Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bobkatt013 posted:

One of the main cops is an ex superhero

And both cops now have powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

One of the main cops is an ex superhero

He doesn't have powers at the start is my point.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Top Ten. Brilliant series by Alan Moore and Gene Ha. Probably the last really good thing Moore came out with. Highly recommended.

Seconding this. Superb series. It was just before Moore took a poo poo all over the America's Best Comics imprint and then retired to complain about everyone like a crotchety old man.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm gonna add to the positive Saga of Swamp Thing buzz. It's one of the best thing DC has ever published, in my opinion. I hope they reprint it in a nice deluxe edition at some point, because the hardcovers are super expensive these days. :retrogames:

e: I just realized I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread because there were two threads posting about really good Alan Moore books at the same time. :downs:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 30, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Croatoan posted:

Seconding this. Superb series. It was just before Moore took a poo poo all over the America's Best Comics imprint and then retired to complain about everyone like a crotchety old man.

He quit ABC because they got bought by DC and Alan Moore had previously been very outspoken about never working for DC again, because of how badly they hosed him over. The fact that Moore continued to work at ABC for any length of time after the sale is a sign of professionalism.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ok

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Also everything Moore complains about is 100% true and the only reason people in the industry get pissy about it is because they've got stockholm syndrome when it comes to the Big Two.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Also everything Moore complains about is 100% true and the only reason people in the industry get pissy about it is because they've got stockholm syndrome when it comes to the Big Two.

To this I say but one thing, buy the big two if you like the characters, buy Indie if you like good stories, by both if you like comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I meant more in the context of working for the big two rather than purchasing their products.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zoro posted:

To this I say but one thing, buy the big two if you like the characters, buy Indie if you like good stories, by both if you like comics.

I’ll add: Donate to the Hero Initiative if you like comic creators

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Zoro posted:

Hey, anyone know any series that focus on super cops? I'm aware of Savage Dragon, though I never read it and am only loosely aware of the premise. I'm thinking of a series where superhumans work for the police force, or some equivalent, and are treated as government employees. It's not mandatory to work for the government, but using your powers is heavily regulated regardless. Want to use super speed to commute? Sure, but you got to use a special lane. Stuff like that. And costume vigilantes are treated much like they would be in real life: wacakadoos. Maybe the villians where costumes, maybe they just have powers. Some element of civil issues between those with powers and those without would also be great.

Basically, a super, super realistic take on how people would eventually acclimate and assimilate superhumans into society.

I'm just wondering if anyone like this exists, especially if it follows the supercops and is done like a police procedural with heavy political elements.
It might not be quite what you're looking for, but there was a short X-series called District X, which featured Bishop working for the NYPD in Mutant Town. It was during Morrison's run on X-Men, Hine's series was one which did a pretty good job of taking that and just running with it. But basically it was a police procedural set in a mutant ghetto.

It only ran for 14 issues, it was followed by a House of M 5 issue mini called Mutopia X.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That poo poo ended the darkest way I've ever seen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

irlZaphod posted:

It might not be quite what you're looking for, but there was a short X-series called District X, which featured Bishop working for the NYPD in Mutant Town. It was during Morrison's run on X-Men, Hine's series was one which did a pretty good job of taking that and just running with it. But basically it was a police procedural set in a mutant ghetto.

It only ran for 14 issues, it was followed by a House of M 5 issue mini called Mutopia X.

Stuff like District X is probably why House of M happened in the first place, I believe Marvel editorial got squeamish with the logical conclusion of "mutants are a persecuted minority" meaning they had their own towns and fashion styles and all that and pulled the plug

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The excuse that removing mutants was supposed to lead to "more creative origins for new characters" was always a pretty weak one. Although I'm pretty sure House of M was just Marvel realizing that every new mutant they create would be owned by Fox.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What are the good recent stories about Lex Luthor and Dr. Doom finding redemption, teaming up with heroes, or acting heroically themselves? I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, and I've been so "out of" the Big Two comics over the last few years, I have probably missed some good stuff.

I vaguely recall that Captain Cold also joined the Justice League after Forever Evil, which I didn't read. I've always been a big fan of him and the Rogues, so did that stick? How are the Rogues in this Rebirth era? Have they reverted back to their pre-Flashpoint personalities, or are they the same as they were during Manapul's New 52 Flash run?

Any more good recent villain "face turns"?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Luthor was with the JLs after Forever Evil too. The comic was actually pretty fun from that point. It starts in trade #6. Captain Cold only helped out for the first few issues there.

Luthor: The Black Ring was a great Lex starring run that's kinda semi-heroic and comedic, or at least not entirely supervillainous.

He's still in the role of a selfish anti-hero protector for Metropolis so will pop up in the Rebirth Super-books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

What are the good recent stories about Lex Luthor and Dr. Doom finding redemption, teaming up with heroes, or acting heroically themselves? I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, and I've been so "out of" the Big Two comics over the last few years, I have probably missed some good stuff.

I vaguely recall that Captain Cold also joined the Justice League after Forever Evil, which I didn't read. I've always been a big fan of him and the Rogues, so did that stick? How are the Rogues in this Rebirth era? Have they reverted back to their pre-Flashpoint personalities, or are they the same as they were during Manapul's New 52 Flash run?

Bendis' Ironman has Doom pulling a face turn, first becoming an ally, then getting his own book called Infamous Ironman.

He also helps the Fantastic Four in Hickman's run before, uhm, things happen in Secret Wars.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 12, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Read Hickman's Fantastic Four run.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Uthor posted:

Read Hickman's Fantastic Four run.

To expand on this further: The entire run is available on Marvel Unlimited, and a year's subscription is probably more affordable than buying the whole run. So, you should probably subscribe, and then you will have access to all of the Secret Wars books too. The main SW books tee up Dr. Doom's face turn in the Iron Man books, so you should probably read those too. I enjoyed all of it. My only regret is that I wasn't aware of the existence of Marvel Unlimited until after I had paid full price for Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF run on Comixology.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Clayface joins the Batfamily in the post-Rebirth run of Detective.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm a sucker for post-JiM Loki as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey all.

Because I'd read through Beautiful Darkness, tiny tiny people living in the corpse of a little girl and enjoyed it thoroughly, I picked and read through another of the author's books, SATANIA https://www.comixology.com/Satania/digital-comic/581646

It starts off as a very Jules Verne journey to the center of the earth, then the wheels come off this adventure fast and hard. Well worth it if you liked Beautiful Darkness. Or maybe Hellstar Remina. Its an utterly phantasmagoric journey that hosed up my brain nicely, its been burning in my mind so much I couldnt sleep last night at all.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Man I love the art. I'm a real sucker for art like that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The artist is Kerascoet, actually the pen name of a husband/wife team. Check out their work!

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I love Sandman by Neil Gaimen, what can I read with a similar tone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Have you read Lucifer?

I've enjoyed what I've read of Unwritten, though I fell behind a few volumes in and never caught up.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I've not read it yet, but my dad has the first trade book so I should borrow that off him at some point. Any other suggestions?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Sandman is kind of a spinoff of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, so read that if you haven't

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lord Banana posted:

I love Sandman by Neil Gaimen, what can I read with a similar tone?

Most other Vertigo books of that era I'd say. Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, etc

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey folks, DC has a big sale going on, and I have only ever read marvel. Looking to start reading some other stuff. Can you give me some recommendations from what is on sale right now? There is way too much to choose from, so any recs, just what you have enjoyed reading would be appreciated. I am open to anything, so long as someone here considers it good.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

B33rChiller posted:

Hey folks, DC has a big sale going on, and I have only ever read marvel. Looking to start reading some other stuff. Can you give me some recommendations from what is on sale right now? There is way too much to choose from, so any recs, just what you have enjoyed reading would be appreciated. I am open to anything, so long as someone here considers it good.

The Multiversity by Grant Morrison is super cheap ($5 sale price compared to $35). Actually most stuff by him is pretty good, though some BSS posters don't like him very much. His work on Batman (especially Batman and Robin where Dick assumes the Bat-mantle) and JLA (with Howard Porter) are excellent. Also rear end (All-Star Superman).

52 was what got me into reading DC. It focuses not on the big stars (i.e. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) but on an ensemble cast.

Hitman by Garth Ennis is very fun and irreverent without going too much into Ennis's excesses (though be warned that there is a character who "fights evil with the power of perversion" and it goes exactly how you think). It's about a hitman (duh) with powers in the meanest part of Gotham.

I'm also a fan of Planetary by Warren Ellis, it's about a team investigating weird stuff from ghosts to kaiju to other dimensions (and they fight an evil pastiche of the Fantastic Four). I especially like the one-shot crossover with Batman that sort of celebrates how the character has evolved throughout the years and yet distills him to his very core.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 22, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't think I could recommend Multiversity to someone who hasn't read any DC. You need Final Crisis to make sense of it, and bunch of other things to make sense of FC.

I love Morrison and all his works but that's not a great starting point. His JLA would be a lot better or All Star Superman.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't think I could recommend Multiversity to someone who hasn't read any DC. You need Final Crisis to make sense of it, and bunch of other things to make sense of FC.

I love Morrison and all his works but that's not a great starting point. His JLA would be a lot better or All Star Superman.

It is a good deal, though! (but yeah I agree)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Start with him at the two Seven Soldiers of Victory trades.
The structure is similar to Multiversity, isolated stories (or in this case miniseries) tied together with a framing narrative that leaks in, but I think it's better.
And it's one of the starts of the chain that leads to Multiversity.

To keep this simple, I'll go for a few modern runs with some variety.
For Batman, you can start cleanly at Scott Snyder's N52 series https://www.comixology.com/Batman-2011-2016/comics-series/6644
Greg Pak's N52 Action Comics has a beautiful first trade https://www.comixology.com/Superman-Action-Comics-2011-2016-Vol-5-What-Lies-Beneath/digital-comic/167938
and the current 'Superman' is among the best things going https://www.comixology.com/Superman-2016/comics-series/71627
Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow was great. There's one jumbo collection for that. Great deal https://www.comixology.com/Green-Arrow-2011-2016-By-Jeff-Lemire-and-Andrea-Sorrentino-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/320730
He also did a really interesting go at Animal Man https://www.comixology.com/Animal-Man-2011-2014/comics-series/6680
which tied in with Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder (as mentioned, famous for Batman) https://www.comixology.com/Swamp-Thing-By-Scott-Snyder-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/263992

Out of those, I think only the new Superman would get you caught up in continuity issues, but it's worth it.

edit: Obvious there's endless ways to go with almost a century of comics. The digital thread has some discussion going on too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 22, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah if you really want to jump in, you could grab Seven Soldiers, Final Crisis, and multiversity for $20 total, which is pretty damned good. You might be a bit lost but that's normal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

B33rChiller posted:

Here are three of my favourite series that haven't been mentioned. None of them require a deep investment in DC continuity.

The Omega Men is about a super space cop getting caught up in a violent insurgency. It's by Tom King.
Batwoman was introduced in the excellent 52 before getting her own run in Detective Comics. It's by Greg Rucka with stunning art from JH WIlliams III.
Gotham Central is police procedural written by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker. It's about how the GCPD handle a world where the Batfamily and their rogues gallery exist.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

I'll suggest some of my favorites for now, I'll edit in more later

Suicide Squad (not the New 52 series or anything that followed, IMO those are to be avoided) https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-Squad-1987-1992-Vol-1-Trial-By-Fire/digital-comic/263972

Grant Morrison Animal Man https://www.comixology.com/Animal-Man-1988-1995-Vol-1/digital-comic/64432

Alan Moore Swamp Thing https://www.comixology.com/Saga-of-the-Swamp-Thing-Book-One/digital-comic/50784

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 22, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Batman: The Black Mirror is a really good story by Scott Snyder and Jock which features Dick as Batman.

https://www.comixology.eu/Batman-The-Black-Mirror/digital-comic/48354?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Seconding Gotham Central and 52 also.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lord Banana posted:

I've not read it yet, but my dad has the first trade book so I should borrow that off him at some point. Any other suggestions?

What do you like about Sandman?

Some contemporaries that were good, but not exactly the same in style: Preacher, Transmetropolitan, maybe Starman. Pretty much any Vertigo from the time.

Books about gods and mythos and stories: Wicked and Divine, Planetary, (going with curveballs here) Kirby's Fourth World, Kingdom Come, Starlin's Warlock.

Epic tales: Bone, Pluto, Simonson's Thor, Hellboy.

Just a bunch of titles that jump to mind when I think of Sandman. Unwritten was probably the closest in style and content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

B33rChiller posted:

The simplest answer is it just pick your favorite series with rebirth on the title and buy the first volume. That's the latest jumping on point for all the currently running series. Some are better jumping on points than others.

From that list, I recommend:
-Batman
-Green Arrow
-New Super-Man
-Superman
-Titans
-Trinity