Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, there’s another happy ending then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean to be fair the initial argument that Dave used, which I agree with, is that the story isn't why you listen to the dollop, the story is basically a framing device for Dave and Gareth to riff off of. Like 90% of their stories are collated from very publicly available information and almost all of them have wikipedia articles containing everything dave and Gareth go over in the podcast itself, and that was essentially what Dave was reading off of. His argument,and I agreed with, was basically that the riffs and interactions between Gareth and Dave, which aren't plagiarized, is what you're coming to the dollop for in the first place, not necessarily the story.

But then Dave did his usual thing of overreacting and basically pretending like the accusation itself was patently absurd and had no merit and that's when I felt Real Uncomfortable defending him or listening to his podcast

Basically the thing about Dave Anthony you have to learn is that he's a good dude with some severely bad mental issues from a real hosed up childhood which makes him routinely the most overdefensive manchild in the loving world, and he can be and often is incredibly loving vindictive and petty over the mildest things. Being a fan of his means you just sort of make peace that he's like that and just getting over it

I'm glad Gareths his partner in this because boy does Dave need a humble person with the biggest sense of patience in the loving world to prevent him from imploding

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 12, 2017

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
I remember thinking it was kind of ridiculous to rip a dude's words wholesale and be cool with that, but also have an opinion on comedians who steal jokes for their routines.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Basically the thing about Dave Anthony you have to learn is that he's a good dude with some severely bad mental issues from a real hosed up childhood which makes him routinely the most overdefensive manchild in the loving world, and he can be and often is incredibly loving vindictive and petty over the mildest things.

This isn't the first time I've seen a poster mention this, but I don't remember him really talking about it on the podcast. Is it something he goes into in his standup routine? What's the basic gist of it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He talks about it on his standup and Walking the Room, the precious podcast he did which is very hard to listen to unless you want to hear two people with barely contained hatred for each other interacting. His album is called Hothead for a reason

If I'm remembering correctly his dad was a verbally, emotionally, and possibly physically abusive paranoid wingnut who subscribed to basically any conspiracy theory that came around. It's probably why Daves best work is on a podcast about setting the record straight on what actually happened and how terrible white people are; his dad is, to hear him tell it, a racist
Possibly insane abusive piece of poo poo who is willing to believe anything as long as it paints Jews or black people as the culprit

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
If you're willing to invest some time on it, I think he also gets into it in detail on his episode of the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast. I haven't listened to it, but remember it coming up in this thread.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Wow, I've listened to a ton of Dollop episodes and only just now bothered to Google Dave and realized I already know him from other stuff.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Wow, I've listened to a ton of Dollop episodes and only just now bothered to Google Dave and realized I already know him from other stuff.

His brief Office cameo is a great thing for me to point out to Dollop converts.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Walking the Room, the precious podcast he did which is very hard to listen to unless you want to hear two people with barely contained hatred for each other interacting. His album is called Hothead for a reason

I never listened to Walking the Room, but Greg Behrendt always had a rep as a super abrasive dude, so while your post doesn't surprise me, can you go into more detail? Is it real tension or played up for effect? I'd like to listen to it eventually, but it sounds like I might find it tough to get through.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
At this point, as long as Dave didn't jack off in front of anyone, we're good

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

He talks about it on his standup and Walking the Room, the precious podcast he did which is very hard to listen to unless you want to hear two people with barely contained hatred for each other interacting. His album is called Hothead for a reason

If I'm remembering correctly his dad was a verbally, emotionally, and possibly physically abusive paranoid wingnut who subscribed to basically any conspiracy theory that came around. It's probably why Daves best work is on a podcast about setting the record straight on what actually happened and how terrible white people are; his dad is, to hear him tell it, a racist
Possibly insane abusive piece of poo poo who is willing to believe anything as long as it paints Jews or black people as the culprit

Also, Dave's dad was a massive alcoholic who would never provide Dave with any positive reinforcement, and nothing but negative reinforcement. Which is why Dave explodes into the rage of a thousand suns when he is criticized. It's the main way he would self-sabotage, taking anything that wasn't just unconditional praise and blowing it up to become a reason to stop doing (X) thing that was going well. Hence why he is just now becoming a successful comedian, when he came up at the same time as Patton Oswalt, and should have begun sniffing success by the late '90s.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 12, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GlenMR posted:

I never listened to Walking the Room, but Greg Behrendt always had a rep as a super abrasive dude, so while your post doesn't surprise me, can you go into more detail? Is it real tension or played up for effect? I'd like to listen to it eventually, but it sounds like I might find it tough to get through.

Having listened to the entirety of Walking the Room, I'm not sure where that reputation is coming from. I haven't kept up with him recently, but Behrendt always struck me as a dumb goofball sort of guy who occasionally went into cycles of depression like many people. They had a somewhat antagonistic relationship but nothing beyond the usual thing of comedians grilling each other.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Having listened to the entirety of Walking the Room, I'm not sure where that reputation is coming from. I haven't kept up with him recently, but Behrendt always struck me as a dumb goofball sort of guy who occasionally went into cycles of depression like many people. They had a somewhat antagonistic relationship but nothing beyond the usual thing of comedians grilling each other.

And its important to note that Greg fell off the wagon during the Walking the Room run (causing the first "end" of the show), and it really shows during some episodes. It finally ended not because they couldn't stand each other (they are still friends) but because the show was self-deprecating to an unhealthy degree.

The only real fight (besides the drugs) as far as I know involved The Dollop itself which started as Walking the Room side episodes during Greg's absence (when it was just Dave talking alone) and I think Greg got Jealous etc. The name "The Dollop" comes from a filthy bit from Walking the Room.

Also, Hot Head really does spell out why Dave is Dave and is really worth a listen.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 12, 2017

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Didn’t Greg start taking his dog’s Xanax and almost die because it is tuned for canine metabolism?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Piquai Souban posted:

Didn’t Greg start taking his dog’s Xanax and almost die because it is tuned for canine metabolism?

There's xanax for dogs?!

What

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just when I think I've seen the worst the world has to offer, I learn that it is possible for a dog to have a disease which requires the application of xanax to cure.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I swear this came up on an end-of-run Walking the Room to help explain a long hiatus. I remember talking to my doctor wife to make sense of the details.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Piquai Souban posted:

yeah, he got real hosed up on dog pills. as distant as I am from it, it's just hilarious. not so much for Greg and those close to him, I guess.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ppz3dh/stand-up-greg-behrendt--dog-pills---uncensored

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mrfart posted:

There's xanax for dogs?!

What

Being a dog is tough yo. You have to lay around in yards and poo poo on things and then sniff the poo poo.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Grand Fromage posted:

Being a dog is tough yo. You have to lay around in yards and poo poo on things and then sniff the poo poo.

I suppose that does leave the mind open to some deep existential questions.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

No joke, if you've ever interacted with dogs rescued from abusive homes you'll see those posts talking about dog xanax and go "Yeah, that makes perfect sense, I should look into getting some for my dog."

They usually aren't Good Boys and Girls by the time someone comes to get them out of there :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

InequalityGodzilla posted:

No joke, if you've ever interacted with dogs rescued from abusive homes you'll see those posts talking about dog xanax and go "Yeah, that makes perfect sense, I should look into getting some for my dog."

They usually aren't Good Boys and Girls by the time someone comes to get them out of there :(

They're good dogs, they've just been terribly stressed and have a hard time relaxing.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Sorry, should clarify. Wasn't saying they were bad boys, was saying they were Sad Boys.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Okay, that's a pretty impressive tree. Baobab-ish.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sure, you can make a door thru one, but can you drive a car thru one?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I love this dead gay podcast but I cannot handle three hours of Trump Dollop right now.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I love this dead gay podcast but I cannot handle three hours of Trump Dollop right now.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO GARFIE

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'll take it over random stories out of Oceana.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will never, ever, ever, not in a million years, get tired of stories about random Australian assholes wandering out into the wilderness and almost dying

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My great great great grandfather (give or take a great) was the first to find gold in Australia and I hoped there might be a chance he'd pop up in there somewhere.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Snowy posted:

My great great great grandfather (give or take a great) was the first to find gold in Australia and I hoped there might be a chance he'd pop up in there somewhere.

Edward Hargraves? He's mentioned briefly on an upcoming live episode, if memory serves.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Both Trump episodes dropping at once is quite a thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm still on the first trump and it just keeps getting more trump. :negative:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm far down the podcast rabbit hole and my fiancee and I are going to the Thailand show next year.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GlenMR posted:

Edward Hargraves? He's mentioned briefly on an upcoming live episode, if memory serves.

No, James McBrien, but it seemed like they were getting close there.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Senor Tron posted:

I'm far down the podcast rabbit hole and my fiancee and I are going to the Thailand show next year.

Also thought about this. But I'm afraid ko samui will be filled to the brim with Aussies and brits getting shitfaced 24/7.
And june in thailand is gonna be rather hot.
I dunno, might still ask my girlfriend. Or is it sold out?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Did Trump part 2 just cut out at the end for anyone else?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mrfart posted:

Also thought about this. But I'm afraid ko samui will be filled to the brim with Aussies and brits getting shitfaced 24/7.
And june in thailand is gonna be rather hot.
I dunno, might still ask my girlfriend. Or is it sold out?

Having been to a bunch of Dum Dum Club live shows that's pretty much what I'm expecting. Not sold out but resort is apparently selling fast.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Gareth Indiana.

Also can't wait for Trump to force the people in the White House to wear clown suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Maybe I'm just jaded after so many Dollops, maybe it was too long, maybe I'm just tired of hearing about Trump, but I was a little...underwhelmed? I thought the Uber episode was a much better "crazy bullshit going on right now" episode.