Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
They're all at the rescue and split into smaller groups in appropriate enclosures now. They should all find homes in due course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

My guinea pig has arthritis

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

vaginal facsimile posted:

My guinea pig has arthritis

How do you find out about that?
Did he have trouble walking or something?
Hope it’s not too bad.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Look at my pig look at my pig look at my piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig

His name is Kirby and he is a good boy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pasketti posted:

FUCKIN

ADORBS

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Thread, tell me about degu.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pasketti posted:

Now, you say this, but two images really doesn't prove much. Indeed, the first one looks like Kirby may have gotten to eat cherries, but he may also have brutally attacked someone. Nevermind the fact he appears to have taken up the violent lifestyle of piracy in the second.

What I'm saying is we need further images to properly verify your claims.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Now, you say this, but two images really doesn't prove much. Indeed, the first one looks like Kirby may have gotten to eat cherries, but he may also have brutally attacked someone. Nevermind the fact he appears to have taken up the violent lifestyle of piracy in the second.

What I'm saying is we need further images to properly verify your claims.

How dare you accuse my boy of anything less than perfection!
He is an innocent little angel! Just look how cute he is when he washes his face!

Yep, nothing sinister about dear little Kirby.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Jedit posted:

From what I've heard they need like, a spare room worth of space because they're so active. I was talking to a pets at home employee about them and apparently a ton of them get returned because they're too much for people (but I guess that could be said about most animals if you don't do your research) to the point where the company was reconsidering even selling them. That was ages ago tho so maybe that was just talk because they still have them. Unfortunately that's all I got for you. Maybe look for semi active degu specific forums???

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jedit posted:

They are chainsaws in an overgrown gerbil's body. You know how destructive gerbils can be? Yeah, they can't even compare. Degus can and will chew through metal and glass. My wife had it happen. They can be interesting, but you have to weigh whether it is worth the destruction that will happen.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

They are chainsaws in an overgrown gerbil's body. You know how destructive gerbils can be? Yeah, they can't even compare.

To fully put this in context we have gerbils and these are our sofas. Each piece of damage took them a handful of seconds.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Hamsters, Chinchillas, & Other Rodents Thread: Each piece of damage took them a handful of seconds

:gerbs:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

mrfart posted:

How do you find out about that?
Did he have trouble walking or something?
Hope it’s not too bad.

She was hopping and I thought she had broken something. Did some xrays and, turns out she has arthritis. Shes on some anti inflamatory for a couple of weeks and then will be as needed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pasketti posted:

How dare you accuse my boy of anything less than perfection!
He is an innocent little angel! Just look how cute he is when he washes his face!

Yep, nothing sinister about dear little Kirby.

Okay Pasketti, blink twice if Kirby is holding you against your will :stare:.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

vaginal facsimile posted:

She was hopping and I thought she had broken something. Did some xrays and, turns out she has arthritis. Shes on some anti inflamatory for a couple of weeks and then will be as needed.

Well, I really hope she gets better with the meds.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay Pasketti, blink twice if Kirby is holding you against your will :stare:.

But if I blink that means going a whole second without looking at Kirby :smith:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I've been busy these past few months, travelling for work and buying a motorcycle. But anyway, back in June we found out that the breeder from which my girlfriend got her chinchilla was closing down, and had to offload around 200 animals.

We immediately asked if she had any senior males (as our female is probably around 10), and we ended up with this guy, who we named Barry. Barry turned 12 on the day we picked him up, and was a breeder for all his life. So he had never been an actual pet, really all he knew how to do was reproduce. Even simple things like running at full speed, eating with his hands, and jumping were things he had to get used to.

Here he is, immediately after the two hour drive home. He was super stressed, and looking pretty raggedy:

He had a rough couple weeks adjusting, didn't want to eat or drink for awhile. The vet's advice was essentially to force-feed him, which did nothing to help with his stress levels. But he mellowed out and learned the ropes:

A bit later, he figured out the wheel. I really wish I had filmed him experimenting with it; it would have made a nice video accompanied by Also Sprach Zarathustra

After a month or so of supervised visitations, we moved him into N00blet's cage, and they've been bonding really well since:

After 12 years of essentially non-stop loving, we're giving Barry his golden years.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I hate chinchilla breeders like that. I breed chinchillas but all of my breeding chins are bonded pairs who live in good sized cages(each pair has a double critter nation) with houses and wheels(did you know chinchillas can chew apart metal wheels? Neither did I!) and shelves and constant sticks to give them plenty of room to run and play, and give the babies plenty of room and objects for exercise and enrichment, which results in babies who grow much faster and are healthier than the big breeders. My breeding pairs are also all pedigreed and several are from show lines.

Of course this does limit how many I can have, no way I could have 200 or something like that. So I don't make much money out of it, but I do get to play with babies constantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate chinchilla breeders like that. I breed chinchillas but all of my breeding chins are bonded pairs who live in good sized cages(each pair has a double critter nation) with houses and wheels(did you know chinchillas can chew apart metal wheels? Neither did I!) and shelves and constant sticks to give them plenty of room to run and play, and give the babies plenty of room and objects for exercise and enrichment, which results in babies who grow much faster and are healthier than the big breeders. My breeding pairs are also all pedigreed and several are from show lines.

Of course this does limit how many I can have, no way I could have 200 or something like that. So I don't make much money out of it, but I do get to play with babies constantly.

Why aren't the dozens of pictures of Chinchillas in your post loading? :f5:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why aren't the dozens of pictures of Chinchillas in your post loading? :f5:

Haha, I will try and get pictures of our current babies tonight, will that satisfy you?

In the mean time, here is a collection of random chin pics I've taken over the years.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKF5EXQnXGcdzckk2

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 16, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been busy these past few months, travelling for work and buying a motorcycle. But anyway, back in June we found out that the breeder from which my girlfriend got her chinchilla was closing down, and had to offload around 200 animals.

We immediately asked if she had any senior males (as our female is probably around 10), and we ended up with this guy, who we named Barry. Barry turned 12 on the day we picked him up, and was a breeder for all his life. So he had never been an actual pet, really all he knew how to do was reproduce. Even simple things like running at full speed, eating with his hands, and jumping were things he had to get used to.

After 12 years of essentially non-stop loving, we're giving Barry his golden years.

gently caress that guy/girl. Thanks for rescuing Barry, I hope he has a great rest of his life. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Khisanth Magus posted:

Haha, I will try and get pictures of our current babies tonight, will that satisfy you?

In the mean time, here is a collection of random chin pics I've taken over the years.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKF5EXQnXGcdzckk2

Aww yeah, that's the good poo poo :lsd:. Should keep me going for an hour or two.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Okay, so my chinchilla Gus is a really picky eater, but I'm new to chinchilla-having, so I wanted to make sure he's not being too picky.

He'll eat pellets and goes crazy for fruit and nuts, shows absolutely no interest in any kind of hay I've tried, and won't mess with any kind of chew stick or toy.

I've dumped out I don't even know how much completely untouched hay. Should I be worried about his lack of interest in chewing, or is Gus just an rear end in a top hat?

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Chinchillas are complete assholes, but Gus should be eating hay. The preferred is timothy hay. Maybe tone a little bit down on the treats? I'm super guilty of that as well (Juneau loves raisins and I can't resist her begging).

How long have you had Gus? Chinchillas really, really don't like change. Maybe he's just getting settled in?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate chinchilla breeders like that.

We were involved in a rescue of ~70 Syrian hamsters recently where the breeder was keeping them in old lab cages. I don't understand the mindset of treating animals like that while claiming you care about them, it's gross.

e; On an unrelated note this little old lady made it through her scent gland tumour removal on Monday without really missing a beat, and is back to her nosy old self already.

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 29, 2017

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Carados posted:

Chinchillas are complete assholes, but Gus should be eating hay. The preferred is timothy hay. Maybe tone a little bit down on the treats? I'm super guilty of that as well (Juneau loves raisins and I can't resist her begging).

How long have you had Gus? Chinchillas really, really don't like change. Maybe he's just getting settled in?

I caught him eating a piece of hay the other day, so at the very least he's touching it, but he still apparently would rather chew on his cage, because he's a dick. I got a different brand of Timothy hay this time, so maybe that'll do the trick?

I've only had him for a few months, he used to be a former co-worker's, but she had to move and couldn't take him with her, and my wife loves both rodents and fuzzy things, so of course we took the fuzzy rodent.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Well, it figures that as soon as I posted about Barry, something would come up. We noticed last week that he was more hesitant in taking hay pellets, and looked pretty mopey. Also, his chest was frequently wet, either from him having trouble drinking, or just drooling. We checked his teeth, and they were pretty overgrown. This was the case when we got him (as he didn't really eat for the first few days we had him), but we figured it had gotten better.

Took him to the vet, and apparently his pre-molars/molars are overgrown too, one with a big spur. So we need to take him in for a teeth grinding, at a cost of a cozy $750. And of course, this is apparently something that is unlikely to go away, and he may need these treatments as often as every 6 months. And to top it all off, putting rodents under anesthesia always carries some risk.

This isn't much fun. We're definitely going to get his teeth fixed this time, but we're likely not able to afford a $750 procedure twice a year. Have to see what happens, I guess. Hopefully he just had a backlog of tooth growth from when he wasn't eating, and this will get him back to a baseline.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 29, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm guessing chinchilla teeth aren't like hamsters or guinea pigs where you can just clip the teeth with modeling snippers and they're fine?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm guessing chinchilla teeth aren't like hamsters or guinea pigs where you can just clip the teeth with modeling snippers and they're fine?

Front teeth can be easily trimmed like this, but not back teeth, so says the vet. That requires anesthesia and a drill.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
We're back in the realm of guinea pigs after almost 8 years, now that the kids are older (10 and 6). I used to have a massive 5' folding table two-story C&C cage, but we're starting small this time.

My wife and I converted an old glass-topped coffee table with a low shelf into a cage with chicken wire around all 4 sides for walls (we're replacing this with storage cubes once I get them cut to size), and wood paneling with wipe off board coating on one side as a floor, with some 1-1/2" baseboard to keep litter and poop from flying out everywhere. Using an old waterproof, washable couch cover as flooring. Also replaced the two glass panels in the top with acrylic with doorknobs for easy removal (top) and veggie hanging (underside screw). It sounds ghetto but it looks really nice, and they have plenty of space. Plus we pigproofed the room it's in and are letting the kids get them out for parent-supervised floor time.

Plan is to upgrade the cage in the future, I still have the folding table from the old cage, but it's nice to have them at floor level so the kids can easily socialize.

We adopted a bonded pair of females from a local rescue on Friday, they're still a bit skittish but can be lured out with a lettuce bag. And they go nuts for raisins (I know, sparingly).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CommanderApaul posted:

We're back in the realm of guinea pigs after almost 8 years, now that the kids are older (10 and 6). I used to have a massive 5' folding table two-story C&C cage, but we're starting small this time.

My wife and I converted an old glass-topped coffee table with a low shelf into a cage with chicken wire around all 4 sides for walls (we're replacing this with storage cubes once I get them cut to size), and wood paneling with wipe off board coating on one side as a floor, with some 1-1/2" baseboard to keep litter and poop from flying out everywhere. Using an old waterproof, washable couch cover as flooring. Also replaced the two glass panels in the top with acrylic with doorknobs for easy removal (top) and veggie hanging (underside screw). It sounds ghetto but it looks really nice, and they have plenty of space. Plus we pigproofed the room it's in and are letting the kids get them out for parent-supervised floor time.

Plan is to upgrade the cage in the future, I still have the folding table from the old cage, but it's nice to have them at floor level so the kids can easily socialize.

We adopted a bonded pair of females from a local rescue on Friday, they're still a bit skittish but can be lured out with a lettuce bag. And they go nuts for raisins (I know, sparingly).

Awesome! I'd love to see some pics of your current setup, if you have a chance to post them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Baby chinchilla pictures!

The first group was taken right before their first dust bath, which they were slightly overdue for because someone decided to eat the clips on the dust bath so I had to repair it. This is a beige and a light ebony out of our ebony-white female and tan male. They are about 2 weeks old at this point.

Next we have a trio of babies, all 3 standard females out of our black velvet female and standard male:

And then finally we have our only male, a standard violet carrier, out of our show-quality mosaic male and show-quality violet female:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
OHMYGOD

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Baby chinchilla pictures!

Look at that little sleepy head. Adorable.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Question for chin owners; does anyone have a clue if chins can live in same room with a white noise generator without going haywire? It's not loud, but still, it's a constant background noise.

I've used one for some years now, first because tinnitus and afterwards simply because it helps me sleep. Personally I don't even notice it any more. Sometimes when friends come by they tell me to shut that hell engine down while I didn't really even hear it :saddowns:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fewd posted:

Question for chin owners; does anyone have a clue if chins can live in same room with a white noise generator without going haywire? It's not loud, but still, it's a constant background noise.

I've used one for some years now, first because tinnitus and afterwards simply because it helps me sleep. Personally I don't even notice it any more. Sometimes when friends come by they tell me to shut that hell engine down while I didn't really even hear it :saddowns:

I don't know about a white noise generator, but several of ours are in a room with a air filter and humidifier that both make steady noise without any issues.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Happy holidays.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Aww :3: that is one content hamster. It looks like you bribed him with food for the picture?

Incase anyone is interested, petco.Com is having a massive sale on carefresh bedding. I just got 4 50L packs for $13.09 each. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/carefresh-ultra-soft-pet-bedding-5004101--1

Also Runty turned 2 yesterday!... and woke up with a crusty eye again. Dosent seem infected and she isn't scratching it. Could just be dust from her bedding. The kaytee clean and cozy unscented I started trying at the beginning of the month coincides with when she started having a crusty eye. She loves to burrow in it more than the carefresh, but for her sake I am switching back.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

-CHA posted:

Aww :3: that is one content hamster. It looks like you bribed him with food for the picture?

Incase anyone is interested, petco.Com is having a massive sale on carefresh bedding. I just got 4 50L packs for $13.09 each. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/carefresh-ultra-soft-pet-bedding-5004101--1

Also Runty turned 2 yesterday!... and woke up with a crusty eye again. Dosent seem infected and she isn't scratching it. Could just be dust from her bedding. The kaytee clean and cozy unscented I started trying at the beginning of the month coincides with when she started having a crusty eye. She loves to burrow in it more than the carefresh, but for her sake I am switching back.
No, I just put her in the bedding and she started tunneling in it. (until she pushed it all out on the floor).
Our hamster almost never eats when she's out of her cage.

We use wood pellets in her cage and cotton fiber for her bedding and she never had any problems with her eyes.
Our previous hamster did have eye probs with some other products, so now we're sticking with what works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

-CHA posted:

Thanks for the heads up on Carefresh! Amazon also has the 50l blue bedding for 13.29 with free prime shipping, so I went with that instead and stocked up! Won't have to worry about bedding for at least a year now.