates of Antares conversion, it would suit small warband Hellenistic period with not a lot of changes.

How's that going to work? GOA seemed pretty shooty.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
check out tribes of legend from wargames foundry. 3 games in one book, including a skirmish size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW5QEr2w468

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Fish and Chimps posted:

be the change etc. etc.

Okay! I did post a while back asking lots about Team Yankee but it... got run over like the french at Waterloo.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

How're you finding TY lately?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

spectralent posted:

How're you finding TY lately?

Can't say. I've yet to play my first game! but we're a bunch that's bought into it and who've enjoyed Flames of war V4.

Have a tank

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Battlefront are like the GW of the Historicals world. Absolutely gorgeous models (for the most part). Used to have a good rules set then really screwed the pooch.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

tomdidiot posted:

Battlefront are like the GW of the Historicals world. Absolutely gorgeous models (for the most part). Used to have a good rules set then really screwed the pooch.

Also, their poo poo is expensive as gently caress.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
We got some MDF wagons from warbases.co.uk for our Nappy shenanigans. I think the wagon itself looks perfectly fine, but the roof was simple a half-cylinder of cardboard, which I off course managed to gently caress up. So instead I took out some green stuff, and went to work:

I expected it to end up much worse, so I'm quite satisfied. Now I just need to paint it up, together with an engineer cart.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That turned out great!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Commissar Kip posted:

Also, their poo poo is expensive as gently caress.

Idk, it used to be reasonably priced. It’s not anymore

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tomdidiot posted:

I played a LOT of Flames of War, but played one game of v4 and bounced off it hard.

I need a good Russian Front 15mm game, but nothing else is working.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Cessna posted:

I played a LOT of Flames of War, but played one game of v4 and bounced off it hard.

I need a good Russian Front 15mm game, but nothing else is working.

Battlegroup not doing it for you?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Frobbe posted:

Battlegroup not doing it for you?

I dunno.

("It's not the same," I whined.)

I grew up on old-school hex-and-counter wargames, things like original Squad Leader and Panzerblitz, or Yaquinto's Panzer/Armor/88. I'm no longer into the chart-heavy games these days, and I like mechanics that are original and interesting, like Squad Leader was when it first came out.

Maybe I should look into Chain of Command, like the thread title says?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cessna posted:

I dunno.

("It's not the same," I whined.)

I grew up on old-school hex-and-counter wargames, things like original Squad Leader and Panzerblitz, or Yaquinto's Panzer/Armor/88. I'm no longer into the chart-heavy games these days, and I like mechanics that are original and interesting, like Squad Leader was when it first came out.

Maybe I should look into Chain of Command, like the thread title says?

Chain of Command is very unlike FoW but very good

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phi230 posted:

Chain of Command is very unlike FoW but very good

Will it work with models already based for FoW?

Does it cover USSR v. Germany, or is that in a supplement?

I'm looking for ways to use existing toys so I can push around my little T-34s with minimal changes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a free tanks on tanks supplement (Big CoC), but FoW infantry basing isn't optimal due to individual casualty removal. You can use markers to represent casualties though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cessna posted:

Will it work with models already based for FoW?

Does it cover USSR v. Germany, or is that in a supplement?

I'm looking for ways to use existing toys so I can push around my little T-34s with minimal changes.

Could use a base for a figure? It is designed on a real life infantry platoon + support, so however you choose to represent that is fine.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

There's a free tanks on tanks supplement (Big CoC), but FoW infantry basing isn't optimal due to individual casualty removal. You can use markers to represent casualties though.

Close enough.

I ordered a copy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Chain of Command is fantastic. The Patrol Phase is pure magic, and it has one of the most novel and interesting activation mechanics out there, which really makes for interesting play and meaningful command decisions.

And in terms of the minis, so long as you have a way to mark your casualties, your existing basing scheme will be fine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It won't mean much to you now, but you can start reading the tank supplement here.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lilljonas posted:

We got some MDF wagons from warbases.co.uk for our Nappy shenanigans. I think the wagon itself looks perfectly fine, but the roof was simple a half-cylinder of cardboard, which I off course managed to gently caress up. So instead I took out some green stuff, and went to work:

I expected it to end up much worse, so I'm quite satisfied. Now I just need to paint it up, together with an engineer cart.

What color is that?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Green.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah but it's like a mint color

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm pretty certain it is not the proper green for the Germany army in the summer of 1942, though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm pretty certain it is not the proper green for the Germany army in the summer of 1942, though.
...which just tells me the wagon is stol...er..."requisitioned."

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

What color is that?

Green. >_<

Nah, it's a mix of Vallejo Game Color's version of goblin green, and Ammo of MIG's Light Green Khaki. I haven't found a perfect "pea green" for my french artillery and carriages yet, but I think this is the closest I've gotten. I'll probably give it a layer of dust from the road, which will help make it look more worn.

The original paint would be 100 parts yellow ochre and 1 part lamp black, but there's no way I'll try that.

And CoC fever is back at the club, so I'm putting some more DAK in the painting queue.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 14, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Historicals companies are so delightfully quaint. I ordered the rules for Battlegroup in pdf form. I didn't receive them immediately. The next day I got a Fwd: Fwd: Fwd email from a guy in the company with the PDF attached.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Historicals companies are so delightfully quaint. I ordered the rules for Battlegroup in pdf form. I didn't receive them immediately. The next day I got a Fwd: Fwd: Fwd email from a guy in the company with the PDF attached.

Be happy they didn't fax them to you.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

Chain of Command is fantastic.

Do they have rules/lists for USMC and Japanese?

A quick look at their website didn't turn up any, but they could be floating around somewhere that I missed.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

Do they have rules/lists for USMC and Japanese?

A quick look at their website didn't turn up any, but they could be floating around somewhere that I missed.

There's a list for Japanese 41-42.

Looking through the forums, I found a fanmade USMC list for 44-45
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3002&hilit=USMC

IT seems that there are people talking just this week about a late Japan list, I'd poke by the forums and ask about it there.

One big advantage of CoC is that if you have the information of how a platoon looked like, you can draft your own list pretty easily.

E: it seems someone has made a draft for a late Japan list and sent it to Rich, but he hasn't processed it yet. If you ask you might be able to get a copy of the draft.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 14, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So there's no army list in BA for the 82nds jump into Sicily ... if you guys were gonna run that would you go with a generic platoon or one of the historic lists(and which)?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

DiHK posted:

So there's no army list in BA for the 82nds jump into Sicily ... if you guys were gonna run that would you go with a generic platoon or one of the historic lists(and which)?

I'd do a generic airborne list

I tried CoC and was really excited, I love SP as my favorite game right now. And tbh I found it kinda confusing.

Mostly in terms of teams, how shock is split, etetc. I didn't hate the command dice mechanic, which I thought I would at first.

I'll put up more thoughts this week

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Muggins, I'll make it easy for you: Teams in a Squad/Section in CoC are like Groups in a Formation in SP2. It's literally the same mechanic, right down to dividing the hits and rolling for the effects on each team individually. If a bunch of teams (from the same section or not) are clustered together within 4" of each other, they share hits, just like in SP2.

For Cessna: For the main Japanese list, you'll want to start with this one: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=2977

If you want more Japanese lists, Len Tracey is the guy to talk to. He's the one who wrote the Malaya campaign (that came out in I think the 2015 Summer Special), and he's written a later ('43 and on) Japanese list as well. There's a big topic on the CoC forums about USMC lists, and because the Marines went through a ton of different organizations as the war went on, there's a list of different platoon orgs that someone put together a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DiHK posted:

There are some special rules for the 82nd Airborne jump in the Duel in the Sun campaign book. Basically you take a prep bombardment from your own side before the battle to represent friendly fire then you perform a combat jump with your troops actually landing in the battle.

List is made from the generic Airborne platoon list:
AIRBORNE REINFORCED PLATOON
1 Lieutenant (First or Second)
2 Airborne infantry squads (chosen from the list of Airborne units above)

Plus:
0– 1 Captain or Major
0– 1 Medic
0– 1 Forward Observer (either Artillery or Air)
0– 3 Airborne infantry squads (chosen from the list of Airborne units above)
0– 1 Machine gun
0– 1 Sniper
0– 1 Flamethrower
0– 1 Anti-tank team
0– 1 Mortar (light or medium)
0– 1 Light anti-tank gun, light anti-aircraft gun or light howitzer