Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Too few early, too many once you have everything from a given tier maxed (which I guess is solvable by making more tiers and more granular progression but that's a shitload of work...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, it's a feast or famine kind of thing.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I'm just about ready to push the new build. How about raising drops a bit in zones 1 and 2, 3 and on will get some nerfs, and most gear will have a slightly higher starting stats, so there's less boosting before they hit parity with your old gear that's been maxxed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do you feel about turning the trash into a recycle bin or something that gives you currency that can be used to buy wildcard +1 items at a steep conversion ratio?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I'd be down for that. I could call them "Literal Trash Points" or something. Just straight +1 point for any item that is actually fully deleted (by trashign with an item already in the trash slot).

edit: new build (290) is up. Direct all complaints to my changes and/or bugs here tia

something fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 12, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just increase the drop rate of the equipment. Then I won't have to throw away 30 boosts in a row cause I would have higher level equipment that I can slot them into.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
RG: I'm at the tail end of R45 and it feels like it's going to take days to go from 1e29 gems to 1.8e30. Any suggestions?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Anyone else doing Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms? It's D&D based (obviously) and a moderately-interactive idler (it seems like a clicker, but clicking falls off almost immediately) from Codename Entertainment (Tap Tap Movie, Crusaders of the Lost Idols, Egg Breaker Adventures) on Steam only.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/627690/Idle_Champions_of_the_Forgotten_Realms/

I'm digging it a bit so far, and there's a Recruit-A-Friend event going on this weekend.

Here's my RAF codes if anyone wants them:
6FWJ-RHNY-DDU6-NX3R
T4TM-TDXH-K2CD-KTLT

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
ewwwww UAC.

I will never do one of those, so long as there is any other challenge i have left to do

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Toshimo posted:

Anyone else doing Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms? It's D&D based (obviously) and a moderately-interactive idler (it seems like a clicker, but clicking falls off almost immediately) from Codename Entertainment (Tap Tap Movie, Crusaders of the Lost Idols, Egg Breaker Adventures) on Steam only.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/627690/Idle_Champions_of_the_Forgotten_Realms/

I'm digging it a bit so far, and there's a Recruit-A-Friend event going on this weekend.

6FWJ-RHNY-DDU6-NX3R
T4TM-TDXH-K2CD-KTLT

Yeah I've been messing with it today and had a good deal of fun. Not far enough in to render judgment really but it certainly looks like it has a good amount of poo poo to do and collect.

Plus, all this loving fanservice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How long did it take?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toshimo posted:

6FWJ-RHNY-DDU6-NX3R
T4TM-TDXH-K2CD-KTLT

It's pretty amusing, but it has some difficulty ramping issues. You will just be tooling right along and BAM! PARTY WIPE! (which doesn't do anything but move you back a screen and waste time).

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Samizdata posted:

It's pretty amusing, but it has some difficulty ramping issues. You will just be tooling right along and BAM! PARTY WIPE! (which doesn't do anything but move you back a screen and waste time).

Yeah, every new stage is like a magnitude higher damage and health you need to overcome. If one has played Clicker Heroes where you got to like world 2000 and what not then the equivalent in ICotFR is like level 75.
I got to level 60 in a couple of weeks but quit playing it due to the progress being slow, the game requiring a lot of attention, the prestige currency mechanics being real poo poo and i didn't like the formation mechanic and what it meant for the visual aspect of the game.
Essentially, to progress anywhere you need to have a single hero do all the dps and stack all the damage boosters around your hero. Since damage is only done when a hero attacks, instead of a continuous dps being done, enemies only gets killed every 4-7 seconds. The end result is the same, you win a stage if your dps stat is high enough, but visually it was boring to look at.

This game is very much what happens to idlers when they turn "corporate".

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Re: NGU offline progress.
Went to bad, opened the game again when I got up.
"You were offline for 2 seconds." No wonder I thought time machine just didn't give any offline progress at all.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

I still don't understand what Blood Magic does. Do I lose the power again if I rebirth a second time? What does it boost exactly? What is base power?
Also, Blood Magic is very expensive in terms of money and pushing the Gold Multiplier isn't possible because its magic locked (Cant wait 12 days between rebirths, can I?) which costs way too much to push for someone still struggling in the forest in terms of XP gains.
Am I missing something that would make everything go smoother or is it all 'beta balancing' right now?

Illiterate Clitoris fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 12, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

Re: NGU offline progress.
Went to bad, opened the game again when I got up.
"You were offline for 2 seconds." No wonder I thought time machine just didn't give any offline progress at all.

Sorry, but with the latest build i had to refresh the offline timer on load aka remove all your offline progress when moving from build < 290 to 290. it should only happen this one time. Also, now loading any file mid-game should award the offline progress, provided the game in time is longer than 60s. this is to prevent some exploit-y stuff from potentially happening.

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I still don't understand what Blood Magic does. Do I lose the power again if I rebirth a second time? What does it boost exactly? What is base power?
Also, Blood Magic is very expensive in terms of money and pushing the Gold Multiplier isn't possible because its magic locked (Cant wait 12 days between rebirths, can I?) which costs way too much to push for someone still struggling in the forest in terms of XP gains.
Am I missing something that would make everything go smoother or is it all 'beta balancing' right now?

In the end yeah it's beta balancing. But blood magic multiplies your overall rebirth power. Each rebirth it's set back to zero so yes, you have to gain it back again. So if you have 10 levels in the top blood magic, that's 10x higher rebirth power with than without. If you only just got magic unlocked just do what you can with it, it needs some exp investment to really get rolling.

If you need extra cash flow, you can try upgrading the time machine bar speed, get a higher gold drop in adventure, defeat a higher boss in the current run, etc. All those impact the gold output.

something fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 12, 2017

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks for the explanation! That has an interesting effect on over-night rebirths imo: I woke up to a level 20 blood magic boost today. As far as I can tell there is no way to hasten one's progress through active play. So due to all the big multipliers being reset for the next rebirth it looks like I'd have to play catch-up the whole day to even get close to what offline progress and few hours of sleep brought me. Wait for Energy to cap, distribute it randomly, wait for hours.
My highest boss yesterday was the Excitable Ninja Samurai(42) and currently I'm stuck on the Oriental Dragon again, so no sense of progress here. The only tangible thing I got out of the reset were 'bout a dozen new EXP. I have a hard time articulating my problem with it, it just feels like there's the huge power spike missing here that makes long-brewing rebirths feel so good in other idle games.

quote:

you can try upgrading the time machine bar speed

With 1000 Mana, it takes 12 days and a rebirth resets it, no?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Gold multiplier uses magic, Time Machine bar speed uses energy, which you should definitely be able to level a couple times. At any rate it's meant that you need more than the starting 10k magic to be able to eventually level up that aspect.

The active play comes in NOT just " distributing energy randomly" and actually focusing on certain tasks with vyour resources. You also can active play adventure to kill stuff better than idling can, and improve your gear much faster. As you get further on, the gear will have a wide array of useful bonuses which you can hotswap on/off for whatever benefits you need at a given moment.

The other thing i can say is, if it's taking days to push up to the next boss, then you should try doing faster rebirths even at a slight cost your power multipliers on rebirth, then you can farm exp faster and boost all your EXP stats which are key to getting further. You'll be able to making more augments faster, more bloodmagic rebirth power boosts, better adventure stats will let you push to the next zone and unlock a new set of gear with even further bonuses, etc.

something fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 12, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The issue of a long overnight offline run giving you like a x100 rebirth multiplier that then takes longer than a normal run to get back up again is also present in ITRTG. I don't think you can do anything about that, especially as the player is still better off overall than if he hadn't gotten a giant overnight increase.
A problem I can see with augmentations though is that they don't do poo poo for rebirths as far as I can tell. So let's say you do a rebirth cause everything is slowing down and you want some EXP. You put that EXP in energy power and congratulations you can now build augments slightly faster. That's not gonna help you much because money is the big bottleneck and that will pretty much take the same amount of time to build up again. It will take a LOT of energy power to make me able to get time machine upgrades with any kind of significant speed to get more money. ITRTG kind of circumvents all that by making the upgrades for monuments give rebirth multipliers.
I do love how you automatically get more money as you kill bosses though.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm playing Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms and running into a wall on a mission. I should probably reset it but if I'm wrecking one area just instantly with crazy damage I should be able to dent the boss, one would think. Anyone else playing perhaps have some insight, tips, tricks, etc.

I also feel like I'm doing the challenge missions wrong, where you have a gimped formation. Once I fill it up with the first X guys, the next guy who unlocks is just garbo compared to my first X combat monsters so feels like no incentive to get better guys on those runs.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

something posted:

Gold multiplier uses magic, Time Machine bar speed uses energy, which you should definitely be able to level a couple times. At any rate it's meant that you need more than the starting 10k magic to be able to eventually level up that aspect.

The active play comes in NOT just " distributing energy randomly" and actually focusing on certain tasks with vyour resources. You also can active play adventure to kill stuff better than idling can, and improve your gear much faster. As you get further on, the gear will have a wide array of useful bonuses which you can hotswap on/off for whatever benefits you need at a given moment.

The other thing i can say is, if it's taking days to push up to the next boss, then you should try doing faster rebirths even at a slight cost your power multipliers on rebirth, then you can farm exp faster and boost all your EXP stats which are key to getting further. You'll be able to making more augments faster, more bloodmagic rebirth power boosts, better adventure stats will let you push to the next zone and unlock a new set of gear with even further bonuses, etc.

Is it normal to unlock time machine before whatever is above it in the button list.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Yes. That locked button is for when you unlock every training.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
NGU idle is pretty great and I'm really enjoying it. Thank you for making it!

I am having some trouble progressing though. I can't seem to beat up any enemies in the forest and I'm not sure how to actually build capacity to do it. How did everyone else do this?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Vasler posted:

I am having some trouble progressing though. I can't seem to beat up any enemies in the forest and I'm not sure how to actually build capacity to do it. How did everyone else do this?

You can merge items to increase their stat cap. I don't think you actually need that for the forest though IIRC. It should be possible for you to go into the forest to fight a boss there (back out if you don't encounter a boss), use your skills to defeat it, and get the better equipment that they drop. Then you can power up that item until it's stronger than what you have and once you have a few of those you can idle the forest.

something posted:

Yes. That locked button is for when you unlock every training.

The 10k Level Challenge button is unlocked but clicking it does nothing. Any clue why that is? It also started out unlocked even though I haven't done any challenge yet.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Vasler posted:

You can merge two identical pieces of gear to level them up and increase their max stats. You can also spend EXP on your base adventure stats.

GrossMurpel posted:

The 10k Level Challenge button is unlocked but clicking it does nothing. Any clue why that is? It also started out unlocked even though I haven't done any challenge yet.

Cause it isn't quite implemented yet :v:. It's also probably gonna become a 1K level challenge, maybe lower. Basically, except for training, you'll have X levels total you can level stuff up with. so augments, blood magic, advanced training, wandoos, yggdrasil, etc.

VV Fixed that just now, thank you.

something fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2017

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

something, I've started NGU and noticed that when fighting an enemy in Adventure, its health suddenly is scarily accurate when it's near-death. So the health bar goes like 15... 12... 9.... 6... 3... then really fast changing stuff like 0.3748364728364 and then DEAD.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

something posted:

You can merge two identical pieces of gear to level them up and increase their max stats. You can also spend EXP on your base adventure stats.

Cause it isn't quite implemented yet :v:. It's also probably gonna become a 1K level challenge, maybe lower. Basically, except for training, you'll have X levels total you can level stuff up with. so augments, blood magic, advanced training, wandoos, yggdrasil, etc.

Thanks for the tips! I figured out the equipment merging on my own (your tutorial boxes are very helpful). I've never had a success merging the boosts (power, toughness) yet.

As for how I'm spending my exp - what's the best way to do this early game? For reference, the boss I'm at is Parmesan. On the adventuring side of things my stats are 10 power, 12 toughness, 30 health, 0.36 health regen, 6% energy boost, 10% increase to attack, 12% increase to defence.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I'm playing Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms and running into a wall on a mission. I should probably reset it but if I'm wrecking one area just instantly with crazy damage I should be able to dent the boss, one would think. Anyone else playing perhaps have some insight, tips, tricks, etc.

I also feel like I'm doing the challenge missions wrong, where you have a gimped formation. Once I fill it up with the first X guys, the next guy who unlocks is just garbo compared to my first X combat monsters so feels like no incentive to get better guys on those runs.

Grind. Then you grind some more. Then the good players grind. And generally, other than attack patterns, the new PCs tend to wreck my existing PCs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elendil004 posted:

I've been playing Idol Champions of the Forgotten Realms for a few days and this is what I've observed:

There's 2 types of play in the game: Adventure Play and Free Play

Free Play is your standard ~iterate and soft reset~ play where you are accumulating 2 currencies: Favor and Gems

Gems are the microtransaction currency and dropped by every boss. 100 gems for a Silver chest, which contains a combination of 3 of: Gear up to rare, consumables, a big pile of gold. Bosses also drop silver chests, semi-frequently, but the gold scales to your progress in the current run, so open them later in the run for more gold. Gold Chests contain 5 of: Gear, consumables. Gold chests don't contain gold, so open them ASAP. They can also contain higher rarity gear.

Favor boosts gold find, which in turn lets you level faster, so that's your strandard iteration currency. It can also be spent on permanent buffs to things like damage, gem drops, and ultimate cooldowns. You accumulate more favor based on gold found that run.

So, for Free Play, you want to basically iterate whenever your progress slows, because the added favor will increase progress, and slamming quickly through a bunch of bosses will net you gems and chests. Right now, I'm iterating around wave 120, which means I'm getting a gold chest every 3-4 runs. I leave Jaraxle in my party until after 100 because he provides a multiplicative boost to gold find, but swap him out for another DPS buff when the fights slow down.

Adventure Play is what you're accumulating all this Favor and gear for. They are assorted challenges such as "3 imps take up slots in your formation" or "some characters get debuffed" or "your damage goes down over time so clear each wave quickly". My understanding is that completing the different adventures unlocks additional story areas (so far I've only unclocked Tomb of Annihilation), which each have their own adventure hubs and currencies.

Game is still in Early Access on Steam, but they've had another idler for a while, and their livestream this week on Twitch was decent.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
These are my stats:

and UBCs still take 12 days ughhhhhh

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sindai posted:

How long did it take?

81 days, but I wasn't going for a record or anything.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

something posted:

I think the new combining upgrade in the EXP menu pushed the rest of the tooltips down. i.e. magic bar speed gets the tooltip for magic bars, magic bars gets the tooltop for magic cap, etc.
And the WTF do I do tooltip for augments is the same as the loot combining tooltip.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Garfu posted:

These are my stats:

Considering all the things UBCs lock you out from, that doesn't really surprise me. There's not that substantial a difference between running UBC when you first beat Baal and running UBC when you're pimped out with god power and challenge rewards.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

something Bug report: The tooltips for misc purchases under the Spend EXP window are wrong! Also the "WTF Do I do?" in augments is wrong. I think adding that mod merging skill broke stuff.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sometimes when you attack bosses they get bigger for no reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elendil004 posted:

Sometimes when you attack bosses they get bigger for no reason.

They are supposed to get bigger. The bug is that they stop attacking, so they get massive as you whittle them down.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Vil posted:

Considering all the things UBCs lock you out from, that doesn't really surprise me. There's not that substantial a difference between running UBC when you first beat Baal and running UBC when you're pimped out with god power and challenge rewards.
Yeah I'm aware. I guess the point was gently caress UBCs

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Garfu posted:

These are my stats:

you gotta be doing something wrong because you have 10x my stats and my UBCs are 4 day runs. I think there's a UBC guide on the kong forums I followed when running them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Garfu posted:

These are my stats:

Since you've probably done at least some of all of them by now, how would you order the challenges difficulty-wise?