Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sassassin posted:

They're nowhere near restrictive enough. WH1 had the perfect system for keeping the campaign map from becoming tedious garbage after ~50 turns.

I'd like the WH1 total restriction but with the ability for races to make a limited amount(5 or so?) of Wood Elf-style outposts so it's possible to have a toehold in foreign territory to use as a rally/replenishment point to encourage long distance invasions.

The climate system is kind of a bust for me. I absolutely hate settling orange territory because it's a pain in the rear end to build up and the removal of restrictions on settlement type encourages the more powerful autoresolve factions like the dwarfs to kind of glob everywhere because their PO bonuses generally ignore the major problems of settling orange areas entirely.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only explanation for Skaeling is that the QA manager must have thought they meant a graphics issue.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been diving deep into the Workshop for tweaks to ME, I can suggest these:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1175968223 = Tweaks autoresolve so that missile infantry and cavalry aren't as dominating. Should be of use against the Dwarftide, though I can't find a mod for artillery in particular which should be more relevant.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1169781046 = Removes the PO bonus the AI gets. I find it pretty useful for minimizing AI exclaves, especially in wrong climate areas, because the AI will have to keep an army nearby to handle rebels or lose the settlement.

There's also a mod with buffs to Skaven since I find they underperform really badly in the Old World, but unfortunately I have a Skaven game going on and I can't be bothered to turn it on and off when switching games. Might want to get it if you're not playing Skaven.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tyrion spends the first 60 turns of another campaign fighting Tiranoc alongside the Dark Elf factions while vikings burn Chrace, Cothique and Avelorn to the ground.

gently caress this guy.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

thebardyspoon posted:

It'd be kinda cool to just have an option that lets you pick an opposing faction as the designated big other guy for the campaign. So if you wanted to play as the Dwarves and have a massive apocalyptic battle with the High Elves then you'd select that and then know while you're mucking about in the Old World, Tyrion and Teclis are building up, having an easier time with their enemies and confederating, eventually coming to invade you. If you want to play as the Empire fighting the largest uprising of the Beastmen and Chaos ever then you select them and set about defending your lands from the ravening hordes, etc.

I like the idea that several posters have brought up of having multiple possible apocalyptic scenarios. You can be trundling along playing as Empire, then at some point an event message pops up "Finubar, High King of the Elves has been slain! Malekith the now crowned and acknowledged Phoenix King turns his eyes, and the united Elven forces beyond Ulthuan" spawn a bunch of hybrid High/Dark stacks and have a questline leading to a "final battle". When playing Lizardmen you could on occasion have that continent restructuring thing come back to bite you and the Dwarves call upon the Empire to aid them in vengeance for the Ultimate Grudge.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 12, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I kind of wish Tyrion was given AI that made it a little clearer that he shouldn't cannibalise his own people while the world burns down around him.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

JBP posted:

Yeah I kind of wish Tyrion was given AI that made it a little clearer that he shouldn't cannibalise his own people while the world burns down around him.

Clearly, this is simply what happens when the AI goes down the blood of Aenarion route rather than Defender of Ulthuan. Totally makes sense.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Finished my first Mortal Empires campaign, saving the world from an unstoppable tide of unspeakable horrors threatening to destroy it.

And in between phases of fighting dwarves I also killed some dude called Archaon.

(I really do like the look of that "upkeep and diplomacy scales with size of dwarf faction" thing, it keeps them from getting flattened while placing a cap on how scary they can get)

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Malekith Campaign. Spent do much time pacifying (genocide) the Norsca that dear old mom's invaded Ulthuan without me. Also all but one of my generals has spent so long in the wastelands that they're all gibbering lunatics.

This has actually worked in my favor. The high elves have a kill box for all the armies she sends through the one gate she controls and the two of them bleed out their manpower against each other while I conquer uncontested.

It's good to be King.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
I have a question about woodelves and google isn't giving me a straight answer. I've just taken Lothern and was surprised to find I could build a whole 10 slot city there with special buildings and everything. Can I do this anywhere else?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Pokeylope posted:

I have a question about woodelves and google isn't giving me a straight answer. I've just taken Lothern and was surprised to find I could build a whole 10 slot city there with special buildings and everything. Can I do this anywhere else?

I don't know about 10-slots specifically but data dumps have shown that the the Welves can build real cities in a number of elven landmark regions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wood elves heading to Ulthuan sounds like a loving fun campaign. I also have no idea how to play them.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

In general I agree that ME is now ok so long as one mods (a) climate, such that factions pay more attention to it, (b) dwarf autoresolve, (c)
dwarf upkeep.

Fuligin posted:

In Hearts of Iron IV when you select your nation at the start of a campaign you can also adjust sliders that give material and military bonuses to various AIs, so you can tweak their performance a bit to their liking. I think something like that, but perhaps affecting aggression and auto-resolve, would be a neat feature for Total War.

I would also love something like this.

sassassin posted:

The only explanation for Skaeling is that the QA manager must have thought they meant a graphics issue.

:golfclap:

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

New Butt Order posted:

I don't know about 10-slots specifically but data dumps have shown that the the Welves can build real cities in a number of elven landmark regions.

That's all I really wanted to know. Hunting them down will be a cool side objective.

JBP posted:

Wood elves heading to Ulthuan sounds like a loving fun campaign. I also have no idea how to play them.

I had a really hard time with their start when I tried to be diplomatic about it. This time I dismissed my entire starting army and sent Orion treasure sailing till my city hit lv4. By that time I had saved enough cash to afford two stacks long enough to kill the other Welves. I had the forest to myself by turn 60. I'd be interested to know how long it takes to get there without genocide.

I didn't even know you could build in Ulthuan, I just took it as a symbolic gesture when Tryion began to demand tribute.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

1) Their basic infantry are probably the best in the game once you tech up a bit.

2) Their settlements don't get walls but in the case of the oak map this doesn't make it any harder. You can leave home base lightly defended while you go wild hunt.

3) Make lots of friends. Sign alliances for amber even if you know you're going to break them eventually. Going into an amber deficit isn't a big deal.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

rockopete posted:

In general I agree that ME is now ok so long as one mods (a) climate, such that factions pay more attention to it, (b) dwarf autoresolve, (c)
dwarf upkeep.

What mod are you using to nerf dwarf autoresolve?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyway to get the spawned armies from ritual to not auto-siege a settlement on the first turn?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's the more fun Wood Elf start I'm gonna do this.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

JBP posted:

What's the more fun Wood Elf start I'm gonna do this.

Orion - Treekin, Treemen, Eagles and Forest Dragons cost amber.
Durthu - Elf units above tier 1 cost amber. Includes wardancers, archers beside glade guard, cavalry.

Both are beasts in combat, Orion got a pretty good range attack as well as good in melee.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

A tree-focused Durthu army is pretty slow-paced, reliable, and simple. Orion loaded up with archers and wardancers is the opposite. High micro and quite risky.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Also Durthu's army is immune to attrition, which makes it possible to scour the north from turn 1.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Dongattack posted:

What mod are you using to nerf dwarf autoresolve?

I'm not using one at the moment, just noting the areas that need tweaking.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Flakey posted:

Also Durthu's army is immune to attrition, which makes it possible to scour the north from turn 1.

Never was a big fan of LL abilities that get obsoleted by tech, although of course I see the advantage in not having to wait a bunch of turns for it. It's odd too, I think the specific case of LLs that have immunity/high-resistance to attrition is the only one where the factions in question also have attrition immunity via tech.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
If you go as Orion you get access to the Wild Hunt mechanic later in the campaign once you have a lord in the relevant office, which I found to be a lot of fun. Durthu doesn't get that mechanic at all, which is a shame.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So, uh, who am I supposed to be fighting with Brettonia? Fay Enchantress, specifically. I killed some greenskins to get rid of that initial -infinity order bullshit they throw at you, then killed some skaven and beastmen who were milling about. So now I get rid of the wood elves and/or Mussolini while confederating the rest of Brettonia, right? Because it seems I have to be fighting something all the time to A. Get chivalry and B. Avoid getting hit by that nasty -chivalry trait you get from sitting in your owned provinces.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Foxhound posted:

So, uh, who am I supposed to be fighting with Brettonia? Fay Enchantress, specifically. I killed some greenskins to get rid of that initial -infinity order bullshit they throw at you, then killed some skaven and beastmen who were milling about. So now I get rid of the wood elves and/or Mussolini while confederating the rest of Brettonia, right? Because it seems I have to be fighting something all the time to A. Get chivalry and B. Avoid getting hit by that nasty -chivalry trait you get from sitting in your owned provinces.

Crusade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wow trying to make a bunch of finicky elves fight beastman on a map that is 100% trees isn't fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What's the corruption threshold for that ugly grey circle around settlements?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Foxhound posted:

Beastmen, Estalia, and Wood Elves until you can get a peace treaty out of them. Then you send crusader armies wherever you want to trample monsters. I've been thinking about doing a campaign where I take a Brettonian army to the southlands or whatever they're called to fight all those undead factions + Queek

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Wait, crusader armies? Is that just a term for Brettonian armies or is there actual mechanics around it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Where's the third elven colony for the achievement? One is Teclis start, one is owned by chariot elf in not-America at the start. Where's the third?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Foxhound posted:

Wait, crusader armies? Is that just a term for Brettonian armies or is there actual mechanics around it?

It's not really a thing, it's basically just their schtick in the lore.

Their victory conditions do involve winning a crusade of sorts (an Errantry War) against either the Warriors of Chaos or Orcs, though. It's basically just a difficult Quest Battle that you can't teleport too, but it's pretty fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Nah, just a term. Don't forget to research those techs that give you a boost against the faction you'll be fighting against, because apart from combat bonuses and extra chivalry, you'll also usually get a reduction or even immunity to attrition from their native terrain type/corruption.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Oh ok. Well, I'll probaby clean up the homeland and get rid of Orion and then head into the Empire cause they have a serious vampire problem.
Thanks!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The mod problem I've been banging my head against for the last hour was an effect I'd labelled "wh2_main..." instead of "wh_main..."

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Have your lords sit right outside the settlement. If there are farms there, you might get the farmers trait, which increase income from buildings or something. If you have the church building line in a settlement, they can sit inside and gain useful traits.

The greenskin incursions is a way to farm chivalry, money, experience and items. Recruit 3 lords and have them reinforce the Fay chick when she attacks, gain experience on them all.

Brettonia also don't have supply lines, so more armies are not as crippling as for other factions.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Oh so it's actually only if you garrison? I thought it was inside the province since that's what the trait says.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Foxhound posted:

As Bretonnia you often end up with a pretty stable home province, so lots of players leave a lord at home then sail a stack to the badlands or norsca or wherever you want to go killing for chivalry and gold

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hunt11 posted:

Is there anyway to get the spawned armies from ritual to not auto-siege a settlement on the first turn?

Setup an army in ambush stance beside your capital. This will 100% of the time catch intervention armies.

The ones spawned for the ritual appear when you start the ritual, so you do get the chance to move your armies to react to them. They will often spawn away from any of your armies, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Foxhound posted:

Oh so it's actually only if you garrison? I thought it was inside the province since that's what the trait says.

Put them in ambush stance as well until you get the trait for that. You can also keep them in march stance for a while for another good trait.